Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: 80's Ford Ascender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2019, 10:06 AM   #161
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 80's Ford Ascender

OK, nicely done! Looks like Pro-Line discontinued that body? Frustrating finding a good body sometimes. Did you print the grill or styrene build? Just remembered that somebody here made the entire bench seat out of two pieces of closed cell foam (like laptop/pc packing material) and covered with fabric, probably lighter weight than styrene seat.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2019, 09:40 AM   #162
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Ha! It's TRUE! I thought it looked odd. Making more, honing ....soon to be reversing one

Havent seen any pics of your bench lately mg

Sorry to pick, I just had several 80 series Ford's and I remember you had to grab the handle with your left hand. OCD?

Looks great otherwise.

I have been building a lot yet but I haven't been posting most of them. The forums have been slow lately so I haven't been bothering. I'm working on an international coe 6x6, my son's bomber, my cragsman. Oh and I made a new chassis for"Sprong" with leafs front and rear. Will be dropping the bed etc. Oh and a trx4 UMG10.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:17 AM   #163
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
OK, nicely done! Looks like Pro-Line discontinued that body? Frustrating finding a good body sometimes. Did you print the grill or styrene build? Just remembered that somebody here made the entire bench seat out of two pieces of closed cell foam (like laptop/pc packing material) and covered with fabric, probably lighter weight than styrene seat.
It’s a JConcepts body. The grill is a modification of the Blackfoot grill. It’s cut, trimmed and wrapped around a 3D printed piece that is a wider grill mesh. I used styrene to fill in the spaces. I like the foam idea, might have to play around with that in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
Sorry to pick, I just had several 80 series Ford's and I remember you had to grab the handle with your left hand. OCD?

Looks great otherwise.

I have been building a lot yet but I haven't been posting most of them. The forums have been slow lately so I haven't been bothering. I'm working on an international coe 6x6, my son's bomber, my cragsman. Oh and I made a new chassis for"Sprong" with leafs front and rear. Will be dropping the bed etc. Oh and a trx4 UMG10.

I had a 1980 F150 back in the early 90’s. I should have known better, i and I though something seemed off but I figured it was just late and it was likely my tired eyes

You are busier than ever! Awesome, I always enjoy your projects.

I am about to start a TRX4 Sport build. Have started on the body while I collect pieces for it. Sadly it looks like the Ascender is quickly becoming a forgotten platform. Wouldn’t be surprised to see it vanish in fairly short order. I am really impressed with the details in this Traxxas kit. I was checking out the UMG10 in my LHS yesterday. It’s top shelf!

It takes time to post everything up. I hear ya. I don’t post much, with the low volume of interest in it hardly makes it seem worthwhile. This thread is more like a journal for this truck than any sort of useful tool.

Anyway, feel free to throw out ideas and share observations. I appreciate the feedback.

Last edited by smog; 10-05-2019 at 10:23 AM.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:02 PM   #164
I wanna be Dave

JConcepts makes some nice bodies, wish they'd expand their crawler bodies for 12.3"WB.

OK, great use of Blackfoot grill, Itali83 has made a few nice styrene scratch grills for his GMC Ascenders.

I always enjoy your posts, great work as usual!
Old 10-08-2019, 08:11 AM   #165
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
JConcepts makes some nice bodies, wish they'd expand their crawler bodies for 12.3"WB.

OK, great use of Blackfoot grill, Itali83 has made a few nice styrene scratch grills for his GMC Ascenders.

I always enjoy your posts, great work as usual!
Hey Nate! Thanks for the post. I like what I have seen of the JConcepts crawler bodies as well. Agreed, not enough of them and they could use a moulded plastic grill from the factory. That said, there is something rewarding about doing it ‘old school’ and using styrene.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:01 PM   #166
Slow is the new Fast

First snow of the year. Had to at least play for a bit. Had the wrong tires on unfortunately. Should have taken the time to change them.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:46 AM   #167
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
First snow of the year. Had to at least play for a bit. Had the wrong tires on unfortunately. Should have taken the time to change them.

Awesome vids. No snow here yet but they are talking about it tomorrow. I'll have to get some Gen 8 6x6 snow video.

Edit: Your property there is just gorgeous. I'd love to be that close to the water.

Old 10-11-2019, 06:55 AM   #168
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Awesome vids. No snow here yet but they are talking about it tomorrow. I'll have to get some Gen 8 6x6 snow video.

Edit: Your property there is just gorgeous. I'd love to be that close to the water.

We are getting hammered with wind and snow right now. That video was shot before the snow really hit hard. Now we've got trees down and at least another 5 in of snow on the ground. I think it supposed to continue all day today and night. The snow is so sticky it's just stuck to everything.

Thanks mg, I'm not a big fan of living in the city so being on the river is my consolation prize. It saves me from having immediate Neighbors...lol.

I will keep my eyes peeled for you 6x6 footage. I didn't realize Redcat made one.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:28 AM   #169
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
We are getting hammered with wind and snow right now. That video was shot before the snow really hit hard. Now we've got trees down and at least another 5 in of snow on the ground. I think it supposed to continue all day today and night. The snow is so sticky it's just stuck to everything.

Thanks mg, I'm not a big fan of living in the city so being on the river is my consolation prize. It saves me from having immediate Neighbors...lol.

I will keep my eyes peeled for you 6x6 footage. I didn't realize Redcat made one.
I just posted it yesterday in the redcat forum. Nothing fancy just playing in the back yard.

Old 10-11-2019, 04:43 PM   #170
I wanna be Dave

Love the scenery, nice to just sit and watch the snow come down sometimes! Nice little turk/kitty hole in the fence, need a set of Clodbuster big ol floaty chevron tires! Deck ramp is priceless too! BTW, it's winter and your brake rotor/calipers are screaming for some scale detail paint.

Last edited by Natedog; 10-11-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:03 PM   #171
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Love the scenery, nice to just sit and watch the snow come down sometimes! Nice little turk/kitty hole in the fence, need a set of Clodbuster big ol floaty chevron tires! Deck ramp is priceless too! BTW, it's winter and your brake rotor/calipers are screaming for some scale detail paint.
The deck ramp symbolizes my commitment to RC. My willingness to cut a hole in the floor of my deck in name of fun My youngest kid tells me I am crazy

One of my favorite parts of RC is that it slows me down when I am walking in beautiful places.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:45 AM   #172
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The deck ramp symbolizes my commitment to RC. My willingness to cut a hole in the floor of my deck in name of fun My youngest kid tells me I am crazy

One of my favorite parts of RC is that it slows me down when I am walking in beautiful places.
I completely agree with you. What's funny is that I see things I never would just walking through. Going with the truck you really notice and enjoy the beauty of nature.

Old 10-12-2019, 12:09 PM   #173
Slow is the new Fast

Well, snow is finally tapering off. Crawler course will need to be dug out to speed up some melt

Old 10-12-2019, 12:55 PM   #174
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Well, snow is finally tapering off. Crawler course will need to be dug out to speed up some melt
I'm now depressed by seeing your pic!

It just reminded me of what I'm going to have to deal with very soon!

Um, I think it is too early for snow! Hopefully you see warmer temps and it melts away!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:41 PM   #175
I wanna be Dave

Wow it's been snowing all day here but it's melting. Time for a kyosho blizzard?

Old 10-12-2019, 01:41 PM   #176
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
I'm now depressed by seeing your pic!

It just reminded me of what I'm going to have to deal with very soon!

Um, I think it is too early for snow! Hopefully you see warmer temps and it melts away!
it should melt away in the next few days. It’s even too early for snow up here.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:45 PM   #177
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Wow it's been snowing all day here but it's melting. Time for a kyosho blizzard?

It’s melting now, there is enough snow that it might take a couple of days to disappear. Plan is to pick up some trax for my TRX4 build to play in the snow
Old 10-12-2019, 01:46 PM   #178
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
It’s melting now, there is enough snow that it might take a couple of days to disappear. Plan is to pick up some trax for my TRX4 build to play in the snow
Oh yeah I ordered a set for mine too.

Old 10-12-2019, 04:57 PM   #179
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Oh yeah I ordered a set for mine too.

Sometimes you gotta grab winter by the snowballs!

Threw on the KM3 Proline tires and went for post storm/meltdown run.

Old 10-13-2019, 11:57 AM   #180
I wanna be Dave

Ya the deck is commitment, I would’ve loved that if dad built a course and cut the deck for a ramp! Always enjoyable walking in nature.

80's Ford Ascender - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford Atlas Ascender 2mtech Vaterra Ascender 11 12-04-2016 06:48 AM
80's Style FORD Crew Cab Step Side ***Pic Heavy*** v84x4 1.9 Scale Rigs 60 01-25-2015 09:46 PM
80's to 90's Toyota 4x4 vs 80's to 90's Jeep Cherokee 4x4 - which one to buy????????? entropy Chit Chat 12 06-24-2011 01:14 AM