Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: torque twist has my ascender in constant three wheel motion!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2017, 02:12 PM   #1

Default torque twist has my ascender in constant three wheel motion!

I just finished building an Ascender and relocating the motor and trans up front, the battery to the back and installing the RC4WD body. Truck looks great, but is not really all that practical to drive.

The torque twist is crazy and the stock shocks particularly on the driver rear can't keep up. I get squat that pushes the driver rear up into the wheel well where it just remains.

I have pulled apart the shock to verify that the cir clip is not over the top of the bleed hole, but have yet to drill it out. I have no idea if the cir clip is just moving back over the hole again but I have to assume that is part of what is happening.

I have ordered the aluminum vaterra shocks to see if that can help, but is there anything I can do.

My son has the RTR K10 and has no issues. Mine is crazy bad. Will try and post up pictures later.
Cult Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: torque twist has my ascender in constant three wheel motion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cult Hero View Post
I just finished building an Ascender and relocating the motor and trans up front, the battery to the back and installing the RC4WD body. Truck looks great, but is not really all that practical to drive.

The torque twist is crazy and the stock shocks particularly on the driver rear can't keep up. I get squat that pushes the driver rear up into the wheel well where it just remains.

I have pulled apart the shock to verify that the cir clip is not over the top of the bleed hole, but have yet to drill it out. I have no idea if the cir clip is just moving back over the hole again but I have to assume that is part of what is happening.

I have ordered the aluminum vaterra shocks to see if that can help, but is there anything I can do.

My son has the RTR K10 and has no issues. Mine is crazy bad. Will try and post up pictures later.
I think the best way to deal with torque twist is raising the rear upper link up in the front. These are some risers I made out of some alum.

CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:43 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The other common solution is a swaybar set up. The front swaybar kit for the wraith is an easy mod, I used the wraith swaybar kit made by hot racing. The only thing I had to do was file down the swaybar to get a little more flex.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-ascender/570531-asceder-its-way-post5633536.html

Natedogs ascender thread also covers this option as well as some threads by codyboy.
Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Chris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:14 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

[QUOTE=CODYBOY;5650788]I think the best way to deal with torque twist is raising the rear upper link up in the front. These are some risers I made out of some alum.

Those sliders looks great earnie!! I was working on making some tonight and looking through different people's threads for ideas. Next time you make sliders you should make the riser and sliders all one unit. I've noticed everyone has the riser bolted behind the slider plate. Be nice to make it all one piece. I may have to try this once I get my brazing station set up!!

Old 01-16-2017, 09:11 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Rear link risers have done wonders for my Ascender's. I'm sure a sway bar along with risers would really make a huge improvement, but I'm hard headed and refuse to run sway bars on any of my crawlers (even though I've seen them work)
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:20 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Moving the bottom of the rear shocks outboard helps a little too.
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:21 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

[QUOTE=Chris81;5650923]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
I think the best way to deal with torque twist is raising the rear upper link up in the front. These are some risers I made out of some alum.

Those sliders looks great earnie!! I was working on making some tonight and looking through different people's threads for ideas. Next time you make sliders you should make the riser and sliders all one unit. I've noticed everyone has the riser bolted behind the slider plate. Be nice to make it all one piece. I may have to try this once I get my brazing station set up!!

They are drawn up, but I have to many things on my plate right now. Working on a upgrade for the losi crawler guys. Build is in the losi section.
Ernie
Old 01-17-2017, 04:29 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

[QUOTE=CODYBOY;5650975]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris81 View Post

They are drawn up, but I have to many things on my plate right now. Working on a upgrade for the losi crawler guys. Build is in the losi section.
Ernie
I saw that! Those look sweet!

Old 01-17-2017, 10:03 AM   #9

Well I drilled the shocks out and that has helped. I don't want to run a sway if I don't have to but not out of the question. The main issue I have is the shocks seem undersprung for the weight of the truck. I have moved the battery to the rear and added weight with the RC4WD body. It just seems like the springs are too soft.

Cult Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:27 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

One of the things you can do to get your rear upper link a little higher is swap your slider/ battery mount from side to side and attach your upper link to the battery mount. Best thing is that it's free!
Ernie

Last edited by EeePee; 01-21-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:35 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Trucks look great!

X2 on what Ernie said about rear upper links, getting them higher than that is even better. Vaterra sells upper and lower spring sets in soft, medium and firm, iirc stock is medium upper and lower, they are color coded on the end with paint.

Vaterra Ascender Upper Shock Spring Set Soft,Med,Hard(2ea.) PART NUMBER: VTR233029
Vaterra Ascender Upper Shock Spring Set Soft,Med,Hard(2ea.)

Vaterra Ascender Lower Shock Spring Set Soft,Med,Hard(2ea.) PART NUMBER: VTR233030
Vaterra Ascender Lower Shock Spring Set Soft,Med,Hard(2ea.)
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #12

Thanks for the refresher everyone....all very good suggestions. I found simply outboardinf the rear shocks to be a HUGE diff and thats all I have done so far.
Adubscsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:44 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I just ordered a circle city ascender skid. It has built in front and rear upper link risers that I think will help too. Looks similar to a wraith design and is also flush with the chassis. It will raise the cog but I think it will allow me to use shorter shocks to lower the ride height some regaining what was lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dpcardoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
One of the things you can do to get your rear upper link a little higher is swap your slider/ battery mount from side to side and attach your upper link to the battery mount. Best thing is that it's free!
Ernie
Just did this mod now and my rear upper links are unstable and wiggling. Ideas on how to keep it stable?
goldcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:29 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Looks like you need shorter screws. The nut is bottomed out on the threads.
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:54 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldcrow View Post
Just did this mod now and my rear upper links are unstable and wiggling. Ideas on how to keep it stable?
I agree with the screw length, and are you still using the bushing in each mount?
Ernie
Old 01-22-2017, 09:10 AM   #17

Yes bushings are installed on the inner part. Are both flat sides of the bushing and ball end on the link supposed to be mounted back to back? Or the bushing's flat end and the round part of the ball end?
Old 01-22-2017, 09:32 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

There's this solution
Système anti torque twist Vaterra Ascender - Team3D Audiré Caraïbes
I don't know how it works as I don't have an Ascender, but maybe you could try to do something similar
According to them, it won't reduce your flex
ColdFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:12 AM   #19

Yes bushings are installed on the inner part. Are both flat sides of the bushing and ball end on the link supposed to be mounted back to back? Or the bushing's flat end and the round part of the ball end?

Edit: figured it out, but difference isn't noticeable on my rig. Instead just moved out the rear shocks, I'll test this out on the trail soon.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:04 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Upper links moved up and forward help, really needs about another 1/4 - 3/8" up and same amount forward though. Outboard rear shocks helps too!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

torque twist has my ascender in constant three wheel motion! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ECX Temper Torque Twist Mod - Reduce torque twist driftomaniacs Scale Videos! 0 05-14-2016 04:39 PM
Ascender Sway Bar (Anti-Torque Twist) stillsmokin875 Vaterra Ascender 11 09-20-2015 02:18 AM
Torque Twist? Rockfrog Formula Offroad 1 11-11-2011 08:52 AM
torque twist help? pl3x Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 8 01-23-2010 09:29 PM
Rear Wheel Torque Twist BMFOTP Newbie General 32 04-25-2009 04:21 AM