Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Ummm...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2018, 01:35 AM   #141
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Ummm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Those bolts come with shackles here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-10-Hooks-...item33dbd03365

THANK YOU!!!!
I KNEW I've seen them before, I just couldn't place it. Sucks getting older!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroNCo85 View Post
Hate to hear the loss of a loved one. I know all too well losing animals is a hard thing to bear. Lyla, my current cat would always get in the way of my RC parts and just plant her sassy butt down knowing full well what she was doing
Yeah, my Katrina does that too! She's less than 5lbs, but she can make herself VERY large at times!!
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2018, 03:36 PM   #142
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I think there are better places to utilize 3D-printed parts other than for suspension mounting points... I'm not yet convinced that the "premium" material Shapeways uses is up to the task. Thus far I haven't bothered to contact them... Because I'd rather not have to just replace them again if they continue to fail. $16 is a cheap lesson.

Currently, I'm using the stock floating battery tray mounts rotated 180 degrees and installed on the opposite end of the skidplate as a temporary solution, but they flex a bit when I cycle the suspension - I don't need them for their original purpose because I did away with the stock battery tray.

Vaterra hop-up aluminum replacements are available & would be fine, but they are pricier (2x) than the solution I'm now choosing - so I'm waiting for ScalerFab to make these steel side plates & then ship them (for $12.95):

https://www.scalerfab.com/products/s...-riser-mount-2

They make another version that are even cheaper ($9.95) for those users retaining the stock Vaterra battery tray:

https://www.scalerfab.com/products/v...-cage-brackets

I'm going to be painting mine black to blend in to the chassis a little better, but they allow for multiple choices in mounting the suspension links...

Did you receive your scalerfab link mounts yet? Got mine in today and having issues trying to figure how to put it on. I searched YouTube and couldn’t find any information on them.
BroNCo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:43 PM   #143
Rock Stacker

Nvm, I was able to get it figured out. I ended up tearing some things to try and figure out how. Silly me. Now, onto gettting rock sliders!
Attached Images

BroNCo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:00 PM   #144
I wanna be Dave

I still haven't received mine. You're look like they are working out great! I may paint mine prior to install, since they will be fairly visible on a K10. I'll be finally performing all the updates to my Ascender when the final parts arrive. Got my TFL winch from Australia(!) and it's really nice looking, but the WertyMade bumper and the winch plate don't have matching holes... I'll need to figure something out, there. Also, I may need to decide on either lights OR winch - doesn't look like both will fit simultaneously. Lots going on outside of the RC world for me right now, may not be here as often as I'd like for the near future.

Last edited by durok; 03-02-2018 at 10:10 PM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:21 PM   #145
I wanna be Dave

Speak of the devil...
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2018, 07:34 PM   #146
I wanna be Dave

I'm annoyed - just stripped my Wiha 2mm nutdriver after 2 of the 4 RC4WD wheels... maybe I'm tightening them too tight... LOLz

Now I'm back to using the 2mm "adapter" that comes with the wheels. It's a freakin' nightmare and I've almost stripped it out, too.

Nearly done, though. I'll work on installing the bumper, the Boom Racing front shock tower, the TRX-4 shocks, and the SSD brass rear axle weights next.

Might be tomorrow night before I'm done and have the new wheels & tires mounted. Test drive, maybe - weather permitting... (with a 18t pinion? On 3S with the HH 550 can, oh boy...)

Then paint the new cab, cut the diamond-plate for the new cage, mount all the scale accessories. I'll check if I can add the GMade round light buckets to the WertyMade bumper, last.

...and I've started listing some unneeded parts to try and recoup some of what I blew on upgrades - the end of my contract is coming up fast.

Last edited by durok; 03-04-2018 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:37 PM   #147
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm annoyed - just stripped my Wiha 2mm nutdriver after 2 of the 4 RC4WD wheels... maybe I'm tightening them too tight... LOLz

Now I'm back to using the 2mm "adapter" that comes with the wheels. It's a freakin' nightmare and I've almost stripped it out, too.

Nearly done, though. I'll work on installing the bumper, the Boom Racing front shock tower, the TRX-4 shocks, and the SSD brass rear axle weights next.

Might be tomorrow night before I'm done and have the new wheels & tires mounted. Test drive, maybe - weather permitting... (with a 18t pinion? On 3S with the HH 550 can, oh boy...)

Then paint the new cab, cut the diamond-plate for the new cage, mount all the scale accessories. I'll check if I can add the GMade round light buckets to the WertyMade bumper, last.

...and I've started listing some unneeded parts to try and recoup some of what I blew on upgrades - the end of my contract is coming up fast.
Just to share a little info with you. I know we all have different tuning styles so take it for what it is worth. I been tuning on my new set up on my 46 Power Wagon and have been tuning my TRX4 shocks. For my testing today I set them up with 27.5W oil in the front and 30W the rear. For springs I have the new 30s in the front and 39s in the rear. Went to the rocks and it crawled like a beast! Just thought it might help you a little.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:22 AM   #148
Quarry Creeper

Ernie, that sounds like a good setup!!

You brought up something else, that has been a thorn in my side for over 30 years!!
For the Springs, you labelled them 30s and 39s.... To me, even with a long time in the Hobby, those numbers mean nothing to me.
Not just that - but it seems like nearly EVERY Manufacturer has a DIFFERENT way of measuring Spring Rates!!!!

For example - on my Wraith, I used 1.77 in/oz in the front and 1.21 in the rear. I recently learned that comparable Springs from Associated would be 2.95/1.45 (F/R). Duratrax would be Black/Purple. Losi, Soft/XX Soft! There was a couple of more I looked up, but can't remember...

In your (or anyone's) opinion, is it already too late to institute some Standards - Especially for frequently used tuning parts, such as Springs???
I've been in Model Railroading even longer than RC (started in 1975!). Hobbywide - there has been a major governing body (NMRA) that set Standards, that the Manufacturers have just followed, since 1954!! ANY Model Train WILL couple with any other Manufacturer's Trains, and everybody's wheel spacing and flange depth, HAS to be the same, and run well on anyone's Brand of Track! There's Hundreds of other Standards, but you get the idea....

There are several things related to RC Vehicles, that seems way too proprietary, unique, or just plain WEIRD!!! Spring Rates may just be the WORST.

Maybe I'm just blowing smoke...... Back to our regularly scheduled programming!
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:39 PM   #149
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Just to share a little info with you. I know we all have different tuning styles so take it for what it is worth. I been tuning on my new set up on my 46 Power Wagon and have been tuning my TRX4 shocks. For my testing today I set them up with 27.5W oil in the front and 30W the rear. For springs I have the new 30s in the front and 39s in the rear. Went to the rocks and it crawled like a beast! Just thought it might help you a little.
Ernie
I had tried them temporarily on the Bronco and loved the way they made the rear feel, but with them only being 90mm eye to eye they seemed just a bit short up front, at least with the current links. What have you done as far as the steering links and panhard bar. When you get them dialed in and are done could you share with us what you changed and or modded. The shock rods are 47mm, I might try going with a 57-60mm rod.

From what I have heard, Traxxas will be offering a "lift Kit for the TRX4 Bronco with 2.2 wheels and will have taller shocks...might have to hold out a bit and see what length they are going to have.

Last edited by ScoJac; 03-05-2018 at 06:46 PM.
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:14 PM   #150
I wanna be Dave

Out crawlin'..... will edit post upon return, much to report - not all of it great news, I'm afraid...

EDIT:
Pics:

See anything wrong? (first pic)

(hint - look closely...) The Boom Racing front shock towers are not mirror images of one another - the damn body post holes are out of line! I had installed them, was about to thread the plastic post down in and noticed the hole was drilled off-center for the grub screw that keeps them in place, THEN I noticed the whole damn thing was cast incorrectly - almost as is the part was for another vehicle entirely - but even then the mis-drilled grubscrew location is a complete FAIL.

Needless to say, I'm going to notify AsiaTees/Boom Racing of this, maybe they can just send a gunmetal replacement set if they check out... not sure if ALL the black ones are defective yet...

For now, DON'T ORDER part # BR682004BK for the Vaterra Ascender... (!)

2nd pic, had to bend RULR to clear 550 Holmes can - may make a cut here and refinish or perhaps even cut a similar version myself later on...
Attached Images

Last edited by durok; 03-18-2018 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:48 PM   #151
I wanna be Dave

Other pics - I installed the WertyMade bumper, Gmade headlights (without wiring them up for now, no bulbs in housings), TRX-4 rear shocks (not the fronts because without installing the Boom Racing front towers I had no way to mount them lower), SSD Brass rear axle ends, RC4WD 1.7" Raceline beadlocks w/RC4WD Goodyear MT/R 1.7"x4.19" tires w/stock foams, 18t Robinson Racing pinion (to make up for tire size reduction).

I redid the servo & electronics mounting AGAIN, found a very entertaining olution to extending my drag link... (used a bit of hardware from a CPU cooling fan mount... and I have a couple extra! They are hex-shaped, with M3 threads on both ends).

My run was cut short by a sudden hailstorm (!!!)... but all was fine, speed and handling was fine, less rollovers with the SSD weight, LOVIN' the tires!

Got a couple very short crappy videos I may post later...

(had to prep my laptop for a Skype interview for tomorrow after work - I'm typing this on "SquareHead v2", aka my hardcore overclocked & overvolted handbuilt gaming desktop)
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2018, 06:27 AM   #152
RCC Addict

1.7 wheels huh? Makes the tires look much larger than 4.19.
They would look good on my TJ copy - the original had MTR's - best tire back then - a lot of the BFG's would get sidewall slices but not the GY's.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:54 AM   #153
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Other pics - I installed the WertyMade bumper, Gmade headlights (without wiring them up for now, no bulbs in housings), TRX-4 rear shocks (not the fronts because without installing the Boom Racing front towers I had no way to mount them lower), SSD Brass rear axle ends, RC4WD 1.7" Raceline beadlocks w/RC4WD Goodyear MT/R 1.7"x4.19" tires w/stock foams, 18t Robinson Racing pinion (to make up for tire size reduction).

Got a couple very short crappy videos I may post later...
Love those tires and wheels, I need to do similar steel front bumper on my K10 too! Too bad about the improperly machined Boom Racing front shock towers, hopefully they send proper replacement, it's great having shock raise/lower mounting options! Love all the tire and wheel options we have nowadays! I love being out in the changing weather like that, how long did the hail last, did it end crawling for the day?

More pics and/or video would be cool, when you have time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
1.7 wheels huh? Makes the tires look much larger than 4.19.
They would look good on my TJ copy
Very nice and would look great on your little TJ copy!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:41 AM   #154
I wanna be Dave

I downloaded an inclinometer app for my Pixel XL to go back to the drainage area, I climbed up the most insane angle, was that grippy concrete... Not a "real" crawling test, but I was just in the office park behind my apartment...
Old 03-20-2018, 08:46 PM   #155
I wanna be Dave

Devil's Backbone:
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2018, 09:36 PM   #156
I wanna be Dave

As it sits now... Dang, I need to paint up that new cab and assemble the rear cage, and load it up w/my recent scale accessory purchases... and maybe blow the dust outta this thing?
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2018, 01:35 AM   #157
RCC Addict

Dust!! I haven't been out much because of the constant rain and liquid mud. Made up some inner fenders from a food storage box, but not tested them yet.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:33 AM   #158
I wanna be Dave

I'm in South Central Texas, we are just starting the dry part of the year.

Sure, we get rain - unpredictability is the name of the game around here - but MOST of the time, we have long stretches of hot weather that turns our trails to what we call "moon-dust".

Mountain bikers (I guess I'm one of those, too...) love rain, because usually the trails are suddenly tacky the day after, aka "hero-dirt".

Blink and you'll miss it!
Old 04-12-2018, 05:49 AM   #159
RCC Addict

Hi Durok,
you have taken your RTR K10 and really made it your own! it looks super cool now, those tyres look good, everybody seems to be loving them.

I think it will look even better the more beat up and dirty it becomes.

WASH THE DIRT OFF MY CRAWLER?
AINT NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT!
Yeti.stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:38 AM   #160
RCC Addict

Durok I ride a mountain bike as well, but the last 3 months have been so bad I have only ridden it twice. Just stuck to road riding or some easier trails. Should be out with the Ascender(s) tomorrow.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote

Ummm... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ummm... JasonInAugusta Chit Chat 15 07-10-2009 12:07 AM
Ummm... JasonInAugusta Chit Chat 13 08-10-2007 07:56 PM