Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: 80's Ford Ascender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2019, 05:02 PM   #121
Slow is the new Fast

Default Re: 80's Ford Ascender

got a new tripod and so have been getting crazy with the vids these days. There was a light snowfall this eve so I took the F150 out for a quick run

smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2019, 06:54 PM   #122
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
got a new tripod and so have been getting crazy with the vids these days. There was a light snowfall this eve so I took the F150 out for a quick run

Nice little video. A small tripod is very handy for making fun little scale videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:53 PM   #123
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
A small tripod is very handy for making fun little scale videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s too much work to bother with if you don’t use one,honestly.

Last edited by smog; 01-23-2019 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:27 PM   #124
Slow is the new Fast

Switched out my tires/wheels today. Got hit with a scale snowfall, figured I would take the opportunity to test out some fresh meats.

The relatively open tread on the Goodyear MTR struck me as potential improvement over the more AT design on the Mad Beast. Out on the track there is no doubt the MTR's dug in harder, alas I failed to climb both the hill and the wood-stack.

One very notable difference between the tires was that the Mad Beasts did not freeze stiff and remained relatively soft out in the fluffy stuff. The stock foams appeared to stay as soft and flexible as when warm. The same cannot be said for the Goodyear from RC4WD. They froze hard. Both the tires and the stock foams.

The New wheels are a cheap set of cheelies I did a rust-job on using Hydrogen Peroxide, Vinegar and salt.

Because I am going bananas with the videos these days, here is another. This video is shows a complete once-around of the backyard circuit. It is still evolving...

I get into some of the deeper snow and hit my failed climbs starting around the 4min mark.

Last edited by smog; 01-26-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:07 PM   #125
I wanna be Dave

I don't know exactly what it is but I really like the way this truck looks. Looks like it does pretty good in the snow.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:42 PM   #126

Great looking truck, love the patina look. What knuckles are you using if you don't mind me asking?
Crash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:20 PM   #127
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
I don't know exactly what it is but I really like the way this truck looks. Looks like it does pretty good in the snow.

It’s the no frills scale charm

But seriously, thanks for the appreciation. I am really enying the winter driving. Stayed out long enough to freeze my fingertips today. They were pretty painful as they thawed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash13 View Post
Great looking truck, love the patina look. What knuckles are you using if you don't mind me asking?
Thank you.

I don’t mind whatsoever. They are the Vaterra aluminum knuckles, chubs and brass rotor/caliper weights.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:22 PM   #128
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
It’s the no frills scale charm

But seriously, thanks for the appreciation. I am really enying the winter driving. Stayed out long enough to freeze my fingertips today. They were pretty painful as they thawed

Thank you.

I don’t mind whatsoever. They are the Vaterra aluminum knuckles, chubs and brass rotor/caliper weights.
I managed 45 minutes today. Was -21f outside so I was a little cold.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:48 PM   #129
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
I managed 45 minutes today. Was -21f outside so I was a little cold.

Where in Wisconsin is your area? I imagine your cold air coming from the North West? Last time I was in Wisconsin I was a kid. We ripped over the state line driving from Minneapolis to go buy beer or whiskey. Can’t remember why, but shops in MN were closed, but they weren’t in WI. As soon as we realized it was a relatively quick drive we were off...

Its pretty brutal on the hands out here too but fun to get out for short runs. Someone needs to develop a heated unimitten that fits around the transmitter and has an opening for each hand. Could be brilliant.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:20 AM   #130
I wanna be Dave

Loving the look of your rig as well smog! Just looks legit! I'm diggin the snow crawling as well. Surprisingly, I've been doing most of it with the 1/18 Gelande. It's been so easy and fun to just stomp a trail/course in with my foot and run it. Easy to add and change it as well. Of course, good'ole Mother Nature has been taking care of that for me with all the snow we've been getting. My trails just disappear overnight - LMAO!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:13 PM   #131
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Where in Wisconsin is your area? I imagine your cold air coming from the North West? Last time I was in Wisconsin I was a kid. We ripped over the state line driving from Minneapolis to go buy beer or whiskey. Can’t remember why, but shops in MN were closed, but they weren’t in WI. As soon as we realized it was a relatively quick drive we were off...

Its pretty brutal on the hands out here too but fun to get out for short runs. Someone needs to develop a heated unimitten that fits around the transmitter and has an opening for each hand. Could be brilliant.
Right, that would be great. You can live with a glove on the steering hand so that would be perfect. I would think it would be fairly easy to make.

I'm from Merrill which is north central area.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:36 PM   #132
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Loving the look of your rig as well smog! Just looks legit! I'm diggin the snow crawling as well. Surprisingly, I've been doing most of it with the 1/18 Gelande. It's been so easy and fun to just stomp a trail/course in with my foot and run it. Easy to add and change it as well. Of course, good'ole Mother Nature has been taking care of that for me with all the snow we've been getting. My trails just disappear overnight - LMAO!
Thanks mewalsh!

We are getting hit with cold temps and colder winds these days as well. Tonight’s light snowstorm trail might leave our trail too deep and drifted in for a successful pass. Will have to give it a go.
Quote:
Right, that would be great. You can live with a glove on the steering hand so that would be perfect. I would think it would be fairly easy to make.

I'm from Merrill which is north central area.

They would definitely sell, but it’s hard to imagine selling a lot

Have never been in northern Wisconsin but imagine it being a mix of Precambrian shield and farmland
Old 01-28-2019, 05:38 AM   #133
I wanna be Dave

We got hit with some more last night. Our temps are supposed to dip to a low of -3 degrees F midweek - without windchill. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I think I'll stick to rig maintenance most of this week!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:10 PM   #134
Slow is the new Fast

Man, I love this truck! Haven't made any changes on it lately. Pretty much Stoked on it since I put the HW1080 in it. Next move will likely be some weight at the rear hubs and a new motor.

Nice winter day out there so I made another snow video. As fellow member hobbyjumper pointed out, I don't really expect many if anyone will actually watch it but here it is anyway. This thread is like a journal for this rig so it must be posted!

I find these videos endlessly entertaining for some odd reason especially in 1080p

Another Added. For those who like to see something different. 5th time proved to be the charm on this one...

Last edited by smog; 02-20-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:16 PM   #135
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Man, I love this truck! Haven't made any changes on it lately. Pretty much Stoked on it since I put the HW1080 in it. Next move will likely be some weight at the rear hubs and a new motor.

Nice winter day out there so I made another snow video. As fellow member hobbyjumper pointed out, I don't really expect many if anyone will actually watch it but here it is anyway. This thread is like a journal for this rig so it must be posted!

I find these videos endlessly entertaining for some odd reason especially in 1080p

Great Vid. I like to watch them while I am tinkering on my trucks. I would rather watch that than TV anyway, well unless its on the history channel. Are those the 4.19 tall Good Years?

Last edited by mgputer; 02-20-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:24 PM   #136
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Great Vid. I like to watch them while I am tinkering on my trucks. I would rather watch that than TV anyway, well unless its on the history channel. Are those the 4.19 tall Good Years?
Those are the 4.75 MTR's . I took out some 4.19 Hyrax tires and actually noticed the difference in clearance. Its amazing how much of a difference a half inch in overall diameter(i.e. 1/4 inch clearance) makes out in the snow. Tall and Skinnies FTW!

I hear ya. I watch RC videos while I wrench and such.

I added another short video above.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:31 PM   #137
I wanna be Dave

I figured they would look bigger on there. I have a set on my gen8 and they almost look to big but looks great on yours. Maybe it's because I have been working with little tires lately lol

Old 02-20-2019, 06:25 PM   #138
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
I figured they would look bigger on there. I have a set on my gen8 and they almost look to big but looks great on yours. Maybe it's because I have been working with little tires lately lol

It would be nice to have more size options on tires. Well, truth is I would love a narrower set of both Rock Beasts and Hyrax in the taller OD. As it is you get either short and narrow or tall and wide.

The Ford body is quite wide and the 4.75's tuck in nicely with their more moderate width.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:52 AM   #139
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
It would be nice to have more size options on tires. Well, truth is I would love a narrower set of both Rock Beasts and Hyrax in the taller OD. As it is you get either short and narrow or tall and wide.

The Ford body is quite wide and the 4.75's tuck in nicely with their more moderate width.
Amen to that.
I have the deep dish rc4wd rims on scx10II and they actually stick out past the fender wells half the tread width of my 4.75 growlers. But I also throw my stock Falken Mtr's on for the tall skinny look.
lonleycreeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:52 PM   #140
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Amen to that.
I have the deep dish rc4wd rims on scx10II and they actually stick out past the fender wells half the tread width of my 4.75 growlers. But I also throw my stock Falken Mtr's on for the tall skinny look.
I like the Falken MTR’s. Axial makes some nice sized tires

80's Ford Ascender - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford Atlas Ascender 2mtech Vaterra Ascender 11 12-04-2016 06:48 AM
80's Style FORD Crew Cab Step Side ***Pic Heavy*** v84x4 1.9 Scale Rigs 60 01-25-2015 09:46 PM
80's to 90's Toyota 4x4 vs 80's to 90's Jeep Cherokee 4x4 - which one to buy????????? entropy Chit Chat 12 06-24-2011 01:14 AM