Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Codyboy's 79 Ford (Rent to Own) Ascender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2018, 09:33 AM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Codyboy's 79 Ford (Rent to Own) Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
Awesome job Ernie. Way to think outside of the box once again. So many things going on with this truck I can’t wait to see how it does. Here I am rubbing two sticks together still by putting leafs in the rear to combat torque twist.

On the flat skid you got, does it raise the front lower link mounts at all? Only my truck I’m debating how and where the transfer case is going to go. I don’t want to change the link mounts even the slightest because I’ve got the front end geometry where I want it with the stock skid. I’m thinking of keeping the stock skid, grinding out the stock trans mounts in it and kind of recession g the transfer case down in the skid. Will help with driveline angles too. But also like the idea of a flat belly and would double as a nice flat place to mount a transfer case. I just got in the materials for my transmission housing and will hopefully find some time to tinker on that soon.

Ben
Thanks Ben, but I can't take credit for the theory. Erik did all of that testing for that. I did spend a couple days figuring my no math geometry to get it to work on the ascender. The high clearance skids that Fish makes raises the link mounts just a couple MM. For my t-case I mounted a sheet of alum across the frame rails. I wanted to get it lower but then I was getting into binding issues with the three drive shafts. One of those trade offs we sometimes have to make when R&Ding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
that looks awesome Ernie I can't wait to see what affect these have on the trucks.

Thank you in advance for the stickers.
Thanks for the kind words Paul, and me to on seeing how it helps. I will try to get it running this weekend to do some testing. But a order for a couple LOsi axles comes first. My pleasure on the decals. I will have some with me at the Proline event.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2018, 08:13 PM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Hot damn Ernie, that’s great, always glad to test!

Ben, as Ernie said regarding skid plates and drive shaft angles. How’s about using stock skid, get transfer case where it needs to be and cut away excess skid plate below frame rails, fill in with delrin flat plate?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:21 AM   #63
I wanna be Dave

I started testing yesterday with positive results!
We will see how Nate's testing goes next week before we get to excited!
Ernie
Old 05-06-2018, 12:47 PM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Your testing looked great, I’m excited to test too, K10 is waiting!
Old 05-07-2018, 09:17 AM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Your testing looked great, I’m excited to test too, K10 is waiting!
Wow, looks like you should get your axles today, Do I see a late night in your future???
Ernie
Old 05-07-2018, 10:51 AM   #66
I wanna be Dave

speaking of late nights...

this rig have anything for night crawls? that's next for mine!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:07 AM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Wow, looks like you should get your axles today, Do I see a late night in your future???
Ernie
Nice, can't wait and you know I'll be doing some installation!
Old 05-07-2018, 11:23 AM   #68
I wanna be Dave

It's here, that was fast!

Last edited by Natedog; 05-07-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:05 PM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
speaking of late nights...

this rig have anything for night crawls? that's next for mine!
Not yet, I have so much going on between now and when we leave that lights are on the bottom of my to do list. I have them, just not sure I will get them installed.
Ernie
Old 05-07-2018, 05:25 PM   #70
RCC Addict

Quote:
Not yet, I have so much going on between now and when we leave that lights are on the bottom of my to do list. I have them, just not sure I will get them installed.
Ernie
Bring them with you, we can get them installed in our down time. I just finished my integrated magnetic body mount and light set last night, 12 lights total. NO Kits to follow .

Getting excited and going to Nate's tonight
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:31 AM   #71
I wanna be Dave

sounds like a plan!!!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:44 PM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Big thanks to Ernie and Erik DLux for ideas and no fear in cutting stuff up and trying outside the box ideas!

Thanks to Ernie for generously building and sending me a set of axles with rear panhard setup!

In garage and driveway testing this seems to help reduce torque twist, I'll be doing more real world crawl testing. I've done several days of mocking up with different mounts, link lengths/placement, etc. This coupled with Rich's Shock Collar Mod, rear upper link mount changed, etc are all pieces that help improve the Ascender, I'll be running this at Proline By the Fire! BTW, yes I know theres' no screw in the axle link mount in the picture.

Edit: Everything clears even with my lowered fuel cell/rx box.

Last edited by Natedog; 05-11-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:54 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Big thanks to Ernie and Erik DLux for ideas and no fear in cutting stuff up and trying outside the box ideas!

Thanks to Ernie for generously building and sending me a set of axles with rear panhard setup!

In garage and driveway testing this seems to help reduce torque twist, I'll be doing more real world crawl testing. I've done several days of mocking up with different mounts, link lengths/placement, etc. This coupled with Rich's Shock Collar Mod, rear upper link mount changed, etc are all pieces that help improve the Ascender, I'll be running this at Proline By the Fire! BTW, yes I know theres' no screw in the axle link mount in the picture.

Looking good. I still haven't tried the 3 link yet. Have the parts made I just haven't made the conversion I have actually been waiting for you guys to make a report on how it works.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:21 PM   #74
Slow is the new Fast

You have created some really cool parts Ernie. It's fun to see them on people's rigs. Thanks for sharing your work man! You are on a solid Ascender Bender!

Last edited by smog; 05-12-2018 at 06:09 AM.
smog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:46 PM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Your welcome Nate, we will get this all figured out yet! I have checked my side to side travel and I can't feel any binding either side. I even took the springs off the shocks and lifted the chassis and let it settle. Both sides came down even.

A little update for you guys on my testing. First on asphalt, from a dead stop and bonsi starts the chassis wants to twist just a little but no tire lifting at all. Next the test board I built, on the obstacle side when the tires start spinning on to gain traction I can power out of it without the truck wanting to come over or roll. (The board will be fun to play on at the event). I can feel the over under gears in the transfer case really making a difference. When I flipped the board over to the smooth side I needed to increase the angle or the truck just walked right up the board. So when the tires did start searching for traction I could throttle up a little with very little twist. As I increased the angle of the board I could see the right front want to come up a little. If I really punched it the tire would come off the board. TT
I don't think we have it to the point of it being a fix all for the ascender TT but it does help, and with a little help from everyone I think we will see more improvement with the TT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
Looking good. I still haven't tried the 3 link yet. Have the parts made I just haven't made the conversion I have actually been waiting for you guys to make a report on how it works.

So there you have it, improvement but not a fix all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
You have created some really cool parts Ernie. It's fun to see them on people's rings. Thanks for sharing your work man! You are on a solid Ascender Bender!
Thank you for the encouragement and kind words. I've learned so much from this little truck through the last few years. It has been fun for me too!!! And I will now be known as the "The Ascender Bender"!
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 05-11-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:54 PM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Agreed with what Ernie said, also appreciate everyone’s input!

Mgputer, try it!

In garage and driveway testing it seems to help. With longer link like Ernie sent, mine was binding a bit on left rear full compression (articulation ) about last 1/4" of shock travel. Compressing only left rear it binds slightly for last 1/4” of travel, seems like something with link geometry is out of parameter just slightly.

This combined with Rich's shock collar mod, Vaterra stiff rear upper and lower springs, and maybe rulrs definitely improves the TT. Put them all together and it's getting where we want to be! I've played with the setup
on my bench and yard for couple days with all kinds of links mounts etc. I had to buy new shock towers, swap out frame rail that I drilled and filled too much, but it’s getting all buttoned up soon!

Edit: I like this setup!

Last edited by Natedog; 05-12-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:45 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Agreed with what Ernie said, also appreciate everyone’s input!

Mgputer, try it!

In garage and driveway testing it seems to help. With longer link like Ernie sent, mine was binding a bit on left rear full compression (articulation ) about last 1/4" of shock travel. Compressing only left rear it binds slightly for last 1/4” of travel, seems like something with link geometry is out of parameter just slightly.

This combined with Rich's shock collar mod, Vaterra stiff rear upper and lower springs, and maybe rulrs definitely improves the TT. Put them all together and it's getting where we want to be! I've played with the setup
on my bench and yard for couple days with all kinds of links mounts etc. I had to buy new shock towers, swap out frame rail that I drilled and filled too much, but it’s getting all buttoned up soon!

Edit: I like this setup!
I'm thinking of putting it on tonight. I am going out crawling this evening and again tomorrow to see the difference

mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:12 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
I'm thinking of putting it on tonight. I am going out crawling this evening and again tomorrow to see the difference

Keep us posted, OK?
Ernie
Old 05-12-2018, 08:10 PM   #79
RCC Addict

Quote:
Your welcome Nate, we will get this all figured out yet! I have checked my side to side travel and I can't feel any binding either side. I even took the springs off the shocks and lifted the chassis and let it settle. Both sides came down even.

A little update for you guys on my testing. First on asphalt, from a dead stop and bonsi starts the chassis wants to twist just a little but no tire lifting at all. Next the test board I built, on the obstacle side when the tires start spinning on to gain traction I can power out of it without the truck wanting to come over or roll. (The board will be fun to play on at the event). I can feel the over under gears in the transfer case really making a difference. When I flipped the board over to the smooth side I needed to increase the angle or the truck just walked right up the board. So when the tires did start searching for traction I could throttle up a little with very little twist. As I increased the angle of the board I could see the right front want to come up a little. If I really punched it the tire would come off the board. TT
I don't think we have it to the point of it being a fix all for the ascender TT but it does help, and with a little help from everyone I think we will see more improvement with the TT.

So there you have it, improvement but not a fix all!

Thank you for the encouragement and kind words. I've learned so much from this little truck through the last few years. It has been fun for me too!!! And I will now be known as the "The Ascender Bender"!
Ernie
Good data Ernie. I have had a theory on this truck for too long without taking action to build my idea. You definitely have me motivated to start building a axle truss that allows multiple and higher link positions to separate the top and bottom more at the axle.

good stuff!!
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:16 PM   #80
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
Good data Ernie. I have had a theory on this truck for too long without taking action to build my idea. You definitely have me motivated to start building a axle truss that allows multiple and higher link positions to separate the top and bottom more at the axle.

good stuff!!
You GO Paul!!! Glad I could help.

Worked a little on the three link and mounted a 2D drive and co-piolet today, time is catching up with me in being ready for the Proline by the Fire event.

Rock photos,

Some flex and the panhard bar working.

Just about ready for you guys to test at the event. Thanks for looking!
Ernie

I changed out the tires for you Paul!!!

Also changed out the bumper for better approach. The other one looked cool but I wanted a little more function!

Last edited by CODYBOY; 05-12-2018 at 09:26 PM.

Codyboy's 79 Ford (Rent to Own) Ascender - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
80's Ford Ascender smog Vaterra Ascender 205 12-23-2019 04:28 PM
Codyboy's "bulldog bronco" ascender CODYBOY Vaterra Ascender 280 06-04-2018 10:09 AM
Ford Atlas Ascender 2mtech Vaterra Ascender 11 12-04-2016 06:48 AM