Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: K10 front bumper suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2019, 01:56 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default K10 front bumper suggestions

I have a few cracks in the front of my K10 now, including the grill and looking for a good, but reasonably priced front bumper. No winch mount also. I would prefer a full width and full height, but nothing wrapping too far around the side. Also I don't run a winch.

Any suggestions, even humorous ones much appreciated in advance. Winch mount suggestions will be treated with the contempt they deserve

Last edited by M1tch; 08-03-2019 at 04:24 AM.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2019, 04:08 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: K10 front bumper suggestions

I originally ordered this to fit my Enduro:

https://store.rc4wd.com/Tough-Armor-...10_p_1083.html

But am going to test fit it to my K10 Ascender later today - it may or may not require the RC4WD Ascender universal bumper mount:

https://store.rc4wd.com/Universal-Fr...er_p_4791.html

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 04:20 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Thanks Durok. I have something similar, but it's awkward to fit, and is curved so doesn't follow the line of the grill too well. I don't need an easy bolt on solution, but something that will protect the front on steep drops and sometimes I faceplant the poor thing.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:39 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

This one is straight, so it should line up close to the grille and be nice and protective. It's in my mailbox and I am at work, so sometime this afternoon I will be checking it out.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:30 AM   #5
RCC Addict

The bumper I have now is the same as the one on the left of this photo. Just a cheap ebay item, but not the right shape for the K10's straight front.

Old 08-03-2019, 01:12 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Wertymade!

https://www.amainhobbies.com/wertyma...-wm-18/p665589

https://www.wertymade.com/products/
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:23 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I like the look of the Wertymade, but by the time I import it. I'm spending almost £100 I reckon. Also at 6.5" or 165mm it's a bit narrow as the K10 body is 8" or 200mm.

Yeah Racing TRX4-032BK. I'm not sure how aluminum would hold up, although it looks well made. I cant find any with size of it. It fits the TRX4 Land Rover body, but they just state the width outside of tires.

For TRX-4 - Yeahracing - (#TRX4-032BK) Aluminum Alloy Front Bumper w/LED Light For Traxxas TRX-4 Axial SC

That or the RC4WD ARB D90 bumper at 7.5" 190mm. I can get it from an Ebay shop over here with some discount.

https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-ARB-Fr...10_p_3475.html

Old 08-03-2019, 03:24 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Still looking... although one of the above might do.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:25 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

OK, so I mounted that SCX10 II RC4WD Tough Armor bumper. It isn't what you'd call a direct fit - not if you want to tuck it all the way up under the bottom edge of the grille - but it's an easy fix - super easy if you just want to force it and fix it nice later, but with a Dremel cutting wheel it will fit perfectly after trimming about 1/2" off the mounting tabs. I forced it...

(mainly because my Dremel is hiding from me)

Keep in mind these pictures may look a bit off because I am on the original body - and my grille is cracked off center on the bottom, making it bow out on the passenger side a bit. I have a new cab and grille that I will eventually be painting up, and this bumper will also likely get a winch mounted on it (it has the holes pre-drilled for the RC4WD Warn winch).

The second pic (taken from beneath) was taken before I tightened the bolts down, which basically clamped down and bent the mounts to where it fit without me busting out my Dremel. You can see the bumper has a top plate, a bottom plate with big ol' holes in it (didn't help much with the weight, this is a heavy bumper!) and shackle mounts that kinda stick out a lot. It seems very well built and will likely hold up as well as my Wertymade flat-top stubby stinger-style bumper that I used to run - I loved it but it provides no protection to the corners of the grille - I'll be using it on some later project.

That old WertyMade is visible in my avatar pic...
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2019, 12:39 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Thanks Durok. I did similar with my bumper on the Land Rover Ascender. Bumper was for an SCX10 and all I did was use washers as spacers as the SCX chassis is wider. It's a very nice bumeer using 2 aluminum plates and stainless steel tube. Shame they have gone out of business as I might have bought another.

The Wertymade is nice, but even buying one on it's own, the cost is enough to get hit for import duty!! Of the 2 I posted, the RC4WD seems best, but I need to know the width of the TRX4 Land Rover without arches. I could just assume it's about the same as a K10 and take the chance.

Old 08-04-2019, 04:40 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1tch View Post
Thanks Durok. I did similar with my bumper on the Land Rover Ascender. Bumper was for an SCX10 and all I did was use washers as spacers as the SCX chassis is wider. It's a very nice bumeer using 2 aluminum plates and stainless steel tube. Shame they have gone out of business as I might have bought another.

The Wertymade is nice, but even buying one on it's own, the cost is enough to get hit for import duty!! Of the 2 I posted, the RC4WD seems best, but I need to know the width of the TRX4 Land Rover without arches. I could just assume it's about the same as a K10 and take the chance.
Ah!

Well, why didn't ya say so?

Lolz... I have one of those, too - TRX-4 Land Rover with SSD bumpers front and rear. Body measures 190mm from front corner to front corner, not including flares - on bottom edge of grille.

I took the TRX-4 body off the chassis and put it nose to nose with the K10 - the K10 is about 5mm wider:
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2019, 06:01 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Thanks Durok. Exactly the answer I wanted. Because of the K10 having a flat front, which 'sticks' on everything. Also as I said earlier some steeps drops it gets hit pretty hard if I make a mistake. Reckon I will get the D90 bumper from RC4WD.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:31 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Default K10 front bumper suggestions

I made a bumper from 3/8” steel square bar.

I hammered it into a curve. It sits in tight, actually under the grille a touch. Smoothed our the corners / edges in a grinder. Cut up an angle bracket, to make custom mounts.

It’s about as low profile as you can get for a full width bumper. It has been extremely durable, and has not caused any frame damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:48 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Thanks rkj. but I'm looking for a bumper that protects the grill as well. Nice job though

K10 front bumper suggestions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ascender K10 Front Bumper Tuck rkj__ Vaterra Ascender 35 04-30-2019 06:15 AM