Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Tribute to my Dad's 79 F100 featuring Banzai

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2018, 08:00 PM   #141
RCC Addict

Default Re: Tribute to my Dad's 79 F100 featuring Banzai

Scratch-building is always a wow. Dream that shit up and then make it happen.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2018, 08:52 AM   #142
I wanna be Dave

thanks ben!
yeah those Canadians have some great stuff there at GCM. they have a shock laydown kit for the ascender, but its sold out. looks like i could make one easy enough with some aluminum bar stock, maybe solder nuts inside both ends to screw it in as a cross member to the frame.
yeah i remember they recommend a set of shocks, i want to say they are traxxas big bores or something. i think its in one of their youtube vids (which i have watched extensively).
OR! orrr.... i could just buy their stage 2 leaf kit and it comes with the cross brace to lay the shocks down.
hmmm...
there is still the option of cantilevers too. TO GOOGLE!

oh and i didn't get those pics posted but you can all pretty well imagine the rear shock towers lifting the bed so high it angles the body like a dragster.
i will post them later though. I'm kinda proud of my wiring and electronics locations. its clean and keeps everything forward.

ok... TO GOOGLE!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:57 AM   #143
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
thanks ben!
yeah those Canadians have some great stuff there at GCM. they have a shock laydown kit for the ascender, but its sold out. looks like i could make one easy enough with some aluminum bar stock, maybe solder nuts inside both ends to screw it in as a cross member to the frame.
yeah i remember they recommend a set of shocks, i want to say they are traxxas big bores or something. i think its in one of their youtube vids (which i have watched extensively).
OR! orrr.... i could just buy their stage 2 leaf kit and it comes with the cross brace to lay the shocks down.
hmmm...
there is still the option of cantilevers too. TO GOOGLE!
Don't forget the GCM front radius arm suspension for the Ascender too for that authentic Ford front end.

Sorry if I just gave you more ideas.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:10 AM   #144
I wanna be Dave

wait... the what now??? got a link?!
i was on there looking at ascender stuff but never saw radius arms?

and to lay the rear shocks i could just use whats already there... the brace for the "fuel cell" or rx box sits on top of. I'm sure i could mount shocks to that. i happen to have a spare, too.
worth a shot!

oh! and when i got home last night, i had a traxxas micro servo waiting for me! need to figure out brackets to mount so i can have my 2 speed working!
Old 01-03-2018, 09:21 AM   #145
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

wait... the what now??? got a link?!
i was on there looking at ascender stuff but never saw radius arms?
The radius arms should be on their site any day now from what I understand. All the mounts and accompanying parts to install them on the Ascender are up on their Shapeways store.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/gcmr...rra+Bronco&s=0

This is what the full setup looks like:

Old 01-03-2018, 09:28 AM   #146
I wanna be Dave

WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!

how have i not seen this?! I'm subscribed to them on youtube and check for new content weekly!!

and that scale drivetrain!!!

uh...

might have to start all over now hahaha

yeah... might have to sell the yeti to fund the rebuild. haha v2.0 before v1 ever got finished?
oh man... I'm looking at the parts and stuff on shapeways now. might have to finagle a bit to get the wheelbase right, but... man this is... hey where does the steering servo go? everything is so low-slung, even the motor sits lower with that scale drivetrain. I'm guessing servo would have to lay down on its side up front, horn facing aft, pivot on the right?
*and i just realized to mount the radius arms, i would have to cut off the super-nice sliders Ernie soldered to the frame. ahhhhhhhh mods... maybe i could "notch" those GMC mounts... and then the arm itself might bang up against those same sliders. hmmm... i need to learn how to do frame soldering...

i need to watch these vids that i somehow missed!

Last edited by Shinchu; 01-03-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:46 PM   #147
I wanna be Dave

Another post that is a rsult of me on the bench earlier, discovering something very disappointing.

HOW is there not enough adjustment in the GCM forward mount kit... TO ACTUALLY MESH THE PINION AND SPUR!?!!!?

i even went to my LhS and bought a losi 16t 48p to see if that would mesh. (Bigger diameter, should be closer)

NNNNNNOPE!!!

seriously, the motor hits the trans case, and wont get close enough to mesh a friggin 16t.
And because of the increased pinion teeth, i even said what the hay, and sprung for a brand spankin new rc4wd 35t brushed motor.

So my question is, ascenderholics...

How the heck do i mesh my gears and get this thing running?!!!
This has me so flustered im on my 2nd whiskey and coke.

Truck should have been running. TONIGHT.
Oh, and they didntnhave any servo mounts for the 2 speed shift servo. So... aside from fabricating mounts from... random stuff i have lYing around.. maybe it wouldnt run tonight afterall. Still! How does anyone with gcm forward mount actually go anywhere?!!?

ASCENDERS, ASSEMBLE!!!!!
Old 01-03-2018, 08:45 PM   #148
RCC Addict

Can you PM that Generis guy?
Something doesn't sound right.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:40 PM   #149
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Another post that is a rsult of me on the bench earlier, discovering something very disappointing.

HOW is there not enough adjustment in the GCM forward mount kit... TO ACTUALLY MESH THE PINION AND SPUR!?!!!?

i even went to my LhS and bought a losi 16t 48p to see if that would mesh. (Bigger diameter, should be closer)

NNNNNNOPE!!!

seriously, the motor hits the trans case, and wont get close enough to mesh a friggin 16t.
And because of the increased pinion teeth, i even said what the hay, and sprung for a brand spankin new rc4wd 35t brushed motor.

So my question is, ascenderholics...

How the heck do i mesh my gears and get this thing running?!!!
This has me so flustered im on my 2nd whiskey and coke.

Truck should have been running. TONIGHT.
Oh, and they didntnhave any servo mounts for the 2 speed shift servo. So... aside from fabricating mounts from... random stuff i have lYing around.. maybe it wouldnt run tonight afterall. Still! How does anyone with gcm forward mount actually go anywhere?!!?

ASCENDERS, ASSEMBLE!!!!!
Hey Chris, I had a Holmes Brushed motor in that with no problems. Sounds like a dumb question, but can you rotate to different mounting holes on the motor?
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:00 PM   #150
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for replying Ernie.
Its a tamiya 27t brushed with 4 holes total. I have tried clocking it like crazy, nearly got it to bite with the 16tooth, but gentle throttle just brrrrrp skips teeth. No damage yet, thankfully. Im being gentle despite being on my 3rd whisky and coke.
Looking at google images of hh brished motors, holes look the same as tamiya. Huh.

I havent opened the rc4wd 35t motor yet, on account of possibly discovering some revalation of being able to use the 12tooth.
Heh, i mean, now that i think of it, 12tooth on 35 turn motor with 3s power and a 2 speed trans... would be a torquey rocket! Well, in theory.

Thanks. Im going to head back out to patiently and gently wrestle, er i mean tinker with it some more.

If ben aka itali83 chimed in with some 2 speed knowledge, i sure wouldnt complain...

*ok i have tried and tried, even with the rc4wd motor. No luck. I am 99% sure the culprit is a spur gear that is too small. Yup. Quick google search says frame needs to be notched slightly to clear the stock spur gear.
This frame is not notched, and the spur spins with plenty of clearance.

Heh. My troubleshooting is expensive haha
On the bright side, i have motor and gearing options!

Sorry for the tangent. Gonna call around shops tomorrow and see who has a stock ascender spur in san diego.

Last edited by Shinchu; 01-03-2018 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:35 AM   #151
RCC Addict

You probably still have the twin hammers spur gear on there. You need the ascender 86 tooth spur. Not the 78 (I think) that the twin hammers has for a spur gear. Try that. Makes sense now you saying the frame isn't notched and your got plenty of clearance.

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:17 AM   #152
I wanna be Dave

I come bearing more news of expensive yet perfect parts for this build:

1979 F-150 hard body

1979 F-150 - wheelbase 313mm - JKRC
Old 01-04-2018, 03:16 PM   #153
I wanna be Dave

Thanks ben! Thats what i suspected, but good to hear confirmation. Gonna call aroumd and see who has the ascender 86.
So for sure i have spare motors and pinion gears now lol and nope! No hangover haha

As for that hardbody 79 ford... i have seen them on youtube.

Its tempting. But that much money? And i think its 3D printed, so i worry about heat warp.
All that considered, its not very accurate. Grill is too slanted. Mirrors are incorrect. Short bed.

Now, about 66% of that is fixable. And i do like the wheelbase. Seems more properly scaled.
Umm... but the price?

Ok. Just clicked the link and...

WANT!!!!!!!
$225 with bed topper shell?! Ok im about 90% convinced i need to sell the yeti now. Or... something.

*just called the shop i went to yesterday. They dont carry vaterra parts at all. Strange.
Welp, to the interwebs!!!

Last edited by Shinchu; 01-04-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:05 PM   #154
RCC Addict

Vaterra Ascender Spur Gear, 86T, 48P (2)
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:12 PM   #155
RCC Addict

Glad you got that figured out!

$225 for a plastic body?

I wouldn't mind a lexan body like that - I had a '76 F250 Hi-Boy 4x4 - neat truck! I'll have to see if I have picture. Drove it 79 to 89 and sold it for what I paid for it!
Old 01-04-2018, 09:30 PM   #156
I wanna be Dave

Nice. I dont know if you saw why im building a 79 ford, but my pop had one. Its a truck that i have a very long and fond memory of.
Sadly, he offered the truck to me around 2004, but i had orders to japan and no place to keep the truck. I never saw it again.
And yes $225 for a 3D printed hard body. Sounds about right. In the scale scene, hard body is the way to go, not lexan. Comp yes, lexan due to less weight up top and takes abuse. But this wont be a comp rig, at least not formost.
Thats said, Chris if you want a lexan, jconcepts has the 79. I know the grill is different, but with clever use of styrene and maybe 3d printed parts, you could probably make it a 76 faily easy.
http://www.jconcepts.net/shop/1979-f...ter-truck-body

Anyway yeah Ernie i looked at the old build thread again, that is a super helpful resource!
Looks like you had a pretty big pinion gear on there, 17tooth or bigger?
Also saw how the linkage goes together for the shift servo. I need to figure out an idea to mount the servo.
Did you fab a couple of blocks from aluminum and drill/tap?
Maybe that bumper material will come in handy! ;)

About to order a stock 86t spur. I saw rpp hobby has them 2 for $10. So i will have a spare, and should be running when it gets here in a couple days. Knowing rpp, it will arrive before i post this lol

Ahhhh so close to running, i can taste it!!!

Last edited by Shinchu; 01-04-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:01 AM   #157
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Nice. I dont know if you saw why im building a 79 ford, but my pop had one. Its a truck that i have a very long and fond memory of.
Sadly, he offered the truck to me around 2004, but i had orders to japan and no place to keep the truck. I never saw it again.
And yes $225 for a 3D printed hard body. Sounds about right. In the scale scene, hard body is the way to go, not lexan. Comp yes, lexan due to less weight up top and takes abuse. But this wont be a comp rig, at least not formost.
Thats said, Chris if you want a lexan, jconcepts has the 79. I know the grill is different, but with clever use of styrene and maybe 3d printed parts, you could probably make it a 76 faily easy.
1979 Ford F-250 Monster Truck Body | JConcepts

Anyway yeah Ernie i looked at the old build thread again, that is a super helpful resource!
Looks like you had a pretty big pinion gear on there, 17tooth or bigger?
Also saw how the linkage goes together for the shift servo. I need to figure out an idea to mount the servo.
Did you fab a couple of blocks from aluminum and drill/tap?
Maybe that bumper material will come in handy! ;)

About to order a stock 86t spur. I saw rpp hobby has them 2 for $10. So i will have a spare, and should be running when it gets here in a couple days. Knowing rpp, it will arrive before i post this lol

Ahhhh so close to running, i can taste it!!!
Hey Chris, I used the Twin Hammer mount kit, I think I have one still unopened that I could send you, let me know. (Usual Price to you)
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:26 AM   #158
I wanna be Dave

sounds great! i'm not trying to re-invent the wheel here, so any time i can use the same stuff you did, that's what i do! hence the exact same traxxas micro servo.

also just found thunder tiger wheels on ebay... I'm not sure but they look like 1.55 and they are 95% accurate to my dad's old wheels! these are 6 lug but i could modify them with some scale lugs and fix that.
and ONLY $20 for a set!!!! not beadlock though. i wonder if i could cut them apart and make them into beadlocks...

that 86t spur has shipped from RPP
Old 01-07-2018, 07:51 PM   #159
I wanna be Dave

So i found a bin in the garage marked "books" and thought, well what kind?
Opened it and its a bunch of old car magazines, my grandpas marble sack, and a vhs my dad made back in about 1981, the very first copy of star wars i ever saw. But whats this in the slip case with the tape? A photo.

Yup.

THE photo.

The only photo i know of with my dads truck in it.

And yes im the little 7 year old twerp with my dad on the quad lol

Here is a bit closer, sorry for the blur, i might scan the pic later...

And that confirms a couple things for me. Both the grill, and headlight bezels are black. No vertical bumper guards. And in the wide shot you can JUST see the upper corner of the glasstite camper shell, no roof bars but it has the red reflector.

And that shell reminds me, i could probably cheat and re tool a rc4wd blazer topper to fit, and if i add the brown mountain range tint my pop had on all 3 windows... no need for a drop bed? Just cut holes for the shock towers and i wont need to fork over the cash for rear leaf conversion. At least not right away.

Finding this pic was huge for me. For build accuracy and sentimental value.
I put it up on the pegboard of my work bench for inspiration, and a reminder of who got me into rc in the first place.

Thank you Pop.

*my dad was buying that quad, scored for dirt cheap used. 125cc sold rear end honda. I just rememnered he also had a honda monkey before i was born. He had a thing for funky hondas i guess?! Lol

Last edited by Shinchu; 01-07-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:05 PM   #160
Quarry Creeper

Just a thought.....

This option could get costly, but, you might reach out to Headquake137 on YouTube and see if he would make you a custom one off body with the shell.

If you are not familiar with his builds, his bodies are hand made from wood !

This would probably have to be a show piece and a light trailing body.

Any ways here are a couple vids, one of him making the 77 ford and another of it driving.......be preparred to have your mind blown !

ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tribute to my Dad's 79 F100 featuring Banzai - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tribute to my Dad: 79 F100 Lariat - help me start Shinchu Paint and Body 8 08-11-2017 11:58 AM
Banzai II: TTC FJ Crawln Coles 2.2 Scale Rigs 35 06-08-2011 05:39 PM
Banzai or WarriorII addictedtonitro Electronics 20 02-09-2009 06:09 PM