Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Tribute to my Dad's 79 F100 featuring Banzai

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2017, 10:00 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tribute to my Dad's 79 F100 featuring Banzai

alright fellas, need to pick some brains again.

with all the features of this rig (2 speed, winch) it looks to me like i will need a 4 channel radio setup? or is there another trick to running those two features with a 3 channel? 4 channel is kinda slim pickings for radio but i think i found a flysky that will work.

oh and for the battery layout, i think i have a solution too. if i have this right, the ascenders tend to torque twist to the passenger side, lifting the driver side. correct? if that is the case, i will get maybe 4800mah 3s for the driver side on the sliders, and the electronics will all go on the passenger side, possibly with a smaller dedicated 1000mah 2s for winch and lights.
that should give a nice left/right balance with a tad more on the left to help TT. front/rear balance should be pretty neutral, but i can slide everything forward to help that also.

sound good? or is the yeti guy making crazy talk again? thanks!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2017, 10:05 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

FlySky are great radios especially for the price, spare rx are cheap too. I still run mine. TT lifts right front on forward throttle, drops it on braking.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:31 AM   #43
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
alright fellas, need to pick some brains again.

with all the features of this rig (2 speed, winch) it looks to me like i will need a 4 channel radio setup? or is there another trick to running those two features with a 3 channel? 4 channel is kinda slim pickings for radio but i think i found a flysky that will work.

oh and for the battery layout, i think i have a solution too. if i have this right, the ascenders tend to torque twist to the passenger side, lifting the driver side. correct? if that is the case, i will get maybe 4800mah 3s for the driver side on the sliders, and the electronics will all go on the passenger side, possibly with a smaller dedicated 1000mah 2s for winch and lights.
that should give a nice left/right balance with a tad more on the left to help TT. front/rear balance should be pretty neutral, but i can slide everything forward to help that also.

sound good? or is the yeti guy making crazy talk again? thanks!
You'll need 4 channels to run both the winch and 2 speed with one controller. Some guys do use a separate hand held wireless remote for the winch so then you'd only need a 3 channel radio for the truck. I personally like one controller for everything so that's why I got the spektrum dx4c radio to run my winch and 2 speed on my 1.9 ascender and 1.55 ascender.

Into the torque twist issue. Don't over think it. Just put a sway bar on the rear axle and be done with it. Then you can balance your set up and have a truck that sits level forward, reverse, sideways whatever. I've been running the sway bar on my truck and never looked back. Don't let the cool aid drinking axial lovers bash you for the sway bar "band aid" or whatever other stupid term they have for it. It's a mod, it works, and it makes our big blazers go where their modded honchos go so I just smile while they're complaining.

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:17 PM   #44
RCC Addict

I've been happy with my $38 4ch Radiolink RC3S, more so than the Flysky GT3B (which is only 3ch as delivered.) They make a couple other 4ch models (RC4G, RC4S), but I didn't see enough (any?) differences in them to justify any extra cost. I think it's the best option under $100, even up against a hacked Flysky... unless you need more than 4 channels.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:23 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

nice. there is already a tube across the rear of the frame for a swaybar. some thoughtful gentleman brazed it there before i became the new owner. ;)
i hear the hot deal is HR swaybar and custom links bolted tooooo...? forgot where i read about that. Natedog maybe that was you that mentioned rear sway setup not long ago?

rear sway would be scale accurate. (unlike most of the rest of this build lol) my dad said he upgraded the swaybar on his truck because "the rear tries to trade places with the front sometimes" is what he told me.
i remember when he installed it, too.
he pulled the truck up on our front lawn (more shade there) and when he was done he backed over my Chinese Schwinn replica bike. bent the frame like a banana. i rode it like that for another year until i got one of them new-fangled BMX bikes.

i got stories about this truck for days... :*)

thanks for the info on radios. under $100 is right in my budget ;)

***ALSO
HOLY WOW LOOK AT THIS! very cool info i just discovered!
i have recently had a hunch his truck was not a 100 but F-150. i think this proves it was an F-150 ranger lariat in combination 2 tone "walnut glow" and "light sand".
this link was posted on fordf150.net
http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/b...ure/index.html
this is awesome to look through.
and now i remember seeing somebody made metal 1:10 scale F-150 RANGER badges for the fenders.

how the heck do i change the title of this thread since now i know its not an F-100????

***** another cool '79 F-150 i found while rummaging around on the internet...
https://social.ford.com/en_US/story/...50-custom.html

Last edited by Shinchu; 09-18-2017 at 03:18 PM. Reason: FOUND A 79 CATALOG!!!!!
Old 09-18-2017, 12:38 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

I prefer Axial Wraith rear swaybar because the arms are "D" shaped at ends for swaybar like they should be. HR swaybar arms are round holes, don't fit as snug and less threads fro the setscrews to anchor in that hold the arms to the swaybar. I made my own swaybar out of piano wire because I wanted somehting a little softer than the softest bar in the kits.

Edit: Yeti.Stealth style rear swaybar with mount holes drilled through frame and bar in front of rear axle is how I prefer to run them. My Blazer still has rear mounted, K10 is forward mounted. Check Yeti.Stealth's and my thread for setup.
Yeti.Stealths Ascenders

Original rear swaybar setup idea from Metalry101 Blaze of Glory Ascender:
Blaze of Glory

Last edited by Natedog; 09-18-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:11 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Anyone know what size the wheels are on thunder tiger hilux? Not 5 lug but otherwise 99% accurate!

Also, went through my old stash of rc drift goodies (started a thread in non crawlers) and found a brand new never used tamiya 540 gt tuned motor! Looked up specs and its a 25 turn.
Could this be acceptable for this truck?

Last edited by Shinchu; 09-23-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:23 AM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Well i mounted the motor just to have a motor on it lol
Now it needs a pinion gear. Not sure what to run. I would have to pull the slipper apart and see what spur is on there.
Or just do it live and get a variety pack of pinions.

Still need to get a radio set, and a trxxas micro servo for the two speed. But im getting closer!

Im a little distracted by the rc drift bug catching my son and i again, but i told him no funding goes into the drift cars until this truck is running.
That said, he has his own cash if he wants to upgrade his drift car. I have an old associated tc3 for him, and i am going to convert my old pride and joy tamiya tt01 to a rwd gyro assisted drifter.

So, rest easy friends. I am not letting this fall to the wayside. Just waiting on funding. Im a very patient fellow.

Sorry for the lackluster update lol
In about a month i should start to make some serious progress.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:44 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
You'll need 4 channels to run both the winch and 2 speed with one controller. Some guys do use a separate hand held wireless remote for the winch so then you'd only need a 3 channel radio for the truck. I personally like one controller for everything so that's why I got the spektrum dx4c radio to run my winch and 2 speed on my 1.9 ascender and 1.55 ascender.

Into the torque twist issue. Don't over think it. Just put a sway bar on the rear axle and be done with it. Then you can balance your set up and have a truck that sits level forward, reverse, sideways whatever. I've been running the sway bar on my truck and never looked back. Don't let the cool aid drinking axial lovers bash you for the sway bar "band aid" or whatever other stupid term they have for it. It's a mod, it works, and it makes our big blazers go where their modded honchos go so I just smile while they're complaining.

Ben
Ok i got a quick $50 for an airsoft i sold. Just enough for a radiolink 4ch setup on amazon.
Might pull the trigger on it later tonight.

Then all i need is a microservo and a pinion gear and it sill be a naked runner (streaker?? )
I have a traxxas microservo on my amazon wishlist for $20 but im sure there are cheaper out there, but maybe not waterproof like the traxxas.

Then i have a question for you, ben.
You said you have 2 speed on a 1.55 ascender?
What motor and spur/pinion are you running?

I have a 25t bolted up right now, and not sure how to gear it.
Will be on a holmes hobby esc and 3s power.
I dont need it to break the sound barrier, just want good low end torque and decent fast walking speed to head down the trail.

I suppose i could just buy a few different pinions and experiment, but maybe you would have some input from yoir setup.

Thanks!

Ok you literally answered this question perfectly in the motor and battery thread lol
Thanks! I think i will try the 14 pinion?

Last edited by Shinchu; 10-07-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:56 PM   #50
RCC Addict

I have a Holmes hobby crawlmaster 16turn. But his motors are like half of what they run like. So a Holmes 16turn is about equal to a 30-35 turn. I have that truck on 3s with stock 88t spur and 12t pinion.

If you use a 25 turn motor on 3s that thing will be quite fast even with a 12-14 tooth pinion and may have temp problems while crawling.

Hope this helps. Ask away if you need more help or have questions.

Ben
Old 10-07-2017, 10:14 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Ben! So between the two, what would keep temps lower, 12 or 14? Im guessing 14 but i have always sucked at gear ratio math.
I will get a 35t or maybe 40t motor later. Its just that i happened to find this mint never used tamiya sport 16t in a tub of my old drift parts. Good enough to get it moving.

Wont be long fellas, and i should be done with chassis stuff and starting body stuff!

I need to post a pic of the motor and both servos mounted up front! She is looking beefy already!
Old 10-08-2017, 06:16 AM   #52
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks Ben! So between the two, what would keep temps lower, 12 or 14? Im guessing 14 but i have always sucked at gear ratio math.
I will get a 35t or maybe 40t motor later. Its just that i happened to find this mint never used tamiya sport 16t in a tub of my old drift parts. Good enough to get it moving.

Wont be long fellas, and i should be done with chassis stuff and starting body stuff!

I need to post a pic of the motor and both servos mounted up front! She is looking beefy already!
The 12tooth pinion will keep things cooler. It will also slow the truck down a bit also. The smaller the pinion, the higher the gear ratio, the less work the motor has to do to get the truck moving. I don't think you'll go into instant nuclear meltdown temps but just keep an eye on things. And get your jogging shoes on to keep up with it lol.

Ben
Old 10-08-2017, 09:32 AM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Hey Chris, life is starting to normalize for me a little, we had moms service yesterday, so thought it was time for me to get back to my ascender buddies.
I had a mini servo on that truck for a shift servo, the only reason I removed it is I had robbed it from on of my traxxas minis. I just think a micro would be small for that set up. IMO When you're ready I'm ready to do some painting for you. You would be doing me a favor, it is therapy for me!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:38 AM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Glad to hear it, young man!
I saw a great pic of the traxxas shift servo in your build thread, had the model number on it and everything. I have it on my amazon wishlist at $20 so im just going with the tried and true method
And i can send you the body if you are ready, i still have the box it came in from jconcepts.

I took a photo of how she currently sits, and instanly remimded myself i still need wheels and tires
Those are ecx barrage i swapped with my son. His truck benefits incredibly from the 1.55 gearheads wrapped in pitbull growlers. Fair trade as i still am looking for the right accurate wheels anyway. So these ecx wheels are just a placehold that will be donated to somebody in need later. Or... possibly end up on my yeti as part of wild idea i had for a vintage prerunner build??? Time will tell...

So here is how she sits... getting nice and hefty!

And, where is the latteral link???
Why, its lined up perfectly with the steering link!!!
Great job on geometry, Ernie!

I will get to the hobby shop soon to see what they have in the way of 12 tooth pinions, thanks for the help on that, Ben! Good to know she will rip if i want her too.
My dad used to always say "all cars have traction control, its called your right foot"

Thats it for now fellas. Radio will be ordered via amazon prime tonight!
Almost time to start wiring up and doing some cable management!

Last edited by Shinchu; 10-08-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:48 AM   #55
RCC Addict

I didn't realize you had a scale transmission and transfer case in there. I was basing my gear recommendation on the stock transmission ratios. Blouses I should have paid more attention. Have to find out what your transmission and transfer case ratios are before picking out a final motor and pinion selection. Sorry for the confusion.

Ben
Old 10-08-2017, 12:23 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Oh its not a scale trans, its a vaterra 2 speed just like yours, located up front with gcm relocation kit. T case is a rc4wd 1:1 split if im not mistaken. Should do fine with the 12 tooth you recommended.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:03 PM   #57
RCC Addict

Quote:
Oh its not a scale trans, its a vaterra 2 speed just like yours, located up front with gcm relocation kit. T case is a rc4wd 1:1 split if im not mistaken. Should do fine with the 12 tooth you recommended.
I guess I need to start using my computer and not my phone to identify things lol. Disregard the last post and get a 12t pinion lol
Old 10-08-2017, 05:00 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Roger! Thanks for the help!
Old 10-09-2017, 12:16 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Hey Chris, thanks for all the good thoughts, all of you friends are helping Marcia and I cope!
Go ahead and send the body, I can start working on it in between some of my other projects. But............only send it if you agree that I'm charging for supplies and shipping only! Same deal I make for all my friends!!!
I can't remember if you have my addy, so I will PM that to you.
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 10-11-2017 at 10:08 AM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:59 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

I had it boxed up and walked out the door before you posted this. But i walked back inside when i realized... post office is closed on columbus day!
Hahaha

It will be headed your way tomorrow ;)

Tribute to my Dad's 79 F100 featuring Banzai - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tribute to my Dad: 79 F100 Lariat - help me start Shinchu Paint and Body 8 08-11-2017 11:58 AM
Banzai II: TTC FJ Crawln Coles 2.2 Scale Rigs 35 06-08-2011 05:39 PM
Banzai or WarriorII addictedtonitro Electronics 20 02-09-2009 06:09 PM