Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: First Crawler Build - Recommendations Appreciated.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2018, 11:17 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default First Crawler Build!

I am new to RC crawlers, and just bought my son and I each our own ECX Barrage Gen2 1/12 scale crawlers to get our feet wet a few weeks back. I really love it and so does my son and it is fun to have something like this to do as a family. My wife is interested as well so I decided to order an Ascender for myself and give her my Barrage. So last night I ordered what amounts to an Ascender Builders kit. It is an unassembled K5 Kit that had the body, wheels, and tires removed. I got it for a good price and this will work as I wanted to use my own hand picked components to finish the build.

I will be using this more for technical crawling and less trail running, so speed is less of a concern. I have lots of land and can build whatever I like for obstacle courses and use sections I have setup for training on motorcycle trials, which is what my real passion is competing all over the state and country.

I had a few questions about ordering the rest of the parts I will need to complete the build. I will be using a HobbyWing WP1080 ESC and probably getting the Flysky GT3C. However I am wondering what motor I should use. I was looking at getting a 35T 540 or 550, but see some people run other setups. I would like to be able have plenty of power, but not too much that will break things. I would also like to maximize run times if possible. Recommendations appreciated on motors.

Also I think I am going to pair this the Gmade Komodo body as it come with a lot of cool scale parts. This brings me to tires and wheels.

Should I go with 1.9 or 2.2 wheels? I am going to buy a machined aluminum beadlock wheels and probably run some of these wheel weights that look like rotors. I think some larger tires on the 2.2 wheels would be cool, but is there a reason these kits should run the 1.9's that they come standard with?

Thanks a lot for any input.

Dave

Last edited by Stomp; 12-01-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2018, 11:34 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: First Crawler Build - Recommendations Appreciated.

1.9 wheels.

2S battery 35T motor 14T pinion
3S battery. 45T motor 12/11T pinion

I run 45T and 12T pinion with 6000mah 3S.

Set your esc to 2/3 punch to keep the 3S from snapping things.

I have that ESC and radio. Great combo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:01 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Welcome to RCC and congratulations on your new crawlers! Read the stickies and some build threads here, lots of good info. I like 3S (keep battery size 3600mah or less for better crawling), 35T motor, HW WP1080 esc, 1.9 tires/wheels. I'm running full punch with stock pinion/spur gearing and really like it, have only broken one CVD in several years on all my Ascenders.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:44 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Wow, first post. Welcome to the asylum.
I spent 3 years with ATA riding observed trials. With some 45 years of motorcycling the trials riding taught me the most about lines, balance, and traction. Sadly, I'm getting too old to ride. Bit by bit this hobby is replacing it. All the dirtbikes are gone, just a GS left in the garage.

I second what they said. 3s for sure - you can gear to suit.
Only a 540 can motor will fit with the stock battery tray. More on this...
It's hard to beat Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster motor for >$20. Good all around and cheap, replace if you want something more/different.
I've ordered a second Yeah Racing Hackmoto v2 now in 45T to run in one of my newer projects - a resurrected K10. It's a rebuildable motor also sub-$20, but jury is out on it's durability. So far so good, enough to get another one.

You can't beat this battery from Amain: https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek-...116-17/p662759
Dayum...missed the sale. They knocked $10 off for black friday and cyber monday. Maybe over christmas again. Perfect for that short battery tray which I happen to really like. Keeps COG really low. A lot of guys opt for a transverse fixed tray, can then run standard (cheap and big) batteries.

The Ascender is really solid right out of the box. And mods are cheap unless you go bonkers. Lots of little 'free-mod' type setups.

The 2.2 wheels are too big for this chassis IMO. Max tire size for the class is 4.75" and even those are really big on them.

Let us know how it goes. The Ascender kit is really great.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 01:53 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Thumbs up Re: First Crawler Build - Recommendations Appreciated.

Welcome. I run 3s batteries, 30 turn 540 on 1 Ascender, and 21t 550 with a tray similar to stock , but enough room for 2200mah on the other Ascender. Just run it stock and modify as you see fit for how you drive and the terrain. Most of my driving is dirt trails, roots, leaves etc so choose tires and set up for that. Tires choice makes the biggest difference, but the stock Vaterra ones are actually pretty good.

Enjoy
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:52 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thank for the replies. What would be the benefit to choosing either 2S or 3S lipo's? Also is there any reason not to use NiMH? Lipo's always make me a bit nervous.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:01 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomp View Post
Thank for the replies. What would be the benefit to choosing either 2S or 3S lipo's? Also is there any reason not to use NiMH? Lipo's always make me a bit nervous.
Depending on the lipo (the larger the mah) you can crawl for hours.
However, you have to take more care of them, handle them more carefully -especially when you only occasionally use them.
If you aren't crawling all the time/frequently, NiMH will work fine. I got a friend into the hobby, but he gets his crawler out. maybe once a month. The NiMH can just lay around, be recharged and are fairly cheap. So, you just get several and are safe.
I can assure you, in the long run, you will want to have lipos. I started with 2S as I was concerned about "all that power". After several crawlers I only get 3S, as all my electronics are able to handle it.
fxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:25 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Yes, 3S lipo. You'll thank us later. Especially with the upgraded ESC - you can program it to fit your driving stye.

Most noobs want a little more speed for trail walking and 'bashing' around - yeah, it's a term. Then when you start getting into technical crawling you want to slow it back down. Selecting a higher or lower turn motor and changing gearing with the pinion or spur or both, gets you where you want to be. For new drivers, 3S with the stock speed controller is pretty jerky, so a shop will suggest 2s. But that's with a completely stock rig.

You can always limit your top speed with your programmable ESC, so it makes sense to not buy batteries twice. And the 3600mah graphene battery I referenced earlier lasts for freakin' ever. I have never run mine lower than about 50% - even after hours of crawling. Battery life is no longer even a concern. One battery will be all you need to start. And yes, a good smart charger for lipo. You'll catch on fast - taken proper care of they're safe and clearly the only way to go. I gave my nice 2S pack away.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:34 PM   #9
RCC Addict

If you go lipo, ammo boxes are a good storage place for them
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:41 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Difference between 2s and 3s for me was just the extra wheelspeed in some places where it meant I could get over an obstacle where spinning the wheels meant finding grip on wet roots or rocks. That or just a short run up to get enough speed to get over.

I have Castle Mamba max pro in my K10 Ascender and with the castle link and software i can set the throttle curve so I dont get real power until I'm at half throttle on the Tx, then the power ramps up. That way I have good low speed control and can still get good wheelspeed.

2s just doesn't do that for me.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:56 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I can't seem to embed this video. It is a good one by John Holmes about setting up an esc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wvH4A_VqTs
Old 11-27-2018, 06:35 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Welcome to RCC and congratulations on your new crawlers! Read the stickies and some build threads here, lots of good info. I like 3S (keep battery size 3600mah or less for better crawling), 35T motor, HW WP1080 esc, 1.9 tires/wheels. I'm running full punch with stock pinion/spur gearing and really like it, have only broken one CVD in several years on all my Ascenders.

FULL PUNCH? WOW. That’s twitchy fast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:07 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

not to sound like a broken record but... 3S all day. i was scared too but its easy if you just read up and take good care of your batteries. i highly recommend a charger with a "storage" setting.
I've got 2200 Mah 3S on 27T Tamiya 540 "sport" can. its a leftover from my drift cars. i have a couple 35T laying around but... 27 is fun!
i also have the 2 speed option from the Twin Hammers. its great but hard to keep it running. i keep blowing micro servos i need due to space constraints of my GCM forward motor mount kit.
i forgot what pinion im running but i think its a 12 tooth. that's pretty hot for a 27T on 3S but i hardly ever use full throttle for more than 2 second bursts over obstacles. the 2 speed helps if i need to get somewhere fast i can kick it to high and just cruise at like 75% throttle and its moving at a jogging pace.
oh and im in that same club of hobbywing 1080 with full punch. eaaaasy on the trigger...

2.2 tires would be nearly impossible to run on these due to the huge scrub radius hitting shocks when you turn not to mention body rubbing at all times.
besides with 2.2 it would be too easy and the challenge is part of the fun!
because of that im considering a bomber on 1.9 instead of the 2.2 they come with... for some reason i love tiny tires my ascender is on 1.55 wheels.

*i will try to remember to snap a pic of my ascender wearing my yeti 2.2 wheels later when i get home.

Last edited by Shinchu; 11-28-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:18 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I'm in the 3 cell camp as well, when I got back into this my Trx Bronco came with a 3 cell, all I ran before was 2 cell, I now have 6 3 cells lol. I'm also in the 1.55, 1.9 wheel group too, they look more scale and make it more fun I changed my Wraith to the smaller AR44 axles and 1.9 tires, looks much much better!
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:10 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
I'm in the 3 cell camp as well, when I got back into this my Trx Bronco came with a 3 cell, all I ran before was 2 cell, I now have 6 3 cells lol. I'm also in the 1.55, 1.9 wheel group too, they look more scale and make it more fun I changed my Wraith to the smaller AR44 axles and 1.9 tires, looks much much better!
I was the same way with 3s. I always ran 2s in the beginning thinking I don't need that much power. Until I tried it and I haven't ran a 2s since lol.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:34 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
I was the same way with 3s. I always ran 2s in the beginning thinking I don't need that much power. Until I tried it and I haven't ran a 2s since lol.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk
I grabbed 2 2S batteries to start with to purposely have room to grow and keep something new to come. I knew I would at least get a crawler/do most and maybe would want something fast later if this didn't do it for me. I told my buddy who got me in the hobby there was levels to everything. You need to have tobasco sauce, then maybe some store low grade hot sauce, then some craft sauce at a bbq joint, and then maybe the stuff that has warning labels on it. If you go straight for the ghost pepper or carolina reaper because you didn't get to enjoy the ride and work your way up and you respect the levels you move up maybe more.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Jackalo626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:26 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I grabbed a couple 2s packs for my sons barrage and those are the best use ever. Seriously 3s would blow the barrage running gear to smithereens. I use the nimh it came with to run dedicated lights ;)

*dern it just realized I forgot to snap a pic of my truck on 2.2 wheels lol maybe later...

Last edited by Shinchu; 11-29-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:57 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for all the replies. I just had a few more questions.

-If I go 3S how much more wear will I put on the truck?

-If I do not care about going fast is the 3S add anything? If it can just keep up with a walking pace I am fine with that.

-If I go 3S will the stock gearing still work?

-Would I want a 35T or 45T motor with 3S?

Thanks again.

Last edited by Stomp; 12-02-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:54 PM   #19
RCC Addict

3s does not increase wear. Crawlers dont really “wear out” unless you break them. A bit easier to break on 3s, but common sense prevails.
3s just works better - stock gearing with a 35T is a good balance. If you want it faster or slower you can change the pinion gear - $5.

So yeah, a 35T is a good place to start. Ive been running that in my first 3 rigs for the past year. Now starting to specialize rigs and fine tune. A couple of them I go up a tooth or two on the pinion for more wheel speed. Just tried a 45T with stock 14t pinion and its good for crawling but not very fast. For trail walking a little more speed is nice. For comp-crawling a little less.

Last edited by Browneye; 12-02-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:22 AM   #20
RCC Addict

As above basically. I would go 3s anyway. It's easier to 'detune' 3s than try to get extra wheelspeed from 2s. Esc's are so tunable these days that it seems pointless running 2s to me.

First Crawler Build - Recommendations Appreciated. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RTR TF2 build (Tips Appreciated) PNWRC RC4WD Trail Finder 2 10 09-22-2017 03:10 AM
My first Hardbody build - tips and critique appreciated WesTX Paint and Body 17 09-14-2015 04:24 PM
First SCX-10 Build (Guidance Appreciated!) sdhsbaseball Axial SCX-10 11 02-18-2014 10:45 PM