Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: 80's Ford Ascender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2018, 11:00 PM   #41
Slow is the new Fast

Default Re: 80's Ford Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
That hood and grille is comin' along really nicely, my man!

GREAT lookin' Ford... and the wheels/tires are period correct - something I am a fan of seeing.

If you get a second wheelset, you could try out the RC4WD Interco Ground Hawgs, for a different but also very scale tire:

(Just spit-ballin' here...) mounted up on a set of deep-dish spoked wheels for a wide-track setup for some different terrain, or harder-cornering during some faster runs:

I like your idea. I find the Swampers are a bit tall for this truck. As much as I like them, they aren’t very scale. Also, I would like to eventually lower the body a little bit.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2018, 08:40 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Oh btw... Those weels are perfect on these fords...

lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:33 PM   #43
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwill16 View Post
Smog
That is a great looking ride you found. Being a Ford guy, I love these big bodies from Jconcepts. I haven't seen many of them in here. I just thought you might like mine. I got the 93 f250 body, and love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
How did you you like those J Concept tires?
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:30 AM   #44
Rock Stacker

WYD,
I liked those tires quite a bit. The compound is nice and soft. The foams that come with them are a little soft, so I made my own 2 stage foams for them with some extra foams I had laying around. That really brought them to life. My area is mostly trails and some rocks. And no matter what I came across, they just ate it up. Plus, they are cheap. I would definitely recommend them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
slickwill16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:11 AM   #45
wyd
Rock Crawler

[QUOTE=slickwill16;5820188]WYD,
I liked those tires quite a bit. The compound is nice and soft. The foams that come with them are a little soft, so I made my own 2 stage foams for them with some extra foams I had laying around. That really brought them to life. My area is mostly trails and some rocks. And no matter what I came across, they just ate it up. Plus, they are cheap. I would definitely recommend them.
Thanks. I was going to order some from the shop I work at but another shop I go to has them in stock so he will give me a good deal so I think I will grab some to something else to mess with.

Thanks again
Brian
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 02:47 PM   #46
Slow is the new Fast

Weather has finally turned to spring here. Took out the F100 for a little back yard play.

Last edited by smog; 04-24-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:14 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
https://youtu.be/gVeBWBNpDnk

Weather has finally turned to spring here. Took out the F100 for a little back yard play.
I took mine out too. All muddy. It was either mud or snow.

How do you like those tires?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:28 PM   #48
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
I took mine out too. All muddy. It was either mud or snow.

How do you like those tires?

They are the r35 compound, I believe. Running them with stock foams which are quite soft. Today they were great, but it was my first time out of the basement with them. They formed nicely over the terrain under the weight of the truck
Old 05-01-2018, 08:52 PM   #49
Slow is the new Fast

Got to laying some paint and doing some weathering on the Ascender F150 .I am mostly pleased with how it turned out.

Here is the truck that is inspiring this Ascender. It is my first pickup. A 1980 F150 I bought for 1k back in 1995 when I was a spry young man. I bought it when I was living in Vancouver. I remember correctly my girlfriend of the time took this pic in Bellingham WA. It was the trucks maiden voyage . Anyway, I am not so far attempting to necessarily recreate a scale image of it so much as perhaps create a version of it that looks like the truck It might have become should I have had the cash and desire back then. Truth is I bought it as a means to move to the BC interior.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:35 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Love this!!!!!

Man its so cool to build something from your past like this.
And now i know what you mean about front holes hahahaha
Very nice! Incredible job on the paint and weathering. Needs a pair of rc nerds mirrors! ;)
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:25 PM   #51
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
Love this!!!!!

Man its so cool to build something from your past like this.
And now i know what you mean about front holes hahahaha
Very nice! Incredible job on the paint and weathering. Needs a pair of rc nerds mirrors! ;)
Thanks Shinchu! It is fun to bringing it back to life. I would likely try to buy it back if I ever came across it again(this build is making me nostalgic)

Appreciate the tip on the mirrors. The only ones I have come across are on Shapeways. Are these the same ones you are referring to? The ones you have painted up in your thread look perfect.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:23 AM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Excellent job! I really have thought about doing the same thing due to my 1st truck was also 1980 f150. Mine was 2 tone silver and red. I lifted it and put 35s on it. I blew up the 400 that was in it so I put a 351w in it from a mustang. It was a great truck. I guess technically my 1st truck was a 79 scout but it's not really a truck.
Quote:
Got to laying some paint and doing some weathering on the Ascender F150 .I am mostly pleased with how it turned out.

Here is the truck that is inspiring this Ascender. It is my first pickup. A 1980 F150 I bought for 1k back in 1995 when I was a spry young man. I bought it when I was living in Vancouver. I remember correctly my girlfriend of the time took this pic in Bellingham WA. It was the trucks maiden voyage . Anyway, I am not so far attempting to necessarily recreate a scale image of it so much as perhaps create a version of it that looks like the truck It might have become should I have had the cash and desire back then. Truth is I bought it as a means to move to the BC interior.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:14 AM   #53
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
Excellent job! I really have thought about doing the same thing due to my 1st truck was also 1980 f150. Mine was 2 tone silver and red. I lifted it and put 35s on it. I blew up the 400 that was in it so I put a 351w in it from a mustang. It was a great truck. I guess technically my 1st truck was a 79 scout but it's not really a truck.

Cool. Mine has the 351M. I never did upsize the tires. Got a pic?

Saw a red 1980 yesterday, though it definitely had been repainted.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:19 AM   #54
I wanna be Dave

I wish I did! Back in those days I didn't even own a camera! I think I got my first camera which was digital in like 2003.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:46 AM   #55
Slow is the new Fast

Good photos were precious back in those days. I always opened that package of fresh prints with my fingers crossed.

A couple of other developments...

Fenders!

Thanks to RC Addicts for producing these

Outfitting the grill with LED's.

Thanks Rich for the part#'s. The string is perfectly tidy. My home jobs are definitely not.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:59 AM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Looks excellent! The grill turned out fantastic!

Old 05-02-2018, 01:09 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

NICE!!!
and since we are motivating each other's face holes (lol) i need to get some LEDs!
those RC Addict fenders are a good idea too... hmmmm...
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:31 PM   #58
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
NICE!!!
and since we are motivating each other's face holes (lol) i need to get some LEDs!
those RC Addict fenders are a good idea too... hmmmm...
The fenders are actually designed for the K10. The fit almost perfectly but are a bit long towards the middle of the truck(they reach below the body) so I will likely trim them at some point.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:07 PM   #59
Slow is the new Fast

Well, broke out the shoo goo today. I have been putting this off awhile as I am a bit nervous about how this is gonna play out. Initially I hoped to attach the grill with hardware, but decided I didn't want a bunch of screw heads on the truck exterior. Shoo Goo is amazing stuff for this hobby, so I have decided to humble myself before the Shoo Goo gods
Old 05-10-2018, 01:50 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well, broke out the shoo goo today. I have been putting this off awhile as I am a bit nervous about how this is gonna play out. Initially I hoped to attach the grill with hardware, but decided I didn't want a bunch of screw heads on the truck exterior. Shoo Goo is amazing stuff for this hobby, so I have decided to humble myself before the Shoo Goo gods
You did a fantastic job. It's turning out great. I have been lazy using hot glue which if you get the right one works amazing.

80's Ford Ascender - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford Atlas Ascender 2mtech Vaterra Ascender 11 12-04-2016 06:48 AM
80's Style FORD Crew Cab Step Side ***Pic Heavy*** v84x4 1.9 Scale Rigs 60 01-25-2015 09:46 PM
80's to 90's Toyota 4x4 vs 80's to 90's Jeep Cherokee 4x4 - which one to buy????????? entropy Chit Chat 12 06-24-2011 01:14 AM