Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Stomp's Vaterra Ascender Build!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2018, 10:40 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Stomp's Vaterra Ascender Build!

Stomp's Vaterra Ascender Build

This is my first time building an RC Crawler and seeing as I am really excited about it, I wanted to start a thread to share my journey. I built a few RC nitro cars back in the early 90's when I was a young whipper snapper, hehe, but this is a different beast then I am used to.

For some time I have wanted to build an RC Rock Crawler kit, and finally decided on the Vaterra Ascender, however the kits have been discontinued for some time. With a bit of searching I was able to find a K5 Blazer Kit that is new in the package, but the body, wheels, and tires were removed. This works for me as I wanted a different body and wheels anyways, and because of the missing parts, I got a pretty good deal on it.

-I will be using a HobbyWing WP1080 ESC with program card.

-I will probably be getting the Flysky GT3C radio to use with this truck.

-I think I will go with a Yeah Racing Hackmoto 35T 540 motor to start.

-I am still undecided as to whether or not to use a 2S or a 3S battery with it.

-I ordered a set of aluminum beadlock wheels with a set of super swamper tires.

-I am thinking of maybe a Gmade Komodo body as I like all the scale items included like the door handles, mirrors, bumper, grills, roof rack, etc.

Tonight I built group A and B. It tool longer then anticipated not because of building, but because of documenting. However that was part of the fun for me.

On to the build. Group A went together quite easily. A-8 is not shown because I do not have my motor yet, and A-10 is not shown because it is just putting in 4 set screws on the drive shafts to mount them to the trans.

Here is the whole kit in bags A-G

In Group A we will will end up with this transmission.

Build Process for Group A.

Last edited by Stomp; 12-01-2018 at 11:21 PM.
Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2018, 10:52 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Stomp's Vaterra Ascender Build!

Make sure you read this thread before you start building! Things to know before you start building your Ascender...
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:18 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Make sure you read this thread before you start building! Things to know before you start building your Ascender...

Thanks. That was the first thing I did. Hopefully I did not miss anything though.

Group B will be coming tomorrow. I just wasted a ton of time trying to upload those photos and now need to get to bed. Stay tuned, more to come.

Group B went together without any problems. The most fiddly part was B-6&7.

Here is the finished front axle:

Here are all the steps:

Last edited by THX_138; 12-22-2018 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Merged, posts a minute apart
Old 12-02-2018, 10:32 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Makes me want to get a kit!

Thanks for posting pics of your kit build, it's been a while since someone has posted something like this here.

If I were building a new kit, I would replace the transmission output shaft and drive shaft ends with the new upgraded parts that have a thru pin like the wheel hexes.

What wheel base are you making? If you require the optional sideways steering servo mount, you will also need the shorter steering link to replace the 38mm in step B-10, Vaterra missed this part in earlier kits, maybe it is in your kit?
Yeti.stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:58 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti.stealth View Post
Makes me want to get a kit!

Thanks for posting pics of your kit build, it's been a while since someone has posted something like this here.

If I were building a new kit, I would replace the transmission output shaft and drive shaft ends with the new upgraded parts that have a thru pin like the wheel hexes.

What wheel base are you making? If you require the optional sideways steering servo mount, you will also need the shorter steering link to replace the 38mm in step B-10, Vaterra missed this part in earlier kits, maybe it is in your kit?

Thanks for the comment. Yeah I could see how the trans output shaft with through pins would be better. Maybe I will look into this in the future.

I am going shortish, 11.4" merely because I think I am going to go with the Gmade Komodo body. Hopefully going this WB will be ok and I will not wish I had gone 12.36". I think for what we are doing here with lots of rocks and logs this will work though. I can always change it later I guess.

The steering link that came with the kit was the 38mm, so I guess I will be good. I wonder if I will need a longer one in the future if I decided to stretch the WB?

Thanks again.

I finished Group C and D, which was the rear axle and the chassis tonight. I did not take progress pic's this time because Group C (rear axle) is just a simplified version of the front, and I was not sure if anyone was interested in all the photos. I will take pictures of the finished chassis and maybe do more detailed pictures if people are interested. If not I might just get this build done as taking all those photos, editing, uploading, and linking them here takes a lot of time.

Last edited by THX_138; 12-22-2018 at 06:57 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:44 AM   #6
RCC Addict

The 38mm steering link is correct for the WB3 and WB4, as the steering servo is installed longitudinally, and still leaves clearance for the stock floating battery tray.
Yeti.stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:30 AM   #7
RCC Addict

It almost seems odd that someone is building a kit about 4 years after the Ascender was introduced. It's still interesting though, and members here can always suggest things to do as you build. Keep it up and have fun on the first drive.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:08 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomp View Post
I finished Group C and D, which was the rear axle and the chassis tonight. I did not take progress pic's this time because Group C (rear axle) is just a simplified version of the front, and I was not sure if anyone was interested in all the photos. I will take pictures of the finished chassis and maybe do more detailed pictures if people are interested. If not I might just get this build done as taking all those photos, editing, uploading, and linking them here takes a lot of time.
I think it may be helpful to others to post the pics, I know there are a lot of build threads but sometimes it's a different perspective. The hobby shop I went to the other day had at least 5 K5 Blazer kits in a stack I would have bought one but with Xmas coming I didn't wanna spend the money. It's amazing there are still kits out there.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:49 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Well I finished the build, but just decided to get it done and not take all the pictures. Overall it went pretty well. The WB2 wheelbase does not seem very well thought out, but I made mods to make it work. I will post pictures this weekend. I will not finish it will Christmas as I am getting the radio and body at that time. I have the steering servo and motor in and will probably get the motor and ESC soldered up in the next week. Then when I get the radio and body I can quickly get it running.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:55 PM   #10
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomp View Post
Well I finished the build, but just decided to get it done and not take all the pictures. Overall it went pretty well. The WB2 wheelbase does not seem very well thought out, but I made mods to make it work. I will post pictures this weekend. I will not finish it will Christmas as I am getting the radio and body at that time. I have the steering servo and motor in and will probably get the motor and ESC soldered up in the next week. Then when I get the radio and body I can quickly get it running.
Mine is the F100 Ascender which is WB2 based, although mine started out as a RTR version. Interested in seeing what you did as I thought everything fit well in mine and like most I have changed it around to fit my needs. Really like my Ascender overall.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stomp's Vaterra Ascender Build! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Complete: Vaterra Ascender fyrstormer Vaterra Ascender 24 07-08-2018 05:33 AM
Vaterra Ascender Build. Spirit_ Vaterra Ascender 27 06-08-2017 02:43 PM
Harley's Vaterra Ascender Build Harley Vaterra Ascender 210 11-23-2015 09:27 AM