Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Browneye JK Unlimited/K5 Blazer (Build)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2018, 09:39 PM   #61
RCC Addict

Default Re: Browneye JK Unlimited/K5 Blazer (Build)

Lookie here what showed up...trailer wheels...

Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2018, 09:57 PM   #62
Rock Stacker

Sweet...
Zippy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:05 AM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Lookie here what showed up...trailer wheels...

Those are perfect! Can't wait to see your trailer!

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:26 AM   #64
RCC Addict

Just wish I could somehow scrub off all the lettering on those tires. I tried an emery board on one and it did nothing. Overall dimension and look is almost perfect. And hubcaps would be nice - oh well. LOL

I did have to trim some of the bead off the tires to get them to fit. The RC4WD wheels are nice to work with, nice PC finish, and the hex-hub through-bolts the two halves together with an internal bead lock ring.

Here's a cool vid on making a trailer frame that I'll be utilizing - angle aluminum bent to the shape, then the sides built up from there. A combination of thin plywood with Evergreen Scale siding for model RR. Wifey says it needs to have a top that lifts off so the interior can be shown - I like that idea.

This frame concept makes an easy and ideal platform to build from. I got a hitch connector and ball, bumper for Ascender, also from RC4WD that will complete the hitch details.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:34 AM   #65
I wanna be Dave

I have taken numbers off tires before but it's very messy and easy to mess them up if you over do it. I used a dremel with a sanding or polishing wheel. It looks like one of those paint remover wheels for a drill. They have several different grit ratings. You will be covered in black dust though. I mean the only thing that wasn't was my eyes.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:58 AM   #66
RCC Addict

I use a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a flap disc to remove lettering/sidewall tread. Just make sure the wheel is firmly held, and don't get greedy with it... stuff happens fast!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:18 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
I use a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a flap disc to remove lettering/sidewall tread. Just make sure the wheel is firmly held, and don't get greedy with it... stuff happens fast!
Yes it does! that's why I started using the dremel. I had one grab and it sucked the grinder into my hand leaving a 3x1" gash in my thumb crotch!

Old 04-28-2018, 09:48 AM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Tires and wheels turned out PERFECT Chris!
Cant wait to see the trailer!
I saw a 1:24 scale trailer at hobby lobby and i was like man where is rick moranis when you need him...

You are inspiring me to get going on the bed topper for my ford...
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:09 AM   #69
RCC Addict

Some iterations of this chassis. It is my best crawler without a doubt - WB4, Codyboy axles, big tires, 1080 ESC, Hackmoto motor, 3s lipo, Trujillo shock mod with outboarded shocks.

The J-concepts body - great for bashing and hard crawling, but not very scale. I have beat the crap out of this one.

And the Axial body fit up to the Ascender...with working lights.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:05 AM   #70
RCC Addict

Seems I haven't updated here for a time....so without further ado...

Trailer project is limping along, I've collected parts to build the frame/base, angle aluminum, springs, wheels and tires, hitch connector, etc. I just haven't been working on it since buying the new Axial Blazer. Yep...went over to the dark side. LOL I'll work on it when the weather cools - garage has been a hundred degrees, and wifey fusses about cluttering up the dining table.

However...I wanted something more 'scale' for my best comp chassis, the one this thread is based on - full length Ascender WB with all the good parts - cody axles, upgraded links and electronics. A ways up thread I put the Chevy MT body on, it's fine, runs great, but looks, well, plain, kind of cheap, and no scale bits. BORRRRINGGGG. LOL I think I got 9 scale points on the last meet. Wow. I can do better than that.

I've been looking for something that I don't mind beating in comps, and can give me good crawling performance. Picked up this Proline Silverado honcho body and re-purposed an extra Chevy K10 rear truggy cage I had on hand from previous builds. The new body is REALLY long. It has as much front overhang as the MT body, but the rear mounts were still at least an inch away from the stock mounting holes in the Ascender rear crossmember. Way long - much longer than the C10 RTR setup. Yeah, Proline says its for a Axial Honcho - their truggy cage must be really short. I don't have one to compare side by side.

Hmmm...what to do...I took a hard look at that cage and figured I could cut about a half inch off each longitudinal tube where they tie into the cab backplate. Out came the dremel, re-drilled the holes to mount them, and voile!! It's a half inch shorter. Now the rear mounts come in right at the back of the chassis crossmember - made a new mounting bracket out of 3/8 aluminum angle, shortened the pegs, and it all works. I also had to add spacers to the rear support tubes under the top rails as the whole thing sits about a half inch higher than the stock C10 cage. Everything lined up with a little luck.

Next remade the spare tire mount with another piece of bent aluminum to move it back since it now won't fit in the stock location, and to look the part.

I present to you Browneye's Silverado Honcho. LOL
Color will be silver with blacked out windows (I don't do interiors for comp) and dark granite gray hood panels. I think it needs some updated beadlock wheels...maybe black ones, or some bling, or something that looks like a modern offroad race wheel. (Vanquish Method 105 in gunmetal gray with black rings are on my shortlist)

Last edited by Browneye; 08-08-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:18 AM   #71
Rock Stacker

Thanks for posting this combo. I have been wondering how it would look. I can't wait to see it with some paint on it.
touch racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:57 PM   #72
I wanna be Dave

im taking notes here to see if i can get the vaterra cage to work on the back of a cab cut rc4wd blazer... ;)
it fits great! and i vote for bronze methods with black beadlocks. that would look KILLER.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:49 PM   #73
RCC Addict

Trying to find out of I can get 5 of these:

And I have a email request for these when they come off backorder...

For former are half the price as the latter.
Bronze is an idea...as would be aluminum with red rings. Kind of up in the air - may wait to get paint on it and see what I think. It may well need a highlight color, so something besides silver or black may well be what will look best.

Last edited by Browneye; 08-09-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:21 AM   #74
RCC Addict

It got painted...

Old 08-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Looks pretty fancy. Something different than the run of the mill ascenders! I like it!

Old 08-14-2018, 10:10 AM   #76
RCC Addict

I've gotten a few sets of wheels from this ebay vendor - they have a LA warehouse as well as ship direct from China. Everything has been outstanding.
And he's been good about selling me one wheel for a spare, or adding one to a set - so five of these are on their way from China.
His ebay store in case anyone is interested:
https://www.ebay.com/str/bmw-sticker...p2047675.l2563

These look an awful lot like the Vanquish Method 105 wheels for about half the price. I guess you could call them a 'knock-off'. $120 for a set of wheels for my 'toy' is a bit much for my tastes. 5 of of these were $64 shipped. I think it's going to finish the 'look' of my Silverado rock crawler.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:38 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Very nice wheels!

(I'll confess that I'm not a fan of the ones currently on there, they just don't do the rest of the truck justice - not scale looking)
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:23 PM   #78
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Very nice wheels!

(I'll confess that I'm not a fan of the ones currently on there, they just don't do the rest of the truck justice - not scale looking)

I'll confess...I agree. LOL
Old 09-13-2018, 09:37 AM   #79
RCC Addict

Wheels finally arrived from China - 5 of them!!
And a LED light set. Check out these headlights

The new Axial Blazer came with some neat light buckets that I'm not using on it, but work great for this body. Taillight buckets that fit great for 3mm led's, and headlight buckets I shaved down to fit the contour. I had pre-masked the light area and simply cut out the front decal where the light should be. They look like xenon bulbs in there! Harness connects to a cheapo controller in channel 3 on the receiver.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:42 AM   #80
RCC Addict

Very nice! Those headlights are legit!

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Browneye JK Unlimited/K5 Blazer (Build) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1986 Chevrolet K-5 Blazer Ascender & Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon LandOfTheEagle Scale Videos! 1 12-03-2016 04:49 PM
Tom G's Unlimited Build Tom G Unlimited Class Crawlers 18 11-27-2015 08:46 AM
Jeeper's JK Unlimited Build Jeeper95 Axial SCX-10 10 01-19-2014 06:21 PM
YJ Unlimited Build yj300hp 1.9 Scale Rigs 1 01-23-2012 11:38 PM
JK Unlimited Build (WIP) BrianP 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 10-15-2011 07:01 PM