Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Ascender'nMN builds WB4 II

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2017, 03:11 AM   #21

Default Re: Ascender'nMN builds WB4 II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascender'nMN84 View Post
I was wondering how long it'd take someone to notice that. I corrected it shortly after I snapped and posted. Just too excited too late at night after work. Good call. First time I've ever put it together backwards and I put the pic on internet....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Just a question, could you please try the diff cover upside down to see if the stock plastic guard fits on the ssd cover?

Thanks,

Claudio

Last edited by Kleebatch; 03-15-2017 at 03:17 AM.
Kleebatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2017, 07:13 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleebatch View Post
Just a question, could you please try the diff cover upside down to see if the stock plastic guard fits on the ssd cover?

Thanks,

Claudio
I can't currently because I'm out of town and my truck stayed home. My initial guess is it won't fit. I could be wrong though.

Last edited by Ascender'nMN84; 03-15-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Ascender'nMN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:13 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

So the body and cage still haven't been married together yet but I'm getting close to that point. Been a whirlwind of crazy the past few days, so unfortunately the project has been sitting. Latest update though is after talking with Ernie (CODYBOY) this truck is getting some CODYBOY steering added to the front. My original Ascender will just have SSD Ascender chubs and knuckles on CODYBOY axles front and rear. I've already got my parts for my CODYBOY steering ordered and on their way. I can't wait!!

Last edited by Ascender'nMN84; 03-20-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:00 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Ok so a little progress has been made. Finally got around to mounting the cage to the shell. Since I bought 2 cages to make the interior work, if the 2 body pin system I have going gets too annoying, I can swap the rear mounting piece and use longer driveshaft chunks to sit flush on the rod ends. For now, it's fine.

The floor is still on my list of things to finish up. Hopefully tomorrow. Once that's finished I can paint the body and call it "done". My CODYBOY steering axle should be here this week. With my order of parts needed to complete the CODYBOY steering mod, I made sure to include the matching diff cover to go with the front one.

Hopefully more tomorrow to share with an interior update. Thanks for looking!

Old 03-27-2017, 09:28 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Nice Job Ryan, your just having to much fun with your trucks!!!
Keep up the good work posting your build and changes.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:15 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

Thanks Ernie! It's you guys that have inspired me. I lurked on here for over a year before joining and participating and have learned more in these last 2-3 months than I had in almost 2 years of owning my first Ascender kit. I appreciate the knowledge you and the other guys on here share. You guys have made an amateur like myself almost look like he knows what he's doing.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:22 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Your care package is on its way, should solve your problem.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:01 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Interior panels starting to come together. I've kicked it around a couple different ways but to gain the most space I found it was gonna be best to wrap the panels around the cage in 3 sections than 7.

Clamp crazy...

I've got the drivers side rear panel cut and ready to go. Just need the E6000 to cure up a little more and then I'll slap that on tonight. I should be laying down paint on the shell but the girlfriend's son is begging to get outside and play. Priorities...

All for now. I'll post more if I can get some done tonight. Might try to sneak to the LHS and play on the course they have setup alongside the building later today.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:26 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

Ok so I think I finally have the interior paneling "done". Distractions and family time have been cutting into my build time but I have no complaints. With the 6 y/o at his dad's house for the day and the girlfriend on a house cleaning bender, I was able to get stuff cut, trimmed and mounted. The new name of this build is now "The Bottom Line".

To get the seat to sit in the floor nice, I had to throw a few nylon spacers I had laying around on the bottom to clear the link between the 2 cage hoops.

Guess I still have a little trimming to do on the "door" panels along the top. The next issue I ran into is the gap between the cage and dash/firewall

Nate, maybe you could help here but my thinking is once I've painted the shell, I'm gonna go back and attach another piece of black plastic with E6000 to the painted shell. I have VERY little experience with E6000 so I'm not sure how it will act on paint. Something like this is what I'm thinking..

Truck will be coming to work with me this week so I can start laying out lines and tape for paint.

All for now.

"And that's The Bottom Line...."

Old 04-03-2017, 07:44 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Nice work on the build. I really dig the way that cage looks. Hoping Nate will chime in as he knows more about E6000 than I but I used the same on my painted K10 shell to attach my dash. I've not had any ill effects from using it. It's not pulling up paint.
OldNTired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:54 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

I believe Shoogoo is like e6000, maybe a little thinner?I think it also has an applicator that let's you run a fine bead. Only time goo ever pulled paint on me, I had either used too much goo, or had moved the part around too much as I was gluing it down. Use as little glue as u can. After it cures you can always add more to strengthen any weak spots.
rag6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:40 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking for my "dash" I'm just gonna drop 3-4 blobs across. Drop some on the corners if need be later like you said. Sadly, I have to claim this as my best work as I've never attempted anything like this before. I'm not ecstatic with the results but I don't hate it either. Still gonna add a few scale details front and back but I'd call it 90% complete. Again, thanks for the advice and feedback. I appreciate it greatly!

Old 04-03-2017, 10:08 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Dang, looking great! E6000 is pretty similar to ShoeGoo but thinner and I have not had any problems with applying either over paint as long as the paint is sticking to the body well. I'd do as you're planning, glue that dash piece in after paint and as said, only takes couple spots to hold it in and not rattle.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:21 AM   #34
Rock Crawler

Thanks Nate! Ernie's care package showed up at my work on Saturday but no one called to tell me!?! Little upset but I need hex's before it can roll anyway. I've got TBL in my truck so, since its slow around the ol surplus shop today, I think I'll do some wrenching.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:27 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascender'nMN84 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking for my "dash" I'm just gonna drop 3-4 blobs across. Drop some on the corners if need be later like you said. Sadly, I have to claim this as my best work as I've never attempted anything like this before. I'm not ecstatic with the results but I don't hate it either. Still gonna add a few scale details front and back but I'd call it 90% complete. Again, thanks for the advice and feedback. I appreciate it greatly!

it requires some finish work but you could snag a 3D printed dash for $15. Had to do a fair bit of sanding and used a different wheel from the Axial Interior sprew. Better than anything I could have come up with myself. lol.
sorry it's a little blurry.

OldNTired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:36 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

I've kicked around that idea too. I know there are also full interior kits available now that look pretty sweet. I don't think I'll go full cage in my original Ascender, so when I get around to making an interior for that I'll take a look at 3D printed or something along those lines. Thanks for the input. Looks good!

Old 04-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Get your hexes yet? Interior?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:15 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Hexes came in Thursday. Worked perfect. Now the issue I have is wheels. Somehow my cheapo RC4WD 1.9 beadlocks ended up on the 6 y/o's ecx temper with mudslingers. They aren't the XL's so they'd look really small on this truck. The Axial beadlocks that my original TSL set is mounted on hits the ring hardware on the knuckle. Now yes I could probably simply file the knuckle down slightly, but these are brand spank'n new SSD knuckles. I will be donating to the RPP and SSD funds later tonight. Interior sadly still sits as last shown. I've gathered a few more items to place inside. Some need to be painted to look like what I intend them to be. Firing one of our 3 full-time employees recently has made for some busy shifts the last week or 2. I was at my LHS today to get paint for the shell and forgot to get model paint.... Still not sold on what have in my head for the body yet.

Last edited by Ascender'nMN84; 04-08-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:16 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

Today is yard clean-up and getting some work on my backyard scale trail area.

Last edited by Ascender'nMN84; 04-08-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

Some shots of today's project. The stack with the dirt on top and tires and rocks on the sides was built last summer. I need to get a bunch of dirt delivered this summer and keep cruising Craigslist and FB for free rocks. Always.More.Rocks..

Ascender'nMN builds WB4 II - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3 new builds Roxzoff Racing General Scale Talk 2 09-07-2016 09:21 AM
2 1/6 builds blwn71 Large Scale Rigs 2 10-24-2013 05:54 PM
looking for prerunner builds. post builds here wcdfmt510 General Scale Talk 19 06-27-2013 09:48 PM
K2-3L builds? 701 Technique Newbie General 4 05-18-2008 09:47 AM
Best Builds! kwanna03 General Crawlers 28 07-08-2007 02:21 PM