RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Vaterra Ascender (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-ascender/)
-   -   Single or 2 Speed (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-ascender/595763-single-2-speed.html)

Rich Trujillo 02-22-2018 02:03 PM

Single or 2 Speed

I've posted this on a couple of FB groups and wanted to post this here too.

How about a just for fun poll. Please don't read too much into this poll, I'm just curious what you Ascender owners think. On my personal rigs, I still use the single speed with 3S power, so i gotta ask...
How important is the 2 speed transmission to you?
Please feel free to post up the power/motor/trans setup.
Thanks,
Rich
Please note, Its based on our current rig and not what you would like to have (ie OD/UD etc)

Also, if you choose option 3, you need a transmitter system that will operate a 3rd channel, the stock RTR Transmitter will not work.

SHOme 02-22-2018 02:14 PM

Re: Single or 2 Speed

I switched to the two speed on my Ascender and I'll be switching it back there's too much slop.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JatoTheRipper 02-22-2018 02:17 PM

Single speed. With the right ESC/motor and gearing there's no need for 2 speed IMHO.

tuanies 02-22-2018 02:31 PM

I don't have an Ascender, but I have a 10.2 and TRX-4. I converted the 10.2 to 2-speed and regret it. I feel like its a waste of money for a feature I never use. I rarely ever put my TRX-4 in high gear either. Its one of those things that is cool to have, but when you finally get it, its rarely used.

M1tch 02-22-2018 02:52 PM

Single speed on 3s works fine for me. A cool idea would be for someone to make a smaller transmission case for single speed as the stock case is pretty big.

Natedog 02-22-2018 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHOme (Post 5803830)
I switched to the two speed on my Ascender and I'll be switching it back there's too much slop.k

Agreed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by M1tch (Post 5803854)
Single speed on 3s works fine for me. A cool idea would be for someone to make a smaller transmission case for single speed as the stock case is pretty big.

X2, on 3S and great idea to make a smaller transmission case for the single speed! While doing that, please lay the gears and shafts down as low as possible. "thumbsup"

Disco hair 02-22-2018 05:04 PM

Single

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeti.stealth 02-22-2018 06:31 PM

I’m on the fence about the 2 speed, always wanted it on my Ascender, only use 2s in comps and have only ever wished for more wheel speed a few times, even then if I was running 3s I would of had all the speed i could ever need for comp crawling! Non of the other guys I crawl with have 2 speeds apart from the TRX4 guys, and I don’t think I have seen them use it in a comp....

But 2 speed in the Twin Hammers is fun fun fun! But it’s a completely different animal!

Will think about it and vote soon...

Itali83 02-22-2018 07:28 PM

I have the two speed in both of my ascenders for novilty really. I'm in the process of building a third rig and going single speed. I'm also building my own case to use stock gears but smaller and different shape. So for me, I like the two speeds I have but won't build another one. Too much of a pain parts wise getting everything together, not really needed with the right motor and 3 or 4s setup. So, hypothetically speaking, I'd like to see a smaller transmission case with only single speed in the vaterra ascender 2.0. Hypothetically that is...😉

Ben

OSRC 02-22-2018 07:51 PM

Converted mine to 2 speed and loved it. I only run 2S, so it gave me a nice creeper gear and some trail speed when needed. Plus, I like shifting... gives it some scale driving appeal.

I will add the Vaterra 2 speed has the least slop of any shifting trans I've used. The TRX is right there though so far.

StomperCrawler 02-22-2018 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5803831)
Single speed. With the right ESC/motor and gearing there's no need for 2 speed IMHO.

Ditto

durok 02-22-2018 11:21 PM

I like the simplicity of mine with a single speed, 3S, and a 550 can 21t Holmes brushed motor.

skybolt 02-23-2018 04:35 AM

I prefer single speed, however, if a transmission had a lower internal ratio it would allow for more spur/pinion options.

Shinchu 02-23-2018 10:28 AM

i was lucky enough to get a 2 speed from the previous owner. but its so nice to go from good slow smooth torque, to "hey lets run to the next spot!" and the truck just scurries along briskly. nice capability. if it wasn't a tribute "dont scratch the paint" type truck, i would use it as more of a vintage baja/KOH multi-purpose truck. love it.
This is on 3S HH ESC with a Tamiya 27T brushed and 12 tooth pinion. i have a 35T rc4wd on standby but the 27T hasn't overheated at all, watch my vids it has plenty of low speed control.

if i got another ascender, i would put a 2 speed in that one too.

i voted option #1 but would have also voted #3 if i could.

that said, the way we are doing it now is not terribly difficult. but it would be nice to just order a "2 speed ascender conversion kit" with everything you need in one package, minus servo.

cartronicshn 02-23-2018 10:45 AM

I converted mine to a 2 speed, and lowered the pinion , i can crawl in low speed and have enough speed to cruise around in high speed, i have a trx and love the 2 speed that came with it, i also own a 3 speed tamiya and a og hilux with a 2 speed, i feel that it adds to the realism of the truck that i can shift speeds, but that is my own personal taste. i do use 2s and 3s packs btw.