Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: my K10 cystic fibrosis tribute built - 2 speed with a twist, dual winches Pic heavy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2017, 08:01 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default my K10 cystic fibrosis tribute built - 2 speed with a twist, dual winches Pic heavy

So i figured i should start a build thread of my ascender. I've had a couple of SCX's, a couple of night crawlers, (still do) a sawback, etc. I bought this thing and man i love it. it's just so solid.

anyway, I wish i had taken pics of how it came... but i didn't. but you guys have all seen stock ascenders before. So it showed up and i immediately knew this was the one i wanted to build.

I started out addressing the front bumper. Servo winches are cool but i like the look of a scale winch hanging off the front. I wasn't wild about the ascender bumper options out there so i bought this SCX10 bumper. I thought the tube look fit the look of the rig. And i got to building.

i had to lower the body slightly in the front but otherwise it was basically a bolt on.

In the rear i made a small plate from a stock Traxxas slash front skid lol. i just needed a piece of flat plastic. and i mounted the rear winch into that little spot.

next i used some scx10 shock keys i had laying around and relocated the upper shock mounts:

also i grabbed some method beadlocks and proline swampers off a buddy of mine that needed to thin his tire bin out some. i think it sits pretty good right here...
2k2wranglerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2017, 08:07 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: my K10 cystic fibrosis tribute built - 2 speed with a twist, dual winches Pic hea

So both of my Daughters have Cystic Fibrosis. CF is a terminal disease that affects the entire body. My girls have one of the more sever forms (f508del for those who are familiar). they have both lunch and pancreatic issues. basically its a salt disorder that creates a sticky mucus that clogs the lungs/pathways leading to lung infection and eventual failure of the lungs (a 20 year old cfers lungs look like an 80 year old smokers). my girls also have pancreatic insufficiency so they have to take artificial enzymes when they eat. and Penelope (the youngest) has some liver issues.

Anyway my silly girls:

https://scontent.fphl2-2.fna.fbcdn.n...71&oe=598FA36A

that unfortunately spend way too much time like this:

and this:

so anyway, since CF ends up becoming your life (as with any terminal illness) i figured i'd use the vinyl cutter and do some custom stickers for the ascender.

need to shrink this a bit but that rose is SO fine it's hard to make smaller

Old 04-07-2017, 08:12 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Re: my K10 cystic fibrosis tribute built - 2 speed with a twist, dual winches Pic hea

So i'm also a big fan of lights on crawlers... I know function wise they're just added weight. But i enjoy the heck out of them. so I started to do the lighting. Still not sure how i'm going to deal with the buckets for headlights but figured i'd start on the chassis.

I added 4 integy lights to the front bumper. drilled out the metal bar (that was fun) and added 2 up there, and then 2 on the flat part of the bumper:

The rear cross member actually holds 5mm LED bulbs perfects. a dab of CA glue and they're in there solidly.

and another look at the side:

Old 04-07-2017, 08:21 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Last night i started working on some of the mechanical parts of the crawler.

110 mm rrd shocks front and rear. Rears are outboarded. Fronts are on keys

also, to handle the 10 oz wheel/tire on each corner, i upgraded the steering servo to a 500oz Savox with adjustable no brainer BEC:

and then got on to the interesting stuff... I traded an SCX for a twin hammers the other day. i was 150 bucks into that scx so why not. I yanked the trans from the twin hammers and the swap fun began:

1 freaking screw. 1 little tiny 1.3mm screw is the reason i had to pull the case apart to swap the mounts.

Success! swapped in a 55 turn motor i had laying around (that i did NOT solder the wires to... wherever i got it, the previous owner did that mess). I just wanted to check proof of concept for the rig. Then work out gearing/motor. What i want is high gear to be very close to stock, with low gear being VERY low. 55T wasn't bad. But I ordered an 80t rebuildable to try out.

2 am this was where i was at:

and i was wrecked. the wiring is just laying there. it's all just to test everything out. once my JCAD battery tray FINALLY gets here (they were out of stock when i ordered... but you know how it is... impatience!!!) i'll be able to move everything forward on the chassis.

also now the twin hammers is sadly hanging on the wall. with it's heart ripped out lol:

So with the lower gearing from the ascender trans (that's going into the twin hammers) i ordered a 4300 kv brushless setup. and i figured i can always put a bigger pinion in it if it's still slow. on 3s my guess is it'll still be fun. I'll never "crawl" that rig. so no reason to go with a crawl style motor/esc setup
Old 04-07-2017, 08:29 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

So what's next....

well... i ordered an 8 channel flysky setup... not hacked, but the 6 module add on. That's on it's way on the slow boat. along with an 8 channel receiver. the plan there is to run:

Channel 1, 2 steering throttle
channel 3 - trans shifter
channel 4 front winch
channel 5 rear winch
channel 6 suck down winch for front?
channel 7 rock lights/headlights/chassis lights
channel 8 Light bar/aux lights

I have a set of losi night crawler rock lights that i'm going to install.

I have a RC4wd winch controller on the front now but i ordered 2 small 60 amp esc's to run the front and rear winches. i'm curious to see how that setup works out. Some guys on the facebook page recommended it.

I also need to figure out the light bar. I ordered the shortest roof rack i could find with the intention of running more integy lights on top but even this one was way too big.

Jazrider Steel Luggage Tray Roof Rack w/Light For 1/10 RC Car Truck Tamiya Axial

so i may have to take the body to the LHS and go through what they have rack wise. i'd like to have some cool scale stuff in the rack. if i need to i'll just do up some chicken lights and a kc 6" LED light bar. But i was trying to keep it all round lights.

So that's where i'm at. Headed to california for a week tomorrow. So it'll be a week before anything else gets done on this. But i'll update as the build goes along.

oh something i forgot to add. added some work lights to the bed the other day.

you can also see the rock rails i forgot to mention earlier as well.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:35 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Looks like you're having to much fun with your K10. And a very nice tribute rig for you two girls! Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:03 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

X2, welcome to RCC and congratulations on your new Ascender! Looking forward to seeing your TH basher with the brushless setup too.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:33 AM   #8

Man this thread kills me. I'm very sorry to hear about your daughters having this horrible disease!

Nice looking truck for a good purpose though!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:08 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys,

i've been around a long time. I just never post. usually just read.

I appreciate it with the girls too. They're awesome kids. the oldest (amelia) has a night crawler and a dromida SCT and she just got a slash.

If any of you guys have kids that watch youtube. she has her own channel where she does everything from role playing with dolls to opening up toys (or rc cars).

https://youtu.be/07qeM8osd6k

she wants fan mail and comments so bad lol
Old 04-07-2017, 04:45 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Great rig, looking awesome!!! As someone in the medical fieldI work in imaging, xray and ct scan, and a father, my heart and thoughts go out to you and your family. I am always amazed at the strength and bravery kids and their families manage to have evenwhen faced with terrible news/prognosis. I'll certainly check out your daughters you-tube channel and leave her some messages. Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Chris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:27 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Yes, watched her pink Slash video, can't comment since I'm not signed up for it and already signed up for more sites n stuff than I can remember at times.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:32 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Thank you guys for commenting. I wish you could have seen her face and heard the excitement in her voice when she read the comments.

I'm in cali with her till the 18th. Hoping my parts are waiting for me when I get home to continue the build.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:23 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Thank you again for commenting guys.

So we are finally home from Cali and I'm ready to get this thing together

My 8 Channel radio and receiver are in. Along with more lights and some scale parts.

Unfortunately the 6" of light bar is too big for this body. So I'll have to exchange that for a smaller one.

Also the other day our neighbor wanted to so some trail riding with the kids.

But the night crawler with a 55 turn was just way too slow. So today at the hobby shop I bought kiddo one of these

So that I can get my rig back lol (she stole it because hers was too slow)

So the ascender build continues. Stay tuned for some updated shortly
Old 04-29-2017, 07:45 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

One step forward and 2 steps back.

Battery tray came in. Ended up with a bpc because jca can't seem to get their parts to work. I ordered a setup 2 months ago and it's not here. So I ordered this bpc and am very happy with it...

Unfortunately I can not find the piece that turns my servo 90 degrees. I don't know why the k10 came with it set up horizontally not length wise... So I ordered an aluminum mount... from Hong Kong. Sigh.

This build is taking forever to get rolling.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:41 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

So while I'm waiting on my servo mounts I figured I'd get some other stuff ready to go.

Rock light housings from a night crawler fit really well

Also had to cut the fuel cell a little bit to fit the 8 Channel receiver

This rig won't be run in any water. It's just not going to be set up for it.

The 8 Channel radio...

S many switches

Also got the 80 turn in.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:08 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Yes, I wish the rx box was 1/4" deeper, little longer wouldn't hurt either so that we don't have to be so careful to not smash the wires where they enter the back side of the servo plugs into the rx.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:18 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

If you could get away with a six channel receiver the hobby king ones have the plugs pointing upwards and fit really well in the box �� And they bing no problem with the gt3c. Or de case the 8 channel to gain a few mm �� That's how I'm running one in a summit looks good dipped in plastidip ��
bradyrx70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:23 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Just a link if it helps 😀

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobby-ki...er-6ch-v2.html
Old 05-02-2017, 01:33 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Sorry didn't quite see the extra switches lol
Old 05-02-2017, 01:35 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyrx70 View Post
so that'll bind to a flysky? i can live with 6 channels if it fits better honestly... hmmmm

my K10 cystic fibrosis tribute built - 2 speed with a twist, dual winches Pic heavy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please, we need your help by rising money to find the cure of Cystic Fibrosis. thetinman85 South Carolina 0 01-09-2014 04:46 AM