Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Topless Jimmy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2020, 08:25 PM   #81
RCC Addict

Default Re: Topless Jimmy

Not sure why I could only upload one photo but at least it’s a decent one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2021, 02:14 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

That's looking even better with the hardbody on it! Thanks and happy new year and another year of enjoying our beloved ascenders to you too!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:31 PM   #83
RCC Addict

Got some paint on the body finally. I’m going to weather this paint to look like original 1976 paint. But it’s always fun to look at fresh shiny paint.

Old 02-21-2021, 12:56 PM   #84
RCC Addict

Started to do some weathering to the old girl. I’m a big fan of natural patina, when a truck earns its keep year after year the paint shows its age and that’s ok with me. I don’t like smashed up and rotted junk but dull thin paint is perfectly fine for me. I tried to recreate this as naturally as I could. Copying my 82 K10 pickup that has earned its patina too.

I went with a black primer hood because anyone who knows the 73-80 square bodies knows that the hood didn’t have a strong enough brace and over the years of fighting a stiff spring and dry hinges, the hood buckles. So this truck had its hood replaced a while back but didn’t have the money to paint the whole truck so primer it is with a little surface rust starting to show through.

Still a lot of details to go but getting the bulk of paint weathering done.

Here’s a few of my real truck for reference.

Old 03-22-2021, 04:55 AM   #85
RCC Addict

Got the blazer pretty much done. I’ve got a few scale goodies to put in the back just because. But I’m so happy with the results. It does pretty well out on the rocks so far. It’s heavy and the rear bumper is an anchor but that’s what I love about it really. Makes you think and try different lines.

Old 03-22-2021, 05:33 AM   #86

Looks very good! Really like the patina

I have an Ascender as well, trying to implement the Jeep hard body to it, but it has been on the shelf for a couple of years.. Took it out for a spin with kids yesterday, and it was fun to trail again. Still this it's a good truck
balko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:39 AM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
Got the blazer pretty much done. I’ve got a few scale goodies to put in the back just because. But I’m so happy with the results. It does pretty well out on the rocks so far. It’s heavy and the rear bumper is an anchor but that’s what I love about it really. Makes you think and try different lines.

Very nice job Ben, I agree that you nailed the paint job. But then you have a great eye for design! Keep up the great work young man.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 03:07 PM   #88
Pebble Pounder

Phenomenal build! Reminds me of my dad's old rust bucket Jimmy we had in the early 90s.
addiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 11:52 AM   #89
RCC Addict

Just a few pictures from a short trail run with 2 of my sons. I love this truck and how it photographs in the wild. Mostly just wanted to keep some life going in the ascender section too. I’m still using mine from time to time and my oldest son’s truck is an ascender too.

Ben.

Old 09-04-2021, 06:41 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Your truck does the "is this real or R/C?" trick extremely well, incredible paint, correct wheel and tire choice for scale realism!

My favorite Blazer build...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 10:00 PM   #91
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Your truck does the "is this real or R/C?" trick extremely well, incredible paint, correct wheel and tire choice for scale realism!

My favorite Blazer build...
Thank you very much. This is my first hard body truck and I’ve loved it every step of the way. It’s not my most capable truck but I love it for that. The paint came out very good I think. I just wung it and followed the patterns of my real square bodies with patina and came out with something that I was satisfied with. I came across this mossy area next to a pond and the light was just right I thought it was a great place for a picture. I wish I was a better photographer because I bet with some skill, I could have captured an even better realism shot. But, this one isn’t too bad either.

I’m sad to see our beloved ascenders are very much a thing of the past now. I’m not out crawling much right now but try why I can. I don’t always get to crawl, but when I do, I crawl with an ascender
Ben

Topless Jimmy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My little Jimmy... lol Itali83 Vaterra Ascender 120 09-14-2020 01:39 PM
Don't Touch My Jimmy: GMC Jimmy build by CFM CarterFab Vaterra Ascender 31 11-01-2015 12:33 AM
Jimmy-Yeti jrkilburn Axial Yeti 2 08-29-2014 06:36 PM
Jimmy Fallon hotrodsonoma Chit Chat 1 06-10-2014 10:56 AM
can Jimmy do it THIS time? emaxxjeremy Chit Chat 3 11-18-2006 12:28 PM