Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: 27th...what's coming?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2018, 09:00 AM   #81
RCC Addict

Default Re: 27th...what's coming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
While we are waiting for the rear link risers to be released, did anyone else notice some Ascender parts (specifically the chassis rails and all the shock components) are now listed as "No longer available" on Horizon's site?

It's getting ridiculous.

BTW, scaler-fab has steel rulrs that work really well. Either with rock sliders integrated or without. I've converted two of mine - worked out well.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2018, 10:47 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Better picture of the new rear RULRs (plastic is very nice fiber reinforced stuff!) and through-hole transmission output shaft that come on the new 1972 Chevy Suburban RTR S, time to upgrade my transmission.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/1-10-19...rtr-p-vtr03094
I had no idea these RULRs were coming from Vaterra. Cool. But are they still coming because I can't find anything.

And what does that transmission buy you?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:37 AM   #83
RCC Addict

I got antsy and had time to kill (like I all too often do) so I helped my neighbor whip up a set of RULR's out of 1/8" aluminum. Nothing special to look at, so no pics, but they just use 2 bolts at the frame and then 3 vertical holes for link adjustment (influenced by the LNC parked next to it on the work bench.) Settled on the lowest of the new holes which is about 12mm higher than stock. That made another small incremental change, which combined with outboarding the lower links and shocks, along with ditching the upper spring on the rear shocks, made the F100 climb much better.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:54 AM   #84
Rock Crawler

Quote:
While we are waiting for the rear link risers to be released, did anyone else notice some Ascender parts (specifically the chassis rails and all the shock components) are now listed as "No longer available" on Horizon's site?
Amain has the receiver box on clearance.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:00 PM   #85

Quote:
WTH!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:03 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
And what does that transmission buy you?

Its not the transmission so much as the new output shaft that has the standard through hole that everything else uses as opposed to the original shafts that had flat spots, super annoying until you've got a few layers of loctite to finally hold the set screws.

At least... I assume thats the only change?

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 12-19-2018 at 12:05 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:06 PM   #87
Rock Crawler

Why would the frame rails get discontinued, unless they're revamping them? Hey, for all Bronco enthusiasts, the Vaterra Bronco body sets (both painted & clear) have been reduced in price. Painted: $69.99 / Clear: $59.99
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:07 PM   #88
RCC Addict

Yup, cleaning inventory and with nothing new on the horizon (pun intended). Aluminum c-hubs and knuckles, aluminum lower links all no longer available now too. Wish I had the money at the time to get a kit for spare parts. Wish I had the money to grab a bronco on eBay now etc etc. I am now way in the know and don’t follow the hobby at all past this site, but I’ve got a bad feeling about our ascenders.

Also, anyone notice the new plastic parts feel like axial plastic and not Vaterra? I only have the battery tray mounts from my F-100 to go by but know those are later pieces because they don’t have the slider mounts. Very soft and flexible. Not the same plastic as the Vaterra slider mounds that the k/5’s had for sure. I’m wondering how the new battery mount and rulr’s are plastic wise. Anywho, kinda bummed that the truck that got me in the hobby is getting watered down and seemingly going to get toy graded eventually.

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:21 PM   #89
Quarry Creeper

I just built a K5 kit. I am now wondering if I should have got the SCX 10 II if there is a chance Vaterra is going to dump support for the Ascender.
Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:40 PM   #90
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomp View Post
I just built a K5 kit. I am now wondering if I should have got the SCX 10 II if there is a chance Vaterra is going to dump support for the Ascender.
Enjoy it - they are a great platform. You can always sell it if you change your mind - always someone wanting an extra chassis. They are much more robust than the stock axial.
Miy built vaterra is a beast in comparison.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:23 PM   #91
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
Yup, cleaning inventory and with nothing new on the horizon (pun intended). Aluminum c-hubs and knuckles, aluminum lower links all no longer available now too. Wish I had the money at the time to get a kit for spare parts. Wish I had the money to grab a bronco on eBay now etc etc. I am now way in the know and don’t follow the hobby at all past this site, but I’ve got a bad feeling about our ascenders.

Also, anyone notice the new plastic parts feel like axial plastic and not Vaterra? I only have the battery tray mounts from my F-100 to go by but know those are later pieces because they don’t have the slider mounts. Very soft and flexible. Not the same plastic as the Vaterra slider mounds that the k/5’s had for sure. I’m wondering how the new battery mount and rulr’s are plastic wise. Anywho, kinda bummed that the truck that got me in the hobby is getting watered down and seemingly going to get toy graded eventually.

Ben
Jesus, I hope you are wrong about the plastic.

Disappearing part support is a serious concern. We've been hearing about new Ascender parts for awhile but they have yet to come to market. It's hard to imagine it difficult to print labels and put the 5 pieces in a bag. Instead all we are seeing are the shelves getting more and more bare by the day. Perhaps Horizon is shuffling around and consolidating some of their parts production, who knows. It's hard to imagine Horizon dropping part support for the Ascender all together, but certainly possible. Wouldn't that be a kick in the nards..
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:49 AM   #92
I wanna be Dave

RULR's are available now
https://www.amainhobbies.com/vaterra...234031/p802640

$20 is a bit steep for such a small part but I've spent far more on much more trivial parts that do nothing for performance.

Side note I just finished making my own RULR's yesterday and just noticed today that Amain has these, funny

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 01-01-2019 at 03:52 AM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:59 AM   #93
RCC Addict

As an aside, Scaler-Fab rock sliders COME WITH rulrs, included in the design.
I think they sell the mounting plates separately - just the rulrs for about $12, and they're steel.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:53 AM   #94
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
RULR's are available now
https://www.amainhobbies.com/vaterra...234031/p802640

$20 is a bit steep for such a small part but I've spent far more on much more trivial parts that do nothing for performance.

Side note I just finished making my own RULR's yesterday and just noticed today that Amain has these, funny
Geez $20.... Might have to just have my friend 3d print me a set.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:24 AM   #95
Rock Crawler

For $14 I was able to relocate the battery across the frame rails and use the extra brackets as RULRs.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

27th...what's coming? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
G6 at Ewans Sep 27th byflex11 Michigan 36 09-29-2014 06:40 PM
NorthShore Sunday the 27th psycho rc Tennessee 9 10-27-2013 08:21 PM
Sanford Sat 27th mach1revo Florida 1 11-28-2010 08:09 AM
Kaspers 27th Birthday!!! Stinkyy Wisconsin 9 07-11-2010 09:18 PM
Dec. 27th limited77 South Carolina 5 12-26-2009 07:08 PM