Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Tribute to my Dad's 79 F100 featuring Banzai

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2017, 08:50 AM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tribute to my Dad's 79 F100 featuring Banzai

I thought of this thread when I saw the new 79 F150 Proline body for the Ascender.

Pro-Line 1979 Ford F-150 Clear Body Ascender - Truggy

If it had a bed, it would be perfect for this build.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2017, 11:30 AM   #102
I wanna be Dave

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i saw jato mentioned it in another thread and i went as quickly as my fingers could type to the proline website (i seriously had the keyboard smoking) and about fainted!
this is PERFECT!!!!!!!! i will scratch build or even try to widen the Jconcepts bed, or just count on PL to release a separate bed like they did for the SR-5 cab.

and its 8 inches wide so the tires will tuck inside the fenders PERFECTLY!

ah, the only problem i have is the fender arch goes up over the trim... ehhhh i can deal with it i suppose. the fact its got a stock bumper and the grill is VERY nicely molded makes up for it.
lol the plate is from 87, woul dhave preferred a blue plate with yellow letters but that's way too picky and i will get customs made anyway (4 POP).

and for cripes sake, ITS A 79 FORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*dernit! out of stock at RPP also! - oh, preorder for late November arrival. heheheeeeemuahahahaaaaaawoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Shinchu; 10-25-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:58 PM   #103
Slow is the new Fast

Shinchu, I held the Traxxas 79 F150 grill at my LHS yesterday. Not sure if it is the right size for you, but it is a nice piece.
smog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:08 PM   #104
I wanna be Dave

been down that road lol its only 6.5 inch wide. my jconcepts is 7 inches wide and the new PL body here is 8 inches wide.

could i cut it and stretch it? maybe, but it might not look tall enough then. thanks though!

*just thought maybe i could cut the bed off a blackfoot for a stepside version until PL gives us the second half of this awesome truck?
**or not. just looked and the fenders are way different from 79 to 80, as they should be.

Last edited by Shinchu; 10-25-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:16 PM   #105
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
been down that road lol its only 6.5 inch wide. my jconcepts is 7 inches wide and the new PL body here is 8 inches wide.

could i cut it and stretch it? maybe, but it might not look tall enough then. thanks though!

*just thought maybe i could cut the bed off a blackfoot for a stepside version until PL gives us the second half of this awesome truck?
isn't the Blackfoot an 80's F150? I ordered the parts tree with that grill. I am planning to do just as you mentioned. Cut it and widen it. Based on the specs, I am hoping the height of it works. I believe It is proportioned differently than the molded lexan grill on the JConcepts body...aaaaand my fingers are crossed
Old 10-25-2017, 03:24 PM   #106
I wanna be Dave

should work for your 80's truck. should be easy to make a replacement tube/billet grill for that. i have styrene that looks like it already, i used it for intercoolers on my drift cars.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:06 PM   #107
RCC Addict

Rich from Vaterra is doing a k10 build video log and has teamed up with proline for it. He said in the first episode that he was going to use a new proline body for the build. He could not show it until it is released. Build vids are on Vaterra rc FB.
Yeti.stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:36 PM   #108
I wanna be Dave

oh wow... that's awesome. haha did he mention that in his "I'm back" thread?? gonna wonder over there and have a look-see...
Old 10-25-2017, 06:08 PM   #109
Rock Crawler

Quote:
oh wow... that's awesome. haha did he mention that in his "I'm back" thread?? gonna wonder over there and have a look-see...
He didn't. Good videos though. Short but to the point. The new body is sweet. I might have to be a "bowtie in the streets, blue oval in the creeks" guy with my next build.

My name is Ryan, and I'm an Ascenderholic...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ascender'nMN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:21 PM   #110
I wanna be Dave

hey guys...

GUYYYS?!??!

might have an idea for my next build...
Old 11-02-2017, 06:28 PM   #111
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Tribute to my Dad's 79 F-150 RANGER LARIAT

Awww snap!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ascender'nMN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:28 PM   #112
I wanna be Dave

Sooooo... then this happened at sema on friday...

Old 11-04-2017, 10:33 PM   #113
Slow is the new Fast

it Did indeed! Like a sunset in 1979.

Hopefully they break the kit down and also sell the parts.

Edit: Traxxas stepped up to the plate and knocked it out of the park. Makes the grill on the proline look deficient

Last edited by smog; 11-04-2017 at 10:36 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:08 AM   #114
I wanna be Dave

I am not a betting man, but i would wager heavily that grill is the same one from bigfoot 1, with a stock insert and bumper.

Therefor... not wide enough. I hope im wrong.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:24 PM   #115
I joined the Band!

Default Re: Tribute to my Dad's 79 F-150 RANGER LARIAT

I’m sure rcnerds or Knight customs will release a proper front grille and lights for this kit. I’m not a Ford person and the Traxxas stuff doesn’t do much for me, but it looks nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigchimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:48 AM   #116
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I am not a betting man, but i would wager heavily that grill is the same one from bigfoot 1, with a stock insert and bumper.

Therefor... not wide enough. I hope im wrong.
The body looks to be at least as wide as the TRX4 axles which are around 7.5 inches hex to hex. A D110 TRX4 has a track width of about 9.75 inches and that Bronco must be even wider with those 2.2s. The Bronco grill has to be much bigger than the Bigfoot one, I'll guess it is somewhere between 7-7.5 inches wide.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:24 AM   #117
I wanna be Dave

hey fellas

just checking in, not much to report other than moving SUCKS. its worth it though. after i unpack what seems like a thousand boxes, and organize everything... i should have a pretty sweet workbench in the garage so i can finish this and move on to the next rig.
so hang in there, I'm alive and well. just gotta get settled. just barely got the TV hooked up last night after dinner (just in time for the walking dead, wife would have a meltdown if we couldn't watch!)
still need to have an AV installer come in and properly mount the beast to the wall and hide cables and speaker wires inside walls. I'm too scared to mount the thing myself... its a 70" and weighs about 100 lbs... scary!!!
Old 11-30-2017, 01:16 PM   #118
I wanna be Dave

quick update:
AV installation is done. hired a navy veteran, quoted me six bills to mount the TV, run all the speaker wires, mount all the speakers on the walls (heavy bookshelf polks), and put nice backplates on everything. done in 4 hours and looks awesome. i paid him seven bills.

and my 4 channel radio gear showed up! just need a shift servo and i can drive it! still needs wheels/tires and body details though. and my garage is looking more like a warehouse right now. need to finish unpacking before i do any tiny truck tinkering.
plus holidays.

should see some MAJOR progress in January!

*just re-read most of this thread to sort of step back and reflect. not giving up, don't worry. just trying to see what are my best options here.
the Jconcepts 79 ford body is painted and would fit GREAT on an RGT Bowler (available rear leafs!!!) just not sure about track width.
the proline 79 ford cab is nice, but that high fender arch.... ehhhhh... if they came out with a bed i would pull the trigger instantly. but as of now i would have to fab a whole bed from styrene. at that point, why not a cab, too? i have zero experience so the process would be both nerve racking and frustrating. and expensive after attempt #32.
third option is the craziest... "cab cut" the traxxas bronco. repeat above steps for bed, AND rear cab wall. that truck has the most accurate, amazing grill of the trio.
lots of time (about a month?) to weigh these options. i think right now being too busy unpacking is a good thing. forcing me to be patient.

also, RC3WD just (re?)released 1.55 stamped wagon wheels with 5 lug. sure they aren't the 12 hole "quick trick" wheels i need but might be a decent place holder. and at $44 per set?! pfff whynot. just need some xmas loot.

Last edited by Shinchu; 12-06-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:41 PM   #119
RCC Addict

Nice thread. The tie-in to good memories makes it that much more fun. My dad didn't really do trucks, but my grandpa sure did.

So, Ernie - what kind of paint on the lexan? I need to match my 1:1, and I likely have some automotive acrylic enamel to shoot with an airbrush. I've heard it would work but haven't tried it. Was going to look at my old paint cans and get a sheet of lexan from depot and shoot some to test. Nothing much close from Tamiya either...

Body looks great!
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:38 PM   #120
I wanna be Dave

Hey Chris, just tried to send you a pm, but your inbox is full.
Thanks for the surprise, I wasn't concerned. Have you guys finally settled into the new house? Do you have a shop put together yet?
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tribute to my Dad's 79 F100 featuring Banzai - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tribute to my Dad: 79 F100 Lariat - help me start Shinchu Paint and Body 8 08-11-2017 11:58 AM
Banzai II: TTC FJ Crawln Coles 2.2 Scale Rigs 35 06-08-2011 05:39 PM
Banzai or WarriorII addictedtonitro Electronics 20 02-09-2009 06:09 PM