Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Front CV axle went pop!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2017, 04:48 AM   #1

Default Front CV axle went pop!

So my son just got a K10, just into his second battery and the front CV knuckle exploded. Do you think it was a fluk and just buy another set of axles, or are the stocks weak and need to upgrade. One side broke out, not sure if it was flawed or not.
I see GPM and Vanquish options out there, any others?
IWL BCNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2017, 06:00 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Front CV axle went pop!

I've not read about many people having problems with these, I know I've run mine pretty hard in lots of rock and not had issues. Not sure what the price difference is but if upgraded parts are not much more$$ you've got a good excuse to buy them now!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Chris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:29 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I exploded one on my 2nd battery pack also lol. It snapped the ball off the stub in the knuckle. I upgraded to the Vanquish units and never looked back. I've been brutal with it on Tekin Pro 4 power since and no problems.
DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:24 AM   #4

I've never had an issue with my Ascender CVDs either and I beat the snot out of it!

Don't get GPM. I don't know about the VP items, but if it's like everything else it's probably not much better than the stock ones.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:52 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewHammer View Post
I exploded one on my 2nd battery pack also lol. It snapped the ball off the stub in the knuckle. I upgraded to the Vanquish units and never looked back. I've been brutal with it on Tekin Pro 4 power since and no problems.
My K5 has been fine, my K10 broke one right at same spot. The replacement that I bought from Horizon is noticeably thicker where the ball attaches to the shaft, it has not broken yet, but I bought set of Vanquish as spares just in case.

GPM have not been better, Itali83 iirc and couple others ran them and they broke too.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:35 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
My K5 has been fine, my K10 broke one right at same spot. The replacement that I bought from Horizon is noticeably thicker where the ball attaches to the shaft, it has not broken yet, but I bought set of Vanquish as spares just in case.

GPM have not been better, Itali83 iirc and couple others ran them and they broke too.
I have bought the GPM axles. They were noticeably thicker and had a bigger pin in the pivot point. I only got them because the vaterra brand ones were back ordered and no other options. The GPM's seemed to have a few degrees less of turning because of the bigger pin but it wasn't really noticeable.

For the record, I've yet to break anything on my trucks. I bought those axles because I was building my own weighted axle set up and wanted to just pull link mounts and swap out axle as a whole assembly.

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:26 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for clarifying Ben, I recall the few degrees less steering with GPM too. Somebody here broke the GPM, musta been Pete959, he's a great durability tester.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:46 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Thanks for clarifying Ben, I recall the few degrees less steering with GPM too. Somebody here broke the GPM, musta been Pete959, he's a great durability tester.
That's for sure! lol
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:59 AM   #9

I went Vanquish, they really look nice, he hasn't run it yet.
IWL BCNU is offline   Reply With Quote

Front CV axle went pop! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Narrowing front Wraith Axle for front of scx10 rusty577 Axial SCX-10 12 02-02-2013 10:30 PM
Rear Axle Pop sally1800 Axial XR10 28 04-21-2012 11:23 AM
front axles pop out swood74 Axial Wraith 6 07-26-2011 11:32 PM
front steering linkage behind front axle kit? slip408 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 09-14-2008 01:16 AM