RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Vaterra Ascender (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-ascender/)
-   -   Recent price drop for Vaterra Ascender? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-ascender/602882-recent-price-drop-vaterra-ascender.html)

RC@33° 10-11-2018 11:27 AM

Recent price drop for Vaterra Ascender?

Not sure are these news to you, but I think HH dropped prices for the Ascender line. Example:
1968 Ford F-100 Ascender 4WD BND (VTR03093) 279US$

https://www.horizonhobby.com/storefr...ores/rc-outlet

Falk

soze 10-11-2018 11:33 AM

Re: Recent price drop for Vaterra Ascender?

That's a pretty good deal!

TheLetterJ 10-11-2018 11:51 AM

Dang, my neighbor just bought an F100 at full pop like a week ago... do I show him? :twisted:

svt923 10-11-2018 12:01 PM

I have absolutely no need for one but a F100 for that price is almost too hard to resist.

It would only be $238 shipped next time a ebay 15% off coupon rolls around. :mrgreen:

Shinchu 10-11-2018 01:00 PM

I've been thinking about another rig... whynot another ascender?!
and at just a hair over $200 with the ebay coupon (i like the way you think sir) sounds like a no brainer.

i would go for the suburban - WAIT don't tell me how bad it sucks with the plastic gears etc... i have a plan. i could just build my own with the extended WB parts and paint my own clear body once it comes out. those are the two big reasons i wouldn't just buy the RTR: plastic transmission gears and... BODY POST HOLES. *shiver* eughh...
so we shall see what these "new longer wheelbase parts" consist of when these things start shipping.
(i also cant friggin wait to see what the 3D printer guys bang out for upgrades to the 'burb body!)

meanwhile the F100 BND is a GREAT deal with the good gears and OG style floating battery tray.
almost bought one for my father in law's b-day but i was told no they need stuff to finish the backyard. pffff so he got a home depot gift card. meh.

JatoTheRipper 10-11-2018 01:11 PM

Ugh! Another sign that Horizon is going to water down the Vaterra brand. Not happy about this.

GA Dawg 10-11-2018 01:43 PM

Only $93.33 a month with easy pay at Tower.

Shinchu 10-11-2018 01:51 PM

wow i could probably sell plasma for a couple months to afford that lol

1fox2go 10-11-2018 01:57 PM

where do you see some of these have metal gears and some have plastic gears?

Trying to talk a friend into getting a crawler and this looks like a good one to get him hooked

M1tch 10-11-2018 02:04 PM

I'm not sure if Vaterra is being made second place to Axial. I really hope not, but if it happens, then no more purchases from either brand for me. I have 2 Ascenders, so don't really want another except for spares maybe. Been looking at that HPi venture builders kit, or something different to a scale truck. Even used Ascenders over here are around 250-300 GBP.

svt923 10-11-2018 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GA Dawg (Post 5875329)
Only $93.33 a month with easy pay at Tower.

(Cue used car dealer announcer voice)

Drive a new Ascender for only $3 a day!

M1tch 10-11-2018 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1fox2go (Post 5875332)

Trying to talk a friend into getting a crawler and this looks like a good one to get him hooked

The kits or maybe some older stock have metal gears.

Natedog 10-11-2018 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1fox2go (Post 5875332)

The only Ascender with plastic tranny gears is the new entry level Chevy Suburban, all other Ascenders are metal transmission gears. "thumbsup"

Shinchu 10-11-2018 10:07 PM

Correct. The only reason I brought up plastic trans gears was when I was talking about the new suburban.
The f100 BND and all others for that matter, have metal gear transmissions.
Sorry if I caused any confusion.

1fox2go 10-12-2018 11:13 AM

Strange the Suburban is higher cost than the Pickups---The early bronco is more expensive as well.

I will try to sway my friend toward the F100--Hes a ford guy

GA Dawg 10-13-2018 08:43 AM

This was my absolute best experience with Tower's free shipping. I bought it on the afternoon on Thursday and had it at my door at 8:30AM on Saturday.

I didn't really do any research on the Ascender other than I don't have one and I like new things. So far, after about an hour I like it. I didn't realize how small of a battery you need for that battery tray. I was using one of my 2S batteries that I keep around for the kids because that is all that I have that will fit. As of right now all I want to do to is is pick up a smaller 3S battery and see what I can do about the torque twist. I think this will be a fun little rig to play around with.

durok 10-13-2018 01:52 PM

You can buy the new-style transverse battery tray if you want to use the bigger battery packs... about $14:

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...kaAr5iEALw_wcB