Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Wrangler TJ Locked & Loaded 1:1 (Build)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2018, 10:21 AM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Wrangler TJ Locked & Loaded 1:1 (Build)

my son's barrage is jerky too. hmm... i swear its like oprah "you get a 1080 and YOU get a 1080... EVERYONE GETS A 1080!!!!" LMAO
i'd put one in my ascender but its got a holmes ;)

and what's this about RAIN now?!?!
i mean, we need it, but 70 degrees in the winter is... nice? haha its like i said earlier we don't get a "build season" lol

speaking of build, you said you need a new project now... what's next? i'm sure we all want to know, you knocked this one out of the park!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2018, 10:51 AM   #82
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
my son's barrage is jerky too. hmm... i swear its like oprah "you get a 1080 and YOU get a 1080... EVERYONE GETS A 1080!!!!" LMAO
i'd put one in my ascender but its got a holmes ;)

and what's this about RAIN now?!?!
i mean, we need it, but 70 degrees in the winter is... nice? haha its like i said earlier we don't get a "build season" lol

speaking of build, you said you need a new project now... what's next? i'm sure we all want to know, you knocked this one out of the park!

Haha...rain isn't 'till next week now. Weather looks good for Saturday - sounds like my crawler buddy wants to drive.

I was going to get some 4.19" tires for the Wrangler and try to run it in Class1, then decided they're too small for general use, so it would be only for the comp, so then it should really have another set of wheels...and then. Crap - drop another $150 to crawl? Naw...will just go and check it all out.

I think the Jeep will run in their Class2 - basically a stock class, and they have a Class2.5 the K10 should qualify for, where the allow a few mods, like the narrowed flat-bed. So I'll go and run the two classes and see what it's all about. I can't foresee if it's something I'll really like or not - I'm not generally into anything that is too regimented, usually just like to do my own thing. So we'll see. Driving a course marked out with other crawlers should be a hoot, and my buddy likes to just go drive too, so it will be fun regardless. In a few months one of their scheduled events is just down the road a bit from us here, so this might be an opportunity to get familiar with the club.

I'm guessing I may have a different outlook on what to build or do with my rigs after the comp - I haven't been to one yet.

And thanks for the compliments - appreciated.
It's all about having fun. Likely I'll at least do another body for one of them - have always like that Proline 66 Chevy - it fits on a WB4, so I could convert my K10. Not quite ready to retire my "beer-hauler" yet.

I wouldn't mind picking up a roller and build from there. Somebody in classifieds has one, but I can get a brand new kit for not much more than what they want.

This was a fairly expensive build - all better components, sure, but I'm guessing I have at least $700 in this thing.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:18 PM   #83
RCC Addict

HobbyWing 1080 came today - installed it in the K10 RTR rig.
These things are just waycool - smooth 3s power and it rips AND crawls.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:40 AM   #84
I wanna be Dave

imagine it with a 2 speed twin hammers transmission?
Old 01-05-2018, 07:47 PM   #85
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
HobbyWing 1080 came today - installed it in the K10 RTR rig.
These things are just waycool - smooth 3s power and it rips AND crawls.
I just put one in too, the settings on it are nuts. been experimenting and playing around and the low speed control is fantastic !

post up your settings for the esc when you get it all dialed in.
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:01 PM   #86
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoJac View Post
I just put one in too, the settings on it are nuts. been experimenting and playing around and the low speed control is fantastic !

post up your settings for the esc when you get it all dialed in.
These are my settings for 3s power with 35T brushed, 16-84 drive pinion and spur - stock is 14-84. I get very good crawl and wheelspeed. My K10 is the same but 50% reverse and it has a 15 pinion - mostly runs on 2s - but I may upgrade my batteries - 3s just seems to work better. YMMV

Class2 with this club is box-stock and nothing I have qualifies, so 3s is fine in their 2.5-up classes. Class1 is scale and 4.19 max tires - I just don't have the scale detail to compete there and those smaller tires are a LOT harder to drive. A half inch in tires makes a huge difference on these rigs.

Settings:
1-2
2-1
3-4
4-3
5-4
6-1
7-8
8-1
9-7
10-2
11-5
12-1
13-4
14-1
15-1

Went to my first crawl competition today and was extremely happy with the way both rigs drove. Did very well, although I was the first one thru a couple of gates and they had to mod them after no one could get thru them. Yeah, they were tough! Had a blast though.

Here's my crawling buddy with his scx10 at a final gate - check out the drop off...

Last edited by Browneye; 01-06-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:56 PM   #87
RCC Addict

The crawler event was fantastic. About thirty to forty rigs and a real diverse cadre of drivers, from little kids to old men, all classes. Very fun and educational, everyone is very helpful. I was so surprised it was so much like riding observed trials - something I did on motorcycles about ten years ago. The courses, gates, and scoring are so similar I couldn't help think how similar, it was remarkable.

I was a little disappointed in that my virtually stock K10 Ascender went in the box-stock class as Class2 and there weren't any other rigs in the class so I was the first to run the two courses. A couple of gates were so tough I timed out and no one else could get through them, even some expert 2.5 guys that came along afterward just to check it out and test the course. Since no one could get through they had to modify them. Oh well, next time I'll do better.

Oh, and my new Wrangler I decided I didn't want to completely demolish in the rocks so I didn't run it in the comp, just drove some courses and a lot of crawling all over the rocks in the area. Had an absolute blast just doing that - we spent about 3 hours driving up and down the mountain of rocks there. They call it 'mini-Moab' since it's all slick rock and a fantastic crawler area. No wonder they have the comps there. I'll post some pics from the event below.

The 2.5 class was also so difficult in a couple of the gates that most of the drivers could not get through without rolling their rigs completely off the course, tumbling down to the bottom of the rocks. I felt sorry for a few of the kids - they simply could not drive their rigs through the course, that was a little disheartening. Even the experts were having trouble.

So although we had fun, and learned a lot, I also decided that a purpose built rig with the ultimate of what you can do for an unlimited rig with 4.75" tires is the ticket. So I need a new project and don't really want to donate either of my two trucks to do it, but a full-WB short overhang largest tire and wheel combo is what I want to build for that.

Give me some ideas please. I'm thinking of a proline 66 Chevy body with an Ascender rear flatbed from the K10 RTR and all the hotest drive train components to make it competitive. Looking for a roller chassis to build.

My K10 may end having to be the donor...we'll have to see.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:18 AM   #88
RCC Addict

Sounds like you had a good time. Any 1st time at an event is a big experience. I used to race 1/8 buggy and truggy at a local track and was good fun for a few years. I don't get any comps in my area, in fact I'm the only person I know that has a truck like mine.

As for building something to compete with either modify what you have or keep an eye out for a used truck to be a donor. I only bought my 2nd Ascender zx it had Currie axles on it. The rest was to be sold off to keep cost down. Never happened Even though both trucks are Ascenders they are pretty different to drive.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:15 AM   #89
RCC Addict

California weather is amazing...sunny and 75 that day, a light breeze, just beautiful.
Three days later a big storm rolled in off the ocean and dumped 3-6" of rain, flooding and mud slides. That area is like 50 miles from the Santa Barbara county slides.
We got about 2" of rain - cars got dirty and filled up the pool. That's about it. Lol

Keep an eye out for a roller for me.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:23 AM   #90
RCC Addict

Well if I didn't go out the the wet stuff, I would hardly get out at all. At least the weather is consistent over here. Iget out less in the summer as everywhere gets busy and just too much hassle.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:24 AM   #91
RCC Addict

My travel guy told me that - super busy around England.
Before I can't do it anymore, I want to fly in and rent a BMW GS like the one I have, tour Scotland and Ireland by bike. Trying to talk the wife into it - she's afraid of the weather. LOL My travel guy says take the train and ferry to Edinburgh, pick up your bike there.
Grandpa was born in Edinburgh, his second wife was a blue-blood from England. I have a few antiques from her estate - 1890's vintage. I was actually born in Canada, but mom was an American so I am too. Dad was from Canada.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:58 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Sounds and looks like a great time at comp, and yes always more to learn. What about going 4.19 and do a little scale addition instead ? . Oh yeah, lexan bed has lower cog than the plastic cage back, unless maybe you make it a flat bed with headache rack.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:42 PM   #93
RCC Addict

Public service announcement...
PB tires - 50% off sale 'till tomorrow - presidents50 code.

Got alien compound rock beasts in 4.75" for $56 shipped. Not sure which rig I'll use them on...but also inherited a JKL convertible body in WB4. The old proline one that's disco'd. Whoot!
Old 01-15-2018, 03:45 AM   #94
RCC Addict

Is that at pitbull directly or rpp? Thanks?

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:46 AM   #95
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
Is that at pitbull directly or rpp? Thanks?

Ben
Directly from PitbullRC.com I just jumped on the same deal this morning

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ascender'nMN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:59 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Yup i saw harleys youtube episode and he was like hey btw pitbull had a sale on tires this weekend, and if you are watching this monday it ends today.
Better late than never lol so yeah im good on tires and i got ther stuff to worry about...

Cool to hear you really getting into this stuff chris!! I dont think im ready for comps but you are diving right in! Well done sir!
Old 01-16-2018, 11:00 AM   #97
RCC Addict

I went ahead and got a set of the Braven Ironsides for Class1 on the PB sale. I'll mount them up on the Wrangler and see how it goes.

Unless I can find a roller or spring for another kit, I think I'm going to rebuild my RTR to be a Class2.5 comp rig - WB4, new body, 4.75" tires, and any other applicable upgrades.

I have also ordered another 2009 Wrangler Rubicon body to paint white to use in the Class 2.5 comps - something I don't mind rolling off a cliff. LOL My 1:1 Wrangler here is too nice to tear up, so I'll just put another body on it.

My crawler buddy gave me a new Proline Wrangler Unlimited body with the open roll cage. I can put that on a WB4, and also the Blazer body that came with the kit. So I'll have some variety. And all on WB4. I guess I'll retire my beer hauler for now - I can always get a roller down the road if one comes up.

What's the next great hop-up for these chassis'? Cody axles and alloy shocks? A anti-swaybar for the rear?

This is the body I got...

Old 01-16-2018, 03:05 PM   #98
I wanna be Dave

they really are like tattoos and lightsabers... you cant get "just one"!
i cant wait to "finish" (another thing you cant do) this tribute build and get really creative on my next one. question is... another ascender? or... i mean, what else is there, really?!
Old 01-16-2018, 03:16 PM   #99
RCC Addict

I still haven't finished my 2 Ascenders. Already thinking of building a 6x6 as I have a chassis laying around that I could extend, and 2 narrowed Wraith axles, just need to narrow another as I have parts and the pass through kit for 1 axle.

Ascenders are never finished really, just like any of these type of truck.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:52 PM   #100
RCC Addict

Default Wrangler Unlimited

I've already picked out colors...and there's a bikini top with it. Maybe add some rangler-nets.

Tamiya metallic green PS-17 - wifey likes green...so there ya have it.

Alloy spoked wheels in green, either the Rock Beasts in 4.75 or BFG Krawlers...

Wrangler TJ Locked & Loaded 1:1 (Build) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Locked Up's "Vuckin Double Cab" - A Chop Shop & Difuser build Locked Up 1.9 Scale Rigs 107 11-14-2015 08:37 AM
locked and loaded sylntklrz Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 4 04-14-2006 02:14 PM