Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Browneye JK Unlimited/K5 Blazer (Build)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2018, 07:30 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Browneye JK Unlimited/K5 Blazer (Build)

Grandpa got me started painting when I was about 7.
A recalcitrant child. Not much has changed in all these years. LOL
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2018, 09:35 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Browneye aint no fool, sucka!!!

Gotta love 80s nostalgia!

*just tried to find you a ba baracus driver figure. Ehuggg... ugly and overpriced. You would think a smaller company would have done the A team figures with modern sculpting and articulation... Neca, to name an example.

Last edited by Shinchu; 03-12-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:59 PM   #23
RCC Addict

I need some trailer wheels guys. I can't find smaller tires with a reasonably smooth tread.
Gmade has some nice cheap plastic beadlocks, but I can't find any tires under 3.85". Ideally we could get them down to 3". Any road tires work with these?
Or maybe there's a 1.5 combo?
Or something for Tamiya tractor-truck type wheels - that size looks pretty good, they're right about 3" - or 30" for scale tire/wheel diameter.

I'm sourcing materials and plans for something like this...with complete interior and removable top....

Old 03-13-2018, 05:01 PM   #24
RCC Addict

I found some corrugated siding for model RR that would allow for this type of build...

Old 03-13-2018, 05:12 PM   #25
RCC Addict

"AirFloat" vintage trailers...

Plenty of fine examples to choose from, for a replica. Gotta decide what and how big. Corrugated plastic comes in 24" sheets.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:15 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Good thing for grandpa getting you painting! I like the first camper trailer best, but prefer the OG teal and white paint scheme, Tamiya tractor trailer tires is the first thing that came to mind for trailer duty.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:29 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
>snip
Tamiya tractor trailer tires is the first thing that came to mind for trailer duty.
What wheels do they fit? All I could find were deeply offset ones, for either fronts or back on the semi's. I might be able to make a front semi-style wheel work. Maybe I can eyeball some at the LHS.

Seems 5/32 threaded rod is the perfect axle material for standard RC wheels - I even tried a drill bit in one of my alloy wheels - fit perfect. They don't to be perfect and they don't need bearings - just have to roll and not wobble for a trailer.

Last edited by Browneye; 03-15-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:09 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Don’t know what wheels they fit. If needed you can lathe the wheel center out and move the offset or swap centers. Userid Fungi here on RCC 3d prints tons of micro wheels and parts, might do wheels to fit.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:26 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Default Tires and wheels for trailer

AMain Hobbies has these which might work - the tires are 4" in diameter though. For 1/8 or 1/9 scale they're okay, for 1/10 scale they're a lilttle big. They have the right 'look' though...

And these, front tires for buggies and trucks - JConcetps Rips - nice shape and tread, just a little large in diameter at 4". If I can bury them under a skirt or such on the trailer chassis they would probly work.

Unfortunately the type of wheel above isn't available in 1.55 or 1.7, as the Tamiya truck and other ribbed tires, like the Sand Scorcher would be better. Gotta have the right wheel-look too - it's as important as the tire look.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:46 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

i went crazy looking for the right wheel/tire combo in 1.55 for my build. i think you are on to something with the tractor/semi tires. find some 1.7 wheels and you should be all set!

*did a quick search at rpp and i think the 1.55 landies from rc4wd are nice, and the smallest tire i can see right now is the dirt grabbers (very commonly used on trailers). my truck has those tires and they are SMALL!

Last edited by Shinchu; 03-15-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:47 PM   #31
RCC Addict

EDIT: Everywhere is sold out on RC4WD "Landies" :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
i went crazy looking for the right wheel/tire combo in 1.55 for my build. i think you are on to something with the tractor/semi tires. find some 1.7 wheels and you should be all set!

*did a quick search at rpp and i think the 1.55 landies from rc4wd are nice, and the smallest tire i can see right now is the dirt grabbers (very commonly used on trailers). my truck has those tires and they are SMALL!
Oh, you're onto something there...I had not found those - and yes, I think they would be perfect. And I think they'll fit the Tamiya Sand Scorcher front tires at 1.4-1.5" inside diameter, 2.85" OD. Tower has them for $6.39/pair!

Last edited by Browneye; 03-15-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:03 PM   #32
RCC Addict

The problem with the RC4WD 'Dirtgrabber' tire is it looks like a K01 All Terrain, not a road tire. And I see that's what they put on all of their fancy (expensive LOL) trailers, but gee, they just don't have the right look, especially for a vintage travel trailer. [shrug]

I would use them as a last resort.

If you can find me a 'steelie' type wheel for 1.7 that I could use with a Tamiya semi-truck tire I would be forever grateful. The closest thing I could find was a 'wagon wheel' spoked type, which would be fine for a car-hauler or boat trailer, but not a vintage TT.

EDIT: I wrote RC4WD about their stock-outs and they've already responded. Will see what they suggest. Whoot!

Last edited by Browneye; 03-15-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:55 PM   #33
RCC Addict

"Skylar" at RC4WD says they'll have the 1.55 white steelie beadlocks back in stock in a couple of weeks! The personal response and feedback from them is exceptional.

On to sourcing siding and framing to build a trailer.

Gotta finalize a design selection. I really like that corrugated siding as a vintage replica...just makes it...unique!
Old 03-15-2018, 09:04 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Good thing for grandpa getting you painting! I like the first camper trailer best, but prefer the OG teal and white paint scheme, Tamiya tractor trailer tires is the first thing that came to mind for trailer duty.
That teal or turquois color is just so...well, 50's style. I like it too, that's why I did my K10 beer hauler that color.
I may have to end up getting that proline 66 chevy body and paint everything turquois and white. That would be awesome.
A 50's style trailer with a 66 truck would just fit.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:50 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Default more vintage trailer ideas for design consideration

Old 03-16-2018, 10:44 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

yes!
congrats on the email success with rc4wd!
but if you are looking at their white 1.55 steelies... what tires to use? the sand scorchers? i hope you can figure out a way to narrow the steelies to keep that sidewall bulge, and some HARD foams!

I'm excited for this... my wife and i have been discussing a possible teardrop style trailer to pull behind our grand Cherokee.
and i just did a google image search to show a co-worker what was going on here, pulled up an image on a blackfoot with a six-pac style cab-over camper! my dad had one for his truck... phase 3 upgrade?! haha look what you done did!
Old 03-16-2018, 04:46 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
yes!
congrats on the email success with rc4wd!
but if you are looking at their white 1.55 steelies... what tires to use? the sand scorchers? i hope you can figure out a way to narrow the steelies to keep that sidewall bulge, and some HARD foams!

I'm excited for this... my wife and i have been discussing a possible teardrop style trailer to pull behind our grand Cherokee.
and i just did a google image search to show a co-worker what was going on here, pulled up an image on a blackfoot with a six-pac style cab-over camper! my dad had one for his truck... phase 3 upgrade?! haha look what you done did!

IIRC the scorcher tires are like 84mm and the wheels are like 88. I'm hoping they'll work. I don't know about foams, I can cut some others down.

Teardrop trailers are all the rage.
They're great for California weather since you can mostly be outside. If it rains it would suck.

Look up Chalet trailers.... Chalet, Inc.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:42 PM   #38
RCC Addict

Old 03-16-2018, 10:54 PM   #39
RCC Addict

I dunno...this might be it...

This ain't bad either...

Last edited by Browneye; 03-16-2018 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:54 AM   #40
RCC Addict

Out of my three rigs I'm liking to drive this one the best. The giant body works with the 4.75 tires and it climbs and crawls better than the other two, has good wheelspeed too with stock gearing on 3s. All the extra weight and upgrades really work well. Also very happy with the YR Hackmoto motor.

Browneye JK Unlimited/K5 Blazer (Build) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1986 Chevrolet K-5 Blazer Ascender & Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon LandOfTheEagle Scale Videos! 1 12-03-2016 04:49 PM
Tom G's Unlimited Build Tom G Unlimited Class Crawlers 18 11-27-2015 08:46 AM
Jeeper's JK Unlimited Build Jeeper95 Axial SCX-10 10 01-19-2014 06:21 PM
YJ Unlimited Build yj300hp 1.9 Scale Rigs 1 01-23-2012 11:38 PM
JK Unlimited Build (WIP) BrianP 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 10-15-2011 07:01 PM