Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: 80's Ford Ascender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2018, 02:11 PM   #61
Slow is the new Fast

Default Re: 80's Ford Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
You did a fantastic job. It's turning out great. I have been lazy using hot glue which if you get the right one works amazing.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Thanks for saying so. It’s been fun. The go-for-it attitude in your thread has been helpful when it comes time to get choppin’ and glueing mgputer.

Is the hot glue yo are using flexible? I use hot glue in some of my diorama work for the slot car track, but it dries hard and I imagine wouldn’t work so well attached to the flexible bodies of RC.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2018, 02:14 PM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Thanks for saying so. It’s been fun. The go-for-it attitude in your thread has been helpful when it comes time to get choppin’ and glueing mgputer.

Is the hot glue yo are using flexible? I use hot glue in some of my diorama work for the slot car track, but it dries hard and I imagine wouldn’t work so well attached to the flexible bodies of RC.
The kind I have is flexible. It is a multi-temp kind that works for both high temp and low temp guns. I think I picked it up at Walmart.

mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:58 PM   #63
Slow is the new Fast

Looking forward to getting back behind the wheel of this rig!

Old 05-14-2018, 10:45 PM   #64
Slow is the new Fast

The RCAddicts fenders I have mounted on the Ascender wereactually made to fit the K5 body. Figuring this JConepts body was comparable in width I decided to give them a go. They fit great in width, but turned out to be a bit tall for the F150 body. Thought of cutting them, but decided to use a heat gun and just reshape them instead.

The fenders also ended up interfering with my grill once I got it mounted in so I reshaped the fender some more. Now they look like ocean waves I am pleased with how it worked out though because I am not a fan of seeing electronics when I look in the wheel wells...and I have fender liners!

Let there be light(s)!

Old 05-14-2018, 10:54 PM   #65
Slow is the new Fast

...and I decided to remove the stock sliders. They looked like crap sitting so far below the body. May remount some later and tuck them up to the cab as they should be

Old 05-15-2018, 05:15 AM   #66
I wanna be Dave

It looks amazing! You definitely have some skills! What did you use for the rust? I have thought about trying a rusty rig.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:15 AM   #67
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
It looks amazing! You definitely have some skills! What did you use for the rust? I have thought about trying a rusty rig.

Thanks mg. I am pretty happy with how things have turned out so far. I use a product made by Sophisticated Finishes. It is a 2-part solution for creating rust effects. There is an iron solution and a rust developer.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:42 AM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Your truck is really starting to take shape, very nice build! I use the same product for my aging job.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks mg. I am pretty happy with how things have turned out so far. I use a product made by Sophisticated Finishes. It is a 2-part solution for creating rust effects. There is an iron solution and a rust developer.
Thanks for the info. I tried one I don't remember the name but it got wet on a trail run from some dew in the grass and started to run and smear. I then coated it with flat clear but it looked kinda wonky. I will give it a try

Old 05-15-2018, 09:51 AM   #70
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Your truck is really starting to take shape, very nice build! I use the same product for my aging job.
Ernie
Thanks Ernie.

The SF is a nice product that seems to get more effective as one gets more practice with it. I have been really enjoying learning the art of ‘weathering ‘ lexan and styrene. May have to give some wheels a go.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:54 AM   #71
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks Ernie.

The SF is a nice product that seems to get more effective as one gets more practice with it. I have been really enjoying learning the art of ‘weathering ‘ lexan and styrene. May have to give some wheels a go.
That's my next project. I did one many moons ago and I think I'm ready to try it again. The bodies get beat up so fast you might as well make it look old from the start so the scratches fit right in with the theme

Old 05-15-2018, 10:14 AM   #72

Excellent work painting that driver!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:17 AM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
...and I decided to remove the stock sliders. They looked like crap sitting so far below the body. May remount some later and tuck them up to the cab as they should be
That looks hot! Reminds me of old mud trucks running around back in high school, wheels n tires go together with it. Make some sliders, Codyboy, or Wertymade? Can use a lighter or heat gun and bend the stock sliders up temporarily like I did on my K10 before I got some from Ernie.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:37 AM   #74
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
That's my next project. I did one many moons ago and I think I'm ready to try it again. The bodies get beat up so fast you might as well make it look old from the start so the scratches fit right in with the theme

I agree completely. I always find it looks odd when there is pristine paint under the body and a bunch of translucent scuffs on the outside. Now I just paint my bodies on the outside. I guess I am just particular when it comes to that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Excellent work painting that driver!
Thanks Jato!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
That looks hot! Reminds me of old mud trucks running around back in high school, wheels n tires go together with it. Make some sliders, Codyboy, or Wertymade? Can use a lighter or heat gun and bend the stock sliders up temporarily like I did on my K10 before I got some from Ernie.
Total mudder! It looks like something that would be in a high school mechanic-shop class way-back-when.

I was going crazy with the heat gun yesterday, but never though to bend the stock sliders. Food for thought...
Old 05-15-2018, 11:03 AM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I always find it looks odd when there is pristine paint under the body and a bunch of translucent scuffs on the outside. Now I just paint my bodies on the outside.

Total mudder! It looks like something that would be in a high school mechanic-shop class way-back-when.

I was going crazy with the heat gun yesterday, but never though to bend the stock sliders. Food for thought...
Yes, agreed.

Yes, nailed it!

Here's what I did, really helps to have another person so that both pieces are heated at same time and then bent and held to cool.
Starts at post #743.
Natedog's Vaterra ASCENDER
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In camp K10 slider mod with a couple lighters, because the bottom of this cab and bed are at least 1/2" higher than the Blazer.

Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:51 PM   #76
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Yes, agreed.

Yes, nailed it!

Here's what I did, really helps to have another person so that both pieces are heated at same time and then bent and held to cool.
Starts at post #743.
Natedog's Vaterra ASCENDER
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In camp K10 slider mod with a couple lighters, because the bottom of this cab and bed are at least 1/2" higher than the Blazer.

Hey, that worked great! Thanks for sharing that.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:36 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

ohhhh man... i need to get with it! i need LIGHTS!
yours is coming along awesome. keep it up!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:35 AM   #78
Slow is the new Fast

Took the Ascender into the back yard the other night to test the headlights out. They seem to cast a decent spread, but man is it ever hard to hit technical lines in the dark With the light out front of the rig I couldn't see my tires well enough to pick my lines accurately.

Here is a short video of the test run my son and I quickly put together. Complete with intro...

Last edited by smog; 05-30-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:58 AM   #79
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Took the Ascender into the back yard the other night to test the headlights out. They seem to cast a decent spread, but man is it ever hard to hit technical lines in the dark With the light out front of the rig I couldn't see my tires well enough to pick my lines accurately.

Here is a short video of the test run my son and I quickly put together. Complete with intro...

Your truck is looking good Bud, sounds like you need a headlamp. It would help you see the lines better.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:29 AM   #80
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Your truck is looking good Bud, sounds like you need a headlamp. It would help you see the lines better.
Ernie
Thank you.

Sound advice. I have been saying to myself I need a good quality headlamp for awhile. This gives me another bump.

I also need better foams for those tires. They are way too firm.

80's Ford Ascender - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford Atlas Ascender 2mtech Vaterra Ascender 11 12-04-2016 06:48 AM
80's Style FORD Crew Cab Step Side ***Pic Heavy*** v84x4 1.9 Scale Rigs 60 01-25-2015 09:46 PM
80's to 90's Toyota 4x4 vs 80's to 90's Jeep Cherokee 4x4 - which one to buy????????? entropy Chit Chat 12 06-24-2011 01:14 AM