Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Tribute to my Dad's 79 F100 featuring Banzai

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2018, 11:48 AM   #201
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tribute to my Dad's 79 F100 featuring Banzai

Very cool guys, and having driven many Fords with TTB and owned one, gotta say they are bad ass wheelers, just gotta keep the bushings good. Used to love standing out on the flightline and sometimes at end of runway while Blackbird and all kinds of cool birds flew right over our heads, what a rush!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2018, 06:07 PM   #202
Quarry Creeper

Chris, WHY would anyone be offended if you used a C-MAX Chassis!!?? It's a great platform, and extremely versatile! I'm considering one, if that TRAXX-ASS Bronco Body doesn't cost my first born!! Of course, I'd LOVE that Baja 1000 Desert Racing Truck..... but NOT for 800 DOLLARS!!!!!!

I meant what I said. You really seem like an awesome guy. That Tribute Truck is shaping up to be a really sweet Rig! I'm going to love watching it "grow".

I'm hoping that SOMEONE would be able to print a '76 Grille. Although I'm hoping that a nice Chrome plated one will pop up. It can happen!

Chris @ GCM has been bugging me to do a C-MAX Build. I asked him if he wanted to PAY for it, eh. He said no way, eh! Fortunately, they're not terribly expensive, so maybe I can get one, one of these days.
You know, there WILL eventually be an end to our Nightmare..... But it involves a sizeable Inheritance, and I'm not counting, waiting, or ANYTHING that might JINX it!

But when THAT finally happens, one of the things we're doing is: a 2 Month, around the Country Drive, seeing sights, eating foods, and visiting as many friends around the Country as we can! Two long stops being New York, to see friends that I grew up with, and San Diego, to see friends that Cindi grew up with!!
I only hope that we're not too old when it happens.....

And........ Is a Rig ever REALLY done?
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:12 PM   #203
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
.....Used to love standing out on the flightline and sometimes at end of runway while Blackbird and all kinds of cool birds flew right over our heads, what a rush!
It was an INCREDIBLE Aircraft, and the most beautiful Plane to ever fly!!

I had to keep this Secret since 1999, but I am now officially the youngest person to ever sit in the Cockpit of the HABU!!
Old 02-01-2018, 10:56 PM   #204
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorManRC View Post
But....... GAWD - I REALLY want that Body. It's a perfect Scale Replica of my first off-road beater, an 80 Bronco!!!! "thumbup" It was also the vehicle that I taught myself to drive Stick in (at the cost of a synchro or two!!)
I KNOW that I can't afford it. I know they'll charge a LOT for it. Somehow....... you WILL be mine..... Oh yes, you WILL be mine!!!!
They are two completely different body styles. 79-80. Just don't want you to be bummed with the 79, thinking it was the same as the 80.

Zippy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:10 AM   #205
Quarry Creeper

Oh, I know, but thanks for pointing out the one obvious feature - the Grille. The sheet metal is nearly the same..... and of course the badging was updated.
However, the Scale dimensions are spot on - which is AMAZING, considering that it's from Traxxas!
If I could somehow get a Grille Printed.... It would be a great start!! I'm excited because it may be one of the best Lexan Bodies I've ever seen.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:00 AM   #206
I wanna be Dave

Carmine, you know proline already made an 80 bronco, right?

ehhh my interwebz at work are acting wonky. just go to prolineracing.com and look up the crawler bodies. its in there.

and there is an aircraft museum at March AFB here in socal, i got up close and personal with the HABU. they even had one of the prototype drones!
when you come to san diego on your trip, look me up!
its funny, i plan on doing the same thing when i retire from the navy in 2 years. road trip! or at bare minimum, I'm going to Disneyworld lol never been there!

Last edited by Shinchu; 02-02-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:03 AM   #207
RCC Addict

It says '81...and 'discontinued'.
https://www.prolineracing.com/bodies...-body-crawler/

Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:43 AM   #208
I wanna be Dave

thanks for posting the pic.
discontinued... but if you look on ebay long enough...
Old 02-02-2018, 01:41 PM   #209
Quarry Creeper

....... The Pro-Line Bronco has a few flaws. #1 being a DECAL for the entire front Grille and lights - on a completely FLAT surface. Disappointing, because their Bodies can be much better, like the 80's Yota SR5 and the Dodge Power Wagon.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:56 PM   #210
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
and there is an aircraft museum at March AFB here in socal, i got up close and personal with the HABU. they even had one of the prototype drones!
when you come to san diego on your trip, look me up!
its funny, i plan on doing the same thing when i retire from the navy in 2 years. road trip! or at bare minimum, I'm going to Disneyworld lol never been there!
You bet your ass I'll look you up!! We can take you and the Wife out to Dinner. I'm hoping to be able to fit a Rig or two in the Car with us - I know we'll run into several really sweet spots on our journey!
I believe there's still a Blackbird at Balboa Park, along with the Country's largest Model Railroad Layout. It's a definite stop on our tour!

My Dad's actual Plane is at Wright-Patterson AFB in Ohio, another non-negotiable stop.
I'm trying so hard not to get excited about it. It's not happening any time soon - OR can happen tomorrow.....

Last edited by PoorManRC; 02-02-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:05 PM   #211
I wanna be Dave

Bronco grill has some texture... looks like the way to go is spaz stix chrome, then cut out the lights and details and lay them over the outside.
There is a decal set from a drift car body maker... abc or pandora? Anyway they make an etched glass headlight decal set, perfect for old cars with sealed beam if you want to put light buckets behind them.
So, the bronco in question is great, if you have some tricks up your sleeve ;)
You can see the grill detail a bit better at this angle...

Ummmm what trickery is this?!! Proline says the body width is only 6.5 inch, yet its nearly swallowing the tires while its on an ascender?! Hmmmmm...

Oh, if you seek railroad displays... make sure you stop in old town, there is a huge one accross from the sheriff museum! I need to check out the one at balboa park, i keep hearing about.
Thanks for the offer of dinner! Might have to find a good crawl spot too ;)

Last edited by Shinchu; 02-02-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:42 PM   #212
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy1 View Post
They are two completely different body styles. 79-80. Just don't want you to be bummed with the 79, thinking it was the same as the 80.

Classic. The Early 80’s rig needs a bumper lift
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:35 PM   #213
Quarry Creeper

IT SURE DOES!!
Old 02-02-2018, 11:03 PM   #214
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
Bronco grill has some texture... looks like the way to go is spaz stix chrome, then cut out the lights and details and lay them over the outside.
There is a decal set from a drift car body maker... abc or pandora? Anyway they make an etched glass headlight decal set, perfect for old cars with sealed beam if you want to put light buckets behind them.
So, the bronco in question is great, if you have some tricks up your sleeve ;)
You can see the grill detail a bit better at this angle...

Ummmm what trickery is this?!! Proline says the body width is only 6.5 inch, yet its nearly swallowing the tires while its on an ascender?! Hmmmmm...

Oh, if you seek railroad displays... make sure you stop in old town, there is a huge one accross from the sheriff museum! I need to check out the one at balboa park, i keep hearing about.
Thanks for the offer of dinner! Might have to find a good crawl spot too ;)
That first paragraph sounds like a challenge!!

That DEFINITELY is some trickery going on! The Ascender is almost 1/8th Scale!!! 6.5"..... Hmmmm - maybe the number fell upside down, and it's actually 9.5"!!
Ummmm..... Would it be cheating to use THAT Body, to cover up some BIG Tires - for Class 1???

.... Actually, Pro-Line makes TWO different versions of the Bronco Body. That looks like the SC version, made for the Slash.
Even if.... I don't have a 313mm Rig.....yet. So unless I happen to get really lucky, someone Else is really generous, or I FINALLY get my Inheritance, the SCX10 II Kit I want, is going to have to stay on the Hobby Shop shelf.

And DEFINITELY on the Crawl Spot!! I'm hoping to run across a few excellent spots during our long Road Trip.
I'm SURE that Cindi wants to show me old Town... I'll have to check out the other Layout.

GOTTA see if we can hook up with Mike too, who is also in the area!! I'm thinking he should have his Tribute Truck nearly done...
~ As we ALL know, our Rigs are NEVER done, even if they look like it!!!
Old 02-05-2018, 10:03 AM   #215
I wanna be Dave

who is mike, where in SD, and what tribute truck!?

but no, that's not the SC version of the bronco. that one is very obviously flared at the fenders and has a race livery. this is the "crawler body" version. those numbers are odd, though. there is no way that is a 6.5 wide body. my F series body is 7 inches wide on narrowed ascender axles, and the 1.55 tires stick out further than those 1.9's.

i made a boo-boo on my truck yesterday :(
i put some 3M dual lock under the hood, opposite side on the servo to hold the front down.
wasn't quite biting so i moved it. bad idea. it pulled a "scale bird poop" sized amount of paint off! i cringed and tried "putting it back" quickly for some reason like that would help. damage is done. its not horrible, but its right in the middle of the hood.
i even had bedliner in there so that wouldn't happen!

lesson learned: dual lock is STRONG STUFF. and semi-permanent.

i felt so bad i had to do something positive, so i trimmed out the jconcepts rear bumper and attached it with double sided tape. (yes, on the outside lol)
i will probably stiffen up the bumper with some great stuff foam. carefully lol but yeah the bumper is super thin lexan. might try toe see if i can make a metal one and put RC4WD scale diamond plate on top.
still no progress on the headlights or grill insert. need to get some styrene (and i live like 2 miles from a michaels, no excuse)

gotta get that rear leaf kit ordered... went to monster jam and a super bowl party... it was a busy weekend!
Old 02-05-2018, 12:10 PM   #216
I wanna be Dave

That Proline crawler Bronco body is really narrow, many pictures on their site are off and straight up odd! The perspective is messed up on many of their pics and somehow the wheels/tires that are farther from the veiwpoint appear larger than those in the forefront of the photo, wth? LOL

Sticker time or little touch up paint time to look like a rust spot? Or touch up same color with a brush might not be very noticeable.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:52 PM   #217
I wanna be Dave

yeah it was a custom blended color... i didn't think to ask for a bottle of touch up from the painter!
Old 02-06-2018, 05:25 AM   #218
Quarry Creeper

Mike is mewalsh100, and I think after that, I mixed you and him up!!!! YOU are from SD, but he's from Ohio....
I claim Old Fart Disease for the mix-up!!

I'm slightly jealous that you got to see a Monster Jam.... but glad that neither of us missed what could be the most intense and exciting Superbowl EVER!! Even though neither of our Teams were in it (Cindi is Chargers all the way - and I'm a sad Bills fan!!). It was good to see the upstart Eagles get their first, AND knock down Brady at the same time!!!

So I posted my cut Body in the Paint and Body Section.... and a few guys were very nice, and said basically that I'm done, and just slap Paint on it!
Thing is, it doesn't feel done. Maybe you and Natedog can take a look.... Maybe I'm over thinking it - I do that!!

Really sorry about your Paint! I definitely feel your pain. This won't help you now, but since I've been fine sanding the inside of my Bodies (to adhere Spaz Stix Paint better), I've had no problem with flaking, cracking, or Paint lifting off. And I use Rare-Earth Magnets, SO strong, that I have to forcefully PULL the Body off. They're attached with 2-part Epoxy, spread over 2 square inches each. I do believe that the sanded inside gives that extra bite, that holds it all together.

Of course, SOMEBODY had to tell me that I just ruined my Body - NINE Bodies ago!!! He didn't get that the outside of Lexan acts like a great Clearcoat, and anything you do to the inside, almost doesn't matter.

You just gave me a great idea!! I never thought of using Great Stuff Foam to reinforce Lexan. Awesome idea!!! Not for my Wraith, because it's basically just panels, but for my Wife's Raptor - excellent plan!!!
Leaf Springs?? You're getting serious Now!!
Old 02-06-2018, 01:35 PM   #219
I wanna be Dave

the (no longer san diego) chargers are sore subject for me.
and monster jam world finals are in vegas, about the same distance for the both of us. I've always wanted to go to the finals!

yeah its kinda funny to me when people don't understand you paint the INSIDE of lexan bodies haha

expanding foam is great if you don't over-do it. trim it down where it bubbles out, and you might even be able to paint it? haven't touched my truck since getting back home sunday night. might give it some work and try it out on the rocks i relocated from my father in law's backyard to my backyard haha just like 10 about the size of an open phone book. i cant carry much bigger!

i planned on using magnets, but the body is so shallow, its hard to get the bottom of the body to sit at the frame rails. magnets would be too thick and push the body up even higher. the shock mounts are too high, especially out back. that's why i plan on leafs. well, scale accuracy never hurts either.
the front, hopefully will be ok as the forward GCM mount is right at the base of the windshield, motor protrudes rearward through the dash (if it had one).

so that's why i decided I'm going forward with phase 2 of the build, when i can afford to. 3D printed body, rear leafs, front radius arms, full interior including bed carpet kit in the topper shell. oh and most likely move it to 1.9 dirt grabbers, so i can use those awesome traxxas wheels from the upcoming bronco. maybe?

oh and i still need to finish phase 1 with lights and winch controller. and rear leafs.

Last edited by Shinchu; 02-06-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:58 PM   #220
Quarry Creeper

Yeah Buddy.... Those TRAXX-ASS 1.55s are almost enough to get me to like them - a little!! I still don't like what Traxxas does to the Market.
Phase II sounds exciting! Can't wait.. That Rig is going to look SO Sweet!!

OH!! And don't get my Cindi started on the LA(sic.) Chargers.... I believe she said something like "I'm going to start a Bonfire, with Spano's ASS sticking up on top!!"
Safe to say, she's not a happy camper either. She's got Bolts tattooed on both arms. She tells me that if we ever win Mega-Millions - she's BUYING the team back from that Asshat, and move them BACK to SD!!!
..... But she's not that upset.

That's so awesome that you have a Crawling Course in your backyard! When we can have a House again, that's in my plans....

Tribute to my Dad's 79 F100 featuring Banzai - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tribute to my Dad: 79 F100 Lariat - help me start Shinchu Paint and Body 8 08-11-2017 11:58 AM
Banzai II: TTC FJ Crawln Coles 2.2 Scale Rigs 35 06-08-2011 05:39 PM
Banzai or WarriorII addictedtonitro Electronics 20 02-09-2009 06:09 PM