Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Ummm...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2018, 03:23 PM   #121
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Ummm...

I'm stoked... I may need to try ordering another rear tower, this time in black - to see if I get multiple shock mounts AND body post mount screw pin holes... Boom Racing must be continually improving these. I am especially excited, because I've decided I don't particularly want to hack my cage up on the new body/cage that I'm preparing to install. With multiple shock locations front AND rear, my new shocks will be easier to set up properly for the 1.7" wheels and 4.19" tires - I'm going to be running lower all over, but am hoping to keep decent suspension travel AND crawlability!

(BTW - that's my word of the day: "Crawlability")

Pic from auction site of what the Boom Racing towers were "supposed" to look like (See? NO extra shock mount holes!):

And, what the heck - here's the shocks I got, also on auction (pulled off a new TRX4, still oil-filled!), fire extinguisher, Hi-lift jack, recovery towstrap w/duffel bag, 18t (oh, yeah!) pinion, and..... SSD brass rear axle weights.

There are a couple more scale items coming (one all the way from some of you guys homeland, AUSTRALIA!) but i am practically out of things that I even plan on getting - all I am toying with is replacing all the links with a stronger material - SS or Ti... I'm thinking of Ti turnbuckles mostly...

There will be a set of 1.9" wheels that are currently back-ordered from LURC - but I got the rings and tires already, to clarify - these will be SHARED with one or both of my upcoming Bomber builds!

........cuz they are super-schweet and TALL, they may only be run using the existing basher body/cage that's got trimmed fenders. NOT trimming up the new body, keeping that one's fenders all nice and full. Pics of these also below - just setting the ring on a tire as I don't yet have the wheels.
Attached Images

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2018, 03:44 PM   #122
Quarry Creeper

I am definitely going to have to check out those Sandstorms!! Obviously can't get them yet, but I realize that my plastic Axial Beadlocks will only last so long....
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:19 PM   #123
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, I remember when Boom Racing first released the Krait Sandstorm/Golem/Venomous lineup - they really did a neat job with them - the price is doubly impressive since hardly anyone else includes external hub covers with their wheels... plus they include shims to help with installing various tire bead thicknesses.

BTW - if anyone needs scale Hi-lifts & canisters, find a vendor that sells the TRX4 parts - only $3 for the Hi-lifts, choice of red or black, $3.50 per 2 for canisters in red/white/blue/yellow/black!

Last edited by durok; 02-10-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:44 PM   #124
Rock Stacker

[QUOTE=durok;5799435]I'm stoked... I may need to try ordering another rear tower, this time in black - to see if I get multiple shock mounts AND body post mount screw pin holes... Boom Racing must be continually improving these. I am especially excited, because I've decided I don't particularly want to hack my cage up on the new body/cage that I'm preparing to install. With multiple shock locations front AND rear, my new shocks will be easier to set up properly for the 1.7" wheels and 4.19" tires - I'm going to be running lower all over, but am hoping to keep decent suspension travel AND crawlability!

(BTW - that's my word of the day: "Crawlability")

Pic from auction site of what the Boom Racing towers were "supposed" to look like (See? NO extra shock mount holes!):

I wish I new about the multiple shock hole options before sending off my TSO1's back yesterday. Of course, I would need to figure out a way to attach the Bronco Body if I choose to get the gray ones. The black would not look bad either.to it some how.

BTW, any luck hearing back from Shapeway's for the upper link mount? Seems like a worthy investment provided they do not break as you experienced.

Last edited by BroNCo85; 02-10-2018 at 05:51 PM.
BroNCo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:51 PM   #125
I wanna be Dave

I think there are better places to utilize 3D-printed parts other than for suspension mounting points... I'm not yet convinced that the "premium" material Shapeways uses is up to the task. Thus far I haven't bothered to contact them... Because I'd rather not have to just replace them again if they continue to fail. $16 is a cheap lesson.

Currently, I'm using the stock floating battery tray mounts rotated 180 degrees and installed on the opposite end of the skidplate as a temporary solution, but they flex a bit when I cycle the suspension - I don't need them for their original purpose because I did away with the stock battery tray.

Vaterra hop-up aluminum replacements are available & would be fine, but they are pricier (2x) than the solution I'm now choosing - so I'm waiting for ScalerFab to make these steel side plates & then ship them (for $12.95):

https://www.scalerfab.com/products/s...-riser-mount-2

They make another version that are even cheaper ($9.95) for those users retaining the stock Vaterra battery tray:

https://www.scalerfab.com/products/v...-cage-brackets

I'm going to be painting mine black to blend in to the chassis a little better, but they allow for multiple choices in mounting the suspension links...

Last edited by durok; 02-10-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:20 PM   #126
I wanna be Dave

I'm waiting on another order to arrive from a different vendor - containing a WertyMade Ascender Flat-top bumper, a RC4WD winch anchor, and a scale pair of hard-anodized compressed air tanks from (gasp!) Integy - the only reason I got 'em is they were on closeout for less then $8 after the February discount code. Also, a cheap TFL winch from fleabay (coming all the way from Down Under!).

Oh - and I almost forgot - I got a nice sheet of diamond plate (in a pattern I preferred to the standard) from Hot Racing, I'm hoping to trim it without ruining it to use in the cage area:
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2018, 07:29 PM   #127
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I think there are better places to utilize 3D-printed parts other than for suspension mounting points... I'm not yet convinced that the "premium" material Shapeways uses is up to the task. Thus far I haven't bothered to contact them... Because I'd rather not have to just replace them again if they continue to fail. $16 is a cheap lesson.

Currently, I'm using the stock floating battery tray mounts rotated 180 degrees and installed on the opposite end of the skidplate as a temporary solution, but they flex a bit when I cycle the suspension - I don't need them for their original purpose because I did away with the stock battery tray.

Vaterra hop-up aluminum replacements are available & would be fine, but they are pricier (2x) than the solution I'm now choosing - so I'm waiting for ScalerFab to make these steel side plates & then ship them (for $12.95):

https://www.scalerfab.com/products/s...-riser-mount-2

They make another version that are even cheaper ($9.95) for those users retaining the stock Vaterra battery tray:

https://www.scalerfab.com/products/v...-cage-brackets

I'm going to be painting mine black to blend in to the chassis a little better, but they allow for multiple choices in mounting the suspension links...
$13 for both front and rear and better reliability is a winner in my book. I am reading as much as I can to better the bronco. Any help I can get is worth the time and reading. I appreciate it!
Old 02-10-2018, 10:05 PM   #128
Quarry Creeper

SWEET!! Scalerfab has some awesome stuff! I followed the link, and then looked around. They can hook up my Wraith too! Steel Stingers - front AND rear. And something I hadn't even thought about.... Steel Rock Sliders! It just dawned on me, that there's nothing hitting Rocks under there but soft plastic! OK, I realize that many people have wheeled Wraiths for over a Decade. It still seems that I should have some more protection under there, especially with the main Chassis to Cage mounting Screws right there!
40 bucks is somewhat steep, ESPECIALLY for me. But that's more like Insurance for my Rig!

And YOURS! It's becoming less and less Vaterra by the Day!! Awesome Build, and I'm glad to be following it.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:14 PM   #129
I wanna be Dave

So, I got a couple more parts... gettin' closer to finished!

(BTW - that Integy part (only thing I ever got from them, I think?) only cost me around $8, and I can disassemble it and use it differently, thought it would be a cool scale accessory for the caged bed (the other colors are more expensive, but I think they are discontinuing all of 'em - love scoring little trinkets like this!)
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2018, 07:27 PM   #130
Quarry Creeper

Nice bumper, got the exact one on my Bronco...if you want to add some d-rings to it, pick up these and a couple 3mm nylocks.

ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:48 PM   #131
I wanna be Dave

A side note - meine katze is always with me (in spirit) when I'm tweaking my R/C vehicles... whenever I go to move my chair back I check that I'm not going to run her over, and whenever it thunders I catch myself looking for her, too...

Stormy:
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2018, 07:49 PM   #132
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoJac View Post
Nice bumper, got the exact one on my Bronco...if you want to add some d-rings to it, pick up these and a couple 3mm nylocks.

Too funny! I was looking at those exact bolts, they are nicely turned -out, but they were out of stock at where I made the last order...
Old 02-12-2018, 09:40 PM   #133
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So, I got a couple more parts... gettin' closer to finished!
Sweet looking bumper, got a picture of it mounted up yet?

Quote:
A side note - meine katze is always with me (in spirit) when I'm tweaking my R/C vehicles... whenever I go to move my chair back I check that I'm not going to run her over, and whenever it thunders I catch myself looking for her, too...

Stormy:
Awesome another cute kitty buddy to help with RC tweaking! Yes, always got to watch where we step, roll the chair etc.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:51 PM   #134
Quarry Creeper

OK...... I'm gonna sound like a N00b here... WHAT are those bolts, and where can I get some??

I also think it's great when Kitteh wants to help! Mine helps by knocking over hardware!!!

NICE HAUL!!! Always good to score a good deal. Like the Stinger too! The Air Tanks can always find some use on our Rigs, and even represent a few different things.

Last edited by PoorManRC; 02-13-2018 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:14 AM   #135
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Sweet looking bumper, got a picture of it mounted up yet?
Awesome another cute kitty buddy to help with RC tweaking! Yes, always got to watch where we step, roll the chair etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorManRC View Post
OK...... I'm gonna sound like a N00b here... WHAT are those bolts, and where can I get some??

I also think it's great when Kitteh wants to help! Mine helps by knocking over hardware!!!

NICE HAUL!!! Always good to score a good deal. Like the Stinger too! The Air Tanks can always find some use on our Rigs, and even represent a few different things.
I haven't yet installed anything, wanted to go on at least one more run with the setup as it is now, using the battery mounts flipped and moved as RULRs, on my VERY-scrubbed in Vaterra TSLs...

SalerFab just notified me that my chassis plates/RULRs are cut and shipped, and RC4WD back-ordered 2 parts that I wanted, but shipped 2 others... Do you know how hard it is to find a decent scale-appearing toolbox that is NOT 3D-printed?

I've decided I'll begin the conversion to new body/cage/tires/front shock tower/shocks/bumper/RULRs once the RULRs arrive. Oh, yeah - and trimming the diamond-plate... I'll need to be careful there.

I can wait on the scale accessories - there's still more coming - (winch/canisters/hi-lift/light kit) - but that's it. Whew!

p.s. ..... as for Stormy, she's unfortunately ONLY here in spirit. I rescued her from a muddy ditch after a weekend of torrential downpours and kept her as a purely inside cat for 9 years. Sad to say, when I had my apartment fire in 2009, it was early in the AM and I was spending the night at a lady friends place. My feline companion had passed from smoke inhalation before i got there. Haven't since been able to deal with getting another furry four-legged friend.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:34 AM   #136
Quarry Creeper

I feel ya Bro. People who get pets either as a Home Decor or merely a toy for the kids, have NO idea what someone goes through, when you've let a furry friend into your Heart, not just your House, and tragedy hits.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:12 AM   #137
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, I'd really like to see some pictures of that bumper on a few different bodies. I have a Proline 4runner so I'd like to get an idea of how far out it would stick.

I periodically paint bodies whenever I'm cat sitting for a buddy. Sophie the cat likes to sit in my lap while I'm trimming and prepping the body. Needless to say, those bodies always come out with a few cat hairs embedded in the paint. Fortunately, after a few rollovers it's really hard to distinguish between what are trail-scratches and what are cat hairs.
colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:23 AM   #138
RCC Addict

Those bolts come with shackles here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-10-Hooks-...item33dbd03365

Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:58 AM   #139
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I haven't yet installed anything, wanted to go on at least one more run with the setup as it is now, using the battery mounts flipped and moved as RULRs, on my VERY-scrubbed in Vaterra TSLs...

p.s. ..... as for Stormy, she's unfortunately ONLY here in spirit. I rescued her from a muddy ditch after a weekend of torrential downpours and kept her as a purely inside cat for 9 years. Sad to say, when I had my apartment fire in 2009, it was early in the AM and I was spending the night at a lady friends place. My feline companion had passed from smoke inhalation before i got there. Haven't since been able to deal with getting another furry four-legged friend.
Get one more good crawl on and remember what you baseline is.

At least you had her for 9 years and gave her a great life, it's difficult and we've had our share of sadness when they pass, but remember them for the happiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbynobo View Post
Yeah, I'd really like to see some pictures of that bumper on a few different bodies. I have a Proline 4runner so I'd like to get an idea of how far out it would stick.

I periodically paint bodies whenever I'm cat sitting for a buddy. Sophie the cat likes to sit in my lap while I'm trimming and prepping the body. Needless to say, those bodies always come out with a few cat hairs embedded in the paint. Fortunately, after a few rollovers it's really hard to distinguish between what are trail-scratches and what are cat hairs.
Yes, great looking bumper was also wondering about how far out it sticks, I like my bumpers high and tight.

Nice to have Sophie keeping you company, they remind me when to take breaks too.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:37 AM   #140
Rock Stacker

Quote:

Stormy:
Hate to hear the loss of a loved one. I know all too well losing animals is a hard thing to bear. Lyla, my current cat would always get in the way of my RC parts and just plant her sassy butt down knowing full well what she was doing

Ummm... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ummm... JasonInAugusta Chit Chat 15 07-10-2009 12:07 AM
Ummm... JasonInAugusta Chit Chat 13 08-10-2007 07:56 PM