Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: New Vaterra Ascender: Issues? Pls Help a Noob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2017, 07:21 PM   #1

Default New Vaterra Ascender: Issues? Pls Help a Noob

So, today I received a giant package. My new RTR Ascender and my 1st real RC - from RCPlanet. Everything is there, and shipping was fast.

I charged the battery and went to the back yard. So much fun! And the dogs going crazy barking...

Now, I noticed two things and I need help. As I said, I am a total RC noob.

1) Steering
If I steer to the right, the front wheels turn right... a lot, and I like it.
If I steer to the left, the front wheels turn left... but not as much as to the right.
Can I adjust that?

2) Squeaky Noise
It seems that both front and rear drive shafts are squeaking (where they meet the axles/diff).
Do I oil or grease that? And with what?

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by Crawl_Tide; 12-28-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Crawl_Tide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2017, 08:33 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: New Vaterra Ascender: Issues? Pls Help a Noob

Yes, you are able to adjust your steering via your radio, just be careful to limit your end point correctly. you can also reduce your squeaking noise by applying mountain bike dry chain lube.
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:29 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New Vaterra Ascender: Issues? Pls Help a Noob

Welcome.

On to the radio, make sure the knob in the front of the radio is fully turned clockwise. make sure the steering trim is centered and retest the steering L & R thow with the truck upside down so you can see how far it's steering. If you are still having trouble getting max steering to left and right you will need to reset your "steering end points"
End point adjustment is vaguely touched on in the radio manual.
DX2E - RTR - Manual (spm2330)
DX2E v.3 (spm2322)
DX2E Active - telemetry model (spm2335)

__________________________________________________ __________

Seems the DX2E - RTR, the new DX2E Active and the and the D2XE v3 are different to access the EPA mode !

RTR radio- Hold the trigger in full reverse and the steering wheel to the right while switching radio on, green light starts flashing.
Release trigger, the radio is now in EPA mode. (I have 3 rtr radios that work this way, if this don't work then try it without steering right)

Stand alone radio - Hold the trigger in full reverse while switching radio on, green light starts flashing.
Release trigger, the radio is now in EPA mode.

__________________________________________________ ___________
Here is how i do it-

RTR radio switched off, steering dual rate knob turned all the way up. Throttle and steering trims turn fully counter clockwise.

Power up truck and set it on the ground upside down, make sure its not going go anywhere, cause the radio is off!

Hold the trigger in full reverse and the steering wheel to the right while switching radio on, green light starts flashing.
Release trigger, the radio is now in EPA mode. Throttle and steering trims are now EPA adjustment knobs to be used in next few steps. Wheels on truck probably running cause the throttle trim is turned, thats why its upside down!

Turn down the throttle trim knob then hold throttle trigger at full forward speed, while holding down trigger turn throttle trim knob to set your desired maximum forward speed, then release throttle trigger. ( ignore what the wheels on your truck are doing after you release trigger because the throttle trim knob is turned up) forward EPA is now set. Wait a second or two for radio to record new setting.

Turn down the throttle trim knob then hold full reverse speed and adjust throttle trim knob again to set desired reverse max. speed. Release trigger and reverse EPA is now set. Wait two seconds again.

Turn throttle trim knob to the middle to stop wheels turning on upside down truck.

Turn down the steering trim knob then turn and hold steering control fully to the right, while holding adjust steering trim knob to set maximum desired steering angle, release steering control to center, right steering EPA is now set. Wait two seconds.

Turn down the steering trim knob then turn and hold steering to the left, adjust steering trim knob to desired maximum left steering angle then release steering control to center, left EPA is now set. Wait two seconds.

Now center the trim knobs and switch off the truck and radio, job done.

Now you can enjoy the full throttle and full steering angle available on the ascenders, mine was set at a reduced angle out of the box.

__________________________________________________ ___________
**Not sure if necessary but I have heard where some people may have to rebind the radio and receiver.

1. With the receiver off, insert the bind plug into the BIND port on the receiver.
2. Power the receiver through any other port. The green LED will flash continuously, indicating the receiver is in bind mode.
3. With the steering wheel and throttle trigger in the desired preset failsafe positions (see the Failsafe section on this page for more information), press and hold the bind button and turn on the transmitter. The green LED on the front of the transmitter will flash within three seconds, indicating the transmitter is in bind mode. Release the bind button when the green LED flashes. Continue to hold the failsafe positions until the binding process
is complete.

Last edited by ScoJac; 12-29-2017 at 05:48 AM.
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote

New Vaterra Ascender: Issues? Pls Help a Noob - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Vaterra Ascender Bluerock108 Scale Videos! 0 06-25-2016 08:01 PM
Vaterra Ascender nagging issues goldcrow Newbie General 22 02-04-2016 04:00 PM