Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Questions about narrowing axles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2017, 03:26 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Questions about narrowing axles.

I'm thinking about narrowing my Ascender axles, but I have a couple questions.

I've been reading some threads about narrowing the axles, and I've seen that some people have narrowed them 6mm and 12mm.

When they say that they narrowed them 6mm, is that 3mm per side, or is it 6mm per side?

How much do I narrow the Ascender axle to make it the same width as the Yota axle on the TF2?
How much per side?

What's the best method (or tool) to use when trimming the axles, to make sure they're cut straight?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2-shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2017, 07:52 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Questions about narrowing axles.

6 mm per side (12 mm total) is the most the housing are designed to be narrowed. Narrowing them by the maximum amount gets them down to 180 mm which is the same as RC4WD Yota II axles (the Yotas on the TF2 are 178 mm so close enough).

To make sure I cut them straight, I use the rear lockout as a guide to keep the cut square after I marked off 6 mm (slip it on the housing up to the 6 mm mark then cut at the end of the lockout). I used either a razor saw or hack saw to do the cutting. Drilling the new screw holes for the rear housing is easy since it doesn't matter if the holes line up perfectly from left to right, the front is a little more tricky. There is a mold seam on the axle housing and c hub that line up perfectly at 0 caster. I use that as an index mark to make sure both sides were even before drilling the c hub mounting holes.

svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:24 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Man this like switching to geico.

I was about to buy RC4WD k44 axles until i saw this. Although the k44 may look nice, its more about budget for now.
There is only one question i have about this... after narrowing, can you still run cody boy mod? That would be the ultimate set up, imo.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:22 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
6 mm per side (12 mm total) is the most the housing are designed to be narrowed. Narrowing them by the maximum amount gets them down to 180 mm which is the same as RC4WD Yota II axles (the Yotas on the TF2 are 178 mm so close enough).

To make sure I cut them straight, I use the rear lockout as a guide to keep the cut square after I marked off 6 mm (slip it on the housing up to the 6 mm mark then cut at the end of the lockout). I used either a razor saw or hack saw to do the cutting. Drilling the new screw holes for the rear housing is easy since it doesn't matter if the holes line up perfectly from left to right, the front is a little more tricky. There is a mold seam on the axle housing and c hub that line up perfectly at 0 caster. I use that as an index mark to make sure both sides were even before drilling the c hub mounting holes.

Thank you very much! That answers all of my questions!

Old 08-07-2017, 06:59 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
Man this like switching to geico.

I was about to buy RC4WD k44 axles until i saw this. Although the k44 may look nice, its more about budget for now.
There is only one question i have about this... after narrowing, can you still run cody boy mod? That would be the ultimate set up, imo.
If you already have Codyboy axles, it should work the same way. The cutting and drilling would be into brass instead of plastic so it wouldn't be as easy.

If you haven't bought the axles yet, you can ask to have Ernie narrow them when you order. I'm sure a man of his skills can handle it.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:09 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

8mm is the max you can narrow with codybody axles I have them on my c1. The chub is up against the link mount on the front axle.

To narrow just the stock plastic housing I use a pipe cutter. Keeps it straight without guessing.

durfeec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:11 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durfeec View Post
8mm is the max you can narrow with codybody axles I have them on my c1. The chub is up against the link mount on the front axle.

To narrow just the stock plastic housing I use a pipe cutter. Keeps it straight without guessing.

The pipe cutter is an awesome idea!! I have a decent pipe/tubing cutter, didn't even think about using that!! LOL!!

Old 08-07-2017, 08:16 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durfeec View Post

This is what you used to cut the axle housings?

Old 08-08-2017, 04:07 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-shot View Post
This is what you used to cut the axle housings?

Yes. Mine is smaller. Just a cheap one from harbor freight.

durfeec is offline   Reply With Quote

Questions about narrowing axles. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Narrowing the axles? mmbackpacker Axial SCX-10 7 07-12-2009 06:56 PM
Wheel questions..Locking rings, narrowing ect.... RYY Tires and Wheels 2 10-16-2006 11:15 PM
A few questions about narrowing joshm101 Tires and Wheels 4 06-16-2006 09:41 PM
Narrowing 40 Seires Beadlocks Questions Samurai Newbie General 3 04-30-2006 08:19 PM
Narrowing dually's.. A couple of questions.. Heavy Tires and Wheels 2 11-02-2004 03:22 PM