Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: I'm Back :)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2018, 11:37 AM   #201
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: I'm Back :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
For what it’s worth, the Way I see it is that the majority on this site are looking for Vaterra’s next crawler innovation(we all want to know what’s over the next rock so to speak). This release doesn’t speak to that and likely wasn’t intended to.

I guess it make the Ascender more competitive in the marketplace.

Indeed! If you look around you don't get high quality in an RTR for $279. Now you can. They are usually the import chinese that have low quality parts that are hard to get replacements or mods for. It might not appease us hardcore Vaterra guys on the next best thing but it is definately the right step towards attaining that. More sales means more R&D.
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2018, 11:38 AM   #202
I wanna be Dave

Exactly we all want the Moon, If they were to build our dream rigs its very unlikely to hit the price point they need to be able to sell these. Who knows it might end up costing something like $900

I see this a response/competitor to the Axial RTR's which most people have come to accept that they need upgrading to bring them up to muster and I see this as no different.

Keep em coming!
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:42 AM   #203
Rock Crawler

Quote:
For what it’s worth, the Way I see it is that the majority on this site are looking for Vaterra’s next crawler innovation(we all want to know what’s over the next rock so to speak). This release doesn’t speak to that and likely wasn’t intended to.

This site is quiet compared to the noise on the book of faces. I agree though, everyone was thinking/hoping this was going to be an industry changer but those of us who listened and paid attention knew this was a V1.5 at best. They needed a 12.3ish WB RTR to keep up in the market with the Blazer gone. My response has been "and axial's latest releases were industry changing how?" Re-releasing of legacy trucks on the new platform is not "industry changing" IMO. Could the line use a V2? Probably, but the original SCX line on the market close to 7 years before the 2.0 was released iirc. I'm in. I'm sold. I have a spare gear set on the wall and I found a vendor for high clearance links for the Ascender I've been wanting to try but couldn't justify replacing my stock ones yet.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Ascender'nMN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:19 PM   #204
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascender'nMN84 View Post
Nationally, the original floating stock tray is technically illegal. Lots of local clubs will allow it to keep local members interested. SORRCA rules state that nothing can be added externally to "weight" the axle other than a servo. There's more to it but that's the gist.

The battery tray was a selling point for me originally. I thought it was a cool idea and at the time I was still fairly new (again) to the hobby and didn't have a stack of lipos. Buying shorty packs wasn't a hindrance in my mind at the time.

Yes, I LIKE the battery tray, and as long as I can buy those 3S 3600mah high-volt batteries for them I'm good. I just got another last week, my year-old one is slightly puffy and I'm not one to risk a fire. I also have a 1800 and a 2200 as well, just for backup, but they rarely get used. I have never run out the 3600ma one. Ever. After a few hours of crawling it's still above half full according to voltage. I charge it to 4.3 volts as that's as high as my charger will go.

I also like that it is as low as one could possibly expect for CG, and placing it on the axle was brilliant IMHO. I have no desire to change it.

The local clubs are rather lax on rules, and more interested in getting participants. So that makes sense on the tray configuration and any national rules.

I have 3 ascenders and recently got the new Axial Blazer. While I do enjoy my new axial, it's quite capable and fun to drive, in no way is it even in the same league as my built ascender. Perhaps compared to a box-stock one they are more similar than different, but pretty much every component on the Vaterra is more substantial than the Axial. From my viewpoint and direct experience with them both, anyway.

I agree that this new offer is more targeted at market share than being truly innovative and fresh. I won't be buying one. I don't really need a fifth rig, but if I was to buy something for a specific purpose, I have looked at the Axial kit. To me it is beyond disappointing that the Ascender kits were discontinued. IMO that was the best option out there and I'm so glad I built a couple. It really teaches you about them, and gets you going on the right foot. So much more so than any RTR, from any brand.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:37 PM   #205
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
No, now the RTR Suburban will come with plastic tranny gears. All other Ascender RTRs have always been metal gears and I've not had any problems with them.

No, the new Suburban bodied RTR will come with plastic tranny gears. It's done to have any entry level RTR truck ala Deadbolt, but Vaterra.

What Rich meant is that the plastic gears are high quality plastic and that they've not broken any. Vaterra metal tranny gears are still a hopup option.
Well I guess my 68 f100 must be an oddball? I can assure you it has plastic gears. First thing I did when I got it was pull it out and grease it. But when I look at the website it says metal gears? I also have a trans in my parts bin out of a C10. That also has plastic gears.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Last edited by mgputer; 09-27-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:54 PM   #206
I wanna be Dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79kcXEgduiQ

HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:43 PM   #207
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
Indeed! If you look around you don't get high quality in an RTR for $279. Now you can. They are usually the import chinese that have low quality parts that are hard to get replacements or mods for. It might not appease us hardcore Vaterra guys on the next best thing but it is definately the right step towards attaining that. More sales means more R&D.

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Exactly we all want the Moon, If they were to build our dream rigs its very unlikely to hit the price point they need to be able to sell these. Who knows it might end up costing something like $900

I see this a response/competitor to the Axial RTR's which most people have come to accept that they need upgrading to bring them up to muster and I see this as no different.

Keep em coming!

Yes.

Quote:
Well I guess my 68 f100 must be an oddball? I can assure you it has plastic gears. First thing I did when I got it was pull it out and grease it. But when I look at the website it says metal gears? I also have a trans in my parts bin out of a C10. That also has plastic gears.

I've not seen this, got a picture of the gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post

Nice, thanks!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:05 PM   #208
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I've not seen this, got a picture of the gears? :
I will see if I can get some tonight. The one trans is in my bronco at the moment so that one is not coming out. I'll pull apart the one in my parts bin.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:25 PM   #209
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascender'nMN84 View Post
This site is quiet compared to the noise on the book of faces. I agree though, everyone was thinking/hoping this was going to be an industry changer but those of us who listened and paid attention knew this was a V1.5 at best.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I totally get that the plastic gears and links are most likely there to help target the entry-level pricing tier. I think my issue is we got a 1.1 instead of a 1.5. As far as actual improvements to the platform go, we got link risers and a battery plate. /end list

In the years since the original release, that's the best they could do for improvements?

Still severely underwhelmed, lol. Hopefully they sell a billion of these and can put some of the money into product development so maybe someday we'll actually get a 2.0.....
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:20 PM   #210
RCC Addict

I am an Ascender fan. I really am. But this release is... terrible. That body is not proportional at all, Suburbans had 3 doors - not 4, and the wheel/tire combo is dated/blah. Look at the photos online of this thing next to the Axial Blazer, there’s no comparison. Especially since Axial trolled their own partner today and released the topper for their Blazer body. That was equivalent to when the Warriors signed Kevin Durant, for any NBA fans out there.

When I bought an Ascender a couple years ago, I did so because it already came with metal links, metal trans gears, and licensed Super Swamper tires. Those features are all taken away with this. Sure this version is cheaper, but you’ll eventually have to/want to upgrade everything they downgraded. What’s the point?

I would way rather get into a TRX4 Sport for the extra bit of money. This should only appeal to people on a very tight budget (I completely understand that) but anyone who can afford better would be foolish to buy this IMO compared to what’s out in the market today.

Just my $0.02. A little frustrated with this release. Was hoping for something awesome.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:22 PM   #211

Looks like Ascender 0.5.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Discohair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:38 AM   #212

Quote:

Sadly, I don't expect a new, innovative crawler from Vaterra. They bought Axial and since that is, for some reason that escapes me, considered the flagship of the crawling world I doubt they are going to innovate with Vaterra and make Axial look second rate.

Often times with brands, they start off great and slowly get watered down until nobody wants to buy the products and then they are forced into extinction. I hope Vaterra doesn't force their crawlers into ECX or extinction territory.

The Ascender is an amazing truck and it deserves better. Fix the torque twist and shut everybody up and it'll outperform an SCX10 II out of the box.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 11:49 AM   #213
RCC Addict

I REALLY like the color....can I buy THAT?

I would get a replacement Blazer body for my SCX10II.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:16 PM   #214
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I've not seen this, got a picture of the gears?

Well I pulled apart my C10 trans and it had metal gears. I will have to take some pics when I tear apart the bronco and put the scale trans in it. Something is telling me that I may have had a few to many barley pops when I tore it apart and im wrong though.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:24 PM   #215
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Not possible, they have always had metal gears. The Suburban has new tooled gears that use the same material as the Twin Hammers...The only way possible is if you bought it used and someone put a Twin Hammers DT gear box in it with the 2 speed locked out.

FYI
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:36 PM   #216
RCC Addict

Axial SCX10II Raw Builders Kit - $199

So, it CAN be done. Disgusting that it was Axial instead of Vaterra. Oh well.

Axial Racing - SCX10II Raw Builders Kit

Old 10-22-2018, 12:58 PM   #217
RCC Addict

Yup, my heart sank a bit too when I saw that.

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote

I'm Back :) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has anyone attended back-to-back G6 events (or want to)? mikebecher Recon G6 11 03-23-2016 04:53 PM
DMG Stiffy Kit: Long Back or Short Back DrDiff952 Axial Wraith 0 01-14-2014 09:48 PM
never drink a diet coke, and then a real coke back to back STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 17 05-26-2010 07:47 PM
LCC on it's back.....help! roll me back over! y2kgtp Team Losi Comp Crawler 5 02-15-2010 03:38 PM