Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Vaterra aluminum coil over shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2017, 02:39 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Vaterra aluminum coil over shocks

Anyone happen to know what weight shock oil comes in the (VTR334017) Vaterra aluminum shocks? Any recommendations on what oil weight I should use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fishcharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2017, 03:28 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Vaterra aluminum coil over shocks

I've read 30wt works well in them, and also limit them internally 5 or 6mm.

2-shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:28 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

So I actually just took these off my truck. They just didn't pass my bench test as I felt like the collar was grabbing too much on the threads and they seemed to want to lock into place and not move until forced. I would set it on a spare tire or 2 and whatever wheel was raised by the tire would stay when I picked the truck up. One of my other big gripes was the top mount and the lack of pivot ball. Yes there are ways to get close with fuel tubing or shrink tube but I was never 100% satisfied. Sitting at the bench tonight looking at them I solved part(s) of my problem(s).

Sticky collar? I'm gonna give them a go without the upper spring and collar.

Lack of pivot ball issue? Steal the tops off the stock plastic shocks as they screw on just fine. They might leak or come loose but I figure it's worth a shot.

I'll report back after get around to making the change.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ascender'nMN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:11 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I hear ya. I ended up sanding the inside of each collar and that really did the trick.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:29 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I had a RTR Ascender a couple years ago. I didn't keep it long, ended up selling it to fund another project.
Anyway.... I put the Vaterra aluminum shocks on my RTR. It seems like I used the the pivot balls out of the stock shocks, and put them in the aluminum shocks. I can't remember for sure, but I did something like that. I know that didn't use fuel tubing or shrink tubing on them.
Did you try popping the pivot balls out of the stock shocks and put them in the aluminum shock caps?

Old 08-07-2017, 07:21 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-shot View Post
I had a RTR Ascender a couple years ago. I didn't keep it long, ended up selling it to fund another project.
Anyway.... I put the Vaterra aluminum shocks on my RTR. It seems like I used the the pivot balls out of the stock shocks, and put them in the aluminum shocks. I can't remember for sure, but I did something like that. I know that didn't use fuel tubing or shrink tubing on them.
Did you try popping the pivot balls out of the stock shocks and put them in the aluminum shock caps?

Yes I tried a number of things. The stock ones would just float inside the top hole of the shock. I took the truck out yesterday and messed around with it. Stock plastic caps on the aluminum shocks worked well. I also ran them with just the lower spring with the adjustment collar all the way down. So far so good with this setup.

Ascender'nMN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:25 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascender'nMN84 View Post
Yes I tried a number of things. The stock ones would just float inside the top hole of the shock. I took the truck out yesterday and messed around with it. Stock plastic caps on the aluminum shocks worked well. I also ran them with just the lower spring with the adjustment collar all the way down. So far so good with this setup.

Hmmmm.... Ok. I remember using something in those aluminum shock caps. I just can't recall what I did exactly.

Regardless... Good to know the plastic cap is working for ya!!

Old 08-07-2017, 09:46 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishcharger View Post
I ended up sanding the inside of each collar and that really did the trick.
I havent' had much problems with the floating spring collar sticking, but after reading about other peoples', did sand them smooth inside while I had them apart.

Quote:
That's what I did with a flat washer on the outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascender'nMN84 View Post
Stock plastic caps on the aluminum shocks worked well.
Nice to know the caps interchange.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:31 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Yes I put the stock pivot balls in the aluminum shock cap. What I did was put an o-ring on the inside against the flange side of the pivot ball and that got rid of the excess movement.

Vaterra aluminum coil over shocks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vaterra coil over shock JIMBO1810 Newbie General 1 03-04-2017 09:25 AM
Vaterra Aluminum shocks adjusting nickunger2784 Vaterra Ascender 2 09-23-2016 08:50 PM
Vaterra Adjustable Coilover Aluminum Shocks JatoTheRipper Vaterra Ascender 16 06-24-2016 09:43 PM
Vaterra aluminum shocks Power to Satisfy Vaterra Ascender 9 01-11-2016 06:59 PM