Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Browneye JK Unlimited/K5 Blazer (Build)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2018, 09:21 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Browneye JK Unlimited/K5 Blazer (Build)

yeah its crazy when you apply the KISS method. i need an "easy rig" that's just no frills, DO WORK.

as for the Chalet trailers, pretty sure we can rent those on base. that said... i guess i don't need to buy one? lol
as for your 1:10 trailer, the 84mm tires on 88mm wheels, those should balloon the sidewalls JUST right, and look a lot like the real deal. nice!

Last edited by Shinchu; 03-28-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2018, 09:41 AM   #42
RCC Addict

Tires came in, RC4WD wrote today and the 1.5 steelie wheels are back in stock.
Time to order up some materials.

I made some foams - turned out great. Pics soon...
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:21 AM   #43
RCC Addict

Okay...as promised...tires and wheels for my scale travel trailer...

I was surprised a 1-1/2" hole-saw would cut foam, but it worked pretty well. Then cut the outer with a fine-tooth scroll saw, cleaned it up with scissors and the bench grinder so they are even. They fill up the tires nicely, and I think they'll work to support the weight. Waiting on the white 'steelie' wheels from RC4WD - 1.5's. They should work pretty well for the trailer.

Size comparison to PBRB SX's. They are right about 3" in diameter which would calc to right about a 30" tire full size - perfect for a trailer tire.

I need to get busy and order up some building materials and start building. Still trying to figure out a trailer hitch setup. RC4WD has a nice coupler but I can't figure out what they're using on the trailer end. A drop-out hitch with ball would be ideal.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:39 AM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Tire foams came out very nicely and should be good looking setup on your trailer.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:26 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Finally found a 'she-co-driver'...
I think she's pretty cool. Wife says her tits are too small and she has a resting bitch-face. So I say she looks like my buddy's wife or girlfriend.
Do you know how hard it is to find a female action figure that isn't all costumed out or way too flashy? And barbie dolls are way too big. LOL

The driver-dood, why he's just havin' a grand ol' time.
I had to make him a t-shirt. Chris Jerico or something, I've never heard of him - some kinda WWW wrestler or something.

Last edited by Browneye; 04-02-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:37 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Better late than never, saw this at a local BMW repair shop (for very short people? Or, I guess ya just sleep in it...?):
Attached Images

durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:20 AM   #47
RCC Addict

Ya the 'tear drop' trailers are an icon with an avid following. There are all kinds of kits and parts and plans to create them, even companies making and selling them, and even offroad models, models you can tow with a motorcycle.

The kitchen/galley is in the back, open-air style, and the bed is in the front across the floor. Yes, they are for sleeping only. Great for nice weather locales, inclimate places not so much. If you google images you can be entertained for hours. LOL

I was going for something larger and more substantial for eye appeal and display, for my travel trailer project.

The old AirFlite trailers are something I've never heard of before. The were made locally here in LA, but ceased production when the founder passed away in 1957. Coincidentally that was the year I was born, so it's fitting. I've always wanted a '57 Chevy - truck or car. The 2-door hardtop and convertible are way beyond collectable - now worth huge money - way beyond 6-figures for prime examples.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:42 AM   #48
I wanna be Dave

my dad had a 57 bel-air executive in high school (different side trim that went straight, no backseat for "traveling salesmen" aka street racers weight reduction.) he rolled it... street racing.

anyway on the driver figs... i can still help you since I'm pretty good at custom figs. i would post a pic of a GI Joe i made of myself (smaller 80's version) in my navy uniform, but i cant find it among the 20 or so boxes of figures i have lol

7 inch figures are perfect for 1:10 scale. stuff from NECA, marvel select, maybe even Disney star wars elite series (they are die-cast). *mattel makes decent DC super heroes for more head choices.
a simple head swap on the right body could be all it takes.
a little awkward to discuss but maybe a female wrestler with bigger um.... well find the right body and then just find another figure from ANY line that's 7 inch, and you could swap heads.
haha ironically the fig you got is almost spot on for my wife lol (found it, NECA from the movie Divergent, character's name is Tris... told ya I'm good!)

Last edited by Shinchu; 04-03-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:56 AM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
my dad had a 57 bel-air executive in high school (different side trim that went straight, no backseat for "traveling salesmen" aka street racers weight reduction.) he rolled it... street racing.

anyway on the driver figs... i can still help you since I'm pretty good at custom figs. i would post a pic of a GI Joe i made of myself (smaller 80's version) in my navy uniform, but i cant find it among the 20 or so boxes of figures i have lol

7 inch figures are perfect for 1:10 scale. stuff from NECA, marvel select, maybe even Disney star wars elite series (they are die-cast). *mattel makes decent DC super heroes for more head choices.
a little awkward to discuss but maybe a female wrestler with bigger um.... well find the right body and then just find another figure from ANY line that's 7 inch, and you could swap heads.
haha ironically the fig you got is almost spot on for my wife lol (found it, NECA from the movie Divergent, character's name is Tris... told ya I'm good!)
I found one that matches my wife. Bad part is the legs don't move so I can't get it in there.

I guess I could always cut them off and make a half interior.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:19 PM   #50
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post

Ha...yep, that's it.
It's a good fit, all in good fun.

I ran that rig so hard last weekend - several rolls and hard crashes - it punched the cage right through the body. So I took it apart and made little aluminum plates for the ends of the cage to set on, then reinstalled the backer washers and screws. Solid again. It won't take much more crashing though - if it breaks through this time it will be the end of the body.
So I think I'll find a good candidate for a comp, something I can crash the crap out of.

Maybe a Cherokee body could be a candidate...I hate them things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
I found one that matches my wife. Bad part is the legs don't move so I can't get it in there.

I guess I could always cut them off and make a half interior.
I cut them both off at the waist - the JKU is a 'half-interior'. Put a screw or two in from the bottom. The girl one giggled when I did that.

Last edited by Browneye; 04-03-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:40 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

milliput or sculpey.

cut and butt!
Old 04-15-2018, 08:40 AM   #52
RCC Addict

Not wanting to trash my blazer and the JKU body is failing....so for hardcore crawling this Chevy MT 'snoop nose' body works great. Light and narrow and I don't mind it when it rolls.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:19 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

I was wondering when we would see the snoop you mentioned in another thread!
I like it! Very clean but i imagine not for long... ;)
Old 04-16-2018, 08:40 AM   #54
RCC Addict

It got hammered this weekend so it's not NEW anymore.

Hopefully it's still running for the proline event. Not sure what I'm going to run for that event. Looking forward to the 'scale city'.

This is my best chassis - it really crawls well. Must be those Cody axles, eh?

I think I'll get a 66 Chevy cab and build a long WB honcho.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:23 AM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Not wanting to trash my blazer and the JKU body is failing....so for hardcore crawling this Chevy MT 'snoop nose' body works great. Light and narrow and I don't mind it when it rolls.
Looks great, nice paint too, is that Stampede body or?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
It got hammered this weekend so it's not NEW anymore.

Hopefully it's still running for the proline event. Not sure what I'm going to run for that event. Looking forward to the 'scale city'.

This is my best chassis - it really crawls well. Must be those Cody axles, eh?

I think I'll get a 66 Chevy cab and build a long WB honcho.
Sweet, any trail pics?

WB4 or? 66 Chevy body with HOncho cage would look great too!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:26 AM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Chevy MT 'snoop nose' body - 13" wheelbase, drop fit for solid axle racers:

1988 Chevy Silverado "Snoop Nose" MT body | JConcepts
durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:49 PM   #57
RCC Addict

No other trail pics...we were busy drinking beer and running trucks. LOL

And yeah, that's the body. I spotted it in the sea of bodies at LHS and thought gee, if it fits the WB it might be a good option. Had I seen it on a monster truck at JConcepts I likely would have skipped it. But it turned out okay, it's setup for a little longer WB, but good enough for this application. I just wanted something I could hammer the you know what out of...and it suffices fine for that.

But yeah, it's rather unappealing scale-wise so I'm already looking for an alternative.
The Blazer got bagged and put away. The JKU body got repaired so it can run - I had to install little aluminum plates under each leg of the cage as it had punched all the way through the body.

BTW, my LHS had that Axial JKU body set for sale - we thought they had disco'd it, but there it was for $85. OUch.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:58 PM   #58
RCC Addict

I just can't help it...this has to be the most classic example of "Forum Posts Gone Wrong When Read Out of Context":

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post

Please continue
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:05 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
I just can't help it...this has to be the most classic example of "Forum Posts Gone Wrong When Read Out of Context":

Please continue
Ha! I didn't even notice. I guess there's a reason I play with toys since I seem to have issues elsewhere?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:05 AM   #60
I wanna be Dave

yeah i noticed yesterday when i was reading through again haha i was like "HEY NOW!"

and $85 for a BODY?! ok it s JKU and most likely it will sell but jeez... i'll stick to my old fords ;) for now...

Browneye JK Unlimited/K5 Blazer (Build) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1986 Chevrolet K-5 Blazer Ascender & Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon LandOfTheEagle Scale Videos! 1 12-03-2016 04:49 PM
Tom G's Unlimited Build Tom G Unlimited Class Crawlers 18 11-27-2015 08:46 AM
Jeeper's JK Unlimited Build Jeeper95 Axial SCX-10 10 01-19-2014 06:21 PM
YJ Unlimited Build yj300hp 1.9 Scale Rigs 1 01-23-2012 11:38 PM
JK Unlimited Build (WIP) BrianP 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 10-15-2011 07:01 PM