Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Dabbler's Vaterra Ascender K10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2017, 06:23 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Dabbler's Vaterra Ascender K10

Inspired by Horizon Hobby's "Scale & Save" deal, for November 2017, I decided to finally spring for an RTR K10 Ascender, as I wanted a running truck to bring to a local scale event this weekend. All my current trucks are either in need of repair, or not yet built, and with a newborn baby to care for, I have no time for it.
Consequently, this will be the second RC I've ever bought from my LHS, the first of which was a Vaterra Kalahari 1/14 Desert Truck. Perhaps I'll make it a tradition, and only buy Vaterra models there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Last edited by johnnyluv; 11-02-2017 at 10:38 PM.
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2017, 06:24 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Dabbler's Vaterra Ascender K10

Congrats, that's an awesome truck.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:26 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

NICE!!!

welcome to ascenderholism ;)
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:27 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Congrats man! Keep us updated with where you take and what you do with the truck! User CODYBOY has an awesome thread on what he's done with his K10.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ascender'nMN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:50 PM   #5

You will love the truck they go hard and rarely break!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ascenderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:11 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Well, the box does say "Scale comp ready!"

I bought the Blazer when it first came out - wish I had waited, the K10 is such a good looking truck.

Enjoy!! (and congrats on the newborn!)
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:05 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Always had a thing for that truck. Congrats on the purchase. And howdy from Whidbey.
Pushjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:58 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Yes, congratulations on your truck and baby! Families require lots of work but it’s worthwhile, you drive well and we’ll expect a few pictures of this weekend.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:14 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I am so envy now. Ya, Congratulations
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:30 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Congrats, that's an awesome truck.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
NICE!!!

welcome to ascenderholism ;)
Aghhh...hope not. I don’t struggle with addictions in general, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascender'nMN84 View Post
Congrats man! Keep us updated with where you take and what you do with the truck! User CODYBOY has an awesome thread on what he's done with his K10.

Thanks! I’ll try and keep this thread updated as time and interest allows. I’ve read about some useful mods from CODYBOY, as well as many others. I’m not a huge modder, but hopefully when we get through this real involved infancy stage, I’ll have some energy to play around with setups and configs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascenderbender View Post
You will love the truck they go hard and rarely break!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hope so! I’m not super hard on my rigs, anyway, and never run high voltage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Well, the box does say "Scale comp ready!"

I bought the Blazer when it first came out - wish I had waited, the K10 is such a good looking truck.

Enjoy!! (and congrats on the newborn!)
I’ve never comp’d, but wanted to check out a local club, and see what they’re like. I at least wanted to have an operable rig to run around. Yep, I’ve waited a long time to just get an Ascender. I wasn’t sure I ever would, but I’m familiar with Vaterra quality, since my first hobby grade car was from them, so I guess it was just a matter of time.
I’ve grown to like shorter wheelbase trucks, too, which is one of the reasons I was drawn to the K10. However, I’ll always choose a longliner for the steep mountain trails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushjerk View Post
Always had a thing for that truck. Congrats on the purchase. And howdy from Whidbey.
Yeah, me, too, ever since it came out. Whidbey?! Cool! I’m just down the road a few double digit miles. ;P Nice that you get to be close to Erie & Cap Sante. I’ve done Cap Sante, but have yet to trail up Erie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Yes, congratulations on your truck and baby! Families require lots of work but it’s worthwhile, you drive well and we’ll expect a few pictures of this weekend.
Thanks, bud. Indeed, they do, as this is kid #3. I doubt I’ll actually compete, since I don’t know the rules, but I’ll certainly get pics. I’m going to bring my second oldest, who’s 5 yrs old. She says she thinks my trucks are cool, so maybe she’ll get interested as she gets older. I’m building her a Slash 2wd for Christmas, so she can wheel around with me, down at the local park, when I run my on-road RC’s. Who knows, maybe someday she’ll go trailing in the mountains with me, when she’s a little bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
I am so envy now. Ya, Congratulations
I’ve been there! Thanks, man.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:03 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluv View Post
Yeah, me, too, ever since it came out. Whidbey?! Cool! I’m just down the road a few double digit miles. ;P Nice that you get to be close to Erie & Cap Sante. I’ve done Cap Sante, but have yet to trail up Erie.

Trailing up Erie is the way to go! it's some super trail, and makes the rocks at the top just that much tastier.
Pushjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:05 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Great choice on the purchase, mine is making me very happy! It's built extremely well, I haven't touched a thing after about 10 solid hours of dusty limestone hillclimbing... Many tumbles down the rocky slopes and only scratches.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:38 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Couple free mods are tucking that front bumper and out boarding the rear shocks.

Welcome to the Ascender group. My K10 is probably the truck I drive the most.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
OldNTired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:23 AM   #14

Your beard is much fuller in your avatar. And why did you shave off your long, grey locks?

I love my Ascender. The K10 is nice. I should get one of those to go along with my Blazer.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:34 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Your beard is much fuller in your avatar. And why did you shave off your long, grey locks?

I love my Ascender. The K10 is nice. I should get one of those to go along with my Blazer.
Yeah.... you probably should!!
Old 11-03-2017, 03:29 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushjerk View Post
Trailing up Erie is the way to go! it's some super trail, and makes the rocks at the top just that much tastier.
I first learned about it from watching a couple of Squirrelod videos, back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Great choice on the purchase, mine is making me very happy! It's built extremely well, I haven't touched a thing after about 10 solid hours of dusty limestone hillclimbing... Many tumbles down the rocky slopes and only scratches.
Thanks. That's a good report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNTired View Post
Couple free mods are tucking that front bumper and out boarding the rear shocks.

Welcome to the Ascender group. My K10 is probably the truck I drive the most.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

Haha! That avatar is from a pic I took of a coin-operated fortune teller machine, in a curio shop out at Long Beach, WA.
I'm liking it, so far, but it's also my first Ascender.

Well, I have to say, I like the way this rig feels in the hand. It's got good heft, yet not too heavy, nor too light. The Vaterra Super Swampers are listed as 4.5" OD, but I measure them at 4.6", which makes them about the same size as the Axial Maxxis Trepadors, and they're even a little wider than the Treps. I like that! I'm planning on boiling them off the plastic rims, so I can mount them on beadlocks. Compared to the Trepadors, I think the Swamper tread pattern looks better with this style truck.

Let's see, I'm diggin' the red receiver/fuel box! Looks and feels more solid than the stock Axial receiver boxes, and more like a Traxxas-quality plastic.

First upgrade will be SSD WB2 rock sliders. Don't like that big gap between the edge of the body and the frame.

I thought I'd share this post I made, over a year ago, where I had planned on getting this K10, and the plans I had for it. The prophecy shall be fulfilled! Haha!
New Ascender Version Coming?
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluv View Post
I was planning to build up an Axial Dingo, using an SCX10 Deadbolt pre-roller chassis and Dingo body kit, however I am now thinking it would be cool to get this Vaterra RTR K10 and put the Dingo body on it, since it will be the same wheelbase. Problem is, I've already purchased the SCX10 chassis and a plethora of upgrades & add-ons. The Ascender seems like it would be a much better looking & performing chassis for a Dingo, with its smaller axle pumpkins.
Sure enough, I mocked up my Dingo body, and it looks great, especially with the front end CMS and panhard bar! The Axial Mighty FC body will mount up pretty well, too, and I have one that hasn't had any holes reamed, or been painted yet. Instead of messing with the SCX10, I'm going to devote this chassis to my 11.4" bodies.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:46 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I have the SSD sliders. They work great. Only complaint is a half inch gap between the stock body and sliders.

Old 11-03-2017, 04:52 PM   #18

why wait to take your kid out for some crawling? my son is 4 and has his own scx10. we go trailing and crawling all the time. also mt. erie is an awesome spot, check it soon! from the picture it looks like you shop at everett hobbytown. congrats on the new truck.
Triggerforge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:06 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Check out the rc4wd sliders, they look great and add really good protection.
There are amazon links in the video description. I have put them on my bronco and my fathers k10. Highly recommended.

https://youtu.be/nxkm46JbfQs

ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:59 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

I'll x2 the RC4WD sliders over SSD. I own both and my SSD WB4 sliders are in my parts bin. I had really high hopes for them but could never convince myself I loved them.

Ascender'nMN84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Dabbler's Vaterra Ascender K10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Vaterra K10 build... Apx2Apx Vaterra Ascender 9 06-14-2018 06:25 AM
My newest Ascender; K10 sdwk Vaterra Ascender 7 04-08-2017 01:10 PM
Vaterra Ascender k10 servo Crawlguy4wd Electronics 10 03-28-2017 10:00 PM
Vaterra K10 or SCX10II? Genghis Ken Newbie General 32 11-20-2016 11:17 PM