Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Codyboy's 79 Ford (Rent to Own) Ascender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2018, 10:39 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Codyboy's 79 Ford (Rent to Own) Ascender

Thanks for the pictures and link to Erik DLux' build! I saw the start of his build and hadn't checked back on it lately, good stuff as usual! I've been thinking about eliminating the TT a lot lately and been tinkering, looking back to my OG SCX10 and the tranny flip that killed it for that truck, tranny driveshaft output offset, etc.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2018, 11:20 AM   #42
RCC Addict

Lots of creativity there with chassis geometry.

I may just have to get a FAWD-CAW in the line up as well. That sure looks a lot like that 76 F250 I had for a decade.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:28 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Having read Erik's thread and how well the setup works in a comp crawler, I'm excited to see how it works for the Ascender.

I have only one suggestion: test the clearance on the rear panhard mount with another set of wheels (something with a rear beadlock ring perhaps). The SSD wheels on there now have a ton of rear clearance compared to most 1.9 wheels, fitting the panhard mount so far out on the axle may be an issue with a wheel that doesn't have so much clearance.

Keep up the good work!
Good catch! I checked a couple sets of wheels with rear bead lock rings and the only wheel that I have that don't fit are some RC4WD wheels and that could be mitigated with a couple mm deeper hubs.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:37 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Having read Erik's thread and how well the setup works in a comp crawler, I'm excited to see how it works for the Ascender.

I have only one suggestion: test the clearance on the rear panhard mount with another set of wheels (something with a rear beadlock ring perhaps). The SSD wheels on there now have a ton of rear clearance compared to most 1.9 wheels, fitting the panhard mount so far out on the axle may be an issue with a wheel that doesn't have so much clearance.

Keep up the good work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Thanks for the pictures and link to Erik DLux' build! I saw the start of his build and hadn't checked back on it lately, good stuff as usual! I've been thinking about eliminating the TT a lot lately and been tinkering, looking back to my OG SCX10 and the tranny flip that killed it for that truck, tranny driveshaft output offset, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Lots of creativity there with chassis geometry.

I may just have to get a FAWD-CAW in the line up as well. That sure looks a lot like that 76 F250 I had for a decade.
I will have it with me at the Proline event. I'll do a little testing before to see if I have any obvious bugs or flaws. I'm sure there will be a lot of input at the event. I can't remember what it's like to drive a relatively stock ascender any more. It seems all of mine are hybrids now.
Ernie
Old 05-03-2018, 01:47 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

would the panhard still have enough leverage if you drill/tap a mount on top of the axle on the far end? almost like a leaf spring mount, but with an perpendicular rod end bracket?
that would solve any wheel clearance issues for anyone else looking to do this.
also helps if the axle is sleeved... or already CODYBOY'd ;)
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:36 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
would the panhard still have enough leverage if you drill/tap a mount on top of the axle on the far end? almost like a leaf spring mount, but with an perpendicular rod end bracket?
that would solve any wheel clearance issues for anyone else looking to do this.
also helps if the axle is sleeved... or already CODYBOY'd ;)
Thanks Chris, That was one of my first thoughts, to build something off of the axle. For now what I have is what was easiest for me to put together for now to test the theory to see how it works for our ascenders. Keep those great thoughts and ideas coming!!!
Ernie
Old 05-04-2018, 08:46 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

So Mr Natedog my tester, do you want to try a proto type for my design of a kit for this. You are always spot on with your suggestions. I have some axle orders to work on this week and could throw my ideas together at the same time. Maybe we could have some info together by the time we get to the Proline event. I know as soon as I throw this out there it will be copied, but I guess my main goal is to help make the ascender a little better truck!
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 05-04-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:16 AM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Hey Ernie,
You know I'm in for testing, please! Thanks for the kind words, always looking to help us improve our tiny trucks!
Old 05-04-2018, 11:26 AM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Hey Ernie,
You know I'm in for testing, please! Thanks for the kind words, always looking to help us improve our tiny trucks!
Good! I have it started, may have something to send you tomorrow or Monday. That way you will have time to test before we leave for southern cal. It will be a weighted axle, about 3oz, with the pan hard bracket mounted to the brass, a link and a frame mount. If it works we can refine the design and maybe get FISH do some 3D work for mounts.
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 05-04-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:41 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Sounds great! Probably better with weighted front axle though, which I don't have in my K10?
Old 05-04-2018, 11:51 AM   #51
I wanna be Dave

I run the SSD wheel weights and I made a bracket that bolts to the SSD weights. That might be another option for people who aren't codboy'd up. I'm making a bracket for my sons as his isn't weighted out of the front c-hub. It's the same thing besides the C. I am cutting it down except for the PH bracket. Then I am making a couple frame brackets. I'm sure it won't look as pretty as yours but it should do the trick.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:37 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Hey Ernie,
Quote:
Sounds great! Probably better with weighted front axle though, which I don't have in my K10?
The weighted axle is going to be where I will solder the PH mount to, so I will sent you a front axle also to balance your truck. Will that work?
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 05-04-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:20 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Yes and let me know what I owe you, thanks!
Edit: Couple more stickers would be cool too.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:05 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yes and let me know what I owe you, thanks!
Edit: Couple more stickers would be cool too.
How about $0. And I will add some stickers for you and Paul. Got my new RadioLink RC6GS radio today, so will have it along for some of you guys to test.
It has a nice feel, it will be running this truck.
Ernie
Old 05-04-2018, 02:10 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Perfect....as usual, very generous of you Ernie! Looking forward to checking that new radio in person too. If I can return the favor, let me know.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:48 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Haha thats the same radio i have in my 79 ford! LOL
Its great, zero problems so far but its never been in a crowd...
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:02 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

maybe a set of front shock towers on the rear might be better? to keep the rear panhard inline with the axle. im doing the same thing with my build but my rear axle panhard mount will be a bit different. also my shocks are mounted way forward.

good progress man! is it my eyes or the picture? the t case looks a bit "off" regarding the shafts may not be perfectly parallel.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:05 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Perfect....as usual, very generous of you Ernie! Looking forward to checking that new radio in person too. If I can return the favor, let me know.
Ya, I think we do a pretty job of passing it forward. We'll find something.
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
Haha thats the same radio i have in my 79 ford! LOL
Its great, zero problems so far but its never been in a crowd...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
maybe a set of front shock towers on the rear might be better? to keep the rear panhard inline with the axle. im doing the same thing with my build but my rear axle panhard mount will be a bit different. also my shocks are mounted way forward.

good progress man! is it my eyes or the picture? the t case looks a bit "off" regarding the shafts may not be perfectly parallel.
I took a look at using the front shock tower but it would have pushed my shock back past vertical, so for now this is easier.
Yes the T case is off center, I had some trade offs to limit binding of any of the drive shafts.
Ernie

Hey Nate, all done, and they will go out in the morning. The front came out just a little wider than stock (couple MM) so you may need to put a little spacer in your link. I made a adjustment to the position of the bar mount on the axle so rear bead lock rings should fit with no problem.

Thanks, for testing for me!
Ernie

By the way, both axles are drilled and tapped for the 4-40 screws to secure the link mount a little better. I do this to most all ascender axles I build now. 5/8" 4-40 screws included.

Last edited by CODYBOY; 05-05-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:21 PM   #59
RCC Addict

that looks awesome Ernie I can't wait to see what affect these have on the trucks.

Thank you in advance for the stickers.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:37 PM   #60
RCC Addict

Awesome job Ernie. Way to think outside of the box once again. So many things going on with this truck I can’t wait to see how it does. Here I am rubbing two sticks together still by putting leafs in the rear to combat torque twist.

On the flat skid you got, does it raise the front lower link mounts at all? Only my truck I’m debating how and where the transfer case is going to go. I don’t want to change the link mounts even the slightest because I’ve got the front end geometry where I want it with the stock skid. I’m thinking of keeping the stock skid, grinding out the stock trans mounts in it and kind of recession g the transfer case down in the skid. Will help with driveline angles too. But also like the idea of a flat belly and would double as a nice flat place to mount a transfer case. I just got in the materials for my transmission housing and will hopefully find some time to tinker on that soon.

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Codyboy's 79 Ford (Rent to Own) Ascender - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
80's Ford Ascender smog Vaterra Ascender 205 12-23-2019 04:28 PM
Codyboy's "bulldog bronco" ascender CODYBOY Vaterra Ascender 280 06-04-2018 10:09 AM
Ford Atlas Ascender 2mtech Vaterra Ascender 11 12-04-2016 06:48 AM