Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Codyboy's 79 Ford (Rent to Own) Ascender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2018, 10:26 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Codyboy's 79 Ford (Rent to Own) Ascender

Last edited by Shinchu; 05-12-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2018, 11:02 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
Good data Ernie. I have had a theory on this truck for too long without taking action to build my idea. You definitely have me motivated to start building a axle truss that allows multiple and higher link positions to separate the top and bottom more at the axle.

good stuff!!
You need to build your theory because it should work!

Time crunch, Ernie your truck looks great especially with sensible tires!

I’ve been working with the panhard length and location, still like it. Figured out that my binding was the right rear rear shock hitting frame rail. Easy fix!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:56 AM   #83

I've been following this thread the rear panhard intrigued me. I have an scx10 with ascender axles looking to reduce torque twist. Built a panhard for the rear tested with a three link set-up. In my testing didn't seem to help much so I put four link on with panhard torque twist seemed to be reduced. Would appreciate any thoughts on this.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
I've been following this thread the rear panhard intrigued me. I have an scx10 with ascender axles looking to reduce torque twist. Built a panhard for the rear tested with a three link set-up. In my testing didn't seem to help much so I put four link on with panhard torque twist seemed to be reduced. Would appreciate any thoughts on this.
I think with this set up the geometry and how the rear suspension is sprung will be the key. All we can do is keep trying and communicating about what is and isn't working. Thanks for the input, .
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:59 PM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Redeemed, Panhard with additional 4 link usually binds somewhere and will with the stock geometry, I tested to be sure.

Agreed Ernie.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:57 PM   #86

I’m not experiencing any binding with four link and panhard. I’ll keep you posted when I get more testing done thanks for the input.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:24 AM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Well, I spent most of the day yesterday getting everything ready for our trip to the Proline event. I did do some more testing last night, this is the first time I was able to compare my three rigs on the test board along with a few different tires sets. I must say I'm getting a little frustrated trying to figure this 3 link set up out. Maybe I was just warn out from getting rc stuff ready to travel.
My Ascender that I added the portals to worked awesome! No TT at all there!
Codyboy's 46 Powerwagon Flatbed.
Better get busy, grass to mow, finish loading motor home, and hitting the road about 2:00 today. See all you guys headed to Apple Valley in a couple days.
Ernie.

Last edited by CODYBOY; 05-14-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:17 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Big thanks to Ernie and Erik DLux for ideas and no fear in cutting stuff up and trying outside the box ideas!

Thanks to Ernie for generously building and sending me a set of axles with rear panhard setup!

In garage and driveway testing this seems to help reduce torque twist, I'll be doing more real world crawl testing. I've done several days of mocking up with different mounts, link lengths/placement, etc. This coupled with Rich's Shock Collar Mod, rear upper link mount changed, etc are all pieces that help improve the Ascender, I'll be running this at Proline By the Fire! BTW, yes I know theres' no screw in the axle link mount in the picture. Everything clears even with my lowered fuel cell/rx box.

In garage and driveway testing it seems to help. With longer panhard link like Ernie sent, mine was binding a bit on left rear full compression (articulation ) about last 1/4" of shock travel. Compressing only left rear it binds slightly for last 1/4” of travel, seemed like something with link geometry was out of parameter just slightly. Turned out right shock was hitting frame rail on articulation, easy fix used a spare shock piston to space out both rear upper shock mounts and no more binding/rubbing.

This combined with Rich Trujillo's shock collar mod, Vaterra stiff rear upper and lower springs, and maybe rulrs definitely improves the TT. Put them all together and it's getting where we want to be! I've played with this setup on my bench and yard for couple days with all kinds of links mounts etc. I had to buy new shock towers, swap out frame rail that I drilled and filled too much, but it’s all buttoned up now! So far it seems nice, but will find out on the rocks and trails for sure what needs to be done next.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:45 PM   #89
Wanna get? Gotta want.

So, just some quick thoughts....

On the panhard, it looks to be level when fully compressed. Ideally, you want it to be level at half travel of the shock. You can only do what you can do though but just putting the information out there.

On the upper single link, it looks like it could be triangulated? I think that will cause issues. Another thing that will limit the benefits is that your upper link at the frame is not very far outward from center. Imagine if you put the upper link right in the center of the rig, it will basically have zero effect on the chassis side to side so it wont combat torque twist even a little bit. If you go back and look at my build, this is why my upper link is way far out on the axle and also its way far out on the chassis. I could have put the upper link inside the frame rails but again, that would give less effect so thats why I made them go on the out side.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 03:58 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Great feedback, agreed on panhard but as you said we only have so much room to work with.

Upper single link refers to the panhard or the fore/aft running left rear upper link in stock location?

Full compression.

Full droop travel.

Some sheet steel brackets I started but didn't finish to connect cut up shock tower to frame. Unfortunately it didn't come out too well because I couldn't twist them tight enough to properly clear the frame rails and it was bowing out the shock tower. I had all kinds of scrap servo mounts, angle, box aluminum, plastic pieces trying to brainstorm what to use. Due to my lowered receiver box, I couldn't drill and bolt it to that because it would penetrate the box where the lid screws go. A piece of flexible plastic handle from an old large art portfolio from school serves well once again, just cut the width down to 1/4" and used a leather punch to make screw holes!

Yes, the rear most third hole is drilled an tapped into the frame rail. It all clears the bed/cage, but I want to cut the body mounts off the rear towers for cleaner look and get some flex room for the cage when it goes for a tumble so that it's not bashing the cage up against the rear towers.

Ride height without battery.

Last edited by Natedog; 05-15-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:41 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

That's some nice stuff man
Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Ok, I have time for a little update. Nice to have friends who are venders, a costume high clearance skid. I'm using a t-case so wanted a flat top skid, with no tranny mounting holes.

Nice touch Fish!!!

I have the axles rebuilt with a Codyboy touch. Now adding Lunsford Titanium, and checking for any binding and that I'm getting full travel.

Full travel,

Full compression,

More later, thanks for looking!
Ernie
149 r/c worx/scalerfab/team brood.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:18 AM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Just a little update for this build and the rear 3 link upgrading and refining. This rig found a new home at Pro-Line By the Fire event so I'm going to keep up the testing and trying to make it better in a new build soon. ( After testing at the event the three link is making a difference with the TT, I'll let Nate talk about that in his build). The new owner is Andrew, Chris' nine year old. Boy was he surprised!!!! So hopefully Chris will keep us post on what they do to the truck. I know Andrew has some great ideas on where he wants to do with it.

Ernie
Old 05-22-2018, 11:39 AM   #93
I wanna be Dave

I came for updates on the rear 3 link and I left with a warmed heart.

Ernie for Ascender Man of the Year.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:58 AM   #94
RCC Addict

Ah, what a mate! Getting the young ones addicted earlier. 'Atta boy!
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:04 PM   #95
RCC Addict

That was great Ernie!!!! It was really fun to see such a nice young man be gifted something really awesome.

You should have seen him tearing up the trail on the night run.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:47 PM   #96
Slow is the new Fast

The Ascender Bender strikes again!

What a cool thing to do for a kid, god bless ya!
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:15 PM   #97
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Paul. He really was blasting up the trails with unbelievable ease with his near stock barrage. Kid can drive!

And Ernie... what can i say that i havent said but i will keep saying it anyway... THANK YOU!!!

And i was waiting for you to get home and break the news, i wanted you to have that pleasure, hard as it was to keep the cat in the bag lol now the only question is... post updates here? Or start a new thread for shinchu jr?
First thing we are tackling is the esc that unfortunately let the magic smoke escape on you right when we showed up. I have one in mind, but its nothing fancy. Very affordable, but super effective. Probably obvious what it is.

Cosmetically, we will probably get another 79 ford cab, so as to presrve the original.
Andrew has removed most of the stickers, saying he only wants codyboy stickers and he has new ones that arent scratched. He wants different colors for the new body, but i will save that reveal for later. Finally get to show my skills with a rattle can!
He said "i want another ford cab so i can be in the ford club with you" my boy!
Thanks for thinking of that, Ernie. You nailed it!

Suspension will remain unchanged as it would be crazy to undo the prototype work done here. The rich trujillo shock mod works great and will stay for the life of the truck along with the awesome rear panhard setup.
At most, we will maybe add a winch and lights in the future. It will stay single speed for no fuss driving using the K.I.S.S. method. Oh and scale, scale, scale! Will get scale lugnuts, hubs, bed details, etc including possibly a new interior later on. He is super excited to have a true 1:10 scale truck!

But what of his barrage? Ah, thats another story, for another time... ;)
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:29 PM   #98
RCC Addict

I have a extra dynamite stock esc if you want/need it to get it running.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:31 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
Thanks Paul. He really was blasting up the trails with unbelievable ease with his near stock barrage. Kid can drive!

And Ernie... what can i say that i havent said but i will keep saying it anyway... THANK YOU!!!

And i was waiting for you to get home and break the news, i wanted you to have that pleasure, hard as it was to keep the cat in the bag lol now the only question is... post updates here? Or start a new thread for shinchu jr?
First thing we are tackling is the esc that unfortunately let the magic smoke escape on you right when we showed up. I have one in mind, but its nothing fancy. Very affordable, but super effective. Probably obvious what it is.

Cosmetically, we will probably get another 79 ford cab, so as to presrve the original.
Andrew has removed most of the stickers, saying he only wants codyboy stickers and he has new ones that arent scratched. He wants different colors for the new body, but i will save that reveal for later. Finally get to show my skills with a rattle can!
He said "i want another ford cab so i can be in the ford club with you" my boy!
Thanks for thinking of that, Ernie. You nailed it!

Suspension will remain unchanged as it would be crazy to undo the prototype work done here. The rich trujillo shock mod works great and will stay for the life of the truck along with the awesome rear panhard setup.
At most, we will maybe add a winch and lights in the future. It will stay single speed for no fuss driving using the K.I.S.S. method. Oh and scale, scale, scale! Will get scale lugnuts, hubs, bed details, etc including possibly a new interior later on. He is super excited to have a true 1:10 scale truck!

But what of his barrage? Ah, thats another story, for another time... ;)
If Andrew wants to start a new JR thread you can do that, or just keep this one going. Kind of up to you guys, your truck, your choice.

It was nice getting to meet my new family in person!!! I'm pretty sure we have Rick hooked on crawlers???? Marcia and I both had a great time with you guys and the 5 minute hug I got from Andrew paid me back ten fold for the truck!!!
Ernie
Old 05-22-2018, 11:44 PM   #100
Rock Stacker

Although short, it was great meeting the man behind "codyboy". I'm sad I left without saying goodbye and to tell you,have safe travels back to Oregon. I'll be sure to try and see you on our next trip up there to see our girls. Thanks again for your great product and the support.

Monte from Tehachapi
MPG1959 is offline   Reply With Quote

Codyboy's 79 Ford (Rent to Own) Ascender - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
80's Ford Ascender smog Vaterra Ascender 205 12-23-2019 04:28 PM
Codyboy's "bulldog bronco" ascender CODYBOY Vaterra Ascender 280 06-04-2018 10:09 AM
Ford Atlas Ascender 2mtech Vaterra Ascender 11 12-04-2016 06:48 AM