Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Codyboy's 79 Ford (Rent to Own) Ascender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2018, 01:25 AM   #101
RCC Addict

Default Re: Codyboy's 79 Ford (Rent to Own) Ascender

Sounds like you all had a great time!

Ernie, you sir are awesome!
Yeti.stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2018, 08:51 AM   #102
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I came for updates on the rear 3 link and I left with a warmed heart.

Ernie for Ascender Man of the Year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
Ah, what a mate! Getting the young ones addicted earlier. 'Atta boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
That was great Ernie!!!! It was really fun to see such a nice young man be gifted something really awesome.

You should have seen him tearing up the trail on the night run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
The Ascender Bender strikes again!

What a cool thing to do for a kid, god bless ya!

[QUOTE=MPG1959;5834724]Although short, it was great meeting the man behind "codyboy". I'm sad I left without saying goodbye and to tell you,have safe travels back to Oregon. I'll be sure to try and see you on our next trip up there to see our girls. Thanks again for your great product and the support.

Monte from Tehachapi[/QUOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti.stealth View Post
Sounds like you all had a great time!

Ernie, you sir are awesome!
Thanks for the kind words my Ascender Buddies!!!! The Way I look at this is it is all about passing it forward. I feel I have so many things to feel blessed for and to be where I am with my little battle with cancer. Things are good for now with it. I'm so lucky to have a few skills and a nice shop that allows me to make a little money building the parts that I do! We don't put food on the table or need it to live on and I only need so many trucks and parts to have fun. So it allows me to "Pass it Forward" when I want and when I see a great opportunity to make someone happy!!! Like I said the hug and tears of joy from Andrew paid me for the truck ten fold. I don't do it for the pats on the back, I do it because it gives me a forum to promote passing it forward and it makes me feel darn good. If we want to keep this hobby growing we need to help each other as much as we can.

Monte, we came through Tehachapi on our way to the Valley but I didn't know how to get a hold of you. Thanks for the nice words and well wishes and I would be very disappointed if you came to Oregon and didn't stop by. You or any of you other Ascender Guys are welcome any time!

Ernie and Marcia
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #103
I wanna be Dave

yeah i will probably start a new thread with this one linked in the first post.
and yes it was incredibly nice to finally meet. everyone was so warm and positive. such a nice weekend! and yes, rick has been researching since we got back. he is really teetering between ascender and scx10II. i might persuade him since the cool cat kits are on sale right now and he does seem to go for kits and he's already got a dx4c tx for his yeti.
i get to help TWO people build rigs! and i have plans for the barrage that is now open as a loaner truck... i'll probably start a thread in the 1.55 section for that. busy busy!

its amazing how valuable a hug can be.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:08 AM   #104
Rock Crawler

man, I lurk in the ascender section and I've chimed in on a few occasions elsewhere about how tight knit and helpful the ascender guys are... but I can't hold back about this...

This is the coolest thing I've seen on here. It really makes me want to buy one just to be a part of it. Your group here is amazingly helpful. Any of you guys have multiple and want to swap for an axial product of some kind?
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:34 AM   #105
I wanna be Dave

i have a recently available barrage?
nah, got plans for that also. going to be our loaner zuki i mean truck

but yeah i was NOT expecting this. Ernie just says "here this is for Andrew" hands me the lateral rear test rig and I'm like "uh say what now?!"
followed by LOTS of hugs.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:11 AM   #106
Rock Crawler

Super bummed I couldn't be there now.... All the feels. Hopefully next year I'll be able to swing the trip. Still debating taking the family to Crawlapalooza in Oklahoma this October.

I'll x2 Chris's statement of "Thank you". Thank you for being awesome. They broke the mould after you were made sir. I'll never forget the pure joy and happiness Link had when he helped me unload the cars out of his mom's car and saw his very own Slash conviently placed at the bottom of the pile of cars and bags. Still get that feeling when I look at it on the shelf or watching him rip it up and down the block and I know once Andrew gets his own thread going, you'll have that with this truck. I know I'll be following the journey of this truck for sure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ascender'nMN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:40 PM   #107
I wanna be Dave

that's awesome. I wish I could have had a hand in part of this gifting. its been awhile since something like this happened. now, get back to beating that cancer! and maybe some building.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:33 AM   #108
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
So, just some quick thoughts....

On the panhard, it looks to be level when fully compressed. Ideally, you want it to be level at half travel of the shock. You can only do what you can do though but just putting the information out there.

On the upper single link, it looks like it could be triangulated? I think that will cause issues. Another thing that will limit the benefits is that your upper link at the frame is not very far outward from center. Imagine if you put the upper link right in the center of the rig, it will basically have zero effect on the chassis side to side so it wont combat torque twist even a little bit. If you go back and look at my build, this is why my upper link is way far out on the axle and also its way far out on the chassis. I could have put the upper link inside the frame rails but again, that would give less effect so thats why I made them go on the out side.
Yes, I'm working on getting the panhard level at mid-travel about my ride height setting.

Yes, upper fore/aft link is still triangulated in it's original mounting spots. I've got that figured out, but wanted to drive it more to see how each change affects handling, now I've got several days on it and will make the change and observe again. Thinking how to move the panhard upper link mount outwards more, got the axle end mount figured but need to change it. Thanks for the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Just a little update for this build and the rear 3 link upgrading and refining. This rig found a new home at Pro-Line By the Fire event so I'm going to keep up the testing and trying to make it better in a new build soon. ( After testing at the event the three link is making a difference with the TT, I'll let Nate talk about that in his build). The new owner is Andrew, Chris' nine year old. Boy was he surprised!!!! So hopefully Chris will keep us post on what they do to the truck. I know Andrew has some great ideas on where he wants to do with it.

Ernie
Very nice of you and looking forward to your fresh build using these concepts! My K10 climbs very well, up granite slabs that we almost couldn't walk up. It still has some torque twist, but does not try to flip itself to the left and off the rocks. Rear suspension is much freer to move and flex, angled step ups and crossed up climbs don't flip it over as easily. Sidehilling is better too. I'm very happy with the improvements so far, running Ascender firm rear upper/lower springs, Trujillo Shock Collar Mod (rear only, but am going to do front too), and Erik D'Lux/Ernie Codyboy rear panhard setup, only going to get better with more tuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I came for updates on the rear 3 link and I left with a warmed heart.

Ernie for Ascender Man of the Year.
X2, Ascender Bender of the Year.

I'm still sorting through a ton of pictures and will post some later.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:25 PM   #109
I wanna be Dave

Forgot to say that I drove this truck at the event and it's very predictable, planted, stable, crawls very nicely.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:03 PM   #110
Quarry Creeper

Natedog, have you seen the Panhard mount that Wertymade sells, looks like you can mount it inside the frame rail with a little filing and the included spacers ? Might be worth checking it out if you are getting movement from the shock tower.
A bit spendy, but might be easy to make one also.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/wertyma...-wm-40/p693784

ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:00 PM   #111
I wanna be Dave

Looks pretty nice, hadn't seen that thanks! That could be turned either way with a little work, but more outboard is better, not a bad price considering what you get.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:13 PM   #112
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
So, just some quick thoughts....

On the panhard, it looks to be level when fully compressed. Ideally, you want it to be level at half travel of the shock. You can only do what you can do though but just putting the information out there.

On the upper single link, it looks like it could be triangulated? I think that will cause issues. Another thing that will limit the benefits is that your upper link at the frame is not very far outward from center. Imagine if you put the upper link right in the center of the rig, it will basically have zero effect on the chassis side to side so it wont combat torque twist even a little bit. If you go back and look at my build, this is why my upper link is way far out on the axle and also its way far out on the chassis. I could have put the upper link inside the frame rails but again, that would give less effect so thats why I made them go on the out side.

I thought that since Chris is going to help Andrew start a new build thread for the 79 Rent to Own Ford I thought I would continue my work on the three link mod in this one.

I bought one of the $249 K5s before we left for the Pro-Line event, so it will get the Codyboy treatment. Erik had some good input in his post above so I've started working on the no triangulation uppers for the front and rear. For now I'm planning on having the uppers on the outside of the chassis. I'll have some photos tomorrow after I figure out geometry, angles, and clearances.

Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 05-28-2018 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:13 PM   #113
I wanna be Dave

Im doing the same thing with my cheap trail truck. If you need some 3d design goodness to have printed for your upper links, let me know. I can send a stl. File your way.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2018, 08:33 AM   #114
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
Im doing the same thing with my cheap trail truck. If you need some 3d design goodness to have printed for your upper links, let me know. I can send a stl. File your way.

I'm working on some upper link mounts, but would like to see what your doing! I have no skills when it comes to 3D design so I will entertain any help in that department.
Ernie
Old 05-29-2018, 09:01 AM   #115
I wanna be Dave

Alright. I should have a design ready for you by the end of the day.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:09 PM   #116
I wanna be Dave

so ive got.. I think a total of 3 different parts, but a total of 8 parts in one file. 1 part I left as a blank, so it can be shaped how you want it. and so you could tell me weather or not some changes need to be made.

p.s. these are not for sale. so if you come across this post and want / need these mounts, I have the stl. file ready to send you at no cost.

Last edited by CM9000; 05-29-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:08 PM   #117
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
so ive got.. I think a total of 3 different parts, but a total of 8 parts in one file. 1 part I left as a blank, so it can be shaped how you want it. and so you could tell me weather or not some changes need to be made.

p.s. these are not for sale. so if you come across this post and want / need these mounts, I have the stl. file ready to send you at no cost.

Do these slide over the turned Ascender housings? Look nice!
Old 05-29-2018, 06:31 PM   #118
I wanna be Dave

Here is photos of what I have been working on the last couple days..
Brass inserts for the axles.

I'm upgrading to Codyboy steering, and plan on using wraith chubs and knuckles for the front. The uprights are machined VP parts for the Twin Hammer.

Maybe, not sure I want to do that much weight up front!

OK, things are starting to get interesting!!! This is all still in mock up stage.

The rears are turned for ascender lockouts.

Still planning on putting the upper link on the outside of the chassis. Erik mentioned that we should try to get it as far from chassis center as possible.

So far the only thing I can see is maybe needing to out board the shocks.

If anyone can see something that I've missed, please chime in .

Like I said, this is a fitting mock up, I'll start putting the axles together tomorrow.

Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 05-29-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:48 PM   #119
I wanna be Dave

yes, those would be for the turned down housings and keeping the upper links straight on the inside of the rails. I use tinker cad a lot. the only downside is not being able to put a chamfer on something without having to do 30 minutes of math, copy, paste, join, and so on.

though.. im digging your panhard mounts! those look awesome. I think it would be a lot easier to use turned down housings that way you can place the mounts for everything right where you need them.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:59 PM   #120
I wanna be Dave

Those look like twin hammers uprights. Very interesting.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote

Codyboy's 79 Ford (Rent to Own) Ascender - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
80's Ford Ascender smog Vaterra Ascender 205 12-23-2019 04:28 PM
Codyboy's "bulldog bronco" ascender CODYBOY Vaterra Ascender 280 06-04-2018 10:09 AM
Ford Atlas Ascender 2mtech Vaterra Ascender 11 12-04-2016 06:48 AM