Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Vaterra Ascender Battery Tray

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2018, 07:49 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Vaterra Ascender Battery Tray

This is my first Ascender and was wondering if any way to relocate battery or if a aftermarket battery tray exists.
98sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2018, 07:56 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Vaterra Ascender Battery Tray

There are a few ways: First and easiest is to remove the connecting point at the axle and mount the tray between the shock towers. You can lay a full-size (~5000 mah) battery across the back side of the shock towers but this would likely mean completely removing the stock tray and finding something to use as a bracket/plate for the battery to rest and mount to. Lastly, BPCustoms makes a relocation tray. This is the route I'm going with one of my K5's. I have it in my basement, just haven't gotten around to installing it. Both of mine currently still run the stock trays so I can't really help with pics.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ascender'nMN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:57 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Here is the link to the BPCustoms tray:

http://bpcustomchassis.com/webstore....egory=11952176

Old 02-18-2018, 08:07 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

So does this kit also relocate the servo as well. Mine mounts side to side in frame rail. its the k10 version
Old 02-18-2018, 08:24 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

On their website it says it can by used on the shortest WB but you would likely have to turn your servo. Since you bought the K10, I don't know that you got the pieces to rotate the servo. I've only bought the kit version so I'm not sure what spare parts are included in RTR's. That said, Horizon sells the parts and if you talk to the right guys on here, someone might have the parts laying around.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:49 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascender'nMN84 View Post
On their website it says it can by used on the shortest WB but you would likely have to turn your servo. Since you bought the K10, I don't know that you got the pieces to rotate the servo. I've only bought the kit version so I'm not sure what spare parts are included in RTR's. That said, Horizon sells the parts and if you talk to the right guys on here, someone might have the parts laying around.

The Bronco, F-100 and K10 all come with that plastic part, but you can only run the servo parallel with the frame rails on wb3 and wb4. Not sure if you can with the BPCC plate... Check out a lot of the build threads, a few have these and can help you out...also check YouTube for Ascender battery tray mods also.

As mentioned above there are a couple companies that offer battery relocation.

JC Autodesign

BP Custom Chasiss (Ascender)

BP Custom Chassis (Universal)

Last edited by ScoJac; 02-18-2018 at 09:49 AM. Reason: spelling
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:41 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Where can i find the wheel base chart at. This is my first ascender so i have no clue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2018, 11:46 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

So the k10 is a 290mm wheelbase from what vaterras website shows. So factory it runs the wheelbase number 2

Old 02-18-2018, 11:48 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quick reference of links and frame positions HERE.

And here is the Instruction Manual for the Blazer Kit which cover building all 4 wheelbases.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:52 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98sierra View Post
So the k10 is a 290mm wheelbase from what vaterras website shows. So factory it runs the wheelbase number 2

Correct.

Bronco WB1 - 278mm

K10 & F-100 WB2 - 290mm

Blazer WB4 - 313mm
Old 02-18-2018, 11:53 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoJac View Post
Correct.

Bronco WB1 - 278mm

K10 & F-100 WB2 - 290mm

Blazer WB4 - 313mm
Wonder why the blazer gets a longer wheelbase?

Old 02-18-2018, 12:34 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I believe the only reason they use the sideways servo mount on the 2 shorter wheelbases is to clear the floating battery tray.
If your not using that tray it won't matter how u mount the servo, if your modifying a Bronco, K10 or F100 you will also need to replace the steering link from servo to the hub with the longer link from the Blazer.
Yeti.stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Since you are running the K10, if you'd like you can sneak a peek at my Ascender modding thread where I installed the BPC Universal battery tray...

I now have room to run the bigger motor can - I have a Holmes Hobbies 550 can in mine, really wakes it up!

Ummm...

Here's the specific thread for the battery tray:

BPC Battery Relocation Tray - Ascender K10 - Stock WB(2)
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:48 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Here is what i did.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:27 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Wonder why the blazer gets a longer wheelbase?
Welcome to RCC and congrats on your new Ascender! WB4 is to get the long 12.3" or so wheelbase used by many manufacturers and bodies available on the market, it also climbs very well and is maximum length per some crawling rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti.stealth View Post
I believe the only reason they use the sideways servo mount on the 2 shorter wheelbases is to clear the floating battery tray.
If your not using that tray it won't matter how u mount the servo, if your modifying a Bronco, K10 or F100 you will also need to replace the steering link from servo to the hub with the longer link from the Blazer.
That and to clear suspension/steering links and servo horn to clear chassis rails etc. Yes on the steering draglink being different, there are two lengths, Bronco, K10 and F100 user the shorter length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Since you are running the K10, if you'd like you can sneak a peek at my Ascender modding thread where I installed the BPC Universal battery tray...

I now have room to run the bigger motor can - I have a Holmes Hobbies 550 can in mine, really wakes it up!
Good advice and I really like the 550 21T motors especially on 3S. BPC also makes a very nice battery tray specifically for the Protek LIHV 3500mah 3S battery, but I didnt' see it on his site last time I looked.

Quote:
Here is what i did.
That works too, but if you mount it crossway on the chassis you'll get the weight down much lower and will crawl lots better. Also can use smaller battery and then get your existing mount down lower too.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:29 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti.stealth View Post
I was wondering why the servo changed direction based on WB choice, but that makes PERFECT sense. I've definitely seen a Bronco running the BPCUSTOMS tray for the Ascender, either here or the Book of Faces, so a K-10/F-100/WB2 should be no problem based on that information.

Each of my built Ascenders are WB4 with Blazer shells and have the servo in different positions. Original is in the standard front-back and the 2nd is sideways for clearance purposes. No performance difference that I've been able to notice.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:27 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Okay have another question for you guys.
Noticed today the approach angle for the front bumper was horrible. I see plenty of bumpers are made but wanted to ask which one yall have tried out for best results and for the rear.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:59 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

If you mount a full size battery perpendicular to the frame like with the BPC tray, won’t it cause interference with the tires when steering?
twentyniner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:08 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyniner View Post
If you mount a full size battery perpendicular to the frame like with the BPC tray, won’t it cause interference with the tires when steering?
Negative. Should be plenty of clearance. There are links to all the options mentioned.

Vaterra Ascender Battery Tray - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BPC Battery Relocation Tray - Ascender K10 - Stock WB(2) durok Vaterra Ascender 7 10-31-2019 10:06 AM
3D Printed Ascender K10 Battery Tray robertjpjr Vaterra Ascender 0 01-26-2018 07:23 PM
Ascender battery tray options. Lmackattack Vaterra Ascender 7 02-05-2015 06:14 PM