Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Topless Jimmy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2018, 09:08 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Topless Jimmy

Ok i have leaf envy...
And every time i see this thread title, for some reason all i think of is...

SHIRTLESS JIMMY KIMMEL!!?!?!

Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2018, 04:24 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
X2, dang that's looking great! I want to build leaf setup Ascender with hardbody and by making your own perches the springs can mount right outboard of the frame rails, no need to add on pieces like GCM kit does. That rear axle too....mmmmmm, nice!

Edit: Nice front jig shocks, set desired ride height and build. RC4WD U-bolts?
Gmade u bolts
Rickleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:03 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
Just a quick picture of final placement of spring mounts. Not sure yet if I’m
Going to put the front hangers on the frame or not. I’d have to weld them to the frame or weld a plate to the of the frame to then bolt the hangers on. I drilled and threaded the frame for the front spring pin plus can thread a lock nut on the inside to lock it in place plus give it more strength. I’ll have the think about it some. I like the scale looks of the hangers but the placement of them and welding to the frame seem not needed. I’ll have to make some spacers so the springs don’t slide side to side so that’s work that needs to be considered too.

I did end up sliding the rear section of frame back on hole past the stock blazer wheelbase. It just ave me more
frame to work with for the rear shackles and not have to make frame extensions. The axle is still under the raised section of frame and looks good to the eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It looks fantastic! I can't wait to see it completed!

Sent from my TYD-108H using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:39 AM   #24
RCC Addict

I’ve been getting the bug to get out and crawl but life has me booked up solid. Been itching to build more on this truck but just don’t have the time for the machining that needs to be done either. I did make a trip to the local scale train store, (they have a great selection of styrene in stock) so I figured I could start on my grill. Want this truck to have the 89-91 GMC Jimmy grill with the side by side headlights. I want the front end to look like this...

This is just the beginning and I’ve got to try and source the clear lenses for headlights and park lights but going to get the framework and grill made up anyway.

Probably be it for a while but just wanted to keep the thread alive.

Ben

Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:53 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I’ve been getting the bug to get out and crawl but life has me booked up solid. Been itching to build more on this truck but just don’t have the time for the machining that needs to be done either. I did make a trip to the local scale train store, (they have a great selection of styrene in stock) so I figured I could start on my grill. Want this truck to have the 89-91 GMC Jimmy grill with the side by side headlights. I want the front end to look like this...

This is just the beginning and I’ve got to try and source the clear lenses for headlights and park lights but going to get the framework and grill made up anyway.

Probably be it for a while but just wanted to keep the thread alive.

Ben

Hey Ben, if you need help machining something I can help you out! I'm sure I have way more time than you do! Would be the same price as usual!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:34 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Why do I do this to myself!? Yes, that’s a strip of .5mmx.5mm styrene. Need 15 total strips to make the grill. Glue one spot at a time and let set enough to pull straight and glue at next intersecting joint. We’ll see how my patience holds up.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:16 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

This is going to be a great looking rig man! If you're on Facebook I would love for you to share your build on my group Square Headz RC
Old 07-27-2018, 08:20 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickleo View Post
This is going to be a great looking rig man! If you're on Facebook I would love for you to share your build on my group Square Headz RC
Thanks man, I love your builds and your styrene work. This is the only social media I’m on. Don’t do bookface. This will be slow but hopefully something some day. Got 4 grill bars done tonight.

Ben
Old 07-27-2018, 10:06 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thanks man, I love your builds and your styrene work. This is the only social media I’m on. Don’t do bookface. This will be slow but hopefully something some day. Got 4 grill bars done tonight.

Ben
No problem bro. And thanks. No matter how long this awesome build takes I'm gonna be watching.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:18 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Got the grill portion done. Wasn’t too bad and came out pretty good. Little crooked here and there but hey, even a ‘91 is 27 years old now so time takes its toll on plastic grills right? Right? lol.

Now gotta focus on the headlights, get it? Focus lol. It’s late and I think the glue got to me. I’m thinking about clodbuster headlights, they may be perfect for the oddball small headlights these trucks used, luckily, I have an original ‘87 clodbuster in a box that I can do some figuring with to see if they’ll work, already found a source for 4 new clodbuster headlight lenses if needed. Still have to figure out what to do for the parking lights but one hurdle at a time please.

Here it is, in all of its unfinished glory.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:29 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Roughed in. Going to make headlights and marker lights out of leftover lexan. Have a few ideas to hopefully make it look like headlight glass and not clear window pane glass. Not looking forward to making the buckets and trimming the body to fit either. The grill is crooked because it’s just sitting there. Going to paint that separate.

Ben

Old 11-12-2018, 07:55 PM   #32
RCC Addict

I’m back on this build. Change of plans as in I just don’t have machining time to make my own motor mounts, custom trans and transfer case. But I do have a gcm forward motor mount and transfer case and will be using that. Yes the height of the motor drives me crazy, but not having a full interior, open top, custom roll cage truck drives me more crazy so here we go!

Ben
Old 11-14-2018, 08:50 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray View Post
This is super RAD

Thanks man!

Got a little work done today. Gotta love paid break time at work. Get paid to make Rc parts!

Random bracket because I throw nothing away lol

Some “careful” markings...

After a few cuts and some massaging with the grinder I’ve got some almost identical leaf spring perches.

They’re close enough for me and seem to work ok.

Here’s the rear axle mocked up...

Was looking through my parts bin and found this...

Hhhhhmmmmmm. This truck is going to get 4s power just because. I’m probably going to run a fast motor because with the current gear set up, my overall gearing is 110.5:1. Compared to stock ascender ratio of 57.2:1

Obviously I’m going to play with pinion and spur gearing but I’m going all in on the gear down volt up motto. The crazy gearing is the spawn of running an ascender transmission and scx10ii axles. 1.85:1 ascender ring and pinion compared to 3.75:1 10ii ring and pinion. Wonder why the ascenders have so much torque twist? That right there is why.

Ben

Old 11-15-2018, 07:23 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

They’re close enough for me and seem to work ok.
Well close enough to you is pretty darn good. Really like the build so far.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2018, 08:12 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
Well close enough to you is pretty darn good. Really like the build so far.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Thank you very much. That means a lot, you’ve got a very nice build going yourself.

I’m excited and dreading the interior build. Going to try my best to be as scale as possibly with styrene but keep wanting to just buy the rc4wd blazer and be done with it. But, that’s not my favorite body style, and they need a lot of styrene work especially for us square body lovers so I’m going to try my best to get started and hope things go well and the inspiration keeps me going. Hoping to build a steel roll cage too.

Ben
Old 11-22-2018, 09:30 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Got a little more work done. Rear axle is done and in for now. Was hoping to use my lockeduprc axles for the rear that I had in the parts bin but the spacing between where the outer bearing rides and the hex pin was shorter. So when using my Vaterra lockouts I was half a hole short to get the hex on. So, I used the hand file and ground down my Vaterra axles to fit the ssd locker and everything was happy again. I’ll take the axle out again to do some spring tuning, crazy stiff at the moment with two leafs now but will wait until it’s basically complete. Going to have lots of metal work and interior weight added to it.

Think I’m going to run the rc4wd rally wheels on this rig. I’ve had them since they first came out. Used them in another truck shortly while trying out tires but back in the bin they went. Going to run the trim rings this time in hopes that it makes them appear a bit smaller to the eye with the 4.19” braven Ironsides tires which I had in the parts bin too.

Ive got to make a rear body mount, even if it’s temporary so I can start to lay out a floor, sliders, bumper mounts and basically everything I guess. Trying to think of roll cage ideas too. If any of you guys have links or pictures of roll cages in these blazers post them for inspiration please. Oh, rear bumpers with tire rack too. OR, a tire mount on the cage in the back close to tailgate. Thanks!

Ben

Old 11-23-2018, 01:30 AM   #37
RCC Addict

Try this maybe..

https://silodrome.com/big-oly-ford-bronco/
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 04:45 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

I think something like this and then if you feel like it you could make a top.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2018, 09:06 PM   #39
RCC Addict

Got the front axle done. Made my axle shafts, went full eyeball engineering on making my long side shaft and it seems to work. Time will tell but I did get some nice welds on it and cleaned them up and can even replace the bearing if need be.

Stock ascender front axle shaft

Cut up lockeduprc axle shaft

The fit together with air gap to allow for weld to fill in and not just lay on top. I got on such a roll and never took a picture of the finished axle but it is done lol.

Got my ssd scale driveshafts today and I’m a bit disappointed. They didn’t take the time to line up the u-joints so no matter which spline you use, the u-joints are never in phase. Now I’m going to have scale vibrations in my scale truck from my scale driveshafts. Going to contact them and see what they say.

Ben

Old 11-27-2018, 05:18 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

I really dig this build. I am planning on going offset diff in the front on my international. Helps give me inspiration.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk

Topless Jimmy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My little Jimmy... lol Itali83 Vaterra Ascender 120 09-14-2020 01:39 PM
Don't Touch My Jimmy: GMC Jimmy build by CFM CarterFab Vaterra Ascender 31 11-01-2015 12:33 AM
Jimmy-Yeti jrkilburn Axial Yeti 2 08-29-2014 06:36 PM
Jimmy Fallon hotrodsonoma Chit Chat 1 06-10-2014 10:56 AM
can Jimmy do it THIS time? emaxxjeremy Chit Chat 3 11-18-2006 12:28 PM