Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: 27th...what's coming?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2018, 04:19 PM   #41

Default Re: 27th...what's coming?

Was: planning to get my son an Ascender Bronco RTR for his 6th bday next month.
Still: planning to get my son an Ascender Bronco RTR for his 6th bday next month.
PeeBrainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2018, 05:30 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Also new tires!, not sure if anyone has mentioned them yet. They look okay, not licensed but they look scale-ish maybe a BFG knock off Mud Terrains or the Flat Irons
Although plenty decent enough, the tires have been around, used on the Twin Hammers:

1.9" Race Claws Tire with Insert (2): Twin Hammers (VTR43001): Vaterra

Tire Compound: Blue
Tire Diameter: 4.19" (106mm)
Tire Tread: Race Claws

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:39 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Ah I didnt realize that, someone did mention Race Claws earlier.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:43 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Imagine how obnoxious that truck would look with 4.75's.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:36 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

So, who's gonna try to graft the quarter panels from the Vaterra C10 onto the Suburban?

Time for truly tiny tires...
Attached Images

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:07 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Yeah I like the look of these better than tsl swampers. Wonder if they bite just as good?

And yeah the bumper thing... Maybe the aftermarket will have a solution *AHEM SSD*
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 01:48 AM   #47
Quarry Creeper

is there still a v2.0 coming? if the body grows on me, it'll be the only thing from this id buy!
rs10man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:27 AM   #48
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
So, who's gonna try to graft the quarter panels from the Vaterra C10 onto the Suburban?

Time for truly tiny tires...
Would make for a great chollo ride, to be sure!
Old 09-28-2018, 10:52 AM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
Yeah I like the look of these better than tsl swampers. Wonder if they bite just as good?

And yeah the bumper thing... Maybe the aftermarket will have a solution *AHEM SSD*
They don't bite as good as the swampers unless there has been some sort of compound change. On the 3 twin hammers I have had, even with softer foams they are on the stiff side as far as the compound goes. Not awful but the swampers work better.
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:52 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

I would probably stuff some smaller 1.55 under this with the v100 fenders per durok's suggestion (challenge accepted???)

And I just realised this pretty much leaked a day early on the 26th, dame day as my son
I think I need one of these... I shall call it... THE BIG DADDY!
Also excited to see what kind of 3d printed bits might come out for it. Interior, etc...
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:21 AM   #51
RCC Addict

Great...you can tell Tyler when he's, like, 10 that he "leaked" a day early.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:09 PM   #52
RCC Addict

Intitally I thought Vaterra had decided to cheap out on the Ascender. But I can understand the reason for reducing the cost as it would mean more buyers and that can really only be good for the hobby in the long run. Upgrades can make these trucks run well and as long as new bodyshells appear regularly it will be good. Having seen that HPi have released an SBK (Scale Builders Kit) Venture, I'm wondering if Vaterra might do the same. I'm not keen on the big bodies like this Suburban, but it will appeal to some people. (I still have my unpainted K5 body in it's box).

All I hope is that Vaterra doesn't become the budget brand and Axial the high end. Long Live the Ascender!! (I hope) and Vaterra.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:59 PM   #53
RCC Addict

Major step backwards here. I don’t understand people saying that they hope Vaterra doesn’t become a budget brand. Look this this release. How does that not validate your concerns? This release is pathetic and Vaterra has let me down. I would honestly be a lot more OK with this had it been a Honcho- or Deadbolt-competitor, but that would mean that a better, big dog truck was released alongside it. The problem with a suburban, as stated earlier in this thread, is that it would require an extremely long wheelbase to maintain the same common width of other trucks. Being so narrow reminds me slightly of the RC4WD Tacoma body this year. I hope this isn’t a trend. Side note: thanks, Axial, for the Blazer body.

From my perspective: this would be like Axial releasing the Deadbolt (downgraded axle gears, links, trans, etc.) as the “new” SCX10-2 when we were expecting an SCX10-3. I just don’t get it.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:10 PM   #54
Sr. Product Developer

Ok, I warned you guys earlier that we would not be redesigning the drivetrain and there would not be a 2.0 version. The idea behind this vehicle was to provide a lower cost pointed licensed vehicle for people on the fence to try a crawler. We included the "full size bettery tray" for them since this was a turn off to the shorty pack and with the 314mm WB, they could find many optional bodies.

So, just to clear all the parts from the OG K5 will bolt on to this chassis. The gears are the same material used in the Twin Hammers and other TLR race vehicles. The trans even under 3S have not been an issue in testing. The links are injection molded with a hardened steel rod insert molded. Since you are not going to be jumping your Ascender at high speeds, there should not be any issues (excpet for the troll who is going to post here that they race their Ascender and jump it) LOL.

In regards to the body, ya it's long but you should have seen how long it would have been if we extended the rear portion to make it "true" to the body and with all the complaints about the K5 being to big...well.... Roof is a little chopped from sharing tooling with the C10 and K10. The fourth door....ya we all missed it, even Chevy did too and they approved every step of the design! We'll make a running change to make it a 3 door in the future.

All this being said, it may not have been aimed directly at the guy who owns a Vaterra, this is aimed at a new user to get into our segment. Hopefully this clears up for you who this vehicle was intended for. Bashing can proceed

As for a true V2, that remains to be seen...but even if i was working on one, you guys should know by now that I could never tell you either way....I'd rather keep my job

Thanks all for the feedback, hate and love.

Rich
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:32 PM   #55
RCC Addict

Don't worry Rich, you don't need to tell us anything, it's more fun guessing what's going to happen
Old 10-01-2018, 04:46 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

I certainly didn't intend to bash, just express disappointment that there wasn't really anything there for someone who already owns 1 or more Ascenders...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:23 PM   #57
RCC Addict

Sure there is, it's a cheap(er) excuse to buy a "loaner" rig, that also provides you with a backup parts source if your existing Ascender needs parts on short notice. Always a silver lining!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:12 AM   #58
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Trujillo View Post
All this being said, it may not have been aimed directly at the guy who owns a Vaterra, this is aimed at a new user to get into our segment. Hopefully this clears up for you who this vehicle was intended for. Bashing can proceed
As finicky hobbyists, it's our duty to act outraged if anything is made without satisfying 100% of our conflicting priorities.

Thanks for the behind-the-scenes information. Very interesting to hear how the sausage is made.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:27 AM   #59
RCC Addict

Some of the posts in the Ascender owners group on Facebook have been pretty funny..
Old 10-02-2018, 09:54 AM   #60
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1tch View Post
Some of the posts in the Ascender owners group on Facebook have been pretty funny..
I'm loving all the super-long green car pics, lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote

27th...what's coming? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
G6 at Ewans Sep 27th byflex11 Michigan 36 09-29-2014 06:40 PM
NorthShore Sunday the 27th psycho rc Tennessee 9 10-27-2013 08:21 PM
Sanford Sat 27th mach1revo Florida 1 11-28-2010 08:09 AM
Kaspers 27th Birthday!!! Stinkyy Wisconsin 9 07-11-2010 09:18 PM
Dec. 27th limited77 South Carolina 5 12-26-2009 07:08 PM