Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Wrangler TJ Locked & Loaded 1:1 (Build)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2018, 06:26 AM   #101
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Wrangler TJ Locked & Loaded 1:1 (Build)

I really wish they made decent YJ/TJ bodies. They're all JK's...

i mean... out of the 28 jeeps i've had 2 have been jk's. But i just don't have the love for them that i do for the TJ's, YJ's, CJ's, etc...

I'd really like to build a tribute to my copper TJ...

https://youtu.be/GBP4GY6MKU8

i loved that thing. probably shouldn't have sold it. but we cant drive this stuff on the road in PA. And kids came and the wheeling was cut way back...
2k2wranglerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2018, 11:19 AM   #102
RCC Addict

You can embed your vid like below...

Yeah, the jeeps are fun. A guy showed up to the last comp with a pretty wild XJ crawler - even had the AXIAL stickers on it.

I keep toying with trading my Colorado in for a JK. Unbelievable that you can't find a soft-top 2-door Wrangler in southern California. Dumb. LOL
I dunno, I really don't wheel much, got back into the bikes big time. It takes three days to drive the Rubicon trail in a jeep. But you can ride it out and back in about four hours on a bike. LOL

Wife really liked the jeep - I took her to a lot of the offroad trails and mountains and such where we had been riding for years. She doesn't ride, so it was fun to see some of the most scenic terrain in the state.

When I had my TJ my oldest daughter ran the Rubicon with me and five other jeepers in our club. Here's at the top of Cadillac Hill - four made it out. The other two got towed out.

Staging at Loon Lake...check out that year date.

Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:28 AM   #103
RCC Addict

Oops...forgot to embed the vid...

That's a crawl!

Old 01-17-2018, 12:34 PM   #104
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Oops...forgot to embed the vid...

That's a crawl!

we used to sneak out to rausch creek a lot.

I've done moab but never the rubicon. You can envision rausch kind of like a lot of the offroad parks. almost like a ski slope. with different trails rated at different levels. so you could go out and do a lot or a little but always end up back at the staging area in an hour or so.

It just got expensive. 4 hours each way with the tow rigs. gas and tolls, 50 bucks a day to ride. plus if we did a hotel one night. we were dropping 500 bucks easy every time we went. Plus fixing the rigs.

My current TJ is just small on 33's. Doing local trails on our club's property. and we do a cystic fibrosis fundraiser every year at the one local park. Just something the kids and i can run out and trail ride in or take for ice cream. I've had everything from my 46 2a to jk's. Unless i was going to DD it i wouldn't buy another JK.
2k2wranglerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:46 PM   #105
RCC Addict

Awesome.
And why I've been enjoying the 'tiny-trucks' so much. I get the same adrenaline rush driving it on a razor back or steep sidehill just like the 1:1 - "Is it gonna roll???" LOL
And when it does it's not tens of thousands of $$ going up in smoke.

The last time I wheeled mine before it sold it almost went over backwards - my spotters grabbed the front bumper and pulled it back. I got all hot and sweaty after that. No poop though.

I've been looking at JK's for a DD. Mild lift and 35's. But gee, I'm really not into going out just to wheel, and you can't very well do that with a DD and expect it to not get scratched and dented. And they're heavy now, so they're not as good for a 'motorhome toad' and towing capacity is still 2K lbs for the 2-door and my little boat is about 2500lbs. Probly do it, but why? My new Colorado 4x4 does what I need it to. We kind of miss the jeep club - bunch of nice folks.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:59 AM   #106
RCC Addict

Last edited by Browneye; 01-30-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:34 PM   #107
RCC Addict

Yesterday my Arrma Typhon with about an hour running time sold on ebay for $350 - I paid $340 for it, but threw in a 4s battery and a body. So I have $$ to burn on another rig.

Tell me why I shouldn't buy a SCX10-2 kit. I'm thinking about another Ascender kit just so I don't have to decommission my beer hauler.

I've ordered wheels and tires, and contemplating a WB4 chassis with 4.75 tires for comp.

Last edited by Browneye; 01-30-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:46 AM   #108
I wanna be Dave

You shouldn't buy another Ascender...

(There, now that is out of the way!)

Get another one, set it up different... I am going to prep & paint my new cab a nice vintage color and bolt my new cage to it - so I can swap my body out along with my 1.7" wheel / 4.19" tire set.

But - it'd be nice if I could just have 2 rigs - one "beater" as it is now - with the stock tires (replace with tall-ish different tires when worn out) and the other a partial shelf queen / trail rig.

I don't particularly want to bang up the new body when I'm finished with it!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:07 AM   #109
RCC Addict

I'll second the second ascender idea. I love having two set up totally different. I'm looking to add a third slowly as money allows. That way, all the parts are the same. You build up spare parts nicely. You know how they go together and what needs to be done and where. Even though mine are set up totally differently, working on them is very similar.

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:24 AM   #110
RCC Addict

Thanks guys. Yes, there's value in familiarity and parts commonality. And comp and trail rig.
Ascenders assemble! Lol

This would be my third.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:49 AM   #111
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Get another one, set it up different... I am going to prep & paint my new cab a nice vintage color and bolt my new cage to it - so I can swap my body out along with my 1.7" wheel / 4.19" tire set.

But - it'd be nice if I could just have 2 rigs - one "beater" as it is now - with the stock tires (replace with tall-ish different tires when worn out) and the other a partial shelf queen / trail rig.
Yes, one with stock tires and one with 4.19" tires and slimmer lighter body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
I'll second the second ascender idea. I love having two set up totally different. I'm looking to add a third slowly as money allows. That way, all the parts are the same. You build up spare parts nicely. You know how they go together and what needs to be done and where. Even though mine are set up totally differently, working on them is very similar.

Ben
X2
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:08 PM   #112
RCC Addict

Got to agree with the comments above. I only bought my 2nd Ascender as it had Vanquish Currie axles on it. Decided to keep it after the axle swapl and use it as a winter rig while I rebuilt the 1st one.

They are set up differently and drive differently yet as it's common parts less spares are needed. Imagine running a different brand and having to keep spares for both. It's why I decided not to get a TRX4 or HPI Venture, even if they are good trucks.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:49 PM   #113
RCC Addict

Oh, well I had not even heard of the HPI! That's a new one on me.

And yeah Nate, that's what I'm doing with my Wrangler WB3 - swap body and tires for Class1 and Class2.5 comp. But I want to build a full-on Class 2.5 rig with big tires and whatever else can do to make it competitive. All the hop-up options. And keep my beer hauler for a trail rig, walk along, like a show piece so to speak. In other words, not comp it, not beat it, and not repurpose the chassis for another comp rig.

I think I'll go order one...LOL
Old 01-26-2018, 12:50 PM   #114
RCC Addict

BTW, what happened to my pictures?!? Whoa...
Old 01-26-2018, 03:20 PM   #115
RCC Addict

The HPI Venture is fairly new, but has been overshadowed by TRX4. Apparently it drives really well and is good quality. There is a section on here for it.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:10 PM   #116
RCC Addict

Re: HPI...
Oh well, already ordered another Ascender kit.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:34 PM   #117
RCC Addict

Now since I'm going to build another one as an ultimate rock crawler, I'm moving this one toward a Class1 scaler. Lowered the body some more and backed off the preload on the shocks, mounted up the new 4.19 Braven Ironsides, and I gotta say they're pretty nice. And they're sticky - can't wait to try them out crawling.

I think it makes it look even more like the full size one it's copied after. Whatcha think?

Found Shapeways has a cargo rack for over the spare so I want to get that, build in some more detail, lights, antenna, mirrors, wipers, etc.

Last edited by Browneye; 02-01-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:47 AM   #118
I wanna be Dave

That looks great, new tires and lower height give it perfect scale C1 looks!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:36 PM   #119
I wanna be Dave

home run, brother... HOME RUN!!!! love it!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:39 PM   #120
RCC Addict

Thanks guys.
I don't know what's happened with my fotobukit account - it used to auto-size images on upload and it looks like it's not doing that. I've been having to go in and resize them and re-link.

Picked up another kit today. Enroute are a Yeah-Racing 35T and another HW1080 controller, a 4ch receiver. This will be the comp rock-crawler with 4.75 tires and all the mods I can find.

I still don't know what I need to be competitive, maybe some wheel weights, chassis mods, etc. If y'alls have any ideas please chime in. The RB XL's will go on this one, the Wrangler Unlimited with roll bar and bikini top. Gonna put his and hers drivers in this one.

Wrangler TJ Locked & Loaded 1:1 (Build) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Locked Up's "Vuckin Double Cab" - A Chop Shop & Difuser build Locked Up 1.9 Scale Rigs 107 11-14-2015 08:37 AM
locked and loaded sylntklrz Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 4 04-14-2006 02:14 PM