Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Ascender'nMN builds WB4 II

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2017, 07:29 AM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Ascender'nMN builds WB4 II

SSS wheels and a hobbywing 1080 ordered. I've got a deal in the works for a "2 packs run through it" Honcho today.

"You're gonna need a bigger boat!"
-Chief of Police Martin Brody-

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Ascender'nMN84; 04-09-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Ascender'nMN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2017, 11:55 AM   #42
Rock Crawler

There's no place like home.... There's no place like home....

Old 04-13-2017, 12:40 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascender'nMN84 View Post
There's no place like home.... There's no place like home....

You go Ryan!
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:50 PM   #44
Rock Crawler

Sadly I can't go anywhere for a little less than 4 hours. Tire selection isn't 100% but I've been happy with my Growlers on my first truck. I was just thinking something a little more aggressive in the treads. The search continues...

Old 04-14-2017, 12:04 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

So after getting the SSD wheels, Crawler Innovations foams and the Hobbywing 1080 in the mail yesterday I has hoped to get some bench-time in last night but that was thwarted by family movie night again. Did manage to mount up one of my original TSL's on the SSD rim. Also got the servo turned and I think that's all buttoned up finally. Full clearance for the servo horn all the way around now! Think for now I'll just keep the TSL's on there until I paint the shell and button up the interior details. I know I know... looking like a damp Saturday around Minnesota so hopefully bench-time tomorrow!!

Old 04-14-2017, 08:47 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

I love your jack stands. Although I've been using pede tires lately
rag6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:56 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

It was closer than my pede tire was lol. Jack stands by New Bright!

Old 04-15-2017, 05:25 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

Almost there....

Old 04-15-2017, 07:47 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

FYI those spare masking pieces do NOT work for the 2-tone paint job. I sat there trying to piece it together for quite some time and could not get it figured. So old school tape and cut was the route I went. I'm debating painting a stripe along the outside between the red and gunmetal. Stickers, get the grille mounted and lights. Lots of lights.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:58 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

I suggest rc4wd Iroks. They are an amazing tire. Work well on rocks dirt and mud

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
wblteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:57 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

Black moulding stripe would really look nice with the black cap... really like the colors!
rag6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:12 PM   #52
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
Black moulding stripe would really look nice with the black cap... really like the colors!
Thanks! Yup that's kinda my thinking. I wanted to do it in the masking phase but after the window moulding mask fighting me and going back and forth how far forward and around I wanted to go with the red, I just forgot I guess. I'm thinking about blacking the gunmetal over the wheels too.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:24 AM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascender'nMN84 View Post
FYI those spare masking pieces do NOT work for the 2-tone paint job. I sat there trying to piece it together for quite some time and could not get it figured. So old school tape and cut was the route I went. I'm debating painting a stripe along the outside between the red and gunmetal. Stickers, get the grille mounted and lights. Lots of lights.

Looks great, I think painting the trim along that lower trim piece would look great. I used some automotive pin striping on my truck for fine lines like that. You can see the fine black line between the silver and blue stripe on my truck (I did it because my paint bled under the tape and I had a crappy edge, but it actually made it look better anyway with the extra contrast). It's held up amazingly well for a sticker!! Plus when it gets scraped up you can just replace it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Chris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:28 AM   #54
Rock Crawler

Good idea! With it being Easter, I'd imagine most places are either closes or running limited hours today. I'll see if I can't find some of that first before laying down more paint. I cut it DAMN close so I don't think there's enough in the can to finish off what I'm wanting to do.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:40 AM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Might be worth trying first. Can always take the stickers off and paint later if it looks shitty

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Chris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:11 AM   #56
Rock Crawler

So it's been quite some time since I've updated this and the truth is there hasn't been much progress. Any "spare" dollar or minute I thought I would have has been spoken for already. Bills, 1:1 parts on 2 vehicles, 2 surgeries for my poor cat. Just can't seem to find up some days. Tomorrow I fly down to Florida to help my dad pack up his house and retrieve my childhood wares before they're sold or donated. I'll be driving back and noticed that Horizon is doing their RC FEST in Illinois on Saturday. I'd REALLY like to bring this truck along but I'm not sure how I'm gonna squeeze that K5 shell in a carry-on. Chassis fits in my backpack just barely. I'd rather leave the truck home than check it simply cause I don't have time to risk them "losing" my bag and I've seen how they treat bags but man is like to have it along. Tools and charger will stay home and I'll just grab some either in Florida or they're gonna be selling stuff at the event. Never tried to fly with my truck before so if anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:00 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

I hear you on other things that require time and money, life responsibilities.

Here's some air travel tips for RC:
Traveling with Lipos and need help.

Traveling with RC's

Travel

International Travel with RC - Easy
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:08 PM   #58
Rock Crawler

Thank you as always Nate! A lot of the stuff I had read was a few years old and with that monster of a K5 body I was hoping one of the Ascender guys mighta traveled with theirs. I might need to do a last minute carry-on roller bag shopping stop on my way home. If it does make the trip, I'm gonna lose the light kit I have 1/2 way installed to eliminate some wires.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:29 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

You're welcome, I've not air traveled with mine, but have traveled in company van extensively with it. I did Googly search for, "rccrawler.com air travel with rc" to find those results, but most of them are not super current, but have good info. I'd definitely to the carry on roller bag and bring only what you need, basic maintence tools (prolly have to go in checked baggage), lipos, charger (dunno but prolly better in checked bag?), truck and some spare screws, cvd, spurgear etc. No way I'd let them smash my crawler in checked baggage lol.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:15 PM   #60
Rock Crawler

Lipo's in the plane cabin with me for sure. If I decide I can't get around not checking a bag I can toss some of that in. A while back there was a thread about multi-tip drivers and the pro's and con's of them. Well my "decent" multi-tip has a rounded driver or 2 and since you only need 3 or 4 I'm up that certain creek lacking means of propulsion. Figure I can either get a new set of tools in Florida on Thursday or at RC Fest possibly. Gonna skip the charger and get a "cheap" one in Florida. Can never have too many chargers..

This is gonna be a hectic, not a ton of play time, trip. Get in late Wednesday, Thursday is pack up my old man's house he's had 30+ years and get in the car Friday morning early enough that I miss rush hour in Atlanta and Nashville. As much as I'd love to take my time and go play with my tiny truck in the mountains in Tennessee, if I have any hopes of making it 1600 miles in 2 days by myself with a 2 hour stop at RC Fest, I need to practice my adulting (not adultery you cheeky monkeys) skills and focus.

Ascender'nMN builds WB4 II - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3 new builds Roxzoff Racing General Scale Talk 2 09-07-2016 09:21 AM
2 1/6 builds blwn71 Large Scale Rigs 2 10-24-2013 05:54 PM
looking for prerunner builds. post builds here wcdfmt510 General Scale Talk 19 06-27-2013 09:48 PM
K2-3L builds? 701 Technique Newbie General 4 05-18-2008 09:47 AM
Best Builds! kwanna03 General Crawlers 28 07-08-2007 02:21 PM