Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: ScoJac gets his F-100

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2018, 05:52 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Talking ScoJac gets his F-100

Morning fellas, picked up my F-100 last night at the LHS. My Bronco is so glad to have some new company. The body on this HOT, the only disappointment is the self peeling chrome body trim stickers. It looks like I'll have to remove them completely and mask the body and spray some on the outside.

Mods, yep already started in on it 10 minutes out of the box....
Tactic TTX300 radio and receiver
Castle 10 A BEC (tucked away in the radio box) Programmed to 6.0 volts
XT90 ESC connector and pigtail with XT30 connector for future lightbar(s)
SSD Assassin wheels with the brake rotor hubs
Proline Hyrax tires
Proline dual stage foams
Red LED light string for the rear of the truck (5mm leds fit in the holes in the last crossmember perfectly)

I will be pulling the Wertymade WM31 narrow flat top stinger off of my Bronco today and seeing how it fits with the body.

I can see already I'll be having to trim the front lower wheel opening near the bumper.

Undecided on which rock sliders to get, but I'll probably end up going with the RC4WD Tough Armor ones agin like what I have on the Bronco.

Future mods will be a Wraith sway bar, 2" light bar for the front bumper (undecided on said bumper yet) and maybe a light bar for the top of the cage.
A new servo, but I'll rock this one till I kill it.
And I can't forget goodies from one of my favorite companies, SSD. A set of brass knuckles and aluminum pro chubs and a set of rear brass lockouts. And cannot forget their diff covers either.
Maybe a set of Codyboy axles.

This won't be a super in-depth build, but I know everyone like build threads.

Anywho, here are a few pics.

IMG_1513

IMG_1515

IMG_1511

IMG_1510

Pulled a couple Gmade SR02 wheels off my Bronco and mounted to see what a white wheel would like, and..........

IMG_1514

I think the new SSD white wagon wheel would look insane on it as well, maybe wrapped in a set of PB Rock Beast 4.5" !

Last edited by ScoJac; 02-14-2018 at 06:07 PM. Reason: spelling
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2018, 06:25 AM   #2
Slow is the new Fast

Default Re: ScoJac gets his F-100

Not the SSD Wagon Wheels, but i put these steelies on mine
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:37 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The Dreamsicle is in good company

IMG_1521

I did not feel like removing the lights from the Wertymade bumper thats on the Bronco, so I tried the original Bronco bumper and it fits great. Lifted the body posts by one hole. I did separate the bumper from the mounts and added a 2mm spacer, there is a 2mm gap between the body and the bumper now and by lifting the posts by one hole the body sits perfectly above the bumper frame mounts.
If I decide to just keep this bumper on it, I'll throw in either some white or yellow leds.

IMG_1523
Old 02-10-2018, 09:16 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Well the sway bar came today, Monday the SSD chubs, brass knuckles and the rear axle carriers should be here. I cut the wheel well openings and removed the chrome stripe from the body.
I'll post up a pic or two when I get them installed.
I also conformal coated the Tactic receiver and sealed up the CC BEC with silicone.

Last edited by ScoJac; 02-10-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:02 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Got some goodies today.....

SSD Pro Aluminum C-Hubs
SSD Brass Knuckles
SSD Brass rear axle carriers
Some Yeah Racing gas cans
Homemade inner fender wells...will be painting black soon
Removed the chrome trim strip on the sides and added a couple stickers

Dropped it on the bathroom scale.....with the battery and body on it, it comes in at 7.0 pounds !

One of these days I will be installing the Wraith front swaybar on the rear, just need to hit up Natedog's thread again for the measurements.

IMG_1534

IMG_1535

IMG_1540

IMG_1541

IMG_1539

IMG_1536

IMG_1530

IMG_1544

IMG_1531

Last edited by ScoJac; 02-12-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:00 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I kept telling myself to keep the servo till it dies........
But, I was at the LHS last night and could not hold back. Picked up a Monster Torque Savox SA-1230SG servo. I run this same one in my TRX4 and am impressed with it so I already knew which one I would be eventually be purchasing for the F-100.

This servo has a tall deck so I knew I'd have to mount it on top of the mounts and I found the slimmest horn they had, I went with the Dynamite DYN2531. Got it installed, centered the servo then centered the wheels and put on the horn that wes already connected to the draglink. With the suspension fully compressed there is a 1.5mm gap between the horn and tierod.

I set the front tires on some napkins and the truck sitting at droop, proceeded to set the end points. The reason I use napkins or paper is so that the tires can swing from full left to full right without the tires grabbing and holding onto whatever surface it's sitting on, so I use my kitchen countertop. This servo is a beast and at 500 oz/in
it will break parts if you do not set the endpoints.

For those not familiar with this servo, here are some specs on it.

Specifications:
Speed:
@6.0V: .16 sec/60
Torque:
@6.0V: 500 oz-in
Dimensions: 40.3x20.2x45.0mm
Weight: 79.0g
Gear: Unique Steel
Bearing: 2BB
Case: Full Aluminum
Spline: 25 Tooth

IMG_1548

Last edited by ScoJac; 02-14-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:21 PM   #7

Oh man... Those fenders are awesome!

Wish I had a set for front and rear!
Apx2Apx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #8

Does the stock bumper for a WARN 9.5 winch do you know?
Apx2Apx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:47 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apx2Apx View Post
Oh man... Those fenders are awesome!

Wish I had a set for front and rear!
I cut up some lunchmeat containers, took 10 minutes to cut and fit both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apx2Apx View Post
Does the stock bumper for a WARN 9.5 winch do you know?
I just went and looked at the bumper and the winch that I have on my TRX4 and the winch will not work without making a custom bracket and you'll also have to move the bumper out farther due to the depth of the winch.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:38 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

A bit of an update on the SSD rear brass axle carriers.

If you use the stock Vaterra hex you will need to sand, grind or file down the nub on the back side because it can bind on the brass. I took the rigs to my Dad's yesterday to play in his basement a little on some plywood, wanted to see what the F-100 was like compared to his almost stock K10...I made it 25 feet across the basement when it torque twisted so bad I thought it was going to flip over onto it's side ! Picked it up and found the rear tires bound up almost solid !

I pulled the wheels off and the axles were still bound up so I removed the hexes and the axles spun freely, below are some pics of the hexes and the carriers. You can see where they were rubbing against each other...I checked the bronco and found the rear wheels to have a slight drag on them too (so I knew it was not a fluke with the ones on the F-100).

On the Bronco I run a set of 12x8mm aluminum hexes from GPM to return the Gmade steelies back to a 0* offset...those rubbled the brass too, but not as bad.

So I pulled off the rear hexes from both rigs and ran them across a file for a bit and then on some 180 grit sand paper checking then every so often with a caliper. I put them back on and now there is no rubbing and ran them on a stand for a while with no contact between the brass and the hexes.
The stock hexes measure 6.18mm / 0.243" and I reduced them to 5.86mm / 0.230"

I'll be contacting SSD and letting them know about this, if they could machine in a 10mm x .75mm recess in the carrier there will be no problems running any type of hex from any manufacture.

On to the pics....you can see the brass dust on the hex as well as the carriers. On the carriers look at the shiny brass poking out on the edge where the bushing is.

IMG_1555

IMG_1553

IMG_1555

Since adding the SSD brass on all 4 corners of both my Bronco and the F-100 I have not been out with them...how did they do on steep plywood in the basement.......

By no means does this hurt my impression of SSD..... They make phenomenal products and I will continue purchasing from them in the future.

Last edited by ScoJac; 02-18-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:22 AM   #11
SSD
RCC Addict

The Ascender rear axle design is not good in that it relies on the back of the hex to touch the aluminum spacer to keep the rear shafts in place.
So the hex might slighty rub initially until it touches the aluminum spacer inside.

Sanding the back of the hex is not going to make any difference, probably make it worse.

Last edited by SSD; 02-19-2018 at 04:42 AM.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:57 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
The Ascender rear axle design is not good in that it relies on the back of the hex to touch the aluminum spacer to keep the rear shafts in place.
So the hex might slighty rub initially until it touches the aluminum spacer inside.

Sanding the back of the hex is not going to make any difference, probably make it worse.
Actually, it’s a great design with much tighter tolerances and better plastics than most other brand crawlers. Indexing rear axles off the easily replaced outer axle bearings is much better than allowing the shaft inner flanges to hammer against the spool bearings like some other brands. This is also how 1:1 axles are designed. These outside bearings are cheaper and easier to replace and pinion, ring gear mesh is unaffected.

ScoJack your Ascender is looking good! Like the SSD Assassin wheels and nice to see more brake rotors weights options. RC4WD 5 lug wheels look good too and the F100 1/2 tons were five lug.

Last edited by Natedog; 03-06-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:54 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog View Post
scojack your ascender is looking good! Like the ssd assassin wheels and nice to see more brake rotors weights options. Rc4wd 5 lug wheels look good too and the f100 1/2 tons were five lug.
thanks
Old 02-19-2018, 05:11 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Stopped by my local HobbyTown after work and was checking out the new TRX4 Bronco.....OMG, its soooo sexXxy
I think they had 4 of them and like 6 or 7 kits !

While there I picked up my SSD 8 spoke wagon wheels I ordered last week. I wrapped then in some PB-Rock Beasts. I have never mounted up tires on a beadlock as easy as these, from the time I cut open the packages till I bolted them to the truck it was 20 minutes ! ! !

Man it's a hard decision on which wheel I like better, the white wagons are so sexy on there but I like the look of the Assassins as well. I'll definitely be switching them up this season and trying out both tires and rocking different looks fo sure.

IMG_1556

IMG_1557
Old 02-19-2018, 07:38 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Both look great, different tires/wheels sets are good to have.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:28 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoJac View Post
Stopped by my local HobbyTown after work and was checking out the new TRX4 Bronco.....OMG, its soooo sexXxy
I think they had 4 of them and like 6 or 7 kits !

While there I picked up my SSD 8 spoke wagon wheels I ordered last week. I wrapped then in some PB-Rock Beasts. I have never mounted up tires on a beadlock as easy as these, from the time I cut open the packages till I bolted them to the truck it was 20 minutes ! ! !

Man it's a hard decision on which wheel I like better, the white wagons are so sexy on there but I like the look of the Assassins as well. I'll definitely be switching them up this season and trying out both tires and rocking different looks fo sure.

IMG_1556

IMG_1557
I really like this look, I almost pulled the trigger on these for my "46" Power Wagon build.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:49 PM   #17

Awesome build!!!
Sepulveda87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:28 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulveda87 View Post
Awesome build!!!
Thanks

It's turned out pretty nice so far. I still need to get the sway bar mounted up and rebuild the shocks, I picked up a couple big bore shock rebuild kits so I can use the x-rings instead of the o-rings in the factory shocks.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:47 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I picked up an Axial light bucket kit AX80045 to add a couple more lights for the rear, and tied them in with the body lights. I never thought I'd use a servo crimper as much as I have. I can Highly recommend the IWISS SN-28B ratcheting crimper. works for most of all the tiny connectors you'll find on our rigs.

IMG_1569

IMG_1568
Old 03-06-2018, 12:20 AM   #20
wyd
Rock Crawler

Wow very nicely done. Really enjoyed reading this build. Both rim combos look outstanding.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote

ScoJac gets his F-100 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K2-3l F-100 NoblesvilleKid 1.9 Scale Rigs 10 10-21-2010 11:40 AM
Whose quote is give 100 people a chassis and they'll build it 100 diff ways? Rig Rocker Chit Chat 6 10-05-2010 10:40 AM
My F-100 CR... SNPY Tamiya CR-01 5 03-10-2009 05:21 PM