Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Codyboy's 79 Ford (Rent to Own) Ascender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2018, 10:52 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Codyboy's 79 Ford (Rent to Own) Ascender

I pick this up last month and plan to do a simple, mild ascender build.
Well maybe not that simple or mild but I think it should be a fun build.

Motor forward-
Over/under gears-
Shock mod-
2700 KV Holmes Puller stubby-
A different version of Codyboy axles/steering (SORRCA legal)-
Small tires version-
12" wheel base-
Might be a Rootbeer hauler-
Link riser Codyboy sliders-
Servo winch-
And hopefully a fun driver. Might be my rent to own driver.

I plan on having it, my Ascender portal PowerWagon , and Old Rusty Crusty TRX4 at the Proline by the Fire event in May.
Now I will get a couple photos.

And built front and rear axles.

More as it is completed.
Thanks for looking!

Last edited by CODYBOY; 04-02-2018 at 11:30 AM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2018, 12:25 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Codyboy's 79 Ford (Rent to Own) Ascender

you already know i approve! lol

cant wait to see how this goes...
how are the regular axles not SORRCA legal?

really want to see how that stubby works out. it would make plenty of room with the motor forward kit so you can fit the RC Nerds 79 dashboard!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:57 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

brass cant show its true color before the truck hits the course. how are you going to od/ud this thing? t case or using portals? or rear only portals? or what about the twin hammers rear? or combination of all of the above?
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:41 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post

you already know i approve! lol

cant wait to see how this goes...
how are the regular axles not SORRCA legal?

really want to see how that stubby works out. it would make plenty of room with the motor forward kit so you can fit the RC Nerds 79 dashboard!
I knew you would like it Chris!!! You may like it a little more when you see the paint job I have in mind.
I tried the 2700 in my Powerwagon build, it seemed to be cogging just a little so I pulled it and put in a 13T crawlmaster with a 1080 esc, and it was a perfect fit! So I made some adjustments to the Trailmaster ESC and will try it in this one.
Do you have a link to their site for the 79 parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
brass cant show its true color before the truck hits the course. how are you going to od/ud this thing? t case or using portals? or rear only portals? or what about the twin hammers rear? or combination of all of the above?
I'm building a transfer case with 15t, 16t, and for the front is a 19t 32 pitch pinions. Some day I may try a Hammer rear in a ascender build.

Ernie
Old 04-03-2018, 09:07 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

oh, just the brass showing? heh. got that covered. literally. gave my axles a good dose of flat black rattle can when i blew it apart for shortening the frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Do you have a link to their site for the 79 parts?

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rc_n...F-150+1979&s=0
Old 04-03-2018, 09:30 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
oh, just the brass showing? heh. got that covered. literally. gave my axles a good dose of flat black rattle can when i blew it apart for shortening the frame.

Oh my, that's awesome. Guess I should have went with the 79. Wow is all I can say.

Though I bet I could use them on the other rig I'm building for my daughter with a little modifications.

Last edited by mgputer; 04-03-2018 at 09:32 AM.
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:31 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

and maybe for the door logo...? ;)

Old 04-03-2018, 09:42 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Thanks Chris, The other part of the SORRCA thing is I switched from a bolt on brake weight on the knuckle to a SSD weighted knuckle. I think in most cases it would only be a issue at a big SORRCA sponsored event. Most local and Big type "fun" comps are pretty lenient on issues like this. I just wanted to offer a Codyboy steering axle that would fit that big SORRCA event.

Now to a small update;

Mounted the motor forward set up from GCM. Not sure if I'm going with the two speed or single tranny. With the Holmes puller I'm not sure I need the 2 speed for trailing and a G6 type event. Any thoughts on this from you guys is welcome????

The other thing in this photo is the shock work. I did the mod that Rich showed us last month, I turned down the collars on the lathe, they turned out pretty slick. Right now I have silver and silver springs. When I broke down the shocks to upgrade the O-rings I did a little work the piston holes. I notched one piston hole with a 1.5 drill bit so the e-clip doesn't block the hole anymore. The other hole I drilled out with the 1.5 bit and then made sure to clean all the oil off everything. Next I positioned the two e-clips so the openings are straddling the second whole and secured them in place with a little adhesive so they can't turn and block the holes. Next was adding 25w oil in the front and 27.5w in the rear. Once I get it running I will tune as needed. More to come, .
Ernie
Old 04-03-2018, 09:57 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

in my recent experience with the 2 speed... its a point of failure if you have G6 in mind. not sure how i killed my traxxas micro, but those gears are pretty weak. the brass pinion on the motor ate a bite on the nylon gear, kept going and burned itself out. cant even flip the nylon gear around to the good part.
maybe if somebody makes upgraded gears for those traxxas micro servos? or, see if you can get the GCM mount and use a full sized mounted next to the t-case on the skid? seems you already have a link there for it, and if that's what you have in mind, i say GO FOR IT!
a 13T with a 19 pinion should go like hell in high gear! my 27T with 12 pinion has a nice quick punch but tops off at a slow jog. you might have to sprint to catch it with a 16 pinion! are you going to use that itty bitty 38 tooth spur from the twin hammer again?
i have a spare 48 tooth if you want it. just need to notch the frame a bit.

i just realized is the crawlmaster 13T a 4 pole? so that's what, a 26T in normal 2 pole terms? if so, that *MIGHT* be okay with your gearing. but that's in the same neighborhood as my setup, and with the 48 spur and 12 pinion, its got great get-up-and-go, but tops off at a brisk walk/slow jog.

hope i didn't ramble too much lol but the 2 speed is really a double-edged sword. just need to make sure the shifting is well sorted. (btw, assuming this is all on 3s power?)

*** ONE MORE THING*** even in high gear on a 27T 2 pole Tamiya 540 brushed can... there is zero cogging and plenty of slow speed control. with a 4 pole, it will be even BETTER. you could just gear the holy heck out of a single speed... as long as the temps do alright. (run a fan? roll windows down lol)

Last edited by Shinchu; 04-03-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:03 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
Oh my, that's awesome. Guess I should have went with the 79. Wow is all I can say.

Though I bet I could use them on the other rig I'm building for my daughter with a little modifications.

contact RC Nerds on shapeways with the link i posted. i have been talking with Pawel, and he is helping me with resizing for my JConcepts 79 ford body.
I'm sure he can help you resize for the HPI, just need a dial caliper so you can get length, width, height, and depth of the grill area in millimeters.
*** PM me and i can send you the PDF of the grill that includes a full length "top down" view to see if the curve matches your shell. in my case it was perfect. then just send Pawel the measurements and he can start.

sorry for the side-bar Ernie, just helping a fellow 79'er!

Last edited by Shinchu; 04-03-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:28 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I would never mess with 2 speed myself.. but.. I have a bright idea to manually "swap" between 2 "speeds" on the go by just moving the shaft between a t case and a trans in rig.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:34 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I would never mess with 2 speed myself.. but.. I have a bright idea to manually "swap" between 2 "speeds" on the go by just moving the shaft between a t case and a trans in rig.
They actually sell a kit on shapeways to do just that on the twin hammers. So you could use that on an ascender trans and manually switch it.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2018, 05:36 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
They actually sell a kit on shapeways to do just that on the twin hammers. So you could use that on an ascender trans and manually switch it.

I will be using 2 separate transfer cases.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:16 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I will be using 2 separate transfer cases.
Are you going to do a build thread when you get it all figured out??

Here is a update my rental.
My T-case.

And a start on my sliders.

Thanks for looking.
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 04-03-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:33 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Are you going to do a build thread when you get it all figured out??

Here is a update my rental.
My T-case.

no threads for me anymore. cant keep them up to date. and I only share my secrets with a select few who I know I can trust with them. you are on that list.

may I ask why 32p and not 48p gears? RR makes 5mm 48p gears from 17t and up. nice t case though. I will be starting on mine soon. I think I will use aluminum 2mm sheet to sandwich over some white nylon.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:49 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Man I'm so jealous, if only had my own mill and lathe. Some day if I stop the rc addiction! Cool stuff.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:07 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
no threads for me anymore. cant keep them up to date. and I only share my secrets with a select few who I know I can trust with them. you are on that list.

may I ask why 32p and not 48p gears? RR makes 5mm 48p gears from 17t and up. nice t case though. I will be starting on mine soon. I think I will use aluminum 2mm sheet to sandwich over some white nylon.
Cool, I figure you will send me some photos when you have some progress.
IMO the T-case has a lot of torque applied to the gears so I wanted to go with the strongest combo I could put together (same combo used in GCM T-cases). They are the 5 mm x 32p pinions mounted to hardened drill stock shafts from McMasters. No real theory, just what I thought would work best. They work well in the GCM cases so why not.

Quote:
Man I'm so jealous, if only had my own mill and lathe. Some day if I stop the rc addiction! Cool stuff.

Thanks for the kind thoughts. I don't have a mill but do have access to one at Lunsford Racing if I really want to get serious about something. Having the metal lathe has been a real plus for me. Even though it is a cheaper one from Harbor Freight it has made me a lot of $$ in the Codyboy Design axle building.
I knew what I wanted to do when I was ready to retire, so several years before I did, I started buying equipment and tools a little at a time, built a shop, (24x36) and when I did retire 7 years ago I had most of what I needed. So just follow your dream and make it happen!!!
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 04-05-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Cool, I figure you will send me some photos when you have some progress.
IMO the T-case has a lot of torque applied to the gears so I wanted to go with the strongest combo I could put together (same combo used in GCM T-cases). They are the 5 mm x 32p pinions mounted to hardened drill stock shafts from McMasters. No real theory, just what I thought would work best. They work well in the GCM cases so why not.

Thanks for the kind thoughts. I don't have a mill but do have access to one at Lunsford Racing if I really want to get serious about something. Having the metal lathe has been a real plus for me. Even though it is a cheaper one from Harbor Freight it has made me a lot of $$ in the Codyboy Design axle building. I knew what I wanted to do when I was ready to retire, so several years before I did I started buying equipment and tools a little at a time, built a shop, (24x36) and when I did retire 7 years ago I had most of what I needed. So just follow your dream and make it happen!!!
Ernie
Yah I'm just a young guy yet(41 years young) but you are definitely skilled. Anyone can run the equipment but it takes the creativity and skill to make something cool.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:42 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

so i looked up that twin hammers manual shifter on shapeways.
ehhh... nice idea but would be a pain to use, would have to take the body off and i don't even know if it would work on trucks with the GCM forward mount kit. hmm... back to the drawring board... for me, anyway. (looking more likely i will bite the bullet and pull the trigger on the $50 hitec micro wp with metal gears... wish i could get a deal just walking in. hitec factory/HQ is ~30 min from my house)

meanwhile i revived new2rocks thread about his 2 speed GCM forward motor build... for research ;)
Old 04-21-2018, 07:52 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Ok, I have time for a little update. Nice to have friends who are venders, a costume high clearance skid. I'm using a t-case so wanted a flat top skid, with no tranny mounting holes.

Nice touch Fish!!!

I have the axles rebuilt with a Codyboy touch. Now adding Lunsford Titanium, and checking for any binding and that I'm getting full travel.

Full travel,

Full compression,

More later, thanks for looking!
Ernie

Codyboy's 79 Ford (Rent to Own) Ascender - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
80's Ford Ascender smog Vaterra Ascender 205 12-23-2019 04:28 PM
Codyboy's "bulldog bronco" ascender CODYBOY Vaterra Ascender 280 06-04-2018 10:09 AM
Ford Atlas Ascender 2mtech Vaterra Ascender 11 12-04-2016 06:48 AM