Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Ummm...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2018, 12:42 AM   #181
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Ummm...

I have a confession to make.

I'm having an affair...

I have a cheatin' heart, but I will be back, back to my first sweetheart - don't y'all worry!

(Oh, lordy-lordy me, I feel so bad for her already - just look at her in the background, all forlorn...)

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2018, 01:15 AM   #182
RCC Addict

What! you two timin'......

Nah its All good Durok! go get your Bomber on! they are a blast!

Thats a sweet looking rig you got there.
Yeti.stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:25 AM   #183
I wanna be Dave

Thanks, my man!

Only took me two years to build it, I had bought it quite some time BEFORE the Ascender...

I can tell, even in the very short time I've spent so far - that it's a completely different animal from the Ascender - and since I was at a spot that I've driven before on "tiny tires" I also realized that I will want to swap back and forth driving between the two.

What isn't decided yet is which one is my wife and which is my mistress!
Old 07-17-2018, 08:34 AM   #184
I wanna be Dave

nice! two-timing on 2.2's haha i do that sometimes... ;)
and i had my yeti first too.
yeti = fun fling
ascender is forever <3
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:22 PM   #185
I wanna be Dave

Nightcrawlin'...
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2018, 10:44 PM   #186
I wanna be Dave

Top-notch crawlin' session today, ended up the evening at the bluff - it's been so hot & dry that it's turned to moon dust!

My buddy Miatardo with his Bronco and I hit it with a vengeance - he snapped this as I was powering through a turn to attack the hill:
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2019, 05:06 PM   #187
I wanna be Dave

Nice video and crawling spot, what's new?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:38 PM   #188
I wanna be Dave

New Enduro, and a ton of parts - weather is finally nice enough to go crawl, different work schedule, lots going on but not much to post - yet!

Although there is a thread in the Enduro section...

Braving the Element

Since the RTR body is very thin, I slathered it in Team AE decals so I won't feel bad as it disintegrates... have another body planned for it later:

Old 10-18-2019, 09:21 PM   #189
Slow is the new Fast

You've got the best Bomber paneLS Durok

I may have to copy-cat you on those should they ever be made available again. Would be inclined to put a paint or finish on them.

I enjoyed the Ascender video. That hill made you work for it The most rewarding moments in RC...

The Ascender is the Dark Horse, some things never change...
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:51 PM   #190
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
You've got the best Bomber paneLS Durok

I may have to copy-cat you on those should they ever be made available again. Would be inclined to put a paint or finish on them.

I enjoyed the Ascender video. That hill made you work for it The most rewarding moments in RC...

The Ascender is the Dark Horse, some things never change...
(Awww..... )

I have plans to remove the decals and paint those panels, eventually (bought etching primer way back) - and I have a DMG aluminum roof with steel lightbar protector as well (lightbars, too) - of course!

It's a NEVER-ending project...

That Bomber will eventually get another powerplant, axles, transmission, and driveshafts - I have those parts 95% assembled.

The existing parts will go into a lighter-weight Bomber-based build, using Xtreme Racing carbon-fiber chassis rails and a top-secret body - man, I hope I don't eff that thing up!

The Ascender has a new clear bodyshell, cage, and bumper waiting in the wings.

All this stuff has been laying around my apartment for years now...

Got loads of parts for the Enduro, too - but they will likely wait until MST releases that stunning J45C Toyota body - then it will be rebuilt from the ground up.

I have a problem!

I absolutely love that little bluff from that video, and the "Devil's Backbone" I posted elsewhere is right around the corner from it.

It's super-close to where I live, and I've never seen another crawler out there - except when Miatardo and I both go.

Temporarily I have weekends off, hopefully my schedule won't be too crazy afterwards - as I am planning on getting out and crawling a lot more!

However - we are going back into the 90's tomorrow!

After only a week or so of cooler weather... So sad.

Last edited by durok; 10-18-2019 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:13 PM   #191
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
(Awww..... )

I have plans to remove the decals and paint those panels, eventually (bought etching primer way back) - and I have a DMG aluminum roof with steel lightbar protector as well (lightbars, too) - of course!

It's a NEVER-ending project...

That Bomber will eventually get another powerplant, axles, transmission, and driveshafts - I have those parts 95% assembled.

The existing parts will go into a lighter-weight Bomber-based build, using Xtreme Racing carbon-fiber chassis rails and a top-secret body - man, I hope I don't eff that thing up!

The Ascender has a new clear bodyshell, cage, and bumper waiting in the wings.

All this stuff has been laying around my apartment for years now...

Got loads of parts for the Enduro, too - but they will likely wait until MST releases that stunning J45C Toyota body - then it will be rebuilt from the ground up.

I have a problem!

I absolutely love that little bluff from that video, and the "Devil's Backbone" I posted elsewhere is right around the corner from it.

It's super-close to where I live, and I've never seen another crawler out there - except when Miatardo and I both go.

Temporarily I have weekends off, hopefully my schedule won't be too crazy afterwards - as I am planning on getting out and crawling a lot more!

However - we are going back into the 90's tomorrow!

After only a week or so of cooler weather... So sad.
I can relate to having parts and bodies laying around. I occasionally find things I forgot about ...too many ideas, not enough time. The beauty of this as a hobby is that it doesn't matter whether it gets done a year later or the next day. I have two bodies and interiors in paint right now.

I look forwad to the Enduro and Ascender make-overs
Old 10-18-2019, 11:08 PM   #192
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I can relate to having parts and bodies laying around. I occasionally find things I forgot about ...too many ideas, not enough time. The beauty of this as a hobby is that it doesn't matter whether it gets done a year later or the next day. I have two bodies and interiors in paint right now.

I look forwad to the Enduro and Ascender make-overs
Heck, I just realized I forgot all about my TRX-4!

I am finally about to replace most of the electronics on it from when the JX 12V servo toasted everything. Also, new wheels and tires, very in keeping for the Defender bodyshell.

It's outrageous, because I was looking it over and it is nearly in brand-new condition, only had a couple packs run through it before the stock servo went, then let all the magic smoke out on my desk while I was hooking up a LiPo to the new servo.

I don't think I ever drove it with the white roof and whole-body matte clearcoat!

Sheesh...
Old 10-18-2019, 11:57 PM   #193
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Heck, I just realized I forgot all about my TRX-4!

I am finally about to replace most of the electronics on it from when the JX 12V servo toasted everything. Also, new wheels and tires, very in keeping for the Defender bodyshell.

It's outrageous, because I was looking it over and it is nearly in brand-new condition, only had a couple packs run through it before the stock servo went, then let all the magic smoke out on my desk while I was hooking up a LiPo to the new servo.

I don't think I ever drove it with the white roof and whole-body matte clearcoat!

Sheesh...
Costly lessons are usually lessons learned. I have also smoked some electronics with too hungry of a servo. It was a moment, to be sure. My kid was driving the Spawn when it started to smoke. He got my attention and then we watched as it drove itself into the lake
Old 10-21-2019, 04:10 PM   #194
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
New Enduro, and a ton of parts - weather is finally nice enough to go crawl, different work schedule, lots going on but not much to post - yet.
Thanks for update, always so many projects at my place too, cooler weather here too until today.

Quote:
Costly lessons are usually lessons learned. I have also smoked some electronics with too hungry of a servo. It was a moment, to be sure. My kid was driving the Spawn when it started to smoke. He got my attention and then we watched as it drove itself into the lake
Yep, but hey at least the fire self quenched!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:39 AM   #195
I wanna be Dave

First breakage to report!

Upon beating holy hell outta the Chevy, it began running in 3WD.

Threw a pin from the right front CV joint...

This truck has fallen from very tall obstacles and landed nose first, tail first, flat on the roof, on a rear cage corner, on one wheel (etc) - and considering the SSD brass at the ends of each axle and extra weight of the steel battery tray, I'm amazed that it has lasted this long without a hiccup.

Just shy of 3 and a half years... and Vaterra no longer sells this truck.

It's a sad state of affairs, especially since with a few tweaks this is still as capable as my Enduro.

I still have more (relatively minor) tweaks to come, when I get of my ass - it doesn't really NEED them yet, so it's easy to just keep bringing it as my backup when I go trailing/crawling.

I have Atomik RC (a division of Venom R/C) front and rear aluminum shock towers (I'm currently running Boom Racing rears ONLY, because of the manufacturing defect in their front towers), a 2nd pair of TRX-4 shocks for the front (need the adjustable towers to install them, have a pair of these shocks installed on the rear already), a clear cab (and PS-49 Sky Blue Anodized Aluminum Tamiya paint), and a fresh rear cage and aluminum panels.

(and of course more wheels and tires to swap back and forth, that goes without saying!)

Last edited by durok; 02-07-2021 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-07-2021, 05:41 PM   #196
RCC Addict

Should be able to find axles still. Think I saw some on eBay not too long ago. I have personally used the gpm axles and they’re ok too. I’m still saddened by the loss of the ascender. Luckily I’ve still got 3 running ascenders and enough to build a complete chassis with spare parts on top of that. My original rtr blazer with many many mods is still my most capable rig that always surprises the guys I run with and my favorite rig is my leaf sprung ascender. I’m actually almost done my hard body blazer on an ascender chassis too. Fix your truck and keep running it. Gotta keep the ascenders alive!!

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:25 AM   #197
I wanna be Dave

I did get a set of front axles AND the right size pins as extras for possible future breakages.

Ummm... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ummm... JasonInAugusta Chit Chat 15 07-10-2009 12:07 AM
Ummm... JasonInAugusta Chit Chat 13 08-10-2007 07:56 PM