Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Ummm...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2017, 04:52 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Ummm...

Ordered cheap ($19!) servo:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Came with a very nice free aluminum clamp-on servo horn, waterproof, over 20kg torque rating and faster than stock. Also new FlySky GT3C rx/tx - very impressed after taking it out of the box!

And... coming soon - Holmes 21t 550 Trailmaster/Hobbywing 1080 combo.

Soaked tires in Simple Green AND followed up with some Purple Power, just because I went out and found both...

Should be fun, thanks NateDog for more inspiration and tips!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2017, 03:03 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Ordered cheap ($19!) servo:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Came with a very nice free aluminum clamp-on servo horn, waterproof, over 20kg torque rating and faster than stock. Also new FlySky GT3C rx/tx - very impressed after taking it out of the box!

And... coming soon - Holmes 21t 550 Trailmaster/Hobbywing 1080 combo.

Soaked tires in Simple Green AND followed up with some Purple Power, just because I went out and found both...

Should be fun, thanks NateDog for more inspiration and tips!
You'll like that 1080 combo. You get a lot for that $40. The GT3C is a great upgrade. Let us know how that servo works out. I think I've seen it on Amazon and have been curious about it.
OldNTired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:20 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

I got all my functional upgrades lined up (other than a ProTek 3S shorty and RULRs and maybe a battery tray) and I'm interested to see what performance change I get without bumping up from 2S...

Need to install everything still!

Later I'm getting a new cab and wheels/tires. I like the cage out back too much to change from the "truggy" look - still unsure if I'll change from K10 cab or not. I be most def' sick of the yellow, but I figure it's likely to show if I paint over it.

I got a full soldering iron kit with some wire, bullets, XT60+ connectors, and the longer bolts to do the outboarding - looked through 2 entire LHS for M3x35mm and finally had to get HPI M3x42mm bolts that are only threaded at the very end - just barely going to work, will need to Dremel off the ends.

Trimmed the tire's rubber flashing in-between the center tread blocks and modded my grille (it was beat to shit already, glued some metal mesh behind opening after cutting away center):
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2017, 12:24 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Installed the SSD brass knuckles, SSD Pro aluminum C-hubs, SSD diff covers. Installed the STRC rear aluminum lockouts with the big bearings, installed the STRC upper link mounts front and rear. Installed the new servo and aluminum servo horn. Outboarded front and rear shocks. Painted wheels black. Painted hood black. Painted inside of bodyshell black. Stickered body. Painted entire body except masked front & rear window matte clear. Chopped about 6mm from the front body posts and dropped the body lower. Installed hacked grille with mesh Shoo-Goo'd into the opening. Called it a day.

(still need to install FlySky rx, HobbyWing 1080 ESC, waiting on BPC transverse battery tray to arrive to then also install Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster 550 21t, then run on 3S for first time, RULRs from JC Auto Design's Shapeways arriving later)
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2017, 03:03 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Wanted to throw a shout out to BPC - they called today, verifying that I wanted the more universal transverse battery tray (originally designed for the SCX10, I believe) instead of the Ascender-specific combo electronics mount/battery tray.

I mentioned wanting the universal version as I will not be mounting a winch & they let me know they have modified the original by forgoing the bent-from-one piece mounting tabs & adding separate bolt-on tabs providing more mounting flexibilty.

I'm stoked, this should allow me to have a better chance of clearing the longer 550 can of the Holmes Trailmaster as well as still keeping the full-size 3S battery packs as low as possible.

I'd love to get the higher-end 3S Graphene Protek Shorty LiPo, but that's a near-$60 purchase that is avoided by spending $20 on the battery tray...

Now i can utilize all 4 of my new full-size LiPo packs that I bought 18 months ago for the new Bomber I still have not assembled!

Looking forward to the tray arriving soon. Will post pics here, and again - I want to thank BPC for their "due diligence" in making certain I had not screwed up my order, and for their continued updating the functionality of their existing products.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Wanted to throw a shout out to BPC - they called today, verifying that I wanted the more universal transverse battery tray (originally designed for the SCX10, I believe) instead of the Ascender-specific combo electronics mount/battery tray.

I mentioned wanting the universal version as I will not be mounting a winch & they let me know they have modified the original by forgoing the bent-from-one piece mounting tabs & adding separate bolt-on tabs providing more mounting flexibilty.

I'm stoked, this should allow me to have a better chance of clearing the longer 550 can of the Holmes Trailmaster as well as still keeping the full-size 3S battery packs as low as possible.

I'd love to get the higher-end 3S Graphene Protek Shorty LiPo, but that's a near-$60 purchase that is avoided by spending $20 on the battery tray...

Now i can utilize all 4 of my new full-size LiPo packs that I bought 18 months ago for the new Bomber I still have not assembled!

Looking forward to the tray arriving soon. Will post pics here, and again - I want to thank BPC for their "due diligence" in making certain I had not screwed up my order, and for their continued updating the functionality of their existing products.
Nice. I can't wait to see how you mount the new tray. I like the idea of having a full size battery and not having to buy a new stock of shortys. Would you be able to get some detailed pics for a noob like me when you get it mounted please? I'm liking where you're going with this rig

-Tyler

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Active using Tapatalk
PounceTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:04 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

I'll be sure to do so, and thanks!

I did buy 1 Dynamite 4000mAh 2S shorty so I could run my K10 immediately, but frankly wish I hadn't!

I'll probably get rid of it, unless my Bomber build turns out to be extremely fast on my 3S, so then I could use it for a slow-crawl day (it'll be using a 3500kv HH Puller Pro...).
Old 12-29-2017, 09:10 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I'll be sure to do so, and thanks!

I did buy 1 Dynamite 4000mAh 2S shorty so I could run my K10 immediately, but frankly wish I hadn't!

I'll probably get rid of it, unless my Bomber build turns out to be extremely fast on my 3S, so then I could use it for a slow-crawl day (it'll be using a 3500kv HH Puller Pro...).
Great build
SO, what's the deal with the Dynamite battery? I bought two, so I had something for my K10, but haven't had it out yet. So, what do I have to look forward too?
Zippy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:48 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy1 View Post
Great build
SO, what's the deal with the Dynamite battery? I bought two, so I had something for my K10, but haven't had it out yet. So, what do I have to look forward too?
Those really are excellent batteries, I think he is just going the 3s route instead.
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:20 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy1 View Post
Great build
Yep, no worries with the Dynamite LiPo - it's sort of the battery Horizon Hobby "matched" to the RTR, as the electronics are also Dynamite. Funny thing is that I had also bought a Dynamite Passport Ultra charger 18 months ago to use for my Bomber build (still not done).

So, anyway - the battery provides reliable runtime of 1.5 to over 2 hours depending on throttle application. It's just that the Ascender is a wee bit slow stock, actually perfect for the first half-dozen times you run it if it's your first crawler - because slow and steady is what it's mostly about.

But, since I'm adding some weight (the brass knuckles alone are HEAVY!) and moving to metal beadlock wheels soon, I'd like some more power and extra wheelspeed is always handy, too.

I'm also installing a 550 sized Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster, and it's heavier. Just makes more sense for me to run 3S all the time.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:01 AM   #31
RCC Addict

You've been busy...
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:39 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Strange story regarding that - I am a terrible procrastinator with much to distract me... Anyone that's glanced at my Bomber thread has seen evidence of that.

I bring up the dragged-out situation in many of my posts to attempt to goad myself to actually sit down and build the damn thing!

Normally, I work a very stressful job that has me waking at 4:30AM Mon-Fri and being so exhausted that I just want to sleep when I get home every day.

I also take meds that make me sleepy at night, but recently 2 things have happened...

!. I had to change one of my meds and also take it in the morning - and it makes me wired a bit instead. I want to stay up late all the time, and can't sleep in - so I've had terrible insomnia.

2. They discovered bedbugs(!) at my office area, and all of us in that room have been prevented from going to work while they exterminate - thankfully we are getting paid.

The latter has happened twice in the last month - but never before. I've had the last 3 days off, and haven't been sleeping much leading up to now... I finally began catching up the last 2 nights.

I hope to finish all but the motor swap today, as the motor won't fit until I receive the battery mount. Looking forward to running it some before the weekend is over.

I am supposed to work Monday, the holiday - double pay. I worked Xmas day also.

Maybe I can continue this burst of useful energy and focus it on the Bomber as well!
Old 12-30-2017, 12:40 PM   #33

Quote:
Strange story regarding that - I am a terrible procrastinator with much to distract me... Anyone that's glanced at my Bomber thread has seen evidence of that.

I bring up the dragged-out situation in many of my posts to attempt to goad myself to actually sit down and build the damn thing!

Normally, I work a very stressful job that has me waking at 4:30AM Mon-Fri and being so exhausted that I just want to sleep when I get home every day.

I also take meds that make me sleepy at night, but recently 2 things have happened...

!. I had to change one of my meds and also take it in the morning - and it makes me wired a bit instead. I want to stay up late all the time, and can't sleep in - so I've had terrible insomnia.

2. They discovered bedbugs(!) at my office area, and all of us in that room have been prevented from going to work while they exterminate - thankfully we are getting paid.

The latter has happened twice in the last month - but never before. I've had the last 3 days off, and haven't been sleeping much leading up to now... I finally began catching up the last 2 nights.

I hope to finish all but the motor swap today, as the motor won't fit until I receive the battery mount. Looking forward to running it some before the weekend is over.

I am supposed to work Monday, the holiday - double pay. I worked Xmas day also.

Maybe I can continue this burst of useful energy and focus it on the Bomber as well!
Man that's unfortunate for the bed bug situation. Glad to hear a few things are getting better for you and getting some sleep. I feel you on the getting up early part. Work has me getting up at 330am. Some days I catch myself asleep at red lights on the way home.

Glad you're able to get some things done. Have fun man and try to catch up on some rest in between.

-Tyler

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Active using Tapatalk
PounceTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:32 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Dang! Don't bring those little suckers home with ya!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:53 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

I never got bit, and when they inspected my apartment I had no evidence of having had any. Office is open today, but since it's a holiday I'm the only person there!
Old 01-01-2018, 12:14 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Yep i used to get up at 4am when i lived in temecula, about 1 hour north of san diego where i work. Vanpool i was in left at 4:45am promptly.
Now i live in san diego, 20 min from base. Plenty of time and energy for wrenching on 1:10 and 1:1!

Anyway yeah i hear ya on lack of sleep, hard to find motivation. Im almost 40 and feeling it. Thankfully no meds yet.
Similar to your post up at the top of this page, i also love this crawler niche of rc because i need to get outside and walk around. Also a great bonding opportunity with my son. He loves his barrage and cant wait to get the drifters running.

Well happy new year brother, lets get these rigs running!!!

Last edited by Shinchu; 01-01-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:26 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Did a separate thread on the BPC battery relocator, as that might make it easier for anyone that may be searching for it. Anyway, still need to do my soldering, fiddled around with some other stuff - here's the proposed rough layout of my K10 electronics after the redo - HW 1080 ESC next to rotated servo, FlySky receiver on top of servo, on/off button for ESC might get stuck on side of servo, antenna routed through lower body post holes - we'll see how it all works out...
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2018, 09:53 PM   #38
RCC Addict

Quote:
Now, after all that praise, could I ask a favor? Could you post a pic of your steering from underneath on the Wrangler? Not from top down, but from bottom up? I think my servo is in need of 180deg rotation.
Here's now my 0231 fits in the frame and how the panhard bar just barely clears the control horn on full compression.

Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:22 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Chris!

I stared at some pics and did rotate mine to match, what bottoms out for me is the steering link directly on top of the servo horn where it screws on.

Panhard just BARELY clears, exactly like yours... It's plenty of travel, should be fine.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:18 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

haha durok your electronics layout is VERY similar to mine! only difference is i have my batt on right slider, ESC (and eventually HeyOK winch controller) on the left slider.
and my servos are mounted same as Chris with horn facing forward, rear pivot. BUT! i have them on TOP of the mount/brace, instead of underneath. gives a little more clearance for suspension travel.
oh and my antenna is going up the same way... playing with the idea of poking it up through the body to make it look like a scale FM radio antenna lol

that BPC tray is NICE! but i cant use it since I'm running the GCM forward motor mount kit.

Last edited by Shinchu; 01-03-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote

Ummm... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ummm... JasonInAugusta Chit Chat 15 07-10-2009 12:07 AM
Ummm... JasonInAugusta Chit Chat 13 08-10-2007 07:56 PM