Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Anyone tried the TRX4 GTS shocks yet ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2017, 09:20 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Anyone tried the TRX4 GTS shocks yet ?

Has anyone tried the TRX4 GTS shocks on their Ascender yet ?

Reason I ask is that I first got the TRX4 back in June and have been very impressed with the shocks on it. I've ran it quite a bit and have yet to see any oil leaking out of them. I think with a lighter oil in them they would perform pretty good on the Ascender. Maybe a 20w since they would not have to compensate for the heavy Defender body ? I have thought about swapping the shocks over and trying them, but now that the cold weather is upon us I think the cold oil will not really show any major results over the stock Ascender shocks right now.

90mm length and 25mm travel.

I read a couple threads over in the scx10-2 section and fellas are very impressed with them.

Mainly just asking out of curiosity, thoughts anyone ?
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2017, 12:30 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Anyone tried the TRX4 GTS shocks yet ?

I absolutely love those shocks on my TRX4. I don't love spending $90 for another set of them. I think that's what has been the limiting factor why a lot of people aren't running them on other rigs. If they were in the $40-$60 range for a set I think you'd see them on everything. They're super nice shocks and I've been blown away by their performance.
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:54 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I replaced my GTS shocks on my TRX4 with some 80mm big bore.
So thought I would try them on my K10, and I love them.

CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:53 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Default Anyone tried the TRX4 GTS shocks yet ?

The trx-4 shocks work great on my scx10.2 truggy! I know you said “Ascender” but I think they do work well on many platforms.
CR4NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
That's beautiful!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:53 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the replies, from a few threads in the Scx10 section peeps seem to have good things to say about them. I'll eventually be grabbing a set, I think they will eventually be the "go to" scale version of the big bores ?

Some time this month (worst case in January) I hope to grab the new F-100 and I'll grab a set of TRX4 shocks for it.

I already drilled out the pistons with a #55 bit on the factory shocks on the Bronco added 6mm of nitro fuel line to limit them and refilled with Associated 30wt oil and kept the bump stops at the spring cups. I've only been out 1 time since then and it was 30 degrees out so I really did not see a huge difference (I'm sure the oil was as thick as syrup). In the house climbing on stuff in the basement I can tell a difference...I can't wait for warm weather again.

Oh ya, since modding them they are seeping oil from cap and the lower o-ring cap. I think I cranked them down really tight, in hindsight I'm guessing I should have just tightened them a little bit beyond snug and not crank the piss out of them since they are plastic and can deform a little.

Again, Thank guys.
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:37 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Two of the best shocks available, Traxxas BigBores and the new TRX-4 shocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR4NK View Post
The trx-4 shocks work great on my scx10.2 truggy! I know you said “Ascender” but I think they do work well on many platforms.
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoJac View Post
... I think they will eventually be the "go to" scale version of the big bores ?

Oh ya, since modding them they are seeping oil from cap and the lower o-ring cap. I think I cranked them down really tight, in hindsight I'm guessing I should have just tightened them a little bit beyond snug and not crank the piss out of them since they are plastic and can deform a little.
Yes, I think they will be the new go to shocks too.

The caps should be snug, too tight and the o-rings can get ripped or squished out of place and leak at the cap. On the bottom rings you need to be very careful and gentle with them. Always removed the bottom cap (to reduce preload on the o-rings), remove lower mount from shaft, clean and lube shaft and threads, then gently push the shaft out. Failure to do it this way can tear the o-rings and they will leak after reassembly, then it's time for new rings, use the Traxxas X-rings if you replace the o-rings.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Anyone tried the TRX4 GTS shocks yet ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trx4 Tires dpcardoza Traxxas TRX-4 20 11-19-2017 08:48 AM
Ferrari 308 GTS LR3 Chit Chat 17 09-30-2010 04:21 PM