Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Browneye JK Unlimited/K5 Blazer (Build)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2018, 02:05 PM   #81
wyd
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Browneye JK Unlimited/K5 Blazer (Build)

Wow your truck looks great with the newer style Chevy body. Your paint you did matches great with your wheels.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2018, 01:15 AM   #82
RCC Addict

I was having trouble finding those wheels and others on eBay, then I discovered AliExpress!

Axspeed was the aliexpress brand that had all the China wheels, in many colours and easy to order in what ever number you need.
Yeti.stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:16 AM   #83
RCC Addict

Okay so now that winter has finally set in here in so-CAL (it's actually raining today LOL) I've been pulling more parts together for my vintage trailer build. I have frame material, plywood for sides and floor, and a couple of full-size templates printed out from Illustrator make the side profile. And I need some advice on material if anybody has some ideas...

The siding material for a AirFloat trailer is pretty easily replicated from Everygreen Scale in styrene. They have smooth and corrugated that would replicate it perfectly. However in asking wifey's opinion (yes, a mistake I know LOL) she much prefers the little Shasta trailer over the Airfloat. I'm good with either, but having a very difficult time figuring out a way to replicate the aluminum siding like the Shasta trailer has. Any suggestions? How 'bout opinions on disirability of either design from a scale perspective?

If I can't come up with a suitable option for the siding on the Shasta I may just have to opt for the Airfloat design instead. They have an interesting history, very popular right after the war, and made right here in Los Angeles, up t'ill 1957 when the owner passed and the company ceased operation. I was born that year. LOL These trailers have a LOT of character!

Everybody recognizes Shasta trailers - an iconic classic. AKA 'canned ham' trailers.

So you don't have to go back to page 3 for trailer types, here are the two full size images for each trailer style. Notice the siding on each - the Shasta is the one giving me fits.

I also picked up a 66 Chevy body to do a towing rig for it. Complete with white steelies and turquoise and white '1957' color paint.

Airfloat:

Shasta:

Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:29 AM   #84
RCC Addict

No ideas for siding eh? I'm not sure what to do. Maybe use balsa strips and sand the edges to give that aluminum panel look.
Or glue foil to foam and indent it - would be awfully fragile.

On another note....I have a tow-rig body for it now. Was over at friends for a bbq this weekend and he used to be real active in RC, not so much now. But check out this body - a long discontinued Axial 53 Chevy pickup. My eyes popped out of my head..."You wanna sell it?" He said 'You can have it'!!

It has been painted with standard enamel so it's all flaking off inside. I doubt I can get all that paint off, but I can always paint the outside. Where else do you get a 50's chevy????

11-1/2" wheelbase - and I have the chassis from my old Jeep Wrangler build that I'm not running anymore. Easy conversion and setup for a towing rig.

I just set it on my Axial Blazer chassis here - it's 12" WB. Gonna work perfect once setup and painted.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:36 AM   #85
RCC Addict

So my Silverado-Vaterra has been hammered on for nearly a year and I thought I would get a replacement body and restore this one. Proline has discontinued it!!
RPP had one in stock so ordered it. If you ever thought you wanted this late model Silverado you better get one while you can - they'll be unobtanium!!

Old 07-08-2019, 01:56 PM   #86
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
So my Silverado-Vaterra has been hammered on for nearly a year and I thought I would get a replacement body and restore this one. Proline has discontinued it!!
RPP had one in stock so ordered it. If you ever thought you wanted this late model Silverado you better get one while you can - they'll be unobtanium!!

I've debated this cab a few times, since it is most like my current daily driver ('18 Sierra). But, I've always decided against it, due to the sticker grille, as well as some of the points you made above in this thread. It's a fairly long cab (especially compared to my Vaterra K10 reg cab), with a lot of front overhang as well.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:59 PM   #87
RCC Addict

The front approach is good, but yeah, it's a long body. Even shortening the truggy cage a half inch it was still nearly an inch longer than the stock K10, and that's even on WB4.
I have the 66 Chevy Pickup body set as well and thought about using the cab, but it would take a lot of refitting to make it work. I could use the truggy cage from my original K10 for that.

I was just shocked to see it discontinued. I had stopped by my LHS as they always have one on the rack, but they were out. Got home and went to order and had trouble finding them at all. Then found Proline lists them as discontinued! I better order one NOW before they're all gone.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:18 AM   #88
I wanna be Dave

That Axial B17 Betty pickup body is gold! Wish I hadn't comp cut mine all up! Still got most of the sticker sheet though, outside paint it.

Wow, Proline at it constantly discontinuing things, better buy several.

Last edited by Natedog; 07-09-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Browneye JK Unlimited/K5 Blazer (Build) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1986 Chevrolet K-5 Blazer Ascender & Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon LandOfTheEagle Scale Videos! 1 12-03-2016 04:49 PM
Tom G's Unlimited Build Tom G Unlimited Class Crawlers 18 11-27-2015 08:46 AM
Jeeper's JK Unlimited Build Jeeper95 Axial SCX-10 10 01-19-2014 06:21 PM
YJ Unlimited Build yj300hp 1.9 Scale Rigs 1 01-23-2012 11:38 PM
JK Unlimited Build (WIP) BrianP 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 10-15-2011 07:01 PM