Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Neil's 3 dollar battery tray mod.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2018, 12:21 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Neil's 3 dollar battery tray mod.

Here in Canada when we need stuff shipped from the US we get a one way ticket to destination F'ed. The batteries you pay 50 bucks for are 60 Canadian, plus 20 bucks shipping, plus 40 dollar hazmat charge going over the border. So your 50 dollar batteries from amain hobbies for exactly are 120 to my door with a duty charge on delivery just to kick you in the berries while your down. So ordering shorty packs for my ascender was just out of the question. So I needed a solution.

Solution found! Order the bpc battery tray. It looks great and is reasonably priced. Excellent. Add to cart. "Item does not ship to Canada. Welcome to destination F'd

Time for a plan b, or c, off to home depot I go. I found some nice hobby level angle aluminum. Hells yeah. Perfect. Must buy 12 foot long piece for 40 dollars. Welcome to destination .... well you know where I'm going with this. So I search around more and find a tin angle piece that's 8 feet long for 3 dollars. Score.

Next, I get home and experiment with some ideas. Here's battery tray mk1.

Looks like crap. Too big and bulky. Onto mk2

Much better. Snug fit. Nice shape. And complete with a retired hair pony tail thing I stole from my wife. Next I covered it in electric tape for style points and to cover and sharp edges. Perfect. It works! It's as low as it can be without hindering articulation and clears everywhere. Success

So all in all it cost me 3 bucks. And some zip ties and electrical tape. Hopefully this helps someone else on a budget or just too lazy to order the bpc racing one

Last edited by Neil2704; 01-21-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Neil2704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2018, 01:29 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Neil's 3 dollar battery tray mod.

Ow you guys get screwed up there on any import! Great job on the diy tray and thanks for sharing!

I’ve found better prices, more size and shape metal selection at travel trailer and camper repair shops. Ace Hardware here in USA is way better than Home Depot when you want specific items like metal, numbered drill bits etc.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:16 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Yeah i got a passport for the reason of shopping in the us, but its 3 hours to the border, and another 2 to the nearest town with any kind of bigger stores. so for a 10 plus hour commute i only go when i want a few grand worth of stuff.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:20 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Good idea too. BTW styrene is cheap, easy, non-electrically conductive, and stronger than some give it credit for. Would make a great battery tray too.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:08 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

i dont even know what styrene is haha
Old 01-23-2018, 10:35 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil2704 View Post
Here in Canada when we need stuff shipped from the US we get a one way ticket to destination F'ed. The batteries you pay 50 bucks for are 60 Canadian, plus 20 bucks shipping, plus 40 dollar hazmat charge going over the border. So your 50 dollar batteries from amain hobbies for exactly are 120 to my door with a duty charge on delivery just to kick you in the berries while your down. So ordering shorty packs for my ascender was just out of the question. So I needed a solution.

Solution found! Order the bpc battery tray. It looks great and is reasonably priced. Excellent. Add to cart. "Item does not ship to Canada. Welcome to destination F'd

Time for a plan b, or c, off to home depot I go. I found some nice hobby level angle aluminum. Hells yeah. Perfect. Must buy 12 foot long piece for 40 dollars. Welcome to destination .... well you know where I'm going with this. So I search around more and find a tin angle piece that's 8 feet long for 3 dollars. Score.

Next, I get home and experiment with some ideas. Here's battery tray mk1.

Looks like crap. Too big and bulky. Onto mk2

Much better. Snug fit. Nice shape. And complete with a retired hair pony tail thing I stole from my wife. Next I covered it in electric tape for style points and to cover and sharp edges. Perfect. It works! It's as low as it can be without hindering articulation and clears everywhere. Success

So all in all it cost me 3 bucks. And some zip ties and electrical tape. Hopefully this helps someone else on a budget or just too lazy to order the bpc racing one

Try HobbyKing for batteries. I ordered them from China to B.C. and I’ve yet to find a cheaper option and the batteries are decent quality. I’ve had more Max Amps fail than HK ones.

I typed this almost auto correctly free
xCoolHandLukex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:20 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

I'll check that out thank you

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2018, 11:24 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil2704 View Post
i dont even know what styrene is haha
ahhhh man this stuff is GREAT!!!
https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ywords=styrene

I've used it before to scratch build intercoolers for my drift cars, and i actually need some for my truck for adding some details.
imthatguy has a great intro to working on styrene vid on the SBG youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x31HhYqhsA

think of it as what we old school guys did before these new-fangled 3D printer things became affordable. well, actually combine the two and you can build ANYTHING!

and if you need anything that only ships to the USA, don't be afraid to ask a neighbor from the south.

Last edited by Shinchu; 01-23-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:37 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

That looks complicated as all hell but that does look cool. I might end up playing with this a bit to see how it goes

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2018, 12:45 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

yeah they only really intimidating part is the MEC. otherwise its like Browneye told me, dream that shit up and build it!!!

Last edited by Shinchu; 01-23-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote

Neil's 3 dollar battery tray mod. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bomber battery tray wont fit new Lipo battery rock1997 Axial RR10 Bomber 10 08-20-2016 10:36 AM
Battery for TH with large rear tray mod? drabina Vaterra Twin Hammers 4 01-04-2016 09:46 AM
ORA's Hammer - battery tray/spare tire mod offroadace Vaterra Twin Hammers 6 03-17-2013 12:23 PM
battery tray mod into a droop suspension free droopmodmrc Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 9 11-21-2009 05:23 PM