Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: 80's Ford Ascender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2018, 03:36 PM   #21
Slow is the new Fast

Default Re: 80's Ford Ascender

Styrene Filler pieces and a mock-up

smog is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2018, 05:20 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Looks pretty sexy! I regret how I did my grill. I was out of model glue so I improvised because I lack the patience to wait a day for the hobby store to be open to finish a project. It's OK though because I switched bodies any way.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:10 PM   #23
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
Looks pretty sexy! I regret how I did my grill. I was out of model glue so I improvised because I lack the patience to wait a day for the hobby store to be open to finish a project. It's OK though because I switched bodies any way.

Which body did you build a grill for?
Old 04-05-2018, 07:13 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

For my 68 f100 because I pinched it's nose. I'm now going to have to make a different one because I changed bodies and even though it's the same the lights are stickers instead of light buckets. I was going to buy an f100 grille but you have to buy the entire body to get it.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:39 PM   #25
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
For my 68 f100 because I pinched it's nose. I'm now going to have to make a different one because I changed bodies and even though it's the same the lights are stickers instead of light buckets. I was going to buy an f100 grille but you have to buy the entire body to get it.

It look great to my eye. Cool rig man!
Old 04-05-2018, 09:15 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
It look great to my eye. Cool rig man!
Thanks I decided to change the body. Keeping the cab for another project down the road.

I planned on making a wb4 with that body. Looks like it fits perfectly.

Where it sits now until the paint shows up.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:52 AM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Hey Smog, how are the boggers, as far as tires go? I really like the look, but I don't want to drop they money if they aren't any good.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:08 AM   #28
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyj View Post
Hey Smog, how are the boggers, as far as tires go? I really like the look, but I don't want to drop they money if they aren't any good.
I like them a lot. I'm not sure that they are the stickiest tires out there, but the tread pattern is great for dirt and mud. If I were always on the rocks I would be drawn to a stickier rubber
Old 04-06-2018, 07:10 AM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I like them a lot. I'm not sure that they are the stickiest tires out there, but the tread pattern is great for dirt and mud. If I were always on the rocks I would be drawn to a stickier rubber
Being in New England, where trailing is a mix of dirt, mud, leaves, rock, ect, it sounds like they would work!
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:27 AM   #30
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyj View Post
Being in New England, where trailing is a mix of dirt, mud, leaves, rock, ect, it sounds like they would work!
Absolutely!
Old 04-06-2018, 08:22 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

smog its looking good sir! and don't worry about not replying, i think we all have a sort of understanding that these builds take time ;)

grill looks FANTASTIC! are you going to ditch the chrome and go for that satin stainless look those grills have on the 1:1?
i was actually next to an 81 F250 at an intersection yesterday, reminded me a lot of this rig you're building here. this one was green though. had a REALLY neat winch bumper, where you could just see the spool of cable and the hook, the motor and mount were inside the fabricated bumper. very tidy for an old gal! i mean she was showing her age, but a really practical looking truck. wish i had time to snap a pic.

mgputer yours is looking nice too. you have this in any of your threads? got questions about it...

oh and smog i think the grill guy does light lenses too? seems like pulling teeth to get him to custom size for you but i would have asked about that while you had his attention. meanwhile I'm still waiting for RC Nerds to get back to me as well. communication has been great but its been a week since he said he will do it. hmmm...

heh... the old ford sector of the ascender family is certainly coming along! (yes it helps vaterra dropped the new BND body and proline's 79 but I'm all for it! we just need beds for these cabs!!!)
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:42 AM   #32
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
smog its looking good sir! and don't worry about not replying, i think we all have a sort of understanding that these builds take time ;)

grill looks FANTASTIC! are you going to ditch the chrome and go for that satin stainless look those grills have on the 1:1?
i was actually next to an 81 F250 at an intersection yesterday, reminded me a lot of this rig you're building here. this one was green though. had a REALLY neat winch bumper, where you could just see the spool of cable and the hook, the motor and mount were inside the fabricated bumper. very tidy for an old gal! i mean she was showing her age, but a really practical looking truck. wish i had time to snap a pic.

mgputer yours is looking nice too. you have this in any of your threads? got questions about it...

oh and smog i think the grill guy does light lenses too? seems like pulling teeth to get him to custom size for you but i would have asked about that while you had his attention. meanwhile I'm still waiting for RC Nerds to get back to me as well. communication has been great but its been a week since he said he will do it. hmmm...

heh... the old ford sector of the ascender family is certainly coming along! (yes it helps vaterra dropped the new BND body and proline's 79 but I'm all for it! we just need beds for these cabs!!!)
Thanks for the kind words and good ideas Shinchu. It’s appreciated. The grill surround will definitely have a satin steel finish. I am filling and sanding the joints on the grill surround now, so it will eventually be painted. I might end up mounting a winch to hide the filler pieces somewhat We’ll see how smooth I can get them. I am just beginning in the styrene game. My biggest concern is making it functional. I want to be able to use it without it busting to pieces.

I did pick up lenses and buckets from the same guy on Shapeways. Gonna light that grill up for sure!
Old 04-06-2018, 08:50 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

ok i think i have the appropriate response...

F YEAH!!!
(you know, cuz... Ford... F series...)

oh man that would make for a great custom plate (both 1:1 and 1:10)
Old 04-07-2018, 10:21 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Ok lets try this again.

I apoligize to Smog and or the mods who thought I may be trying to purchase a grill or setup something for production for Smog...

Any hoo.... Love the body, and built a custom chassis and SSD axles under it to replicate my first truck. A 1986 F150 in Ford midnight blue. I am looking for a 3d printed grill or files that can be shared on a site like thingiverse.

My point is.

A gloss finish is possible on a lexan body painted outside. I used rustoleum gloss metallic blue over a base of black Pactra to get my color...

And on a rock.

lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:03 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Ok lets try this again.

I apoligize to Smog and or the mods who thought I may be trying to purchase a grill or setup something for production for Smog...

Any hoo.... Love the body, and built a custom chassis and SSD axles under it to replicate my first truck. A 1986 F150 in Ford midnight blue. I am looking for a 3d printed grill or files that can be shared on a site like thingiverse.

My point is.

A gloss finish is possible on a lexan body painted outside. I used rustoleum gloss metallic blue over a base of black Pactra to get my color...

And on a rock.

I have one I did the same with. My daughters 79 Ford. I got the body in a trade and she's like Dad I don't like red!

It's the perfect name too, lil Devil with a smurf

Old 04-08-2018, 12:46 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

My bad, seems my comment started some uh, trouble?
All i was getting at was helping the community. I never said anything about selling or money.
I think fords are really gaining momentum and im surprised we dont see more options for grills and bodies.
Then again, it makes them that much cooler when you see custom hand made stuff like what smog is doing here.

Awesome work! Cant wait to see it all done and painted!
Old 04-08-2018, 04:21 PM   #37
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Ok lets try this again.

My point is.

And on a rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
My bad, seems my comment started some uh, trouble?
All i was getting at was helping the community. I never said anything about selling or money.
I think fords are really gaining momentum and im surprised we dont see more options for grills and bodies.
Then again, it makes them that much cooler when you see custom hand made stuff like what smog is doing here.

Awesome work! Cant wait to see it all done and painted!
I can’t ya I ever got the impression it was anyone’s intention to encourage some sort of unethical commerce. I can see why some posts may have been deleted however. We are back on track.

The truck looks great lonelycreeper. I Like how you used wider axles to give the truck a modified look. These jconcepts bodies a quite wide and give a more stock look with the tucked in tires.

Appreciate the encouragement Shinchu. It is certainly a rewarding thing in this hobby to see something materialize that began as nothing more than a challenging possibility

Getting a little closer with this grill. It's just resting in place here, but gives the idea of how it will look

Last edited by smog; 04-08-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:00 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I can’t ya I ever got the impression it was anyone’s intention to encourage some sort of unethical commerce. I can see why some posts may have been deleted however. We are back on track.

The truck looks great lonelycreeper. I Like how you used wider axles to give the truck a modified look. These jconcepts bodies a quite wide and give a more stock look with the tucked in tires.

Appreciate the encouragement Shinchu. It is certainly a rewarding thing in this hobby to see something materialize that began as nothing more than a challenging possibility

Getting a little closer with this grill. It's just resting in place here, but gives the idea of how it will look
Looking great. How are you planning on mounting it? I'm debating on a body like that. Keep it up. I look forward to seeing how it turns out when you are finished.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:27 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

That looks fantastic! I have been looking for a blackfoot grill since I have seen yours.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:16 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

That hood and grille is comin' along really nicely, my man!

GREAT lookin' Ford... and the wheels/tires are period correct - something I am a fan of seeing.

If you get a second wheelset, you could try out the RC4WD Interco Ground Hawgs, for a different but also very scale tire:

(Just spit-ballin' here...) mounted up on a set of deep-dish spoked wheels for a wide-track setup for some different terrain, or harder-cornering during some faster runs:

durok is offline   Reply With Quote

80's Ford Ascender - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford Atlas Ascender 2mtech Vaterra Ascender 11 12-04-2016 06:48 AM
80's Style FORD Crew Cab Step Side ***Pic Heavy*** v84x4 1.9 Scale Rigs 60 01-25-2015 09:46 PM
80's to 90's Toyota 4x4 vs 80's to 90's Jeep Cherokee 4x4 - which one to buy????????? entropy Chit Chat 12 06-24-2011 01:14 AM