Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Wider hex for Ascender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2017, 01:46 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Wider hex for Ascender

I'm looking for wider hexes for my Ascender. Can I use all 12mm hexes?

Need to make the K5 more stable. I've already lowered the body, modified the shocks to 5mm less travel and installed wraith swaybar kit. But it still unstable.
So I need to up the track width. Using gmade sr02 wheels with offset 0. Other rims might also help.
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2017, 10:52 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Wider hex for Ascender

Anyone? Wich hex could I use?
Old 01-24-2017, 11:35 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

There are many wheel/axle wideners available, none of them are good for steering geometry or bearing/kingpin wear. I've been very happy with both my Ascenders using RC4WD and SSD stamped steel wheels (about 76 grams per wheel plus tire and foam) to keep them stable and mostly upright while crawling.

I used some wideners back in the day on race buggy conversions and monster trucks, but have not used any since, so I don't know which ones fit. Most wideners I've seen and used require barrel nuts of proper length to match the wideners and make sure you have spares, because ime most LHS don't have them in stock.

LockedUpRC makes aluminuim spacers for their machined aluminum beadlock wheels to increase the wheel width. This is not quite what you asked for, but will widen things up and helps for mounting tires that are wider. Here's 1ton's Ascender build with the LockedUpRC wheels and wideners:
1ton's Ascender

Here's Boom Racing's 12mm hex wideners:
https://www.asiatees.com/article?Boo...deners&id=1592

Junfac's wideners, they've been making these for years:
Wheel Wideners : JunFac.com

I have not used either of these wideners, just know of their existence and trying to help.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:42 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
I'm looking for wider hexes for my Ascender. Can I use all 12mm hexes?

Need to make the K5 more stable. I've already lowered the body, modified the shocks to 5mm less travel and installed wraith swaybar kit. But it still unstable.
So I need to up the track width. Using gmade sr02 wheels with offset 0. Other rims might also help.
Some Codyboy axles would also help with this problem.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:47 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I'll add that just about any hex that fits an Axial axle will fit the Ascender but the holes for the drive pins are not drilled in the same place. The drive pin on the Ascender is further away from the outer knuckle bearing so another brand of hex will need a good amount of spacers (2+mm IIRC) between the hex and bearing.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:02 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

sorry if im outa place but is the chassis twisting/leaning under braking and acceleration is that what you mean bye unstable if so a sway bar might do the trick
steven318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:45 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven318is View Post
sorry if im outa place but is the chassis twisting/leaning under braking and acceleration is that what you mean bye unstable if so a sway bar might do the trick
I've got a swaybar setup. It's sidehilling thats needs to be improved.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:50 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I searched and didn't find an Ascender build thread of yours, but did find several threads you started in this section. You have rear swaybar, that helps some, have you limited shock travel, lowered ride height, body, etc? Is this your current setup or?
Weight distrubution - to front heavy

Pics and specs of your current setup, some pics/video of the obstacles where you have sidehilling trouble would help us to help you.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:31 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

thicker oil in the shocks with stiffer springs might help also what foams are you using in your rims if the tyre is rolling ofer under side hilling ci foams might help
Old 01-25-2017, 05:33 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
I searched and didn't find an Ascender build thread of yours, but did find several threads you started in this section. You have rear swaybar, that helps some, have you limited shock travel, lowered ride height, body, etc? Is this your current setup or?
Weight distrubution - to front heavy

Pics and specs of your current setup, some pics/video of the obstacles where you have sidehilling trouble would help us to help you.
That's just about my current setup except the winch. The body is lowerd, and I've got a Wraith swaybar with a softer torsionbar. The shock travel is reduced with 5mm.

The problem is center of gravity. Before I had my shock travel reduced With 10mm. That helped a lot. The problem then was skid clerance. It got hung up on the skid.

Now i have changed to Hyrax tires. The result is a higher cog, and a more unstable rig.

What i wan't to do is to try to keep the ride heigth, and have a more stable rig. I wan't to get a wider track width either with wider hex or other wheels. And more weight in the axels.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:10 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

theres a fella on facebook rccrawler.it he makes a delrin one that sits flush with the rails its like 25 plus delivery
Old 01-25-2017, 10:29 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven318is View Post
theres a fella on facebook rccrawler.it he makes a delrin one that sits flush with the rails its like 25 plus delivery
A flush mount skid will raise the gearbox?
Old 03-05-2019, 04:10 AM   #13

Get a TRX-4? I love my Ascenders.... I have two. The F-100 and the 1972 Suburban. Geometrically speaking I MUCH prefer the F-100. The 1972 Suburban is very long in the wheelbase and about 1/2 or so narrower width wheelbase. That said, my TRX-4 Sport is wider than either Ascender, and longer than the F-100. -Not to mention Portal Axles. Were it not for the Scale beauty of the Ascenders, I think technically the TRX-4 is superior. Still love my Ascenders. Especially the F-100 which I believe is the most underated truck! Perhaps it is its low CG that makes it so stable
jpt145 is offline   Reply With Quote

Wider hex for Ascender - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wider Wheel Hex? SCX10Dingo Axial SCX-10 8 04-04-2013 12:38 PM
Offset hex... for a wider a wider stance. Willy Smellson Axial Wraith 2 01-30-2013 04:26 AM
slightly wider hex dirtslow Axial Wraith 4 11-02-2012 11:19 AM
Wider wheel hex ? LIFTED-ZJ Axial SCX-10 9 06-30-2010 10:10 PM
Wider Hex adapters? bassguitar Tires and Wheels 0 03-09-2009 08:27 AM