Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: The rebirth of Slick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2018, 08:26 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default The rebirth of Slick

So, I while back I posted about making some changes to my old faithful ascender "Slick". He is not my only crawler. I have a few different models, but they were all long wheelbase, big tire rigs. I have worked pretty hard tweaking on them to get them all to be good crawlers. Which is good, and bad. I had kind of grown a little bored. So, I decided I needed to change things up to make them interesting again. Slick has always been my favorite, so I decided he would be the best candidate. I am stepping out if my box on this one. I have been lurking around for quite a while, even posted in a couple threads, but decided it was my time to start my own thread. So, here it goes. Like I said, Slick started life as a wd4 K5 Blazer. Over time he has seen a lot of changes. This is how he looked before I started his rebirth.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
slickwill16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2018, 08:39 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: The rebirth of Slick

I decided that this time around I should go with wb1 and small tires. Going for a totally different driving experience. I won't bore everyone with the details of shortening up the wheelbase. I think everyone is up on all that. I had stripped all the electronics at various times for other projects, so I am starting from scratch. So far, I have put in a Holmes Hobbies 550 21t motor, Castle SV3 esc (because I had an extra one laying around), a Traxxas 2075x servo (again, had it laying around from my TRX4), and a Spektrum radio, just to get it rolling. I think the motor will stay, but the rest of it will get swapped out as I decide what I really want in it. Also came up with a set of RC4WD steel wheels and some Pit Bull PBX ats. Have taken it out a couple times so far. Man, this is a totally different experience. I am enjoying learning how to drive this thing. Not sure about a body yet. For now, I had a Vaterra Ford drifter truck body left over, so I trimmed it up to use here. The wheelbase is a little off, but it will do till I figure out exactly what I want. Well, enough of my rambling. I look forward to posting up all my changes. Hope you guys enjoy. Here is a couple pics of how it looks currently.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:39 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

So. I have some updates on Slick. Through some creative trading, he got a heart transplant. Ended up with a Mamba X. And because too much just ain't enough, he got one of those new Castle Slate motors (3800kv...mmmm, speed rocks). Also upgraded the steering servo to a Hitec. That dude has some power. All big improvements, indeed. I also found a set of Proline scaler shocks I had left over from a different project. Swapped them on and ditched the stock ones. I like the lower stance a lot better now. Here is a few quick pics if how he looks now.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:55 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

more great fords!

and your thread title, all i could think of was this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM4kqL13jGM

one of my faves! (back when hip hop was actually GOOD)
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:42 AM   #5
wyd
Rock Crawler

Wow with a 3800kv in that truck will surely have a ton of power. Will give you the big block feel for sure. The 3800 motor was a beast from Castle before it was sensored but not making it sensored makes it even more of a beast.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:05 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Hey guys. Thank you Shinchu. I always did like that song. That's what gave me the idea for the title. WYD, yeah man, that motor is a beast. I dropped my pinion down to a 12t to slow it down a bit. I also tweaked my throttle curve a bit. Now I have got great low speed control and more power than I could ever want. I have finally had a chance to get out and get some crawling done. With the new power plant and the shorter shocks, it is a totally new truck. I can't believe how much better Slick crawls. The lower stance really made it shine. It actually made it up through a particularly nasty spot on one of my usual trails that I have never been able to make with any other truck. I have also been trying out some other tires. I came across a set of RC4WD 1.9 Fuel Mud Gripper tires. They are a little taller than the Pit Bulls. Just trying to figure out which ones I like better. I will share some pics, maybe you guys could chime in on which ones you think look better. My search for a body to match up with this short wheelbase has been exhausting (who am I kidding, that's all part of the fun). I have come up with one that i think might just work. It is a 51 Ford panel wagon meant for monster trucks. The wheelbase matches up, but I am not sure about the width. It's kind of hard to tell with no paint, but I will throw up a couple pics of it too. So far, this "rebirth" has been really invigorating. This has been just what I needed. It has been a blast getting it to this point. And I can't wait to see where it ends up. I have plans to make some upper link risers, and maybe a set of sliders. Not sure what I will do for bumpers. I guess I should probably decide on a body first. Enough of my rambling. Hope you like the pics.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:51 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I like the F100 body that’s on there. The panel truck looks good too, Pro-Line makes a pickup version of the panel truck too.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:21 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

So, I kind of had to put things on hold for a while. I had to go out and spend 2 weeks in Massachusetts for training for work. Wasn't able to bring anything with me to tinker with. It was brutal. But that finally came to an end, and I am back at it. I think I have finally got my body situation figured out. The Panel Wagon was cool, but was just too narrow. I may paint it up anyways and keep it for something to beat around with. You never know. I am constantly changing my mind on things. So, I had picked up one of the clear 68 Ford cab only bodies a while back. As you can probably tell, I am Ford guy. Just don't hold that against me. I really love that body style and wanted yo use it, but wanted to keep my short wb1, so that meant the vaterra rear cage was out. I did some research and found that the Axial Honcho cage is a decent bit shorter. So, I picked one up and started my head scratching. Through a lot of cutting, tweaking, test fitting, and cussing, I finally figured out how to make everything fit together. I am super stoked with the results. I will post a couple pics to show you guys what I came up with. I am pretty sure I have my front bumper figured out. Now, I just have to decide on a color, and make it happen. Also still need to figure out how to attach the cage to the frame, but I don't figure that will be too hard. It is really starting to come together. And I am getting excited. Hopefully soon Slick will be back out on the trails sporting the new body. I do want to give a big thank you to all you guys on here that share all of your knowledge and insight. You know who you are (too many names to list). I don't get a chance to update my thread very often, but at least I make up for it with a lot of semi coherent rambling. Anyways, thanks for reading and most importantly, go out and have some fun.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:23 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Looks good. Gotta love them old Ford's! Can't wait to see it finished!

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:33 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
Looks good. Gotta love them old Ford's! Can't wait to see it finished!

Me too brother...me too. And thank you. I have been following your build with the new 68 Ford on road body. I gotta say that paint job is awesome. You are doing a great job with it. I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts about it when you get it back out on the trails.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:41 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwill16 View Post
Me too brother...me too. And thank you. I have been following your build with the new 68 Ford on road body. I gotta say that paint job is awesome. You are doing a great job with it. I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts about it when you get it back out on the trails.

Thanks I appreciate it. I was planning on getting out this weekend but it looks like we are getting freezing rain so I guess that's out!

Old 05-07-2018, 11:22 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I had picked up one of the clear 68 Ford cab only bodies a while back. As you can probably tell, I am Ford guy. Just don't hold that against me. I really love that body style and wanted yo use it, but wanted to keep my short wb1, so that meant the vaterra rear cage was out. I did some research and found that the Axial Honcho cage is a decent bit shorter. So, I picked one up and started my head scratching. Through a lot of cutting, tweaking, test fitting, and cussing, I finally figured out how to make everything fit together. I am super stoked with the results. I will post a couple pics to show you guys what I came up with. I am pretty sure I have my front bumper figured out. Now, I just have to decide on a color, and make it happen. Also still need to figure out how to attach the cage to the frame, but I don't figure that will be too hard. It is really starting to come together. And I am getting excited.

I missed this update somehow, that looks great on WB1 with cut up Honcho cage and Vaterra Ford cab! Updates please.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:06 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Well guys, it's been a while since I have updated this. Between work and family, there hasn't been much free time. But you all know that old story. I did finally get some paint thrown down on the body and everything put back together. With this rebirth, I was trying to pay tribute to the trucks we used to go hunt coyotes with. They were all purpose built, and rarely used for anything else. The engines were built hot, and chassis were shortened and beefed up. These trucks spent their lives driving full speed through fields, jumping terraces, climbing in and out of some pretty nasty creek beds, and had the ability to turn on a dime if needed. They had to be tough and reliable. I couldn't think of a better platform then the Ascender to meet those requirements. I feel pretty good with how it has turned out so far. I still need to make a platform for the bed. I will also be trying to recreate the harnesses that were in place for us in the back of the truck to hold on to so we didn't fly off. Ouch. I am also going to try my hand at making a fence splitter for the front. Gotta be able to bust through the fences between pastures without destroying your front end. Well, enough of me blabbing. Here are some pics of where Slick sits now. Let me know what ya think so far.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:14 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

And on a different note. I made a trip to my local rc adoption shelter last week. Just happened upon this little guy wagging his tail and giving me the puppy dog eyes. I didn't really need another truck, but when has it ever been about need. So, I figured surely Slick would need someone to play with. If one Ascender is awesome, two would have to be even more awesomer...(pretty sure that's a word, and if not it should be). So, did a little paperwork, and this little fella came home with me. I just hope they play nice together and don't fight.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:15 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well guys, it's been a while since I have updated this. Between work and family, there hasn't been much free time. But you all know that old story. I did finally get some paint thrown down on the body and everything put back together. With this rebirth, I was trying to pay tribute to the trucks we used to go hunt coyotes with. They were all purpose built, and rarely used for anything else. The engines were built hot, and chassis were shortened and beefed up. These trucks spent their lives driving full speed through fields, jumping terraces, climbing in and out of some pretty nasty creek beds, and had the ability to turn on a dime if needed. They had to be tough and reliable. I couldn't think of a better platform then the Ascender to meet those requirements. I feel pretty good with how it has turned out so far. I still need to make a platform for the bed. I will also be trying to recreate the harnesses that were in place for us in the back of the truck to hold on to so we didn't fly off. Ouch. I am also going to try my hand at making a fence splitter for the front. Gotta be able to bust through the fences between pastures without destroying your front end. Well, enough of me blabbing. Here are some pics of where Slick sits now. Let me know what ya think so far.

Looking good! I like the color.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:17 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
And on a different note. I made a trip to my local rc adoption shelter last week. Just happened upon this little guy wagging his tail and giving me the puppy dog eyes. I didn't really need another truck, but when has it ever been about need. So, I figured surely Slick would need someone to play with. If one Ascender is awesome, two would have to be even more awesomer...(pretty sure that's a word, and if not it should be). So, did a little paperwork, and this little fella came home with me. I just hope they play nice together and don't fight.

I think you did the right thing. He looks happy!

Old 07-09-2018, 03:10 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Well guys. I know it has been a while since I have updated this thread. Slick is still alive and kicking. I did however swap out that hot castle setup for a Hobbywing 1080 and a Holmes 550 21t brushed motor. That brushless setup was just too much for his shortened wheelbase. This new combo suits him much better. Also swapped over some different wheels and tires. I like these a little better, but I don't think they will stay. But that's okay, the experimenting is half the fun. Anyways, just wanted to get in a quick update for you all. I want to thank everyone who reads and comments. And most of all, thank everyone who keeps us all up to date on all of these amazing rigs. You guys have a great talent. That's all for now. Now go have fun.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:08 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Looking good. I haven't tried those tires but they look good on there.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:11 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
Looking good. I haven't tried those tires but they look good on there.

Thank you my friend. I like the way they look on there. Trailing performance has been okay so far. I will give them some more time, but I think I may end up going with something a little more aggressive.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:59 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I rather like those tires... Very... Coyote chaser-ish. Looks like a mix of trail grip and go fast. Looking awesome and the platform with harness sounds extremely interesting. You plan on strapping a figure up there? I would love to help with that somehow!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote

The rebirth of Slick - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rebirth for RC old raft guide Newbie General 8 01-04-2014 10:56 AM
Trekker Rebirth... Big Mike Micro Scale Rigs 10 06-29-2012 01:29 AM
Rebirth of The R1 Steve Hipsley G-Made Crawlers 7 02-25-2012 04:31 PM
csc-1 rebirth 87bigblazer 2.2 Scale Rigs 16 02-27-2010 01:59 AM