Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: I'm Back :)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2018, 12:35 PM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: I'm Back :)

Sweet vid!

I noticed the rear cage seems to have been lowered on his Ascender - I think I can see how, but I'd love a close-up pic or two, and a brief explanation?

I have done my cab, but not the rear as it seems too complicated - I'd sure like to do it for when I switch to my 4.19" Goodyear MT/Rs...

So, Rich - whaddya say? Some tips for us?
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2018, 12:45 PM   #102
RCC Addict

Vaterra have a couple more instagram vids like it on there website, scroll to the bottom to find them.
That location looks cool, streets and houses right near a killer crawler location, where is this place Rich?
Yeti.stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:16 PM   #103
RCC Addict

Here are the links to their other instagram vids!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbSuilHBmcK/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbUkie-hFTY/

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bbc6OK_h7Zx/
Old 01-28-2018, 08:11 PM   #104
I wanna be Dave

Nice videos, the first is my favorite and like that it can full screen on youtube, where as Instagram just stays small. The RC4WD 1.7 Goodyear MTRs are 4.19" tall x 1.58" wide, very nice size and looks great with his lowered K10 body! Looks like he cut off lower rear part of cage that interconnects the two pieces that have body pins and the part that rests on top of rear crossmember, then lowered it and drilled new body pin holes, one set above the chassis mounts (to maintain height) and one set below to keep it from coming off while crawling, very nice! Nicely trimmed up front bumper too.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:56 AM   #105
RCC Addict

Very nice vid Rich. That thing grips like glue.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:22 AM   #106
Sr. Product Developer

[QUOTE=ScoJac;5793940]

Last night on YouTube I was searching for any new F-100 vids and I ran into some footage of Rich's personal rig..........Dude can drive

Thanks lol. The video was my first time using a rigged up gimbal on a pvc pipe and duct tape etc attached to my transmitter. Kinda tough trying to keep the camera pointing the right direction while trying to walk on rocks and drive lol. I"ll be working on more videos as I enjoy making them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Sweet vid!

I noticed the rear cage seems to have been lowered on his Ascender - I think I can see how, but I'd love a close-up pic or two, and a brief explanation?

So, Rich - whaddya say? Some tips for us?
For sure, Nate pretty much nailed it but the one thing i had to do was remove the cross bar between the shock towers so that I can install the body in the rear. It's a pretty hacky job but i'll share some pics later this week for sure.

When we were working on the K10 cage design, for some reason i just completely missed on making sure it could be raised or lowered if someone desired. At the time there was not a huge push on Class 1 or smaller tires so that wasn't taken into consideration....that's the challenge of this job...trying to predict or drive the future direction of a product while pushing through the design process to meet time lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti.stealth View Post
Vaterra have a couple more instagram vids like it on there website, scroll to the bottom to find them.
That location looks cool, streets and houses right near a killer crawler location, where is this place Rich?
This place is only a mile from my home. I mainly ride my Mountain bike up in this area and actually the majority of the rocks i was running on is part of the Down Hill trails. Good news is that other than every other weekend during the winter, getting hit by a mountain biker is not likely as most like to have a paramedic handy if they should go down LOL.

For those that might be local, here is the closest street address to get you to the location.
15024 Longview Dr.
Fontana, CA 92337

You'll notice from the images that you can park in the cul-de-sac and hike up to the right (there is a gate that keeps vehicles out that for some reason was open when google took the picture). On your way up, some other trail users have marked white dots as "gates" to help guide you up the trail.

Rich
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:29 AM   #107
RCC Addict

All these videos of dry rocks ffs. Go get wet sometime :P
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:39 AM   #108
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1tch View Post
All these videos of dry rocks ffs. Go get wet sometime :P
Not everyone lives in wet areas like we do M1tch. I don't mind running my trucks in the rain but I'd sure love a chance to have some sun during the winter months.

Rich, I'm jealous you have such prime crawling spots a mile from your house.
OldNTired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:54 AM   #109
Pebble Pounder

Looking at the satellite veiw... Wow...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/15....4769921?hl=en
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:50 PM   #110
I wanna be Dave

all i had to read was FONTANA. haha i used to live in Temecula and have been all over the IE. Nice spot, Rich! Now i have spots near my house i haven't found yet in Rancho San Diego, but I'm working on it.
and yes guys, we poor Californians don't get wet too often hahaha

good idea on the gimble, too. i need to rig something up, as I'm double fisting lol phone in one hand, Tx in the other. if i take a spill i will have to catch myself with my face lol i might actually invest in some sort of stabilizing rig and attach it to my Tx somehow.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:48 PM   #111
RCC Addict

Ah...a new crawling spot in Fontana.
I can visualize a casual meet and greet, and run some rigs one day.

We drove to Santiago Peak yesterday...a little windy and cold. 85 in the lowlands, 55 on top. Incredible views 6k feet up. Gnarly run in the Colorado 4x4.

Last edited by Browneye; 01-30-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:24 PM   #112
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Ah...a new crawling spot in Fontana.
I can visualize a casual meet and greet, and run some rigs one day.

We drove to Santiago Peak yesterday...a little windy and cold. 85 in the lowlands, 55 on top. Incredible views 6k feet up. Gnarly run in the Colorado 4x4.

Casual meet and greet????

What about October when I'm on holidays doing the Disneyland thing with the family, I may be able to slip away for a day out?

Loaner rig anyone?
Old 01-29-2018, 11:34 PM   #113
RCC Addict

From Australia? Oh yeah.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:05 AM   #114
Quarry Creeper

I'm jealous of you California folks. We're at the time of the year here in Colorado when my preferred rock section at the top of the nearest mountain is either bone dry or covered in snow. I never know until I make it there.

colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:08 AM   #115
I wanna be Dave

I'm still looking for a spot that would not require me to trespass or run from coyotes lol east county san diego is rocky but... populated.

hey rich i also forgot to mention in your vid, that's a nice red fuel cell you got there! ;)

Last edited by Shinchu; 01-30-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:08 AM   #116
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
From Australia? Oh yeah.
Australia? Yes! But I will be at Disneyland some time in October and google maps tells me its only 50 min drive to Fontana, does that sound right?

I'm open to visiting other places as well, that would make a great day trip, some of the scenery on this forum and cool crawler places you have look spectacular!
I would love to see some of it 😁
Old 01-30-2018, 11:43 AM   #117
RCC Addict

Quote:
Australia? Yes! But I will be at Disneyland some time in October and google maps tells me its only 50 min drive to Fontana, does that sound right?

I'm open to visiting other places as well, that would make a great day trip, some of the scenery on this forum and cool crawler places you have look spectacular!
We should try to get some of the Renegade Rockcrawlers involved - they're an active club in the region. Some local guys too but they're quite secretive, don't tell you where they're crawling. I haven't figured out the magic password or decoder ring.

Fontana is fine, there are plenty of open spaces around the region as well.

I live 6 miles north of disneyland - know lots of people that work there - have not been for more than a dozen years - it's a tourist trap. LOL Disneyland is the largest employer in the county. At least it was at some point IIRC.

We moved from Seattle 25 years ago - same place in north Orange County for the entire time.
All of the orange groves have been replaced with houses.

Sorry for the threadjack...
Old 01-30-2018, 11:52 AM   #118
I wanna be Dave

yes Fontana is close but 50 minutes? maybe if you do 100mph the whole time with no traffic? i lived in Temecula for a while, that's about halfway between di$neyland and Fontana. took me over an hour to get to the happiest place on earth.
i love that place and remember when it was $20 for California residents... the good ol' days. but now they are about to open the star wars park expansion and its going to cost me the price of a TRX-4 to get my family of 4 in the park.

anyway yeah... we need some sort of yearly(?) ascender meet. we don't need to get as fancy as axialfest, but it would be nice to have something for us. SoCal would be super convenient though ;)
Old 01-30-2018, 12:02 PM   #119
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:

Depending on the date in October, I'd be happy to meet up with you and bring a rig for you to run.
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:47 PM   #120
I wanna be Dave

San Bernardino has some sweet looking rock, didn't have time to check trails when I was down there for a job, but looked great, almost zero shade out on the rocks though and it was summer. That's cool, very nice of you Rich and meet up and crawl would be fun!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

I'm Back :) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has anyone attended back-to-back G6 events (or want to)? mikebecher Recon G6 11 03-23-2016 04:53 PM
DMG Stiffy Kit: Long Back or Short Back DrDiff952 Axial Wraith 0 01-14-2014 09:48 PM
never drink a diet coke, and then a real coke back to back STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 17 05-26-2010 07:47 PM
LCC on it's back.....help! roll me back over! y2kgtp Team Losi Comp Crawler 5 02-15-2010 03:38 PM